• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Did the White House Help Plan the Syrian Chemical Attack?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think this deserves its own thread. The mods can disagree and close it.

About the Author: Yossef Bodansky

- Israeli-American political scientist who served as Director of the Congressional Task Force on Terrorism and Unconventional Warfare of the US House of Representatives from 1988 to 2004.

- Director of Research of the International Strategic Studies Association and has been a visiting scholar at Johns Hopkins University's Paul H. Nitze School of Advanced International Studies (SAIS).

- In the 1980s, he served as a senior consultant for the Department of Defense and the Department of State.

- Senior editor for the Defense and Foreign Affairs group of publications and a contributor to the International Military and Defense Encyclopedia and is on the Advisory Council of The Intelligence Summit.
Did the White House Help Plan the Syrian Chemical Attack?

Some of the key highlights:

There is a growing volume of new evidence from numerous sources in the Middle East — mostly affiliated with the Syrian opposition and its sponsors and supporters — which makes a very strong case, based on solid circumstantial evidence, that the August 21, 2013, chemical strike in the Damascus suburbs was indeed a pre-meditated provocation by the Syrian opposition.

Initial meetings between senior opposition military commanders and representatives of Qatari, Turkish, and US Intelligence [“Mukhabarat Amriki”] took place at the converted Turkish military garrison in Antakya, Hatay Province, used as the command center and headquarters of the Free Syrian Army (FSA) and their foreign sponsors. Very senior opposition commanders who had arrived from Istanbul briefed the regional commanders of an imminent escalation in the fighting due to “a war-changing development” which would, in turn, lead to a US-led bombing of Syria.

Indeed, unprecedented weapons distribution started in all opposition camps in Hatay Province on August 21-23, 2013. ...

These weapons were loaded on more than 20 trailer-trucks which crossed into northern Syria and distributed the weapons to several depots. Follow-up weapon shipments, also several hundred tons, took place over the weekend of August 24-25, 2013, and included mainly sophisticated anti-tank guided missiles and rockets. Opposition officials in Hatay said that these weapon shipments were “the biggest” they had received “since the beginning of the turmoil more than two years ago”.

Several senior officials from both the Syrian opposition and sponsoring Arab states stressed that these weapon deliveries were specifically in anticipation for exploiting the impact of imminent bombing of Syria by the US and the Western allies. The latest strategy formulation and coordination meetings took place on August 26, 2013. The political coordination meeting took place in Istanbul and was attended by US Amb. Robert Ford.

Hence, even if the Obama White House did not know in advance of the chemical provocation, they should have concluded, or at the very least suspected, that the chemical attack was most likely the “war-changing development” anticipated by the opposition leaders as provocation of US-led bombing. Under such circumstances, the Obama White House should have refrained from rushing head-on to accuse Assad’s Damascus and threaten retaliation, thus making the Obama White House at the very least complicit after the act.

... Opposition reports that there was distinct stench during the attack suggest that it could have come from the “kitchen sarin” used by jihadist groups (as distinct from the odorless military-type sarin) or improvised agents like pesticides.

A small incident in Beirut raises big questions. A day after the chemical attack, Lebanese fixers working for the “Mukhabarat Amriki” succeeded to convince a Syrian male who claimed to have been injured in the chemical attack to seek medical aid in Beirut in return for a hefty sum that would effectively settle him for life. The man was put into an ambulance and transferred overnight to the Farhat Hospital in Jib Janine, Beirut. The Obama White House immediately leaked friendly media that “the Lebanese Red Cross announced that test results found traces of sarin gas in his blood.” However, this was news to Lebanese intelligence and Red Cross officials.

According to senior intelligence officials, “Red Cross Operations Director George Kettaneh told [them] that the injured Syrian fled the hospital before doctors were able to test for traces of toxic gas in his blood.” Apparently, the patient declared that he had recovered from his nausea and no longer needed medical treatment. The Lebanese security forces are still searching for the Syrian patient and his honorarium.

On August 24, 2013, Syrian Commando forces acted on intelligence about the possible perpetrators of the chemical attack and raided a cluster of rebel tunnels in the Damascus suburb of Jobar. Canisters of toxic material were hit in the fierce fire-fight as several Syrian soldiers suffered from suffocation and “some of the injured are in a critical condition”.

The Commando eventually seized an opposition warehouse containing barrels full of chemicals required for mixing “kitchen sarin”, laboratory equipment, as well as a large number of protective masks. The Syrian Commando also captured several improvised explosive devices, RPG rounds, and mortar shells. The same day, at least four HizbAllah fighters operating in Damascus near Ghouta were hit by chemical agents at the very same time the Syrian Commando unit was hit while searching a group of rebel tunnels in Jobar. Both the Syrian and the HizbAllah forces were acting on intelligence information about the real perpetrators of the chemical attack. Damascus told Moscow the Syrian troops were hit by some form of a nerve agent and sent samples (blood, tissues, and soil) and captured equipment to Russia.

Several Syrian leaders, many of whom are not Bashar al-Assad supporters and are even his sworn enemies, are now convinced that the Syrian opposition is responsible for the August 21, 2013, chemical attack in the Damascus area in order to provoke the US and the allies into bombing Assad’s Syria. Most explicit and eloquent is Saleh Muslim, the head of the Kurdish Democratic Union Party (PYD) which has been fighting the Syrian Government. Muslim doubts Assad would have used chemical weapons when he was winning the civil war.

“The regime in Syria … has chemical weapons, but they wouldn’t use them around Damascus, five km from the [UN] committee which is investigating chemical weapons. Of course they are not so stupid as to do so,” Muslim told Reuters on August 27, 2013. He believes the attack was “aimed at framing Assad and provoking an international reaction”. Muslim is convinced that “some other sides who want to blame the Syrian regime, who want to show them as guilty and then see action” is responsible for the chemical attack. The US was exploiting the attack to further its own anti-Assad policies and should the UN inspectors find evidence that the rebels were behind the attack, then “everybody would forget it”, Muslim shrugged. “Who is the side who would be punished? Are they are going to punish the Emir of Qatar or the King of Saudi Arabia, or Mr Erdo?an of Turkey?”

Rubbish King

The gift that keeps on giving
No they didn't

UpC9avy.gif

Is that you Obama?

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
...the article is talking about how the attack was created by the opposition to frame Assad in order to goad the US into action.

Forever

Banned
Oh great, a new generation of Truthers.

On that note, where's Obama's birth certificate? Is he a secret Muslim? Have we cleared that up yet?

xbhaskarx

It will be amusing to see people who grasp at the most tenuous straws and make the most ridiculous connections to create conspiracy theories, taking at face value an Israeli-American author that in other circumstances (eg if we were discussing his books on Islamic terrorism) they would dismiss as "obviously connected to the Mossad or CIA or Jewish bankers who secretly run the world" or whatever....

East Lake

At what point does conflicting evidence become "conspiracy"?
It's war reporting days after the fact. If there wasn't conflicting evidence it would be the first time in history. That means you have to work harder to find correct information, not conclude with a conspiracy theory.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I must say that I did find the cause and effect of "gassing happens - US declares support for military actions" absolutely headspinning. The US has ignored atrocities before, but you're ready to talk about action the very next day?

I don't know about false flags, but there is definitely political or economic motivation at play to go after Syria. It's not just because of the atrocities.

And I dunno. The CIA does stuff to shift political fortunes abroad. Countless regime changes of the 20th century were manipulated by their hand. I don't know about this one, but lets not act like this kind of stuff never happens....

Forever

Banned
If you read the article, the opposition reports that there was a distinct stench during the attack. Sarin is not odorless if it doesn't come from the military.

Did you know that the steel beams in the World Trade Center couldn't possibly have been melted by jet fuel 'cause it doesn't burn that hot herp derp.

Nokagi

Unconfirmed Member
Yes they did. But I don't have time to explain it all here. I gotta keep moving around a lot because I think they are on to me. And you know who I mean by "they". Gotta go.

Minion101

Banned
You're saying this is a false flag attack? I think we just happen to be, about to bomb another middle-eastern county.

He doesn't even source most of his claims

As opposed to the US classified intelligence sources? At least the US paid attention to him and his sources from 1988 to 2004 as the Congressional Task Force on Terrorism and Unconventional Warfare.

BTW, the author makes the connection to the US through a joint Qatari, Turkish, and US Intelligence effort called “Mukhabarat Amriki”. They briefed the rebels about a "war-changing event" around August 13-14.

As opposed to the US classified intelligence sources? At least the US paid attention to him and his sources from 1988 to 2004 as the Congressional Task Force on Terrorism and Unconventional Warfare.

So he was Bush's advisor during 9/11. Conspiracy theorists don't have a problem with that?

KHarvey16

Forever

Banned
So he was Bush's advisor during 9/11. Conspiracy theorists don't have a problem with that?
The Syria conspiracy is actually a Republican conspiracy. Inception.

Sanky Panky is one of the sheeple who doesn't realize how he's still being manipulated by the nefarious Bush era masterminds.

Tamanon

Banned
It's kinda odd that Yossef Bodansky would suddenly write his very first article for this conspiracy site(which happens to publish books about the New World Order and the Globalization Conspiracy). Especially considering he hasn't written anything in 6 years:p

Just putting it out there.

Especially since it lists his publication as Defense and Foreign Affairs and Oil Prices.....which just links you to a site called Oilprices.com. He writes for Defense & Foreign Affairs, no Oil Prices.

I must say that I did find the cause and effect of "gassing happens - US declares support for military actions" absolutely headspinning. The US has ignored atrocities before, but you're ready to talk about action the very next day?

I don't know about false flags, but there is definitely political or economic motivation at play to go after Syria. It's not just because of the atrocities.

And I dunno. The CIA does stuff to shift political fortunes abroad. Countless regime changes of the 20th century were manipulated by their hand. I don't know about this one, but lets not act like this kind of stuff never happens....

This is a fairly astute post.

This attack not being a false flag doesn't necessarily preclude our government being absolutely giddy that we get to go to war again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom