• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[DF]MASS EFFECT Legendary Edition PS5 vs Xbox Series S/X

Corndog

Banned
Should they even care? How about the actual new games on PS5...Ratchet and Clank look like a joke? I would say we could compare the two consoles but well....the Medium is the only thing out for XBOX for "first party" and we have to wait for Halo or something next
So you only want people to look at Sony’s strengths and not it’s weaknesses? Both consoles have their good and bad points. Let’s not ignore either.

Kangx

So Xbox fans should pretend they both run the same? Why not just let it go.
Wait what? What conversation are we having here? Read my quote on that person again. At no point did I mention about the same. We all know Microsoft have more flexible with their backward compat versus Sony. Wait... what am I even trying explain to you here since my quote respond to that person is entirely misquoted by you.

Last edited:

JackMcGunns

wow PS5 drops to 36 fps in quality mode with the SX locked 60 all the time

I’m also impressed with the framerate difference in framerate mode, Series X runs at 120 (with some nastiest drops WAY over 60). However on the PS5, you would think that in framerate mode it really is also running 120 with drops, but just forced down to 60 because of the PS5 setup/restrictions/Sony policy, or as someone put it, being “Throttled” but here you see that even in framerate mode it drops below 60, meaning there is no overhead, the ACTUAL framerate is near 60.

oFzBS5N.jpg

Last edited:

Kangx

I was going to say the same thing.

So since the new Xbox systems have some good BC features, those games aren't allowed to be compared.

Talk about cherry

I was going to say the same thing.

So since the new Xbox systems have some good BC features, those games aren't allowed to be compared.

Talk about cherry picking.
We all acknowledge Xbox have a more flexible back compact solution compare to the ps5. When we compare games, we want to compare their native version because this is where we see the full strength of both systems. Usually most back compat game are pro and Xbox one version with unlock frame rate. Pro version are mostly the inferior version. I'm done explaining.

Kangx

Maybe but let's compare call of the sea when the latest pc/xbox patch comes out. That's all I am saying.
Yea, let's wait. Until then, if you want to play Call of Sea, the ps5 is the vasty superior version. Same thing with mass effect, just get the xbox version if you want to play the game.

Last edited:

Boss Mog

People shouldn't use this game as any kind of example since XB1 code is pretty close to being native Series S/X code whereas that's not the case between PS4 and PS5. If EA was to create a native PS5 version it could run also run at 120fps and probably load faster than Series X. Compare native versions only if you want to compare.

skit_data

Hmmm... hard to decide wether Dark Souls 3 with its 900p@30fps on Series X/1800p@60fps on PS5 or this game is what truly displays these consoles capabilities. Gotta think long and hard about this.

Last edited:

Corndog

Banned
People shouldn't use this game as any kind of example since XB1 code is pretty close to being native Series S/X code whereas that's not the case between PS4 and PS5. If EA was to create a native PS5 version it could run also run at 120fps and probably load faster than Series X. Compare native versions only if you want to compare.
The reason doesn’t matter does it? Actual results do. So for back compat games Xbox delivers a superior result. Only new games it’s a mixed bag.

silent head

rtx 3060 1440p
ehPmIjO.jpg

Xbox Series X 1440p

T6b3OmS.jpg

That is the only game I think and even that was not a demanding one. It also proves that the tools, devs is what going to make the difference if any because both consoles are evenly matched.
qGgUeaJ.png

rx 5700 ( 8 TFLOPS RDNA 1 ) run at 4K 60

nowhat

The frame drops on PS5 are quite annoying
Just played through the first game, and what puzzles me is that sometimes the frame rate just tanks without any visible/logical explanation. Like when entering the tram in Noveria - there are no enemies, it's a small environment and not that detailed either. Yet panning the camera is really janky.

Allandor

It depends if they have an actual ps5 version, which you see like this explained in that article:

PlayStation version

EDIT: on computer, here are the menu images and precisions on what the modes compatibility modes are:
Game with an actual PS5 version
how-to-check-youre-playing-the-ps5-version-of-cross-gen-games-1.original.jpg

PS4 game:
how-to-check-youre-playing-the-ps5-version-of-cross-gen-games-2.original.jpg

Games that don't have the specific ps5 version run in compatibility mode (reduced clock speeds and disabled CUs in base ps4 mode).

• Native Mode - Fully unlocks the Navi GPU at 2.23GHz for next-gen games
  • PS4 Pro Legacy Mode - Downscales the GPU to 911MHz, 218GB/sec bandwidth, and 64 ROPs to emulate the PS4 Pro
  • PS4 Legacy Mode - Drops the GPU to 800MHz with 176GB/sec bandwidth and 32 ROPs to emulate the base PS4

Read more: https://www.tweaktown.com/news/7136...that-some-ps4-games-cant-handle-it/index.html

MS has a much better approach to how they integrated the generational jump.
Well, that is not correct. PS5 seems to have multiple BC-modes. Else we wouldn't get higher res + framerate in some games than PS4 Pro in GPU limited scenes. E.g. this game wouldn't run at 4k60 while running in BC mode. So new games should already use all the GPU & CPU power in BC mode, but not the featureset of PS5.

Last edited:

MonarchJT

Banned
Cerny and Sony did an real poor work around BC ...basically the hw emulation of the PS4 pro is limiting their machine ..and in the future (with more and more powerful machines) if they don't find a solution it will be even worse
Xbox OS where everything is virtualized and not directly correlated to the hardware seems to definitely reward the console Ms both, at the moment, and in the future. Let's face it if there will be a "series x pro" games in BC will be even better .... on a "PS5 pro" in the same way as what we are seeing. in the end what matters are the results ... with all inremasters coming out and all the advantages they have on the Xbox console over the Sony one.

Last edited:

Pull n Pray

Banned
Well, that is not correct. PS5 seems to have multiple BC-modes. Else we wouldn't get higher res + framerate in some games than PS4 Pro in GPU limited scenes. E.g. this game wouldn't run at 4k60 while running in BC mode. So new games should already use all the GPU & CPU power in BC mode, but not the featureset of PS5.
Good point. I think the main reason XSX does better than PS5 on BC games is because there is no longer a big gap in dev kit familiarity and ease of use. So it just comes down to the raw power of the CPU and GPU.

skit_data

It effectively has 4 modes

Native mode = PS5 clockspeeds and further features
Boost mode = PS5 clockspeeds BC
PS4 Pro mode = PS4 Pro clockspeeds BC
PS4 mode = Base PS4 clockspeeds BC

He doesn’t specify wether this is running in Boosted mode or PS4 Pro mode. It should do better in Boosted mode, but it also seems strange that it would downclock. It doesn’t make any sense that the res and fps would drop this much running in Boost mode. These graphs would make more sense if it was running in PS4 Pro mode.

Edit: Actually they don’t make much sense for PS4 Pro mode either, scratch that. It doesn’t make sense in any mode.

Last edited:

Md Ray

I’m also impressed with the framerate difference in framerate mode, Series X runs at 120 (with some nastiest drops WAY over 60). However on the PS5, you would think that in framerate mode it really is also running 120 with drops, but just forced down to 60 because of the PS5 setup/restrictions/Sony policy, or as someone put it, being “Throttled” but here you see that even in framerate mode it drops below 60, meaning there is no overhead, the ACTUAL framerate is near 60.

oFzBS5N.jpg
Because it's likely running at reduced clock speed due to it purely being a PS4 game and not a native app.

Allandor

He doesn’t specify wether this is running in Boosted mode or PS4 Pro mode. It should do better in Boosted mode, but it also seems strange that it would downclock. It doesn’t make any sense that the res and fps would drop this much running in Boost mode. These graphs would make more sense if it was running in PS4 Pro mode.

Edit: Actually they don’t make much sense for PS4 Pro mode either, scratch that. It doesn’t make sense in any mode.
I would just guess it is a software issue ;), as these drops don't make sense at all.

Pull n Pray

Banned

The one big drop during the cut scene was an anomaly. It mostly held to 60, with small drops here and there. If those are indeed the only 4 modes, then clearly it is running in boost mode because the PS4 Pro doesn't do 4K/60.

Last edited:

xrnzaaas

The trilogy should've gotten proper next-gen releases which wouldn't rely on BC. But I guess they'll want to milk that a year-two years from now when they'll release new remasters.

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
Let’s be honest, I don’t think this game should be held as a visual benchmark for either the Series X or PS5.
Yep it's exactly like their NFS hot pursuit remaster, Ea pulls out a low budget, low ambition shitty "remaster" and people jump to conclusion.
So I will say exactly the same thing that when their hot purshit dropped and had advantages on ps5, "this game is not a benchmark and not at all representative of both console's power".
It's like judging the previous gen based on early unity games.

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
We all acknowledge Xbox have a more flexible back compact solution compare to the ps5. When we compare games, we want to compare their native version because this is where we see the full strength of both systems. Usually most back compat game are pro and Xbox one version with unlock frame rate. Pro version are mostly the inferior version. I'm done explaining.
I agree but that is depending on how you view those comparisons if you view them at Xsx vs ps5 power it's meaningless but if you see them just a game comparison they are interesting and shows a clear advantage for xsx....But most people will go to console war territory and jump to conclusions about x or y console power, which is stupid.

Because a shitty BC remaster doesn't show the true power of either console and even moreso of the ps5 considering its more limited use of power in BBC titles as we see here.

Top Bottom