• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[DF] Nixxes tech interview on Spiderman Remastered PC port

https://www.eurogamer.net/digitalfo...an-remastered-on-pc-the-nixxes-tech-interview

Some highlights:

1) Port console unified memory (RAM+VRAM) to PC.

I wouldn't say that it was a serious rethink, but there were definitely some challenges there. They actually use some read-back information, which we definitely need to copy stuff around [from system memory to video memory, for example] which they can just read [from unified memory on PlayStation]. But those are fairly minor changes. It's just an extra copy.

On the performance side, it caused more trouble than we wanted.

2) More powerful Ray Tracing reflections on PC

I mean, the most powerful PCs are more powerful than a PlayStation 5. So it was cool to give those people something more nice to look at, to push it further because we have more power available for those people.

3) A CPU-bound game on PC

The PS4 CPU cores were not so stellar and the PS5 and the PCs were far more powerful. With the PS5, that gap has certainly gotten smaller. And there's still quite a few things on the PC where there's more overhead, like the APIs have more overhead, we don't have the decompressor for example, we don't have hardware doing decompression for us as we're streaming in content - that gets left to the CPU. So we certainly have more CPU challenges to go around even when we're doing the same things. And then if we don't dial down things that are dialled down on the console, we now have even more work to do on the CPU.

it's even worse for us because we also have the added overhead of the abstraction layer to DX12 and the DXR abstraction layer, which is obviously very lean on the Sony side. So even if you have a more powerful CPU than on the PlayStation 5, you might still end up with a lower frame-rate.

4) DX12 and Vulkan on Pipeline State Object (PSO) compilation

...this is a recent addition for Vulkan might have added the ability to split this out. But it doesn't make it a lot better. It's just a bit better than DX12.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Can I Have Some More Oliver Twist GIF

T-Cake

I think unified memory is an interesting hiccup. I guess games really should be designed for PCs first - then ported to console where the unified memory can possibly improve things better. But trying to go the other way causes headaches, this is what happened to Batman: Arkham Knight on PC.

Perhaps going forward, Sony first party will start to include PC from the beginning to streamline things.

Last edited:

SeraphJan

The PS4 CPU cores were not so stellar and the PS5 and the PCs were far more powerful. With the PS5, that gap has certainly gotten smaller. And there's still quite a few things on the PC where there's more overhead, like the APIs have more overhead, we don't have the decompressor for example, we don't have hardware doing decompression for us as we're streaming in content - that gets left to the CPU. So we certainly have more CPU challenges to go around even when we're doing the same things. And then if we don't dial down things that are dialled down on the console, we now have even more work to do on the CPU.

it's even worse for us because we also have the added overhead of the abstraction layer to DX12 and the DXR abstraction layer, which is obviously very lean on the Sony side. So even if you have a more powerful CPU than on the PlayStation 5, you might still end up with a lower frame-rate.
I'm curious to know how much CPU headroom we need for PC architecture (which without these console specified hardware features) to match PS5 performance

Last edited:
I'm curious to know how much CPU headroom we need for PC architecture to match PS5 performance without these console specified hardware features

I guess Direct Storage could help, but they're still not working on it.

For in-game purposes, I think that's when when it [Direct Storage] becomes interesting, right when there's this CPU core being fully utilised just to facilitate decompression, freeing up that CPU core if we were able to do that... that would be that's an exciting future, but not where we we're at right now.

ChiefDada

Gold Member

What a shame. When myself and others said this exact same thing, people accused us platform warring. I wonder if those same people will assign that label to Nixxes as well?

I would assume abstraction layers, having to account for different hardware and infinite variations for PC builds. The more custom an engine that is designed to flex PS5 i/o, the worse the abstraction bottleneck, I presume.

In short-term they will use brute force as they've done in the past. The issue for PC then is the on paper compute advantage will not translate 1 to 1 with real world performance, as we are seeing with Spiderman Remastered. If I'm not mistaken, RC Rift Apart was also in the GForce leak, will be interesting to see PC performance comparison since it utilizes PS5 i/o much more.

ShakenG

I think unified memory is an interesting hiccup. I guess games really should be designed for PCs first - then ported to console where the unified memory can possibly improve things better. But trying to go the other way causes headaches, this is what happened to Batman: Arkham Knight on PC.

Perhaps going forward, Sony first party will start to include PC from the beginning to streamline things.
🤔🤔 None of this sounds realistic and i cant see it ever happening.
Why would Playstation devs prioritise PC first over its own systems?

ShakenG

"Why would Sony put its games on PC?" is a similar question we thought would never happen a few years ago.
I dont see how its a similar question, im not seeing any relevance.

I dont know how Microsoft do things but i cant see Sony making game first for PC and porting to console. How would they do it? Genuinely curious.

That would make their games far less impressive and remove many of the advantages that the PlayStation as a console has.

I hope that will never happen 💃

T-Cake

I dont know how Microsoft do things but i cant see Sony making game first for PC and porting to console. How would they do it? Genuinely curious.

Surely the same way any third party dev does it? You can either work with DirectX first and then use GNMX on PS which results in more overhead or you rewrite some code and use the lower level GNM.

But I suppose we're really yet to see anything that truly takes advantage of PS5. All the stuff that's coming across so far have been PS4 games. Returnal will be the first big test.

ACESHIGH

Banned
Lots of non answers from them. They should cater to the PC strengths when porting a game to the platform.
So far Days gone has been the only stellar Sony first party PC port. All the others had (HZD) or have (God of war/spiderman) issues.

At least DF were actually inquisitive this time instead of blowing big devs like they typically do. God of war was a "superb" PC port by them. An even worse CPU hog with significant issues on AMD HW. You don't patch 10 times a game if it's a superb port

Last edited:
Awesome Sunday thread to lvl the ground a bit with the crazy necromancers. And of course the interview is very interesting, hopefully it will get easier to port games in the future to PC so more people can enjoy these games that are trapped in one ecosystem.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Great interview. I think nixxes and sonys studios will only get better at working together and further improving pc ports in the future.

Cant wait for direct storage and more from PC. Interesting that direct x 12 is not touching sonys own APIs for games. I bet if micorosofts tools were better the series x would benefit more also.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
I think unified memory is an interesting hiccup. I guess games really should be designed for PCs first - then ported to console where the unified memory can possibly improve things better.
It doesn't really work that way - especially in scale of modern codebases, this has far-reaching consequences you can't just 'port your way' out of. Also this isn't anything new - PC centric codebases always ported poorly to console (as in, underutilizing the hw) and console centric ports tend to be a real pain too, especially when it comes to achieving consistent results across all the different PC configs.
That said since users with higher-end hw are usually the most vocal anyway, it tends to work 'relatively' better to just rely on brute-forcing some things, so designed-for console first is the path of lesser resistance at least.

It's one of those things I like the least about what some Microsoft teams have been already doing, and likewise have it happen to Sony teams. Consoles have already sacrificed a ton of their identity through hardware normalization. Forcing a common denominator with PC/making your console SKUs equivalent to PC graphic-configs really makes these boxes that much more redundant.
And I realize most 3p games already work that way for years (even on Switch) - but at least exclusives have resisted it - but it's creeping in there as well.

3liteDragon

Interesting bits for me:
Digital Foundry: Even then the game is loading fast. I did a loading test, just between PCs. It is not as fast as PS5, but still it is just under five seconds to load the game from the menu on nearly any modern PC with an NVME drive. It is very fast in comparison to other PC games. Still, what is actually the bottleneck in loading times on PC? Is it the IO-stack there (which even DirectStorage's first version without GPU decompression tries to address) or is it CPU limitations?
Jurjen Katzman: I am not certain if decompression is actually the bottleneck for load times as we did do some things to make decompression go faster, but we backed out on some of those that were hurting the in-game loading (streaming). As in-game (as in streaming while in game, moving around) with those decompression speed-ups in place, we were taking too much CPU away from the game. So we backed that away, and it didn't really meaningfully impact loading screens. I think other things that do play into it probably is shader compilation that's happening during loading screens, and you mentioned BVH building before, so that is also happening.

There's a variety of little things that we do on PC, some of it would be the IO stack... We have some DirectStorage experiments but especially for a loading screen we can use all the CPU for loading, that's what the loading screen is about, right? It's not that suddenly the IO stack change is suddenly going to make it go four times as fast. For in-game purposes, I think that's when when it [Direct Storage] becomes interesting, right when there's this CPU core being fully utilised just to facilitate decompression, freeing up that CPU core if we were able to do that... that would be that's an exciting future, but not where we we're at right now.
Digital Foundry: I did mention how this is my bugbear and I think your team does it right and think your team has done it right since right after Deus Ex: Mankind Divided's release. It is working well. But what is everyone's respective opinion here as developers on pipeline state and specifically how it is handled in DX12? As an end-user, the way it is handled in explicit low-level APIs like DX12 or Vulkan has led to a general degradation in the user experience.
Michiel Rosa: Well... (all laugh) it's fairly restrictive from a developer's perspective, you really have to collect all the ways that you are gonna draw materials before you are actually going to use it, so it's pretty tedious. And like you mentioned, the end user experience isn't always that great. So I think as a concept, if it's not what they expected or what they envisaged it to be. Or it was supposed to remove the shader compilation stutters and in reality it doesn't really do that.

Rebecca Fernandez: Yeah, we said how the drivers end up doing optimisation of their own anyway, it is supposed to remove that as well. But that also still happens. So it hasn't really solved any of the problems.

Jurjen Katzman: I think we would say if there was if it was a DX13 or 14 - if we're going to skip 13 I don't know [everyone laughs] - but with DX14 I think we would recommend that they wouldn't be there anymore.

Michiel Rosa: I do know that Vulkan actually does it slightly better, but we never shipped a game on Vulkan on PC.

Rebecca Fernandez: Even with this change you mention [to Michiel], because this is a recent addition for Vulkan might have added the ability to split this out. But it doesn't make it a lot better. It's just a bit better than DX12.

Michiel Rosa: It's more of a band-aid.
I thought about this when people always talk about Sony speeding up their porting process as this gen goes on from PS5 to PC, this took almost an year to port. So how much time do you think it'll take to port a native PS5 game that's using all of the console's feature sets, to PC? I think it'll take much longer just because of all the tech involved compared to porting a PS4 title to PC.

Would love to hear your take on this, thicc_girls_are_teh_best thicc_girls_are_teh_best .

Last edited:

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Interesting bit for me:
It's - a relatively misinformed argument IMO.
The 'QA has to go and collect all the material permutations' has been a standard practice in DX9(and 11) based engines for over half a decade before DX12 was even a thing. Hell this exact practice might have been introduced 'first' in engines that some DF members have built altars for. And it was a poor user-experience back then just as it is now, including PCs. Low-level APIs were supposed to be 'a' path out of this - and clearly that didn't pan out as intended, but they didn't 'introduce' the problem.

If anything I'd put responsibility for this one right back at developer's feet. The reason the practice exists is because on consoles - collecting all permutation is possible due to closed-box nature. And it's always been known to be a 'less than ideal' approach - but when something 'works' for your primary platforms, it's well worth penalizing the others for.

3liteDragon

No, the whole point of Sony acquiring Nixxes was to be able to figure out a way to port their console titles to PC. That’s their job, Sony studios’ only priority should be fully utilizing the PS5, that’s it. They shouldn’t have to waste time with the PC version, the PC porting studios will take care of that.

I hope that never happens, most likely won’t anyway.

Slikk360

Just be greatful it's included at all and is becoming the norm.

ClosBSAS

No, the whole point of Sony acquiring Nixxes was to be able to figure out a way to port their console titles to PC. That’s their job, Sony studios’ only priority should be fully utilizing the PS5, that’s it. They shouldn’t have to waste time with the PC version, the PC porting studios will take care of that.

I hope that never happens, most likely won’t anyway.
Damn. That salt. Holy shit. Relax, we all know they won't come to PC day 1, at least, the true bangers. But I can see it makes you very nervous.

winjer

Gold Member
So the CPU on PC gets more important this gen? No real surprise there now that consoles have a relatively powerful one, including all kinds of co-processors and low-level APIs.

Not really, the CPU on consoles is relatively weak. Though not a weak as jaguar cores.
The issue is that on PC there is still no games with Direct Storage, so it data has to go first through the CPU.
MS said that with DS, CPU usage can be reduced in games, by as much as 40%.
Unfortunately, MS spent ages doing nothing to improve I/O and system files on PC.
And now it's going to take a while for devs to adopt Direct Storage.
The biggest bottleneck on the PC space is not the hardware, it's Microsoft.

Mister Wolf

Not really, the CPU on consoles is relatively weak. Though not a weak as jaguar cores.
The issue is that on PC there is still no games with Direct Storage, so it data has to go first through the CPU.
Unfortunately, MS spent ages doing nothing to improve I/O and system files on PC.

There aren't even any Direct Storage games on console including the first party titles. Wish they would have never brought it up until the tech was ready.

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
I wouldn't say this, it's more about PC being "global purpose", now that consoles have special ASIC for certain things, there is going on rethink how to use those "global purpose" elements to do same thing.

But you are mostly right, they just didn't evolved Direct X as much as they could and why something like Direct Storage isn't a thing since Vista is pretty mindblowing. Because there were talks about direct access to storage in Longhorn (codename for Vista), but then it got postponed, because...well we all remember the launch, even without it, Vista was too much ahead of HW, Vista compliance was a luxury back at launch, now imagine you couldn't even install it, because your motherboard address storage in different manner, etc...

Also Dx 12 would be half without Nvidia and AMD helping shape it. After all it started to exist because of AMD Mantle on GPU (graphic) side and CUDA on GPGPU side.

Lots of non answers from them.

I was going to ask if Nixxes provided a future solution to solve the performance problems with their ports, nope.

So essentially I'm expected as a customer to pay full retail to have unsolvable problems no matter how much money in PC hardware I throw at it, they're ass.

winjer

Gold Member
I wouldn't say this, it's more about PC being "global purpose", now that consoles have special ASIC for certain things, there is going on rethink how to use those "global purpose" elements to do same thing.

But you are mostly right, they just didn't evolved Direct X as much as they could and why something like Direct Storage isn't a thing since Vista is pretty mindblowing. Because there were talks about direct access to storage in Longhorn (codename for Vista), but then it got postponed, because...well we all remember the launch, even without it, Vista was too much ahead of HW, Vista compliance was a luxury back at launch, now imagine you couldn't even install it, because your motherboard address storage in different manner, etc...

Also Dx 12 would be half without Nvidia and AMD helping shape it. After all it started to exist because of AMD Mantle on GPU (graphic) side and CUDA on GPGPU side.

But remember that GPUs have a lot of custom functions. For example, dedicated units for decoding and encoding video. And dedicated units for ray-tracing. And tensor units.
NVidia even has a full pipeline with delta color compression to save on memory bandwidth.
So adding a unit similar to what the PS5 has, is not far out of reach.

Glad you mentioned those things about Vista. we could be so far ahead in tech, if MS wasn´t slacking off so much.

There aren't even any Direct Storage games on console including the first party titles. Wish they would have never brought it up until the tech was ready.

That only speaks about how incompetent Microsoft is. That even their flagship console doesn't have Direct Storage, 2 years after release.

Last edited:

Skifi28

So essentially I'm expected as a customer to pay full retail to have unsolvable problems no matter how much money in PC hardware I throw at it, they're ass.

I swear, every single game is a terrible port according to some people. Maybe PC gaming is just not for them?

M1chl

But remember that GPUs have a lot of custom functions. For example, dedicated units for decoding and encoding video. And dedicated units for ray-tracing. And tensor units.
NVidia even has a full pipeline with delta color compression to save on memory bandwidth.

Glad you mentioned those things about Vista. we could be so far ahead in tech, if MS wasn´t slacking off so much.
Yeah just look how long it take them rework Control Panels to the "Windows 10 Ui", it's still isn't finished in Win 11. It's ridiculous. And yes absolutely, there is a lot of cool tech in the GPUs and well in general in PC system as well, but there is problem, how slow these technological updates are. Such a division should pump these features every day. But sadly they aren't really focused on that...

winjer

Gold Member
Yeah just look how long it take them rework Control Panels to the "Windows 10 Ui", it's still isn't finished in Win 11. It's ridiculous. And yes absolutely, there is a lot of cool tech in the GPUs and well in general in PC system as well, but there is problem, how slow these technological updates are. Such a division should pump these features every day. But sadly they aren't really focused on that...

On the other hand just look at how much boatware and spyware, each new major update of Windows 10 and 11, comes with.
It's a mess of an OS, that is more on par with the OS of a cheap Chinese phone manufacturer.

M1chl

On the other hand just look at how much boatware and spyware, each new major update of Windows 10 and 11, comes with.
It's a mess of an OS, that is more on par with the OS of a cheap Chinese phone manufacturer.
True and it's shocking how often something does not work. Just take something simple...for example Windows Store. Like how many times it does not update, gets stuck, etc. If you would show this to someone as a dev, they would laugh at you. If you look on those UI implementation on Ubuntu for example, everything is rock solid. Granted you can fucked up Linux system by your action way more easily, but the bloat which is there to protect the OS from user is getting ridiculous. And it makes apps, even those from MS buggy as fuck.

I think their focus on services, rather than actual software, isn't the greatest idea. And I hope they re-focus again. The amount of issues, on official MS forums, which tells you to reinstall system is staggering and what kind of solution is that? They are simply too big and unfocused.

sinnergy

That only speaks about how incompetent Microsoft is. That even their flagship console doesn't have Direct Storage, 2 years after release.
As far as I know the games on series consoles can use direct storage and have been …

winjer

Gold Member
True and it's shocking how often something does not work. Just take something simple...for example Windows Store. Like how many times it does not update, gets stuck, etc. If you would show this to someone as a dev, they would laugh at you. If you look on those UI implementation on Ubuntu for example, everything is rock solid. Granted you can fucked up Linux system by your action way more easily, but the bloat which is there to protect the OS from user is getting ridiculous. And it makes apps, even those from MS buggy as fuck.

I think their focus on services, rather than actual software, isn't the greatest idea. And I hope they re-focus again. The amount of issues, on official MS forums, which tells you to reinstall system is staggering and what kind of solution is that? They are simply too big and unfocused.

Don't remind me how many times the MS Store or the Xbox App broke down on my PC.
I will never buy a single game on the MS Store, because I know there is a real risk that I won't be able to play it.
Admittedly, I got 2 years of gamepass, but it's just blind luck if it will work one day, or not.

M1chl

Don't remind me how many times the MS Store or the Xbox App broke down on my PC.
I will never buy a single game on the MS Store, because I know there is a real risk that I won't be able to play it.
Admittedly, I got 2 years of gamepass, but it's just blind luck if it will work one day, or not.
Obviously, it's just GamePass download client. Fuck paying for anything there. Good thing is About play anywhere, I know for fact that my Flight Sim Purchase will be at least playable on my Xbox.

That's not to say that Steam is perfect, especially with VR, I experienced quite a few hurdles.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
So the CPU on PC gets more important this gen? No real surprise there now that consoles have a relatively powerful one, including all kinds of co-processors and low-level APIs.
Once GPU decompress becomes the norm, the GPU will be back at forcing us to upgrade every few years.

Skifi28

This is not 'some people's' fault at all, it's just bad software. When I invest money into PC components the logic is to solve problems.
You can't solve all problems by throwing money at them. Sure, there's bad software if you want to call it that, between all the abstraction layers and drivers. You can't expect the developers to write their games in assembly to overcome how PC gaming works.

If you adjust your settings accordingly you'll get both great visuals and performance. No, you can't completely max out all games and expect to get a perfect framerate by throwing dollars at your screen. Many of those settings are meant to be for future hardware and that is a good thing. If you want the most optimized game possible for your hardware with no fiddling, a console might be a good investment.

Skifi28, here's an example. You're playing World of Warcraft, riding on your mount into a major city and your game starts to freeze up; You tried turning your settings down, but the videogame is still freezing up. We're in Ventrillo or Discord or whatever and I hear your problem with the videogame. I ask you, "how much system memory do you have?" You reply "128 MB of ram", "Skifi28, check your motherboard compatibility and see if you can upgrade to 1 GB of ram". You checked your motherboard and discovered your compatibility and upgraded to 1 GB. Next, you play WoW again this time with an upgraded PC component; You're on your mount going into a major city and the problem is fixed.

My question to you, how do you solve this problem with the recent Spider-man on PC? https://www.neogaf.com/threads/marvel’s-spider-man-remastered-has-released-on-steam-steam-deck-digital-foundry-breakdown-review-released.1640088/post-266485051

Is he suppose to wait for future hardware?

Last edited:

ToTTenTranz

Banned
Wow, that's huge. Almost like a camera with optical zoom (Pc) vs digital zoom (PS5).
This is a reflection, though.
How often are gamers going to spend time looking at the details of objects off in-game reflective surfaces?

I guess my point is that this is the type of things are probably only going to be available on the PC, where users get the chance to turn on settings with big performance cost and minimal IQ impact.
If the PS5 had 3x higher RT performance I wouldn't be surprised if Insomniac preferred to keep the same RT reflection LOD/distance and used the spare performance to do e.g. RT Shadows and Global Illumination.

I thought about this when people always talk about Sony speeding up their porting process as this gen goes on from PS5 to PC, this took almost an year to port. So how much time do you think it'll take to port a native PS5 game that's using all of the console's feature sets, to PC? I think it'll take much longer just because of all the tech involved compared to porting a PS4 title to PC.

I'd say a good part of Nixxes' work involved creating automated tools to assist the porting of future titles from GNM/GNMX to DX12. The fact that these didn't exist was made evident by the recent God of War port that is DX11 only.
If this port took X man-months to complete, the next port(s) will probably take a lot less.

I don't know what features are still missing, though. It seems that they already developed a tool to JIT translate sony's raytracing instructions to DX12. They'll probably need to develop a similar tool to adapt the IO complex into Direct Storage, but AFAIK the latter still isn't being used anywhere, nor do I know if it's functional already.

Last edited:

3liteDragon

Damn. That salt. Holy shit. Relax, we all know they won't come to PC day 1, at least, the true bangers. But I can see it makes you very nervous.
Hilarious that’s what you got from that, my whole issue with D&D is from a technical perspective (a stance I’ve already made clear here), meaning the studio has to work on both versions at the same time. I don’t care if it gets ported to PC later on by a different studio, fine by me. I want the console version to be priority #1 for all their FP studios, but keep going warrior.

The only PS5 titles that everyone including me are expecting day 1 on PC are their live-service games (Haven Studios).

Top Bottom