• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo Immortal rakes in 100 million in 8 weeks not including China

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
since the last update i can't even play it. the game won't load :messenger_grinning_smiling: i updated it today on my iPad and it won't launch. i can't be arsed uninstalling and downloading it again so fuck it i'm deleting it.

s9P3ToM.png

Reactions: Fbh

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
So a bunch of mentally incompetent, deranged, and challenged folks continue to play scams and feed money into them. Who knew.
The game has over 5 million downloads on the Google play store alone. On average people probably spent $5. Sure some people went full whale but there are millions of regular people who dropped a fraction of the cost of a full game for a small item pack or something.

Fbh

Lol based on this thread I take it people though this was going to fail?. Why?
As if the the mobile audience gives a single shit about what people on PC/Consoles are saying/complaining about.
Does this mean RIP D4? They going to stuff it chock full of the same mechanics?

Nah. It will probably have some microtransactions but not nearly as bad as this.

The core game is there to keep the brand relevant. The mobile game is to cash in. Almost feels like the core game is "the movie" and the mobile game are the toys.

Wildebeest

The peak of human civilization was in the 1990s. Since then, we learned to understand that everything would get worse every year and that people were even getting less intelligent and more likely to make decisions based on lower quality information. That's how to interpret news like this.

Last edited:
The game has over 5 million downloads on the Google play store alone. On average people probably spent $5. Sure some people went full whale but there are millions of regular people who dropped a fraction of the cost of a full game for a small item pack or something.

And? My factoid still remains true.

Edgelord79

Gold Member
Damn look how poorly this game did, you guys showed them.

huh? Crying over this shit didn't alter reality? hmmmmmm /s

I don't really know how many times this needs to happen for people to realize not liking something, doesn't mean everyone shares that fucking view, I don't get why the community seems to have a blind spot on this type of shit. I remember someone telling me how badly Call Of Duty was going to sell and omgz bbq look at da youtube downvotes...they literally used that as some metric to tell me it was the end for Call Of Duty.. So I think some gamers just live in this alternate reality where they think them crying or some shit means everyone else feels the same way and then sit back and hope it reflects in sales or something. Its the oddest shit. I'm not surprised this game did well for them.

To those who are surprised....what did we learn? How many times does this "i'm madz" argument need to end in a game doing these types of figures before people realize those are not really accurate things to measure if a game will do well or not? I've heard this shit for Battlefront, Call Of Duty, Assassins Creed, Far Cry, Mafia 3, GTA lol I think its best to just say, I don't personally like it, but I'm sure many will and it will move units. Thats it. I try my best not to add in any type of personal opinion regarding sales as I hate many IP that have broken a shit ton of records to pretend someone isn't playing this fucking game. They'd be stupid not to jump in on that mobile market.
Yup. Shocking how many people act as if this is a surprise when mobile games have been doing this type of monetization for a long time now.

Many Enthusiasts are either shockingly ill-informed or think that everyone is just like them.

Last edited:

reinking

Gold Member
I absolutely HATE where gaming is headed and I was anti-MTX day one. I have realized I lost that battle and I have adapted. I don't whale and I really don't play a lot of these games. As matter of fact, I have not downloaded Diablo Immortal yet. That being said, I have tossed $5-$10 here and there throughout the last few years if a game is good enough that I have spent a month playing it. Why the hell not? Things are not going to change no matter how much I yell. Obviously if I spent a month on something I got $5 worth of entertainment.

Gen z and rich folk that like wasting money made this happen.

And this is why I stay away from multiplayer and many esport type games. Indies, older games and single player AAA means not having to deal with mtx, gaas and other crap, usually.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I absolutely HATE where gaming is headed and I was anti-MTX day one. I have realized I lost that battle and I have adapted. I don't whale and I really don't play a lot of these games. As matter of fact, I have not downloaded Diablo Immortal yet. That being said, I have tossed $5-$10 here and there throughout the last few years if a game is good enough that I have spent a month playing it. Why the hell not? Things are not going to change no matter how much I yell. Obviously if I spent a month on something I got $5 worth of entertainment.
The only paid content I was a supporter of was map packs back in the day. I know some people hated them and thought paying $15 for 4 extra COD maps was a rip off, but considering the time I spent back then playing COD I found it worth it. I stopped buying them at MW3 and havent bought one dime of mtx or DLC since then.

At least for those old map packs, you were limited to that price. And it's not even P2W or cosmetic hats or whatever. Anyone who buys the maps gets access the same way and plays together. And gamers who dont buy arent disadvantaged because they cant even join that match.

Back then, the mtx was limited to personal stuff that was so different. You had dashboard skins, map packs, you might have some Ace Combat 6 airplane skins or whatever. It wasnt so in your face like loud showboaty celebrations or P2W.

You have yet to provide any fact, at all, in this entire thread. Your opinion is not a fact no matter what you believe. If you don't like the game or think it's manipulating people you can state that, but nothing you've posted in this thread is even close to a fact even by the loosest definition

Keep denying reality, buddy.

TheGecko

Banned
Give it a chance it's pretty good, if you enjoy something then what's wrong with spending money on it.

I honestly think you lot just want the same old shit sometimes.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
None of that is a fact, that is simply your generalization on the people who play this and spend money on MTX... I mean, you are trying to characterize them as "mentally incompetent, deranged" as if you know millions of them personally. Anyone can argue this about any fucking game that moves millions of units though.
Hey guys I found the guy we can blame for the escalation from horse armor dlc.

it's literally making hundreds of millions, based on this

1. It Can't be shit
2. Its obviously popular
So what? You complained about people just wanting the same old shit. This game being both popular and profitable doesn't change that fact that it is, essentially, the same old shit.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
for those who actually bothered to play the game, how is the PC (iOS port) now?

i don't want to download it again on my iPad but i'm up for playing on PC again.

DONT PLAY IT THEN!
I'm not. What does that have to do with anything, anyway? This isn't about whether or not I'm playing the game. It's about you claiming people dislike the game because they'd rather play the "same old shit" instead of trying anything new. Do you not see how a claim like that makes absolutely no sense when the game in question is literally the embodiment of old shit?

Last edited:

TheGecko

Banned
I'm not. What does that have to do with anything, anyway? This isn't about whether or not I'm playing the game. It's about you claiming people dislike the game because they'd rather play the "same old shit" instead of trying anything new. Do you not see how a claim like that makes absolutely no sense when the game in question is literally the embodiment of old shit?

Listen here LadyParrot, If you haven't even played it then how can you keep going on about it? Go and give it a go and then come back.

nkarafo

Yup, that's why i opted out of mainstream gaming.

Because shit like this become a success and poisons the whole industry. People deserve that game.

Listen here LadyParrot, If you haven't even played it then how can you keep going on about it? Go and give it a go and then come back.
I have played it, though. But who knows, maybe I missed all the exciting innovative features Blizzard added to the game that make it more than just a mobile clone of a 10 year-old game. Care to list some of them?

HF2014

You know, if some people are making Blizzard rich because of this, its not the problem of the people not paying for these mtx. If Blizz got more funds now to make a better D4, i am happy with it. The day regular games are getting pay to win mtx, it will be over for all their most hardcore fans, and im not seeing that happening. Look how they went backward with auction house in D3. Nintendo are doing it with AC Pocket Camp and nobody is crying.

Top Bottom