• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF Retro: Motorstorm - The Full Series Revisited - Amazing Arcade Mayhem on PS3, PS2, PSP, PS Vita

RoadHazard

Gold Member
It may have different winning goals and strategy but the DNA is there. If not a traditional racing game, but it still is one. Its the closest thing to motorstorm. It was even made by ex MotoStorm devs.

Yes, of course there's a lot of MotorStorm "DNA" there, but the simple fact that there are no races to win makes it feel completely different. Wasn't for me at all.

The first motorstorm was an amazing game. Showcasing some of the cool tech from ps3 gen. (wish we would get games with new tech like that now, sadly not the case)
Things like deformable mud physics, and hd visuals, and different tracks.
Nothing came close on the ps2 (or 360, at the time).

The game wasn't as big on single player campaign but was a strong foundation. The sequel Pacific Rim was phenomenal. Unfortunately it came out in 2008. A year that I got my ps3. A year with GTA4, MGS4, LBP, Bioshock, Prince of Persia, and a few other awesome games. It should of been expanded on for a 3rd entry, instead of apocalypse, which bombed.

I loved pacific rim. It was my favorite racing game, and nothing has come close to it. Pacific rift did it right, different biomes and elemental effects, overheating and splash effects to cool down.
It was so much fun!

Last edited:
I doubt we will ever see a remaster or collection, why, licensed music. Sony his stingy with paying licensing fees for music. You would think it wouldn't be an issue but name me a game with licensed music that they remade or
hell even sell a ps1/ps2 game with licensed music. We never got a gt game from ps1 put on the psn store for this exact reason. Hell Sony wouldn't even license "CD" tech for PS4 so it couldn't even play music cd's even though the tech was obviously on the drive, they were just stingy on paying the few cents a console for it.

I'd love for a ps5 collection of these, but don't hold your breath. Now if my ps3 bluetooth and wifi wasn't still broken id unpack it and play the games, Still got my pacific rift disc around here somewhere.

Oh and On rush was shit!

IT was a "esports, microtransaction style game" and felt floaty. No where near what motorstorm was, not even close.

Last edited:
I watched this yesterday. Never played the game but as usual, his passion and beautiful explanation gave me serious FOMO. I pretty much skipped PS3 and now I regret it. This would have blown my mind back then. Holy hell do these graphics and physics hold up well today!!

Otre

Banned
Yes, of course there's a lot of MotorStorm "DNA" there, but the simple fact that there are no races to win makes it feel completely different. Wasn't for me at all.

Its fine if its not for you but youre oversimplifying the design of motorstorm to a simple goal. Racing different classes of vehicles each with their own feel and weight in an open space reacting to physics and environmental dangers is what defines it for me. Theres more than enough of that in OnRush. Im not saying its a great game or even a clone, its just the closest thing to MS in the modern era.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Its fine if its not for you but youre oversimplifying the design of motorstorm to a simple goal. Racing different classes of vehicles each with their own feel and weight in an open space reacting to physics and environmental dangers is what defines it for me. Theres more than enough of that in OnRush. Im not saying its a great game or even a clone, its just the closest thing to MS in the modern era.

MotorStorm is about being faster than everyone else to the goal (like all racing games). OnRush isn't. That's what felt so weird about it to me, that driving fast usually doesn't matter, and is sometimes even a bad thing depending on the event.

YCoCg

16xAF alone would benefit that early era of PS3 games where they mainly used basic Trilinear filtering. Who knows how much texture quality was mushed and blurred for those early titles, 4k60 is just a huge bonus on top making them hold up well today.

anthraticus

Banned
Not bad (I love offroad stuff, so I'm gonna be a little more accepting to these kinds of games) I thought Pacific Rift was the best one by far, but the 'sense of speed' always felt a bit lacking for me in this series. Too much rubberbanding (both ways) also.

Last edited:
Harrison berating Evolution for not being able to match-up to a high-end CGI trailer - for the time - with lacking knowledge and clarity about technical specs is some ridiculous shit, even from an engineering pov. Despite that, Sony's creative output was honestly more appealing under his and Kutaragi's leadership than it is now imo...

The scape of Sony worldwide studios really changed dramatically for better or worse. Early PS3 SWWS showed so much promise, its a shame all their studios diverged and evolved into some kind of alien direction.

kyussman

My favorite racing games.They were all so much fun.....great track designs,challenging too.Some of the moments in Apocalypse were just mind blowing back in the day,such creative game design.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
dslrr. cant remember the name. currently battered..but that shit that upscales the graphics with not alot of cost to the cpu/gpu..recently announced i think. you get my point..your a smart guy.

FSR? That just scales up the image (but in a smarter way than simple upscaling). It doesn't magically make the graphics next-gen. Not saying DC wouldn't look good at 4K60, but a MotorStorm built from the ground up for the PS5 could look even better.

-Amon-

Closing down Evolution Studios was one of the worst decisions.

Never understood why they did it. Motorstorm and Motorstorm Pacific Rift where wonderful games, the third in my opinion suffered from the need of being more spectacular than Pacific Rift, it was too difficult at times to drive in that mayem and you often lost races without making real errors because of that. But it was more than good.

Even Artic Edge was really good and the RC spinoff for Vita was a really fun game.

Driveclub had a rough start but they overcome it and the game remained my favorite arcade racer for the whole generation.

Evolution Studios could have become Sony's Playground games for sure in my opinion.

Never understood why they did it. Motorstorm and Motorstorm Pacific Rift where wonderful games, the third in my opinion suffered from the need of being more spectacular than Pacific Rift, it was too difficult at times to drive in that mayem and you often lost races without making real errors because of that. But it was more than good.

Even Artic Edge was really good and the RC spinoff for Vita was a really fun game.

Driveclub had a rough start but they overcome it and the game remained my favorite arcade racer for the whole generation.

Evolution Studios could have become Sony's Playground games for sure in my opinion.
Because Sony, just like any entity in the industry, is a business. It costs money to run their stable. The money has to come from somewhere.

Motorstorm might've been a great series in the eyes of gamers, but it didn't get conceived out of thin air. Evolution definitely had talent, but the series underperformance just didn't justify its continued support. These games had gargantuan million dollar budgets with an expected reasonable return. Consequently, if the operating overhead of running a studio overwhelms the ingoing revenue stream, then its just not worth keeping the lights on. That's not to mention that the world was feeling the shockwaves from the recent recession at the time which just added more stress on the studio.

Driveclub's lackluster results just drove a fatal blow to the studio.

Sadly, in a way the community is also partially responsible for the studio's demise too. There seems to be this fallacy that just because a studio keeps pumping out quality work the situation will resolve itself regardless of whatever may happen. Many studios of that time met such an undeserved fate due to consumer negligence.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Does anyone play this on RSPCS3?

Spent quite a while trying to get this thing to run and it had this bloom effect that made the entire screen glow white. Turns out its a setting we need to enable which fixed it when running it at 1080p, but as soon as I enabled the 60 fps patch it brought back the bloom again. So frustrating.

emmerrei

After Pacific Rift i was really with the idea of a Motorstorm "World Tour". Infact at the announcement of Apocalypse, i was really disappointed, especially when the theme of the game was based mainly on the spectacularization of the action and nothing more. Sony should really dust off the franchise and make a new game on it, maybe following my idea, and set it up around the globe.

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
MotorStorm Apocalypse was a 9/10 game for me I never stopped playing it top ten game of the generation with minor flaws and shitty timing of release. some of the things he's complaining about are valid others like running into things? he needs to git good the focus should be on racing and avoiding obstacles at the same time and being good enough to do both and still have fun when you improve its a Sonic 2 like experience ...was never a fan of the festival vibe so the changes were welcome as all hell

I HATED how they changed the handling in Pacific Rift I never got used to it and ended up selling my copy game looked amazing but the gameplay changes killed it for me

Last edited:

Kerotan

Great video.

To me the original is the GOAT. Such a good game. I liked PR a little less and Apocalypse was ok although I platinumed it so it couldn't have been that bad.

I really hope it gets a remaster.

Top Bottom