• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo IV | Review Thread

What score do you think Diablo IV will get?

• 0 -10%

Votes: 2 0.7%
  • 10 -20%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 20 -30%

• 30-40%

• 40 -50%

• 50-60%

• 60-70%

Votes: 6 2.1%
  • 70-80%

Votes: 27 9.2%
  • 80-90%

Votes: 163 55.8%
  • 90-95%

Votes: 82 28.1%
  • 95-100%

Votes: 12 4.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

DavidGzz

I struggle to think of ways they can innovate in an isometric ARPG. It's doing most everything right for me.

I just cleared a stronghold solo that was level 29 at level 26 with no legendaries and that was tough! It was worth it to get a closer waypoint to where I was going though. So fun!

vpance

Yeah, he definitely goes into detail about things that he felt could have been done better, just outweighed by the positives overall.

I guess he liked the story? I skipped the beginning part of the review.

He had a lot of negatives and wishes for the game but he seems to think it's a great starting point. Probably better to say 'wait and see' as a more appropriate conclusion, but that doesn't make for an interesting video title on youtube.

Last edited:

DavidGzz

I guess he liked the story? I skipped the beginning part of the review.

He had a lot of negatives and wishes for the game but he seems to think it's a great starting point. Probably better to say 'wait and see' as a more appropriate conclusion, but that doesn't make for an interesting video title on youtube.

Maybe watch the whole thing.

It's interesting he spent 20+ hours in act 1. I was about to do that but realized how far behind I was from the streams I wanted to watch so I decided to progress the story. I could easily spend about 50 hours messing around early on. Clearing dungeons is a blast.

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Went to a friend's house and played on his level 30 Sorcerer, WT2.

I take back what I said on the difficulty - this shit can get challenging and I am so very happy. Still will wait a bit, but a lot of my fears have been alleviated after playing it for a few hours past its beta design.

DavidGzz

Went to a friend's house and played on his level 30 Sorcerer, WT2.

I take back what I said on the difficulty - this shit can get challenging and I am so very happy. Still will wait a bit, but a lot of my fears have been alleviated after playing it for a few hours past its beta design.

Maybe sorc is easy mode but I had to switch to T1 to beat a stronghold with my Rogue. Of course, I don't have any legendary items and I am not upgrading anything until later in the game so I have no one to blame but myself, but it's plenty challenging for Rogue while leveling for sure.

geary

SkillUp dropped his review-in-progress - no big shocker, he recommends it.

One of the worst review by him. Even if is a review in progress, you cannot complain that the itemisation and dungeons are not good based only on the campaign. 90% of the time you’ll spend it at max level and crunching numbers there, which is basically a different game. If PoE would have been reviewe base only on Act1-10 it would be a trash game, but the endgame is what made it top game in arpg genre…If he didnt had time to play end content delay the review.

Hot5pur

Glad to hear it has a good difficulty.
I think the limited dash was a good addition as a resource you have to manage. Always good when these games become more than a mindless click fest or entirely decided by build. More innovation in the ARPG space will probably come from introducing more ways in which player skill factors into success. So even if you followed a build guide to make a toon it will take more than mashing to do well.
Don't think that's what D4 is like but it seemed to move in that direction.

Laieon

So far all armor i've got is ugly.

So i highly believe Blizzard removed the best armor to sell in the shop :messenger_tears_of_joy:

I haven't really liked what I've gotten on my Necromancer so far, but I loved the gear I got on my Barbarian and Rogue when I played them on the beta. I was actually surprised at just how early your characters start looking good - I think visually gear in this is a massive step up from Diablo 3.

I hate how they wait to release the paladin/crusader archetype until DLC :(

I think it was Abraham Lincoln who famously said "Give me Witch Doctor or give me death".

Last edited:

Draugoth

Gold Member
I haven't really liked what I've gotten on my Necromancer so far, but I loved the gear I got on my Barbarian and Rogue when I played them on the beta. I was actually surprised at just how early your characters start looking good - I think visually gear in this is a massive step up from Diablo 3.

Diablo 3 graphics aged badly tbf

Vyse

Gold Member
So I have the base game paid and downloaded. Wife is working tomorrow. Do I drop the extra bucks to play early or finish up Zelda?

Mossybrew

a short story campaign,
You obviously didn't watch the whole video, he explicitly states the main story campaign is by far longer than previous Diablos combined. You're kind of showing your whole ass here and that's a bad look.

But whatever, if you're not into Diablo this game isn't going to change your mind. For fans it's a feast of riches.

Last edited:

Boneless

As someone who hates world scaling, it does work quite well and I enjoy always being able to coop with friends that are further ahead.

Thirty7ven

Banned
You obviously didn't watch the whole video, he explicitly states the main story campaign is by far longer than previous Diablos combined. You're kind of showing your whole ass here and that's a bad look.

But whatever, if you're not into Diablo this game isn't going to change your mind. For fans it's a feast of riches.

He says it’s a 15 hour story campaign does he not? It’s the game itself that is like 5x bigger than all Diablo’s put together.

Saying I’m showing my ass, what kind of talk is that? Are you touched in the head or something?

Boneless

Just had the world boss Avarice spawn, I did not get a signal on the map, I just happened to cross the area where he was spawning in 15mins.

Did not make it though, wonder if the 3hr timer is still true..

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
LMFAO a party of 2 people tried to gank me while I was farming the PvP zone and I tore them a new asshole. Feels good man.

edit: oops wrong thread

Last edited:

Zathalus

So far all armor i've got is ugly.

So i highly believe Blizzard removed the best armor to sell in the shop :messenger_tears_of_joy:
I've felt the exact opposite playing my Sorcerer. Store ones all look pretty trash, especially with the refresh that just occurred.

SaucyJack

So what’s different about the Xbox version that gives it a 4/5 point bump over PC/PS5?

Or rather is there something different about the review profile?

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Level 1-50 and doing campaign this game is 9/10 or 9.5/10.

World tier 3 and in general level 50-70 the game goes down to about a 8/10.

Level 70+ the game falls off a Cliff and is a 6/10 at best.

If season 1 is a flop this game will be dead to me until an expansion launch or a massive end game overhaul.

PoE2 can’t come soon enough .

Still not sure what seasons will entail but that's probably on me.

Agree that 1 - 50 and campaign is fun. And then it drops off. But that was all I was looking for out of Diablo. And I'll get most classes to 50.

There's just not much incentive to carry on past that for me. You don't access any new areas really or new story content. Helltides are kinda neat and world bosses, I guess.

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
Wtf. I just heard the patch notes were out and I'm looking at them now. The XP buffs are great, but these balance notes are pathetic. They say in the notes that they heard the players say that basic skills felt useless yet they are only buffing them by a single percent in some cases. That does fuck all.

The balancing across the board feels way too conservative.

Top Bottom