• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo IV Beta |Mini OT| READ THE OP

What would you rate Diablo IV

• 1 (Amazing)

Votes: 116 37.3%

Votes: 111 35.7%

Votes: 62 19.9%

Votes: 12 3.9%
  • 5 (Dreadful)

Votes: 10 3.2%

• Total voters
Diablo 4 is definitely lacking in its current state. Some ideas work better than others, but they at least have a solid foundation to build on. It took years to get Reaper of Souls where it needed to be and I expect the same here. It takes hours of playing before people can give the devs meaningful feedback.
What would you say exactly is lacking? Can you provide a more detailed bulletin list if possible? Because in my opinion it's already far ahead of D3 launch state.

Last edited:

Hot5pur

There is a 50+ minute cue right now.
The thirst is real.
Holy shit I haven't been this excited for a game in probably the last 5 years.

It's very casual friendly, which is great for my wife and I, could never get her into Path of Exile. Could barely get into it myself.
We did play Wolcen for a fair number of hours, but I tried to go back and play it after this latest update, and after playing the D4 beta, I just can't. D4 is on another level.

Fools idol

Banned
Diablo 4 is definitely lacking in its current state. Some ideas work better than others, but they at least have a solid foundation to build on. It took years to get Reaper of Souls where it needed to be and I expect the same here. It takes hours of playing before people can give the devs meaningful feedback.
I'm not the hottest on d4 but its way better than reaper of souls at launch.

I mean its not even comparable. D3 launch and ROS was a mess tbh.

D4 has potential they just need to use learnings from previous games and listen to experienced players like Krip. Love him or hate him he's a force in the genre for good. IIRC, he was the only person to ever beat inferno hardcore before it got nerfed.

Luipadre

i just checked the client and there is a 346 min que , wtf? people are just lined up already? :D

I have a feeling i wont play this tomorrow

.Pennywise

Banned
people-waiting-in-long-line.jpg

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
What would you say exactly is lacking? Can you provide a more detailed bulletin list if possible? Because in my opinion it's already far ahead of D3 launch state.
It's better than D3 at launch. But it does have some elements that need improvement. Maybe it's already improved in the latest build, maybe not.

• Dungeons are too copy/paste and they involve boring mechanics that make you backtrack.
  • Too many unskippable story events.
  • UI is not optimal in both aesthetics and function. Font is all over the place. You need to scroll for some tool tips. Skill bar is only limited to 6 and changing them is not fast. No item stats on hover for items on the ground. No map overlay.
  • Level scaling mechanics make you weaker on level up.

To name a few.

Kacho

I mean a lot of these a common criticisms so I’m mostly repeating what’s already been said.

-Early game class balance is off (this will be more of an issue when seasons drop)
-Itemization is underwhelming to say the least. +Skills are a great thing to carry over from D2 though.
-Level scaling/power progression feels off. Ie not satisfying
-Don’t stand in fire mechanics negatively affect melee more than range. It’s fine to have that but don’t let it neuter melee dps constantly.
-Too many small pockets of enemies leading to lots of down time running from group to group
-Too much backtracking in very simplistic dungeons
-Skill trees are a jumbled mess in their current state
-The potion system is a little too gamey for my liking. Will have to see how that system holds up through the course of the game.
-It’s not very clear how certain mechanics work such as berserking and overpower
-UI is a cluttered mess, both on screen and in menus. Too many pop-ups.
-No set gear at launch
-Why are legendaries and uniques so similar in terms of magic properties and affixes?

Luipadre

How do you know it worked fine? 4k resolution with high textures, even 2k with high textures was a mess even with dlss and the memory leak. We'll see!

The stuttering wasnt because of DLSS. I only tried DLSS for a few minutes but turned it off because the game looked better without it and my fps was still high

omegasc

Diablo 4 is a live game, just like D2 and D3 before it. All great games.
Can't say it's lacking when lots of mechanics are still locked. They already showed they are in the right direction, I believe. And I will happily follow it until Diablo V.
But I hope they fix the repetitiveness of the dungeons during main progression. End game and farming will always get repetitive... there's not a lot to do when people play thousands of hours haha

Last edited:

Kacho

I'm not the hottest on d4 but its way better than reaper of souls at launch.

I mean its not even comparable. D3 launch and ROS was a mess tbh.

D4 has potential they just need to use learnings from previous games and listen to experienced players like Krip. Love him or hate him he's a force in the genre for good. IIRC, he was the only person to ever beat inferno hardcore before it got nerfed.
I was saying that RoS took years to get where it needed to be. Not that it was better/worse than a brand new game.

No clue who Krip is. Blizz just needs to listen to the community like the always do. It will take time but D4 will get there.

Hot5pur

Asmongold has a good analysis of the flaws of melee as it stands in the beta from a mechanics-based point of view.

I don't see how people can stand this guy. He just repeats what others say or he gives his reactions to others people's videos. Most lazy content creation.

People are going to queue up early it seems. Blizzard should just disable the play button until it goes live again. It's just going to be a mess.

Kacho

He adds a lot of additional insight as well as creates a lot of original content on his own right.
Yeah, Asmon is fine. I remember when he was a fledgling channel on YouTube. Back when he made videos on the state of WOW. Feels like forever ago lol

He definitely doesn’t just parrot other peoples opinions. I also don’t agree with him on everything he says, like his questionable defense of MTX in games. He’s good in small doses depending on the topic.

Kacho

I don't really think he's defending them as much as saying that we can't really do that much about it because people are still going to buy them. He hates them too.
He’s a guy who regularly shat on the in-game shop in WOW because it was detrimental to the overall experience. He said you should be playing the game to earn those rewards and I couldn’t agree more.

Recently he’s flipped on that, at least with Diablo 4. Claiming this game couldn’t exist and receive updates without MTX, like we didn’t used to get complete experiences that were regularly updated without MTX. Just feels like such a cop out. Especially since we’ll still be shelling out $70 for expansions every couple years.

Last edited:

.Pennywise

Banned
Forget it guys, no one is playing tomorrow

Queue Times: When we open the gates again this Friday to absolutely everyone, we are expecting a lot of people. There will be lengthy queue times, particularly on Friday when we first launch and during peak regional windows. This past weekend helped us to forecast the capacity we expect this weekend, and we will be using that capacity to intentionally stress our systems in preparation for launch. In summary, while we know it can be frustrating, we need queues to properly stress test our services and we are designing to ensure we have them some of the time.

Thabass

Forget it guys, no one is playing tomorrow

Thank god I'm going to PAX tomorrow. lol

DavidGzz

Druid first. I play a lot of necro in Season 28. Blood nova rocks. I am ready for some werewolf/bear action and the boulder toss looks like a lot of fun!

Last edited:

Krathoon

That kind of game development is kind of obnoxious. The focus group model of game development. Just make your game.

Last edited:
It will not let you get into a queue right now. It will say you have an invalid license.
It said my queue was 40 minutes… now after those 40 min im sure id get an invalid license, but is it worth getting in queue if the entry is after the unlock time? Or do i need to start the queue after the unlock time?

Gudji

Gonna grab some food for the queues. Anyways does anyone know how long does it take to reach lvl 20? Wanna get those free rewards from the beta.

Hot5pur

It will not let you get into a queue right now. It will say you have an invalid license.

Technically it will let you in the queue, and then it will just crap out when it counts down to 0.
I think this is a concern because if everyone starts queuing up before start time you won't know if that's kosher or if you'll need to restart the client after start time. You'd have to time it so that you enter the queue in a way that you try to login after the start time.

Also, to avoid stressing your GPU, cap your framerates at your monitor framerate. Just in case people missed it.
Also if you were using 16 GB of RAM and could not get High textures to show up, that issue has now been fixed, so adjust your graphics settings. The high textures DEFINITELY make a big difference.

Little Mac

So far it's Sorc>Rogue>>>>>Barb

Rolling Druid today. Hope it's fun despite not getting access to it's class specialization during the beta.

I have zero interest in the Necro class but will try it out after I get my fill of Druid. Judging by my experiences so far, somehow Necro will end up being my main at launch.

https://imgflip.com/i/7fp79j

Last edited:

Kacho

That kind of game development is kind of obnoxious. The focus group model of game development. Just make your game.
That's how it goes if they want to keep players. In Diablo 3 the Death's Breath drop rates were too low. People complained and Blizzard adjusted it. There's going to be tons of little things like that in Diablo 4.
what class are you guys trying out tomorrow. im gonna necro it up D:
Oh Necro for sure.

Last edited:
Top Bottom