• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Did SFII save the SNES?

Laurent

Ninja Scooter said:
SNES is obviously closer. Genny version looks all dark and you can really see the lack of colors.
Wait, I'll see if I can get screenshots of Street Fighter II Champion Edition for the Arcade...

Yeah, that last batch is the best Laurent. And I agree with the Contra/Castlevania screen comparison not doing justice. I just wanted the satisfaction of more side-by-side shots. In motion, the audio and video aspect of CIV just runs circles around the Genny version. That's not to say they're both awesome.

I heart this thread.

border

Well with the tiny screenshots it's difficult to compare because they are just so damned tiny. Did anybody have to guess which platform was which in the screenshots I've posted? :lol I just thought it was so obvious that no labels were necessary.

It's not fair comparing World Warrior (SNES) to Special Championship Edition (Genesis), since some of the browner, uglier backgrounds in the Genesis version are supposed to be that way because backgrounds in CE (Arcade) were indeed made more brown.

With that said, it's seems pretty obvious that the SNES versions were closer in terms of look. Just notice how the they try to get away with only using only a handful of different colors in the backgrounds of the Genesis version. In Chun Li's stage, so many background elements are the same ugly hue as the ground (the hanging meat, the window shutters, the roof on the meat vendors' shack).

sf2a.jpg

In Balrog's Vegas stage, the two bikini girls have the same color bikinis -- and they are the same color as many other background elements (the car, and 2-3 of the spectators use the same color). In the SNES/Arcade versions, the bikini girls had two different color bikinis (orange/blue) and each of the spectators had fairly different colors.

genesis1.jpg

Laurent

There Scooter (I updated my original post). The original Championship Edition HAD some weird color scheme... But it's obvious that the Sega Genesis had less color choices on screen at once...

It's always obvious from screens which is which. The SNES has a smooth look with much deeper richer colors. The Genesis needs 48 Megs to even come close.

evilromero said:
It's always obvious from screens which is which. The SNES has a smooth look with much deeper richer colors. The Genesis needs 48 Megs to even come close.

Doesn't matter how many megs the Genesis one gets the top end of 64 colors on screen will always kill it. 64 colors in most cases is pretty good especially when handling anime style colorful games but for digitized graphics with lots of subtleties it just doesn't cut it. That is why MK is so painful looking.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
:lol You guys still haven't posted pics from the same version of Street Fighter II across all the platforms. Different color schemes were used in SF2 and SF2' CE. And yes, there WERE some SSF2 shots posted here earlier in this thread. If you can't find them you shouldn't be posting in this discussion. :)

Didn't Capcom redraw the sprites for the CPS2 SSF2, and then reuse the sprites from the older SF2 home versions for the home versions of SSF2?

Anyway, less colors or not, the Genesis SF2 CE/Turbo feels closer to the arcade version; plays a little smoother, and even the color schemes seem to match the arcade just a little better IMO.

Ninja Scooter said:
$400 for an addon just to play as one extra character, that was available on the SNES in Final Fight Guy anyway.

And TWO PLAYER play, and another level (it was removed from SNES), and better animation, etc.

border

Lyte Edge said:
:lol You guys still haven't posted pics from the same version of Street Fighter II across all the platforms. Different color schemes were used in SF2 and SF2' CE.
You think that's maybe because there is no single version of the games that spans all of those platforms? =P SNES only has Turbo, PCE doesn't have SSF2.
Anyway, less colors or not, the Genesis SF2 CE/Turbo feels closer to the arcade version; plays a little smoother, and even the color schemes seem to match the arcade just a little better IMO.
Did I just not spend an entire post pointing out some of the blatant problems with SF2: SCE? Color schemes do not match the arcade because the Genesis couldn't throw out as many colors as CPS1 or SNES (see China and Las Vegas backgrounds).

One weird thing is that both the SNES and Genesis versions have up a white wall on the far left in Bison's Thailand background....it wasn't there in the arcades though -- WTF?

By the time Final Fight was out, Sega CD was already at more than half of that '$400'.

I wasn't too crazy about that add-on back then, but in retrospect, Sega CD was probably the best supported add-on of that generation with some pretty good games. Can you say as much of the Activator? The Menacer? The Super Scope 6?

32X was overkill and pointless (though derivative, VF and VR Deluxe are well made on it, I'll concede that).

border

By the time Sega CD was $200, Final Fight was very old and had arguably been surpassed by the likes of Streets of Rage and the Konami beat-em-ups.

I guess it's subjective, but I'd argue that the PC Engine/TG16 CD add-on was probably better supported than the SegaCD (or at least its equal). Other SNES/Genesis peripherals weren't as well supported, but then again they weren't as expensive either. "In retrospect" is always a tricky term to use anyway, since a lot of systems that seemed like a bum deal at the time are pretty good years after the fact when you are not dealing with high game prices or software droughts (consider the N64).

I think the Sega CD gets far more shit than it ever deserves. There were a heck of a lot of games published for it and there was also a large amount of quality. There wasn't a single must have title that I can think of but there was a lot of games available.

32X, well that could have been something had Sega put their all into it. That machine was just beggin for ports of all of the sprite scaler arcade games Sega used to make.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Sega CD did have some good and even great games, but I wouldn't say there were a lot of them; more like a handful of games worth playing amongst a sea of FMV crap. :) But even the 32X, failure as it was, had some good games as well. Virtua Fighter, Virtua Racing Deluxe, Afterburner, Space Harrier, Star Wars Arcade, Blackthorne, and a few others were pretty damn good. The only game I never really found better than the Genesis version was Mortal Kombat II; I remember Gamefan saying it was better than the SNES version, but it seemed the same to me.

border said:
You think that's maybe because there is no single version of the games that spans all of those platforms? =P SNES only has Turbo, PCE doesn't have SSF2.

It's been a while since you've played the console versions I take it. :) SNES SF2 Turbo also has SF2 Champion Edition playable. Both the Genesis and SNES SF2' CE/Turbo games, despite different names, are the same game, but Genesis got some small extra features.

I'm only referring to SF2 CE/Turbo for this discussion, not SSF2. BTW the 40 meg SSF2 on Genesis had an extra play mode, one extra star of turbo speed, and all the voice. Why the SNES version didn't get this is beyond me.

Did I just not spend an entire post pointing out some of the blatant problems with SF2: SCE? Color schemes do not match the arcade because the Genesis couldn't throw out as many colors as CPS1 or SNES (see China and Las Vegas backgrounds).

I realize this, but I still think that the Genesis version looks overall closer to the original CPS1 version, plays smoother, and definitely SOUNDS closer as well.

border

Lyte Edge said:
I realize this, but I still think that the Genesis version looks overall closer to the original CPS1 version
You keep saying this, but could you at least explain why? So far the screenshot comparison has only revealed that the Genesis version is severely lacking in color and detail when compared to the SNES version (much less the arcade editions).

Looking at everything now, I'm pretty surprised at how everyone was taken in by the myth that World Warrior SNES was an arcade perfect port. Originally I had thought that the difference was just a few animations.....so it made sense that people might think it was perfect. But now, you can pretty clearly see that entire backgrounds were either redone or reduced in clarity. I'm pretty sure that every stage at least has one significant thing "wrong" about it. It seems like the character sprites are the only thing that wasn't overhauled.

border said:
"In retrospect" is always a tricky term to use anyway, since a lot of systems that seemed like a bum deal at the time are pretty good years after the fact when you are not dealing with high game prices or software droughts (consider the N64).

You don't have to buy systems if there are no interesting games on it. There was nothing worth shit on Sega CD before fall 1993 so there was no dilemma. Anyone buying it before that was paying a lot for a whole lot of nothing. By the time Sega CD II was released (fall 1993), things changed, price and software-wise. I wouldn't say it became amazing, but the support was fairly steady until 1995.

border

Well what games would you say justified the upgrade? I owned an original SegaCD and felt fairly ripped off at the time. It seemed like the main draw was moderately improved ports of games I'd already played on Genesis or SNES (Final Fight, Earthworm Jim, Mortal Kombat, Prince of Persia, etc). If Sonic CD and the Working Designs RPGs did it for ya then that's cool, but I didn't really feel like it was worth paying the price of an entirely new console.

Actually, I was eventually attracted to the Sega CD because of Sonic CD and those Dragon's Lair/Space Ace type of game (though those games were more adapted to the system rather than just being ports). I was amazed by Mansion of Hidden Souls even though it barely lasted 30 minutes. :)

The enhanced ports were a bonus, but not a reason to buy the system.

The RPG's and experimental games like Silpheed were not my cup of tea.

Laurent

Lyte Edge said:
:lol You guys still haven't posted pics from the same version of Street Fighter II across all the platforms.
Now I did... Street Fighter II Turbo on SNES VS Street Fighter II Champion Edition...

sf2turbosnes01.gif
sf2turbosnes02.gif
sf2turbosnes03.gif

sf2genesis01.gif
sf2genesis02.gif
sf2genesis03.gif

manngc

Shouldn't the Genesis screen shots be at a higher resolution than the SNES shots? Because I thought the SNES default rez was lower than that of the Genesis's default 320x240. One thing it clear from the pics is that Capcom did a good job mimicing the colors of the SNES and arcade versions with only have of the colors available (128 (SNES) to 64 (genesis) on Genesis.

However, the overall package of the SNES beats out the Genesis versions due to smoother graphics and nearly perfect voices and sounds. Music and gameplay weren't different enough to call one superior to the other (although I tend to like the SNES version more).

Mann

Laurent

manngc said:
Shouldn't the Genesis screen shots be at a higher resolution than the SNES shots? Because I thought the SNES default rez was lower than that of the Genesis's default 320x240. One thing it clear from the pics is that Capcom did a good job mimicing the colors of the SNES and arcade versions with only have of the colors available (128 (SNES) to 64 (genesis) on Genesis.

However, the overall package of the SNES beats out the Genesis versions due to smoother graphics and nearly perfect voices and sounds. Music and gameplay weren't different enough to call one superior to the other (although I tend to like the SNES version more).

Mann
Like I mentionned on my screenshots, the output of my Genesis emulator is 256 x 200 on Street Fighter II Champion Edition while the output of my SNES emulator is 256 x 194 for Street Fighter II and Street Fighter II Turbo. I never was aware that the Genesis had such a superior resolution than the SNES...

manngc

Instigator said:
Actually, the SNES had a much higher resolution setting (500 x 400 or something), but I've never seen a game use it. Ever.

Exactly. It's something that people just didn't realize at the time...

Wait, maybe there was a logo and title screen that used it. It's sadly where scaling and rotation was most often used with third-party developers as well. :lol

nightez

Banned
There's nothing better than playing SNESS SFII:Turbo with the speed bumped up to ten stars.
To this day no other fighting game can match it in speed, nothing!!!

nightez

Banned
manngc said:

Mann
The Snes was using 256 on screen colours on Street fighter

manngc

nightez said:
The Snes was using 256 on screen colours on Street fighter

I'm pretty sure it was only using 128 colors. The 256 color mode on the SNES was used very sparingly. The only game I'm sure that uses it is FF6/3. Outside of that one, I don't know what else used it.

Shompola

Banned
nightez said:
There's nothing better than playing SNESS SFII:Turbo with the speed bumped up to ten stars.
To this day no other fighting game can match it in speed, nothing!!!

I thought Snes version was slower than Mega Drive version or you had to unlock those speed stars in Snes version?

Laurent

128 colors on SNES. Check my GIF files...

Did anyone of you notice the absence of the moon in Ryu stage on SNES? I wonder why Capcom hasn't put it there, it's not like it was on a third layer on Genesis...

jcjimher

Not that I want to be picky, but the arcade CPS1 screenshots should be scaled to 4:3 proportions, since it was the real display at arcades for which the graphics were designed for. Wihtout scaling the graphics look really distorted (with fat characters and such).

I can't say the same about the console versions, though, since (at least the Genesis one) they had some black borders up and down and I don't know its real aspect ratio.

Anyway, despite being a Genesis owner at its time, and enjoying the gameplay-flawless version for my console, it's clear as day that the SNES version has better graphics (the Genesis advantages in resolution were not used and the colors were way more accurate on the SNES version), and best voice samples. On the other hand, I've always disliked the SNES remixes of the music (in general third parties relied too heavily on the SNES sound chip default samples IMO, with SF2 being one of the most notable cases), and I greatly prefer the Genesis soundtrack (even if the samples sound grainy as hell).

Laurent said:
Like I mentionned on my screenshots, the output of my Genesis emulator is 256 x 200 on Street Fighter II Champion Edition while the output of my SNES emulator is 256 x 194 for Street Fighter II and Street Fighter II Turbo. I never was aware that the Genesis had such a superior resolution than the SNES...

The Genesis mainly runs in 320x224 I believe. For whatever reason, possibly cross porting, Capcom didn't use this screen size for SFII. They did on Final Fight CD though. Check all the other Genesis game images in the thread. You'll see they are larger than the SNES ones.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Didn't Killer Instinct use the SNES' 256 color mode? I don't remember if it was for gameplay, or just stills or whatnot.

Warm Machine said:
Doesn't matter how many megs the Genesis one gets the top end of 64 colors on screen will always kill it. 64 colors in most cases is pretty good especially when handling anime style colorful games but for digitized graphics with lots of subtleties it just doesn't cut it. That is why MK is so painful looking.

Maybe it's just me, but I find a limited color palette more of a problem for digitized graphics than the ability to display a set number of colors on screen. The Genny's 512-color palette (versus the 32 000 of the SNES) is a bigger discrepency than displaying 64 of them simultaneously.

When I take a photo (say, a girl against a white background), limiting it to 16 colors still looks fairly good, but that's from a 24-bit palette with a choice of millions of colors. Big difference there.

claramorgane343oc.gif

Of course you can say having both limitations just makes it worse. :p

Instigator said:
Maybe it's just me, but I find a limited color palette more of a problem for digitized graphics than the ability to display a set number of colors on screen. The Genny's 512-color palette (versus the 32 000 of the SNES) is a bigger discrepency than displaying 64 of them simultaneously.

When I take a photo (say, a girl against a white background), limiting it to 16 colors still looks fairly good, but that's from a 24-bit palette with a choice of millions of colors. Big difference there.

claramorgane343oc.gif

512 colors is still a substantial palette but it really depends on whether those colors are fixed or modifyable. I don't know how the genny was set up. When a 320x224 image hits a display as big as a TV screen complete with the ole interlacing and raster lines it looks like hell.

Also the art for games has the sprites taking up very specific parts of the palette. The more sprites and more parts the less available colors for each particular element. I am not sure that the Genny could even load a entire 320x224 image up all at once as I think each large image had to be broken into many smaller ones and each smaller piece had a restricted color space. I could be way off base though as I started doing game art as the PS1 was a year old and never had a chance to touch the Genny.

Laurent

Instigator said:

claramorgane343oc.gif

Come on, you have a half-naked girl on a white wall. Of course this will look better than having to show Cun Li in her blue suit, Ken in his red suit, white a colorfull background has Balrog's stage...

How accurate can we say these emus are? I still have the actual systems putting out through S-vid (SNES) and composite (Gen) and I can better see the differences than in those screens.

Laurent

evilromero said:
How accurate can we say these emus are? I still have the actual systems putting out through S-vid (SNES) and composite (Gen) and I can better see the differences than in those screens.
Those emulator are so old and accurate... They've been perfecting the 16 bit emulation for so long now...

nightez

Banned
Shompola said:
I thought Snes version was slower than Mega Drive version or you had to unlock those speed stars in Snes version?
The Mega Drive was faster than the regular SFII but not faster than Turbo Edition. Turbo has the faster gameplay than any fighting game ever released.

Laurent said:
Come on, you have a half-naked girl on a white wall. Of course this will look better than having to show Cun Li in her blue suit, Ken in his red suit, white a colorfull background has Balrog's stage...

They're tiny sprites, not a poster.

Shompola

Banned
nightez said:
The Mega Drive was faster than the regular SFII but not faster than Turbo Edition. Turbo has the faster gameplay than any fighting game ever released.

Yah I know. But did you have to unlock those extra stars? Because I cant remember it having more than 4 stars or so when you begin from scratch. And I havent played the snes version for years so of course I dont remember everything correct. Just that I cant remember that all stars were unlocked from start.

Laurent

Instigator said:
They're tiny sprites, not a poster.
Imagine that girl fighting a clone of herself (with the same black bikini) on a white dull stage. You would need less color than a standard screen of Street Fighter II and it would look better...

Top Bottom