• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DICE should ditch frostbite

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
Word of note that OP hasn't addressed anyone since the thread was posted yesterday.

Having said that,
Imo frostbite has ran its course. It was once a good engine, but lately it has been surpased by other engines.
Such as?

The same bugs you saw 10 years ago are still present.
Suppose i am someone who knows nothing. Which bugs? You say Frostbite has ran its course and then bring nothing to support that assertion.

I say Build Engine has next-gen graphics. It was great back then and its even better now.

I bet DICE would do great again if they used Unreal Engine 5 instead.
I'd rather want DICE to keep their own engine. Too many games come out of the woodwork that either run on Unreal or Unity. Its a testament to the versatility of these respective engines, but it also quashes competition. We need more engines.

I remember that the original Mirrors Edge used a modified Unreal Engine 3 engine.
So? It used Illuminate Labs Beast lighting for global illumination. It still look amazing today, but Mirror's Edge Catalyst made that lighting dynamic and in Frostbite, using Enlighten.
I think Battlefield can be great again, but it needs an engine switch.
Its their own engine. They aren't going to ditch away years of work like that.

Edgelord79

Gold Member
You don't just throw all your iterations away. Its the same as when people say Bethesda needs to ditch the Creation engine.

Dice isn't going to throw away frostbite they sunk way to much money in the engine to ditch it square with the luminous engine didn't cost a third of what ea spent on frostbite.

ZywyPL

Banned
Oh hell no, it's an amazing engine. BF1, BF5, bothe Battlefronts are still on of the best looking FPS out there, and perform damn well while doing so, whether PC or consoles. The only games I can think of in terms of visuals and optimization compared to what DICE are doing with Frostbite is Doom and soon Halo Infinite, I can't think of anything else that looks this good at way more than 60FPS. They just need to bring back that amazing destruction system from BC2, that's all.

Last edited:

dano1

A Sheep
i agree. it's old now. time for something new. i played BF2042 beta on PC cranked right up and if i didn't know better i'd say it doesn't look much better than BF3/4. yknow, games from 8-10 years ago. and it's not even a visual thing. performance/stability ain't great either and don't throw me "iT's A bEtUr LoL". this game is meant to be out next month. it's not a fucking beta.
You obviously haven’t played Battlefield Betas before. Launch game looks so much better! I’ve played ever alpha beta they have put out.

Its not the launch version so what do you want to call it then?

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
This is some high quality animations. :messenger_beaming:
I guess Dice already changed game engine. To the Build Engine...

oCwJLQP.gif
Battlefield 2042: Reskinned NES Laddering Edition

Gold Member
I personally want as many engines on the market as possible.

Everyone going UE5 would only lead to stagnation.
I totally agree. Gaming has already stagnated a bit imo, I'd hate to see everything move to Unity or Unreal personally.

The beta was a glitch fest, BF beta's usually are. I fully expect it to shine a month or so after release so I'm not worried about them using Frostbite (just yet lol).

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I personally want as many engines on the market as possible.

Everyone going UE5 would only lead to stagnation.
For me, it's yes and no.

I don't know good UE5 is, but assuming it's one of the best out there that can make any type of game, I dont see why not use it for as many games as possible assuming the game maker can afford paying Epic and it's a powerful easy tool to use.

The thing is Frostbite seems like the only engine that makes these giant destruction BF games. But I dont know if thats due to UE 3 4, 5 cant handle it, or simply because nobody wants to bother attempting to make a big BF kind of game where everything can happen.

If nobody wants to make ginormous BF kinds of games except EA, then you might as well just stick to Frostbite as it's known to make it. So yeah, keep it around.

The one drawback is if UE5 resembles UE3 like during the 360 era where it seemed tons of games had that blocky grey and brown look to them. Its like everything was a square. I dont know if that was a game engine issue or if devs just copied each other's art and layout. I dont know if UE5 has this kind of nuance where game making will seem skewed to a certain look.

Last edited:

Gold Member
The one drawback is if UE5 resembles UE3 like during the 360 era where it seemed tons of games had that blocky grey and brown look to them. Its like everything was a square. I dont know if that was a game engine issue or if devs just copied each other's art and layout. I dont know if UE5 has this kind of nuance where game making will seem skewed to a certain look.
That’s the drawback of everyone using the same engine and leads to the stagnation L lostinblue was suggesting. Even if it’s not an engine issue, people using the same assets, packages, middleware, etc can lead to games that feel very similar.

I think (from what we have been shown) UE5 looks mind blowing and their megascan tech could mitigate my fears around diversity, but I’m in wait and see mode until we see some actual games running on it. Looking forward to it, but still don’t think everything should be running off a single vendors engine as whilst it speeds up development we are then reliant on a single company to make exciting breakthroughs and push engine tech forwards.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
That’s the drawback of everyone using the same engine and leads to the stagnation L lostinblue was suggesting. Even if it’s not an engine issue, people using the same assets, packages, middleware, etc can lead to games that feel very similar.

I think (from what we have been shown) UE5 looks mind blowing and their megascan tech could mitigate my fears around diversity, but I’m in wait and see mode until we see some actual games running on it. Looking forward to it, but still don’t think everything should be running off a single vendors engine as whilst it speeds up development we are then reliant on a single company to make exciting breakthroughs and push engine tech forwards.
Maybe UE5 can do a BF style game too. It would be awesome to see how a game would look and perform using a different engine to do tons of players and toppling buildings.

Problem is, nobody seems to want to do it.

So even if UE5 or some in house engine some studio has is awesome, we'll never see the full potential if it's just limited to the usual action game or sterile open world game.

Going by the 2042 demo and dabbling in other BF games, the games have incredible scope, so Frostbite is a cool engine. But there's shitloads of pop in, clip in, vehicles and parachuters doing weird physics. Even though I've played BF games 100x less time than COD, I sure seem to get a lot of game freezes and lock ups too. I dont know if thats a game engine or an unrelated netcode issue though. When I played BF1, the number of times me or my partied up buddies had to reboot and rejoin was insane.

Last edited:

Turk1993

GAFs #1 source for car graphic comparisons
The engine is not the problem, its the people that use it or manage the game thats been working on with it. Frostbite is a beastly engine that perform really well and looks amazing, i have yet to see other fps games that look better than even older Frostbite games from Dice
30118855320_24a21803da_o.jpg

29072040935_8b6543ce6e_o.jpg

38476398612_3df5f814ee_o.jpg

38508323091_1c49e091db_o.jpg

38452677376_dfdc25123f_o.jpg

37566263092_22ff543eaa_o.jpg

29072134195_e49a5d5d2f_o.jpg

29039866406_2330edbb81_o.jpg

Gold Member
Maybe UE5 can do a BF style game too. It would be awesome to see how a game would look and perform using a different engine to do tons of players and toppling buildings.

Problem is, nobody seems to want to do it.

So even if UE5 or some in house engine some studio has is awesome, we'll never see the full potential if it's just limited to the usual action game or sterile open world game.

Going by the 2042 demo and dabbling in other BF games, the games have incredible scope, so Frostbite is a cool engine. But there's shitloads of pop in, clip in, vehicles and parachuters doing weird physics. Even though I've played BF games 100x less time than COD, I sure seem to get a lot of game freezes and lock ups too. I dont know if thats a game engine or an unrelated netcode issue though. When I played BF1, the number of times me or my partied up buddies had to reboot and rejoin was insane.
Oh for sure it would be great to see something like BF in UE5, if its possible. The more big scale battle games the better!

I agree with you as well, having a proprietary engine doesn’t mean jack shit if there is a lack of imagination/skill when using it. Similarly, using something off the shelf can have great results if you have the talent - just look at some of the indie games we get today 😃

Last edited:

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Right???

OP posts yet never even elaborates on his points.

Frostbite is one of the best looking engines out there.
Battlefield V looks spectacular but is heavily heavily performant something every game engine strives to be.
I dont know many engines that couldnt handle the player count and scale of BF games without some heavy reworks at which point DICE might as well just iterate on their already great engine.

EWtgG8dWsAMFSWA

EWtgSevXQAAp5-9

EWtgQgLWAAAp1MQ

27073311348_f5586f459c_b.jpg

Gold Member
Right???

OP posts yet never even elaborates on his points.

Frostbite is one of the best looking engines out there.
Battlefield V looks spectacular but is heavily heavily performant something every game engine strives to be.
I dont know many engines that couldnt handle the player count and scale of BF games without some heavy reworks at which point DICE might as well just iterate on their already great engine.

EWtgG8dWsAMFSWA

EWtgSevXQAAp5-9

EWtgQgLWAAAp1MQ

27073311348_f5586f459c_b.jpg
People shat all over Battlefront 2 and with just cause mostly. But damn that game blew my mind graphically when it released!

Edit: Just to add that it was also great fun to play once some of my mates finally picked it up 😆

Last edited:

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
People shat all over Battlefront 2 and with just cause mostly. But damn that game blew my mind graphically when it released!

Edit: Just to add that it was also great fun to play once some of my mates finally picked it up 😆

MTX never bother me because I refuse to spend money on a game ive already paid for.
So I wasnt as 'flustered' as everyone else at the games launch. But there is no denying its one of the best looking games out there especially when you consider map sizes and player counts.

Heck id say even Battlefield V some of those DLC maps are absolute madness.

Gold Member
MTX never bother me because I refuse to spend money on a game ive already paid for.
So I wasnt as 'flustered' as everyone else at the games launch. But there is no denying its one of the best looking games out there especially when you consider map sizes and player counts.

Heck id say even Battlefield V some of those DLC maps are absolute madness.
Same, I didn’t give a shit about the MTX, I loved the first one (and the oldies) and just wanted more Star Wars in my life. Like you say it’s only an issue if you are tempted to buy that crap and it’s always completely ignorable in my experience. People were saying it was pay to win, but I never felt underpowered really.

Top Bottom