• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[DF] Marvel's Avengers PS5 vs Xbox Series S/X

j0hnnix

Game Show Walking GIF by ABC Network

NullZ3r0

Banned
What does this even mean? DF said that the 60 fps ps5 performance mode is better looking than the pro quality version.
The PS4 version is using the CB. The PS5 version is also using CB. The Xbox versions don't use CB. They didn't re-write the rendering code. No developer does this and it's typical for "enhanced" versions of games so far this generation. They just port the engine to the newer consoles.

Fbh

I'm pretty sure PS5 never has a higher res than XSX in this game.

Natively I don't know, they don't mention it.
But the output resolution is usually higher than on the Series X version yet it doesn't result in a better image. Which is the point the video is making.

The most boring comparison ever still gets us a couple of meltdowns..

MtZ9N.gif

Dude we have 3 pages thread on the Yakuza Like a Dragon comparison.
A game that runs at the same res on both systems and with mean performance difference of 0.01 fps (59.89 on Ps5 59.9 on SX)

JackMcGunns

Bathallia at best.

“A loading segment that took over a minute on PS4 Pro resolves in four seconds on PlayStation 5 rising to around six seconds on Series X. This is where the notion of percentage differences in performance is at odds with the actual experience - yes, Xbox Series consoles take 50 per cent longer to complete a load than PlayStation 5, but when the difference is just two seconds, the difference in the user experience is not especially noticeable.”

This can't be a serious post, come on! Ethomaz, you're better than this. Loading over a minute is a problem that the SSD has fixed by reducing the loading to mere seconds. One example shows 4:32 Vs 6:29, both are extremely quick to load compared to over a minute.

But lets be real here, 1:97 seconds is something you want glossed over? I get what you're saying about percentages, but it would actually be deceiving to use percentages for such small numbers, for example, in a scenario where it took 0.45 seconds on PS5 and 0.9 seconds on XSX, you can claim a 100% performance boost from PS5, but it reality it just loaded 1/2 second faster, anyone just looking at percentages would say HOLY SHIT 100% difference when 0.5s is basically nothing.

Last edited:
The PS4 version is using the CB. The PS5 version is also using CB. The Xbox versions don't use CB. They didn't re-write the rendering code. No developer does this and it's typical for "enhanced" versions of games so far this generation. They just port the engine to the newer consoles.
The ps5 quality mode uses native resolution while the ps4 pro quality mode uses CB. So they actually removed CB from the quality mode thus your theory doesn’t have any weight . They kept CB in the performance mode for a reason.

Mr Moose

The ps5 quality mode uses native resolution while the ps4 pro quality mode uses CB. So they actually removed CB from the quality mode thus your theory doesn’t have any weight . They kept CB in the performance mode for a reason.
It's native on the Pro in the other mode, so they just switched it around.

skneogaf

I'd rather it load in 6 seconds instead of 4 seconds and have the game looking the best console wise.

The drops on playstation will unfortunately be noticeable whereas vrr will fix the two series versions.

Hopefully Sony come out with a vrr firmware soon as all three consoles keep having little performance dips on games.

Last edited:

NullZ3r0

Banned
I was under the impression that both modes were CB for the PS5. I got nothing else, man! You got me.

I'm just trying to be fair and balanced. I knew the SX would start pulling away but I didn't expect it until all this cross gen fodder was gone.

I was under the impression that both modes were CB for the PS5. I got nothing else, man! You got me.

I'm just trying to be fair and balanced. I knew the SX would start pulling away but I didn't expect it until all this cross gen fodder was gone.
Generally the cross gen theory is wrong anyway. Ultra powerfull PCs are running games better than the new consoles despite the games being cross gen. Being cross gen doesn’t mean that devs, aren’t trying their best to take advantage of every platform. If cross gen games were that easy to look and run flawlessly then every cross gen game would have been native4k/locked 60 fps on both ps5&XSX.

DJ12

DF is is saying resolution "doesn't matter" because they are biased against Xbox?

Excuse Me What GIF by One Chicago
Don't get it twisted, they say resolution doesn't matter because the epic dev public called them out about it.

Guess they cannot really argue the point when they failed at pixel counting the ue5 demo and had to ask.

Leyasu

Banned
Cross generational programming is not the same as current generation programming.
Where were you when the parties were in full swing for the PS5 "wins" of the cross-gen launch games that were so potent, they had already maxed the XsX? Everything was on the table from Cerny sauce, to the XsX being the most bottlenecked system ever etc.. Carnival of stupidity doesn't even come close to an accurate description.

Anyway. I do agree that we shouldn't really be reading too much into the performance patches of cross-gen games

S0ULZB0URNE

Where were you when the parties were in full swing for the PS5 "wins" of the cross-gen launch games that were so potent, they had already maxed the XsX? Everything was on the table from Cerny sauce, to the XsX being the most bottlenecked system ever etc.. Carnival of stupidity doesn't even come close to an accurate description.

Anyway. I do agree that we shouldn't really be reading too much into the performance patches of cross-gen games
Yeah

Video games wars have been a real thing since kids in school were fighting over TG16 vs Sega Genesis vs Snes.

We argue over everything gaming.

Why are people calling these things patches ? These are new ports not patches.

S

Shodan09

Unconfirmed Member
Another convincing win for series X. They just keep adding up.

Popup

I feel it would be great if DF did a video on the various scaling and upscaling techniques used in any particular platform. Richard recently pointed out just how much he admired and also wished to know more about the solution being used by Insomniac for Spider-Man.

We know from the past that first party studios often shared their gained knowledge and coding related efficiency gains with each other for the better good.

It would be good to see how Insomniacs methods stack up against other solutions out there.

I also think it would be great if DF did a few videos, to serve as a glossary of sorts about the various modern graphical features and how they have evolved or other general videos detailing the terms they use etc.

cireza

Native resolution is better than any technique of reconstruction, that will always lead to unwanted problems, blur, artifacts or whatever.

Lethal01

Who cares if it's ported, it's ported from a version that's more "next gen" then the consoles can even handle

That really doesn't matter. You can port from a version of a game that is made to run on a RTX 3090 but if you just ship it as soon as you have something that's running then that port isn't optimized from the console and isn't taking advantage of the hardware at all.

I'm sure this port is leaving some features of the hardware almost entirely untouched, and just last week devs for another port said they didn't do anything to optimize for the SSD's because what they got out of the box was good enough since it's just a port.

Last edited:

Lethal01

Thanks for cropping out the part of the post that was the point of me replying to him.
"saying this game isn't using the console's capabilities is patently false"

It's not false, this port isn't a good showcase of the console's capabilities, since it's just a port, it being a port of a PC game is irrelevant.

This can't be a serious post, come on! Ethomaz, you're better than this.
is he? Isn’t this the guy who tried to argue technical shit about Series X with an actual Series X engineer, only to spectacularly backpedal into the “oh I was just guessing, how can I be wrong???” defense. Look at his tag and his admitted PS fanboy shtick. Of course he is going to take issue if he feels DF doesn’t glorify a 2 second advantage in PS5 loading enough.

Alex said it was an advantage for PS5. He just didn’t say it was enough of an advantage for ethomaz to be happy.

BlackTron

Both systems will deliver breathtaking, legit next-gen experiences with shockingly good graphics...once they fully shed the skin of last gen and new game development hits its stride.

And while waiting for that, we are so desperate for reassurances, that we squabble over the tiniest of minutia. And basing a whole gen purchase decision on how they run a last-gen game in performance mode. Now if PS5 was running several next-gen games with that kind of ugly CB problem it would definitely point out a hardware weakness. Let me know when that happens.

If you have lots of extra money, buy them both for crissakes...otherwise stop pretending like you can already call the next gen hardware race because of fucking Avengers, and wait for the real-life evidence of next gen games running on the systems...both the performance, and the content.

I would expect it to be something like SNES and Genesis, where each delivered their own games truly relevant to the gen, with a toss-up of hardware specs. Just because you got an SNES for Final Fantasy doesn't have to mean everyone who got a Genesis for Sonic is an idiot who doesn't understand quality. Regardless of the specs.

I think the PS5's SSD is a bigger deal than just "2 seconds", but I also think the same of Xbox's beefier specs. Neither one will smoke the other, they will each have their own hand to play.

Of course the typical clowns parading around as Neutrals are in here. Most if not all of you were singing completely different tones up until the launch of these consoles. Only to become neutrals when the comparisons came out. It didn’t take much time for your inherent biases to spring back to the surface.

JackMcGunns

is he? Isn’t this the guy who tried to argue technical shit about Series X with an actual Series X engineer, only to spectacularly backpedal into the “oh I was just guessing, how can I be wrong???” defense. Look at his tag and his admitted PS fanboy shtick. Of course he is going to take issue if he feels DF doesn’t glorify a 2 second advantage in PS5 loading enough.

Alex said it was an advantage for PS5. He just didn’t say it was enough of an advantage for ethomaz to be happy.

I mean he was pretty cool responding in a TV related thread, don't know him like that lol.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Lower Res but better IQ, Maybe it's best to disable the CB rendering

Although he does say the overall picture is sharper.
But details is better then just a sharp image

Shmunter

One of the better from Alex imo, Higher res =/= Image quality. Too bad the gameplay seems boring because it looks damn good sometimes.

Also, whats going on in this scene? Lighting? The Series X has better IQ and text in other scenes:
2fAytrR.png
When the CB is working well it should in theory be closer to 4k.

Having seen the video, there seems to be no confirmation XsX is indeed rendering native. ?!? There seems to be insinuation it is using a type of TAA reconstruction? Have I missed something? Happy to take a quote or timestamp if wrong.

Last edited:
Top Bottom