• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo 4 needs to be harder to start with | Should be more like Soulsborne | Or does it?

Should Diablo 4 move away from the style of previous titles?

• No, the unlockable higher difficulties are enough.

Votes: 63 36.6%
  • No, Diablo is fine as it is.

Votes: 44 25.6%
  • No, my reasons are as follows..

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Yes, my reasons are as follows...

Votes: 8 4.7%
  • Yes, Diablo 3 was coasty even on higher difficulty settings.

Votes: 46 26.7%
  • I got nuthin'.

Votes: 10 5.8%

• Total voters

Metnut

They should make Diablo 4 a lot more like Warcraft. In fact, they should shitcan Diablo 4 and make Warcraft 4 instead.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Yet Most Reviewers still agree it is the best Top Down Dungeon Crawler of it's time.

I liked neither personally, however Path of Exile still exceeds Diablo 3 by large margins in term's of what it delivered as far as I'm concerned, you may disagree but
then again no sane person or reviewer would align with you.

1. RPGamer
    May 9, 2014
    Review Score: 100

Grinding Gear Games has created something special here, and given it gratis to the world.
  2. PC PowerPlay
    Nov 25, 2013
    Review Score: 100

Once you get a hang of the numerous systems, Path of Exile becomes one of the best action-RPG experiences you can have. [December 2013, p.88]
    All this publication's reviews

3. GRYOnline.pl
    Oct 28, 2013
    Review Score: 95

Path of Exile is a fascinating and a really big game and simply talking about it can take hours. The game is focused on online gameplay and even though you can play solo, the most fun comes from adventuring with some friends. Path of Exile is a must have for all Diablo fans. It offers dozens of hours of great fun and does that completely free of charge.
  4. NZGamer
    Nov 4, 2013
    Review Score: 94

For a free title, knocked together by a small team, it's stunning just how much it blows the opposition away. They have taken what was wrong with the genre and fixed it; what was right, they have made even better.
  5. Destructoid
    Dec 19, 2013
    Review Score: 90

The world has a grimy, grungy, uncomfortable feel to it that constantly makes the player feel slightly off just for inhabiting it, which is appropriate given what goes on. Every person and object looks like it's at its lowest point.
  6. CD-Action
    Dec 13, 2013

The best hack’n’slash I've played in recent years. If the visuals are not the most important aspect for you and what you crave is a juicy adventure in a growing world (subsequent acts are on their way) full of monsters to slay, skills to acquire and loot to collect, you need to give Path of Exile a try. [13/2013, p.60]

7. GameSpot
    Nov 8, 2013

Considering that Path of Exile costs you nothing beyond some Internet bandwidth, it provides an embarrassment of pleasures.
  8. SpazioGames
    Nov 5, 2013

Probably the best action gdr out there, much deeper than Diablo 3 and completely free. You can't miss this one.
  9. Eurogamer Italy
    Oct 24, 2013

Deep, dark, challenging, uncompromisingly hardcore: Path of Exile is so much more “Diablo” than the official Diablo III. And it comes for free, too.
  10. Meristation
    Oct 23, 2013

Path of Exile is a great alternative for the lovers of classic 'hack & slash'. It's an entertaining title with an interesting gameplay and completely free. The game is able to rival the great current references in the genre, despite just taking its first steps. Path of Exile has clear objectives and has managed correctly oriented toward them. Its use of the familiarity with the genre will capture the attention of many aRPG players in exchange for losing originality.
  11. Pelit (Finland)
    Mar 11, 2014
    Review Score: 88

Hack & slash games are addictive because they follow a simple formula: kill, kill and kill some more. Path of Exile is no different in this regard. During your quest in the perilous continent of Wraeclast you need to slay thousands and thousands of monsters but it never gets boring because there are a plenty of fresh ideas like the very vast skill system and barter-based economy that differentiate it from other similar games. But it's not a perfect game. The story is weak and the difficulty level is too low in the beginning. [Dec 2013]

12. RPG Fan
    Dec 30, 2013

A worthy contender to Diablo and Torchlight as the premium hack 'n' slash experience.
  13. IGN
    Nov 8, 2013

Path of Exile successfully captures the spirit of older action RPGs and updates it for an experience that's as visually appealing as it's fun.
i got to act 3

it is hands down the worst fucking ARPG I have ever played,
99,9% of the drops are trash just utter trash.

i am still running a level 4 ring at level 29 ? because all that drops is hot garbo

my attacks feel weak, the gem system is mildly interesting
but wtf is the point if the loot sucks in a loot game?

enemy design looks like a d3 ripoff too
this game feels like a fanmade clone by someone that that thinks more = better
it's one of those horrible diablo 2 made community mods.

man i am going back to either wolcen or i am going to try last epoch.

Love Diablo, if they change it to be anything like Souls games I’m out. And it will become a much more niche game I think, like they are.

Can’t see it happening and sincerely hope it doesn’t.

Pumped for Diablo 4 but BRING BACK THE REAL MONEY AUCTION HOUSE

Donald Duck Money GIF

nerdface

Banned
Diablo3 had a good line you could feel before death. It took some time to learn, but it’s very hard to kill a HC char.

I know you can keep pushing higher rifts, but you can tell when the math isn’t there. You have to fix something or probably die.

In that sense, it could be a little more difficult. I shouldn’t have to delete HC characters at the beginning of a new season to make room. On the other hand, it is nice you can learn the game after enough time, and have confidence you probably won’t die anymore.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I'd prefer that. Its a little mindless.

You basically need solid dodging and blocking or having enemies that actually attack is kind of a bad idea.

luffie

I'm into more skilled based game, but I'm not sure how it will translate onto isometric action rpgs.

Other than stat building, the meta tactics available for such games has always been move in dash out, it works for any difficulty. As long as you can dash/teleport out and use long range attacks, higher difficulties are just more hp/damage.

Souls also have limited healing while Diablo have practically unlimited, so there's always that.

Less Soulsborne type of games please, that genre isn't fun imo, it's time to move on from that.

Diablo is its own thing. The step in the right direction was getting rid of the cartoon graphics, now all they need to do is get rid of the formulaic gameplay and add more features than just combat. That's my issue with these top down action RPG's they're not uh... RPG's.

NT80

Make the game challenging. Diablo 1 was hard and even Diablo 2 in normal mode offers a decent challenge. It's got nothing to do with Souls games.

Belmonte

I don't know about difficulty but I would be happy if they introduce more brawler mechanics in Diablo. I understand that the stats/equipment tinkering is what is the most important in the RPG loot focused genre and I don't want to change that but would be great if positioning, space awareness and enemy control was more important

Last edited:

Allandor

Make the game challenging. Diablo 1 was hard and even Diablo 2 in normal mode offers a decent challenge. It's got nothing to do with Souls games.
???
Diablo 1 was quite easy. The only problem I had (at that time) with this game was the butcher. But you could always "restart" the game with the current character and at least when you reach the butcher again, he was quite easy to beat. Just needed a bit more experience back than. In Diablo 1 there were different small quests, that could varied with every restart of the campaign. Even whole dungeons were not there in every run.
Diablo 2 ... forced you to "replay" it again and again, because if you left the game the levels etc. were resetted if you load your character again. This way you had to fight again against enemies you already have beaten if you didn't end at a new waypoint. And in the end you make Baalruns or something like that just to get new stuff. Very repetitive and always the same. Every quest, every dungeon, ... everything was the same, just the levels were generated (like in D1). Every run was exactly the same as the run before. Just the enemies could vary a bit.

Diablo 3 was somehow the same like Diablo 1, just that you could reskill yourself everywhere and -time you want. You make your runs, but at least you can use portals etc. to make it a bit more varied. Also "events" or little quests and dungeons can vary with every run.

Last edited:

bbeach123

Really hate the sets item in D3 ROS . Its nuke all the unique build because sets gears is super bonker . They fix it recently with the ancient gear rings but I quit it long ago .
But D3 combat is very solid , it beat POE by mile . But POE beat it by miles with Build and unique gears.

Doesnt mean POE perfect though . ITs combat system have critical fault that cant be fix . Life leech and fast movement ability ruined POE combat . It seem fun at first but too much life leech and almost no-resource usage movement ability cause the game super easy (to dodge shit). So to make the game harder they implemented bullshit one shot mechanic for boss . Almost all the boss fight in POE is unfun POS with weird mechanic .
How to fix player life leech from 1% to full HP bar in 1 seconds ? Make the monster dealt damage from 100% to zero in less than 1 seconds . There they fixed it .

Last edited:

Hari Seldon

I played Diablo 3 when it came out and just kind of stopped playing after maxing a character. However I recently went back. With the new seasonal stuff guiding you on what to do, it is actually really fun. The adventure mode and the rifts and bounties make this game pretty sweet and gives you a reason to come back to it at the beginning of a new season. But yeah the campaign needs to be a shit ton better so people stick around for the end game. Way better writing, way better atmosphere, and some reliance on strategy rather than just coming up with builds.

Ulysses 31

I want to avoid a wall of text, so I'll try to break this into points:

> Diablo 3 was criticized for a visual style that pulled punches.
> Diablo 3 was also very coasty at each of the difficulty levels available at the start (in the more refined form it is sold in today).
> For some*, Diablo 3 was forgettable - forgettable bosses, forgettable monsters, forgettable experience.
> Since Diablo 3, some very influential Soulsborne titles have wow'd players.
> We've been reintroduced to the joy of hugely difficult games with high narrative payoffs.
> Soulsborne games are glumpth-soaked, hugely atmospheric gothik visual experiences that pull no punches. *I believe an equivalence can be drawn between the two games thanks to their similar ideals here*
> Like rechargable personal shields and quick time events, I'm not sure there's much of a place for super high kill count, coasty button mashers after the decade we've just had.
> Unless Diablo 4 makes use of effective difficulty ramps, and a robust system of counters to those difficult situations, it might feel dated and forgettable.

* - I know a lot of people out there disagree with this. I've actually really enjoyed D3 lately on PS3, at the urging of a fine GAFer i ken, but i hope for much more from D4.

(Disclaimer: for the sake of brevity i passed over a number of finer points about d3)

This is just my thought. I saw Diablo 4, i saw Lilith's badass introductory cinematic, and i thought to myself: there is no way this boss is going to live up to this cinematic unless she draws actual blood from us.

Oof, did you forget how hard Diablo III was on Hel difficulty at release before it got nerfed into the ground? :lollipop_grinning:

Hari Seldon

They could look at a game like Hades for some inspiration as to how to make a isometric game skill based. I’m totally fine with ditching the clicky controls.

Trogdor1123

I wish they did change it too. I'd like certain areas to be tougher, not just a dial you crank to 11 (with 12+ being added later) on the same things we have already dealt with... A hundred times

Braag

Not everything needs to be "soulsborne" style.

Diablo 3 on release was very different from what it is now. Highest difficulty levels when the game was still fairly new were so hard that you had to have some of the best gear in the game to even get through the first chapters. Good gear was also hard to come by as Blizzard tried to get people to use the real money auction house so it made a lot of people quit playing as the difficulty wall was way too high to get to higher difficulty levels to get better gear and not everyone wanted to spend RL money.
I quit back then as well, cause my character ran out of gold from all the repairs from dying and I didn't want to grind for gold for hours on end as repairing was so costly.

Spukc

yall should have tried diablo 3 day 1 on inferno act 2 get fucked by swarms big time.

me playing act 2 inferno

NT80

???
Diablo 1 was quite easy. The only problem I had (at that time) with this game was the butcher. But you could always "restart" the game with the current character and at least when you reach the butcher again, he was quite easy to beat. Just needed a bit more experience back than. In Diablo 1 there were different small quests, that could varied with every restart of the campaign. Even whole dungeons were not there in every run.
Diablo 2 ... forced you to "replay" it again and again, because if you left the game the levels etc. were resetted if you load your character again. This way you had to fight again against enemies you already have beaten if you didn't end at a new waypoint. And in the end you make Baalruns or something like that just to get new stuff. Very repetitive and always the same. Every quest, every dungeon, ... everything was the same, just the levels were generated (like in D1). Every run was exactly the same as the run before. Just the enemies could vary a bit.

Diablo 3 was somehow the same like Diablo 1, just that you could reskill yourself everywhere and -time you want. You make your runs, but at least you can use portals etc. to make it a bit more varied. Also "events" or little quests and dungeons can vary with every run.
Diablo 3 is much easier than what i remember of Diablo 1. Just run through everything without thinking in D3 a lot of the time. Upping the difficulty makes some enemies 1 hit kill you while others are still easy. It never feels quite right to me. In Diablo 2 I'm talking about when you first start playing it through. It's actually fun and interesting starting out. Path of Exile also has this issue where it starts out too easy and I lose interest before I get further in. I don't need to think about my build/equipment/strategy much if everything's just getting blown away.

Record of Lodoss War on Dreamcast got it right. That game was tactical and there was a lot of scope for experimentation for different situations and you'd need to at times.

Spukc

record of lodoss war turned into fuck you big time near the end i stopped playing that game.

DavidGzz

Diablo 1 was only easy when you abused doorways and kited enemies. As a 14 year old going balls deep and getting surrounded? Riperinos

Top Bottom