• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry - [4K] Horizon Zero Dawn In-Depth Tech Analysis

danowat

Banned
As expected, Guerrilla's level of technical accomplishment is simply sensational. Its ability to produce striking visuals has never been in question but the Decima engine has reached new heights with Horizon.

What works and what doesn't in Horizon Zero Dawn

[4K] Horizon Zero Dawn In-Depth Tech Analysis

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Y8u7MvuArA&t=5s

2160p Checkerboard rendering
Full 1080p downsizing
Improved anisotropic filtering filtering
No global illumination
GPU based procedural placement for rocks, foliage, wildlife and sound affects, all placed in realtime
Dynamically generated volumetric cloud simulation
True volumetric light shafts
Limited water reflections
No water reaction with character
No foliage reaction with character

What works

The world: From both a technical and artistic perspective, the world of Horizon is a triumph. The sense of scale on display is truly breathtaking and the game is rich in detail. Foliage and rubble pepper the landscape, towering mechanical cities tower in the distance while volumetric lighting hangs gently in the air. This is backed by a remarkable real-time cloud simulation that enables a realistic portrayal of the sky building a more cohesive environment in the process. The way in which these elements complement one another to create such an impressive environment stands out as a remarkable achievement in design.

Materials: Killzone Shadow Fall was one of the first games this generation to make use of physically-based rendering and Horizon continues that trend with a rich materials system. Horizon combines natural materials such as wood and stone with the ancient technology of the old world to great effect. The machines are decked out in futuristic looking polymers and metal plates which play nicely off the more natural surroundings resulting in a unique looking game. Textures are rich with detail and look great under a variety of lighting conditions.

Character animation and detail: Open world games sometimes make sacrifices to character detail out of necessity but impressively, Guerrilla manages to maintain a level of quality on par with a linear action game. Textures used on clothing and skin are of high resolution while the applied shading introduces an extra layer of realism. World traversal feels natural thanks to smart design, while inverse kinematics allow Aloy's feet and body to react naturally to the wild undulation of the terrain. The skeleton system from Killzone Shadow Fall makes a return enabling even more robust animation work. Each outfit exhibits bits and bobs which make use of a physics system designed to allow these materials to react naturally while moving. The quality of the models and fluidity of the animation all come together to create a satisfying sensation of movement and interaction which enhances the basic feel of the game - a key element in any third

Post-processing effects: Since Killzone 2, Guerrilla has pushed the envelope in terms of the quality of its post-process pipeline. From motion blur and depth of field to reflections and light blooms, Horizon makes use of the full suite of effects available in Decima. Motion blur is prominent throughout the game and applied to camera and character movement alike. This helps increase the fluidity of animation while emphasising dramatic actions. The effect is beautiful but subtle enough so as not to distract those that don't care for it. A high-quality bokeh depth of field is used both in photo mode and during conversations. The soft-focus effect is striking at times when contrasted against bright backgrounds. Each of these effects combine with one another to create an highly appealing final composition.

Frame-rate: On the surface, 30 frames per second doesn't sound especially impressive, but reaching such a stable level of performance in a game of this size and scope is an achievement indeed. We've tested many open world games over the years including Fallout 4, Just Cause 3, The Witcher 3, Infamous: Second Son and even the remastered version of Skyrim and many of those games suffer from noticeable hitches, skips and drops during traversal and combat alike. To play a game like Horizon at such a stable level of performance without any of these typical issues is something that simply must be commended. Beyond that, frames are evenly paced throughout eliminating any sense of instability in the process.

Loading times: Another potential pitfall we've often encountered with open world games are the loading times. Whether it's the lengthy waiting times of The Witcher 3 or the constant barrage of loading screens in Fallout 4, many gamers have become accustomed to staring at loading screens in open world titles, disrupting the all-important sense of immersion. In comparison, Horizon manages to dodge most of these issues. The initial startup can take between forty to fifty seconds to complete but once in the game, loading remains fast. Death generally means waiting less than ten seconds to retry while fast travel manages is always reasonable.

Pre-rendered video: While Horizon generally sticks to real-time cut-scene for its exposition there are several pre-rendered videos included as well. As a game in development well before the existence of the PlayStation 4 Pro, we wouldn't have been surprised to discover a selection of video encoded at 1080p. Thankfully, that is not the case and all the video content included in the game is displayed at a full 2160p instead. This ensures that there is never a disconnect between the game itself and the video sequences - a particular bugbear of ours on PS4 Pro and indeed PC gaming.

The map and menu system: As a role-playing game, players spend a decent chunk of time navigating Horizon's menu system and the experience really couldn't be more pleasant. While the game itself operates at 30fps, the frame-rate is increased to 60fps within the menu system. In addition, the map system is one of the best we've ever encountered thanks to a detailed 3D map that quickly communicates height and distance. The cherry on top is the high-resolution text and menu graphics used throughout - these elements use high resolution artwork designed for 4K displays.

What doesn't

Water rendering: Water often plays a large role in natural environments and Horizon is no exception. Unfortunately, the way in which water is portrayed here is at odds with the rest of the presentation. Screen-space reflections are kept to a minimum, only reflecting a small part of the surrounding environment with the game relying more heavily on baked textures instead. When encountering calm pools of water, the result sticks out against the otherwise superbly detailed environment. In addition, water does not react in any meaningful way to characters while moving through them. At least the portrayal of turbulent streams, such as water rushing down a rocky mountain pass, is decidedly more impressive at least.

Artificial intelligence: The world of Horizon is populated by an eclectic mix of humans and machines but engaging them can result in some head-scratching moments. When facing machines, the behaviour doesn't feel out of place but humans generally react to the player in less than satisfying ways. Case in point - early on, the player gains an ability to whistle which grabs the attention of the nearest enemy. By hiding in the bushes and whistling, you can attract a human to your position where you can immediately kill them from cover. By whistling repeatedly, it's possible to attract the attention of all nearby humans over time resulting in a pile of bodies as you dispatch each one. This type of behavior feels unnatural and cheapens the encounters with human enemies.

Lip sync: Horizon features a lot of conversations and a wide range of characters but not all characters exhibit the same level of quality. NPCs responsible for handing out lower tier quests often exhibit inaccurate lip synchronisation which looks out of place in such a beautiful game. There is a distinct feeling that lip sync quality is tied directly to the important of the character as main characters tend not to suffer from these problems.

Audio mix: Horizon sounds great overall apart from one small detail - voice playback positioning. Traditionally, when using a surround sound setup, voices should play back through the center channel speaker. In the case of Horizon, voices are panned right which means they play through the centre and right speaker but not the left. This creates a sense of imbalance that is highly distracting on surround set-ups. Now, this may seem like a nitpick, but at least for us, the effect of having voices panned right is distracting. This isn't an issue when played in stereo mode, but we would like to see this addressed in a future patch for users of a surround sound setup.

Camera position: Third person games often give users a choice on which side of the screen a character is placed - essentially letting you select the dominant shoulder. In Horizon, the game decides for you and in many cases, it doesn't feel quite right. Aloy is often pushed to the right side of the screen even in tight environments where the left side of the image is pushed up against a wall. It's a personal preference, but if you're used to playing with characters positioned to the left, this can be distracting and could potentially have been addressed with a simple option.

Anisotropic filtering on a standard PS4: The experience on a standard PlayStation 4 is generally excellent across the board but that doesn't mean it's perfect. Texture filtering is kept at a very low level on a standard system with otherwise detailed textures appearing blurry at oblique angles. It's likely that system resource limitations prevent the inclusion of higher quality filtering, but the results here are underwhelming nonetheless.

Shadow distance: In close proximity, shadow filtering is of exceptional quality but the resolution of the shadow maps quickly dissipates just a few metres from the player character. The shadow cascade quickly jumps from highly detailed to amorphous blob shadow in a way that can prove distracting at times. In the larger open areas, this is never a real problem, but it stands out while exploring dense forests and areas with lots of complex shadow work. Still, we'll always trade shadow quality for increased performance so Guerrilla made the right choice here.
Foliage interaction: You'll spend a lot of time traipsing grassy hills and dense forests and while the dense foliage looks beautiful, most of the plant life does not react to the player in any way. Instead of brushing up against these plants, the player simply clips right through them which looks a little off-putting next to the otherwise stunning animation work. As with shadow distance, however, this is likely a necessary trade-off in order to hit the target frame-rate.

Minor glitches: As polished as Horizon may be, this is still an open world game and as such, strange things can happen. From ducks walking in mid-air and boars clipping right through a stack of crates to enemies that just disappear into a wall after death, there's no shortage of this stuff. Most of it is good fun and harmless to the overall experience at least, but it's worth pointing out as it does momentarily break the immersion the game world works so hard to generate.

Shadows
Shadows are rendered beautifully close-up, but the effect transitions to a lower quality surprisingly close to the player. It's not noticeable in many scenes, but hard to ignore in foliage-heavy scenes like this one.

There are some amazing images in the video, maybe someone can grab some.

Pif

Banned
well...you gain some, you lose some.....it's already amazing what the achieved with the paltry ps4 hardware........especially when you consider the consistent performance.

Death Stranding, using the same engine, has amazing water effects already.

But I'm happy with the trade-off. The game looks superb.

Brix

Just finished watching it...amazing technical wizards. I don't think my body is ready. Kojima picked the right engine!

Death Stranding, using the same engine, has amazing water effects already.

But I'm happy with the trade-off. The game looks superb.

i will gladly lose water reflection so that i can have 99.9% consistent framerate..

also, don't think it's right to judge death stranding since it's more likely an in-engine target render (not saying it's pre-rendered)

danowat

Banned
Artificial intelligence: The world of Horizon is populated by an eclectic mix of humans and machines but engaging them can result in some head-scratching moments. When facing machines, the behaviour doesn't feel out of place but humans generally react to the player in less than satisfying ways. Case in point - early on, the player gains an ability to whistle which grabs the attention of the nearest enemy. By hiding in the bushes and whistling, you can attract a human to your position where you can immediately kill them from cover. By whistling repeatedly, it's possible to attract the attention of all nearby humans over time resulting in a pile of bodies as you dispatch each one. This type of behavior feels unnatural and cheapens the encounters with human enemies.

Huh, so another game that suffers this issue.

It's a shame that so many games have AI that are unaware of the demise of their other AI compatriots.

And this from the guys that got awards for the AI in Killzone 2. :|

humans arent the focus of combat in this game like kz2, you have more than 2 dozen completely unique machines to fight , complaining about shitty human ai is like complaining about no depth melee in doom.

Just further evidence that that CG trailer was not real time.

Tragic.

CG can still be in same engine though? unless youre implying water is just too hard to do and it simply wasnt a sacrifice GG made for horizon.

Tyaren

I have been patiently waiting for this tech analysis. It turned out to be great and worth the wait! Very good work @John. :)

The game looks absolutely amazing, both technically and artistically.
The few minor flaws are still a little disappointing though, such as no water reaction, very basic reflections and no foliage interaction.
My biggest gripe, if I would play the game on standard PS4, is the poor texture filtering however. Why again is AF so hard to implement this generation on console? It's something that does improve the visuals so much...or drags them down so much if not properly implemented. Even the Pro version's AF doesn't look that great to be honest. But it's at least some improvement. It shows they at least actually tried to make the best out of it, in contrast to many other developers, who just seem to ignore it completely.

Judge lip sync is weird because original audio isn't English.

Is that really true? I know the studio is Dutch but I'd find in pretty shortsighted to have the original lip sync in Dutch instead of English, which the vast majority will play the game in. CD Projekt Red also didn't use Polish as their OG lip sync... ;)

Hanmik

Huh, so another game that suffers this issue.

It's a shame that so many games have AI that are unaware of the demise of their other AI compatriots.

they actually are aware..

They even make comments when they find a body..

"Hey there is a body here"
"I know you are out there"
something like that.. they even shout it sometimes..

but the thing is.. they do not react to it (except sometimes in bandit camps), they do not alert the other enemies, they just comment on it.. it is kind of stupid.

You can even shoot enemies from far away, and nobody reacts to it.. even though you aren't hiding.

the worst one is probably the Heavy Weapons.. lol.. Last night I took a "Fire"-something shooter from a heavy enemy.. it fires
small bombs that explode on impact or after time
.. It makes A LOT of Noise.. like it is the loudest weapon in the game.
I stood far away from some enemies, but had tagged them, so I knew where they walked.. So I fired this LOUD NOISY weapon at them, and killed a lot of them. Nobody noticed me, I even killed enemies that stood 5 meters apart.. took them out one by one.. and none of them reacted to the other guy dying violently by
exploding
stuff..

And the ducks walking in the air are frequent and funny. I have seen NPC's trying to walk in to walls and up some mountain walls... they looks so funny when they get stuck.. They just keep at it, they do not change course or anything..

but the game is still FUCKING amazing.. !

danowat

Banned
they actually are aware..

They even make comments when they find a body..

"Hey there is a body here"
"I know you are out there"
something like that.. they even shout it sometimes..

but the thing is.. they do not react to it (except sometimes in bandit camps), they do not alert the other enemies, they just comment on it.. it is kind of stupid.

You can even shoot enemies from far away, and nobody reacts to it.. even though you aren't hiding.

huh, ok, that's even more strange, they are aware but don't react, maybe it could be patched?, or it was left out for some other gameplay reason?

Styles

Menus run at 60fps?

Thank you Guerrilla GODs.

gret.gif

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Loving this coverage but kind of wish they would wait for the day one patch since it will have significant changes to the way the game functions (optionally) on the Pro at launch.

I guess its the same effect, but would rather have an "All inclusive" video than a seperate video right now vs 6 days from now.

At work right now but can't wait to watch this in the morning. Keep up the hard work DF!!!

Huh. Sounds exactly like Shadow of Mordor right down to the stupid AI.

Joey Ravn

Banned
Everything about this game looks amazing. I've already have my Digital Deluxe edition pre-ordered!

Hopefully I can overcome my common problems with 30 FPS games. They tend to give me headaches after a few minutes of gameplay. Seems it's practically locked at 30, which should help me get used to it more easily.

Tajaz2426

Psychology PhD from Wikipedia University
I enjoyed that read, down the middle, of something is wrong it is wrong. If something is right, they state that also. I have to s I am completely amazed by the game. I hope maybe they could patch some of these issues, like the A.I.. I know they react, but not to certain things, maybe they could make them a little more aware of their surroundings.

All in all, I am super impressed. Thank you leagues and gents of Digital Foundry.

Edit: off topic guys, but I am not very tech savvy. Can I see if someone replies to me in a thread, other than going through each page? Also, how do I subscribe to a thread, itself?

Hanmik

Huh. Sounds exactly like Shadow of Mordor right down to the stupid AI.

You have a skill tree. You can unlock 2 skills easily .. one that lets you whistle to get enemies attention, and one that let´s you silently kill enemies with the press of a button.

These 2 skills kind of break the game at times. You just hide in the grass, whistle at an enemy, kill him when he comes over. And then repeat the process. Nobody will notice you, unless you stupidly move..
IT EVEN works with most of the mechanical beasts also.. the smaller ones die with one press of the silent hit button. So you can just sit in the grass, whistle, silent kill until you get tired of it..

BUT that is a only ONE way to play the game, you can decide for yourself how you will fight the enemy. That is the real beauty of the game..

Carn82

Maybe, but motion cap actress for Aloy is Hannah Hoekstra (Dutch Actress) and not Ashley Burch.

We Dutch speak pretty good English ;) -IF- they mocapped dialogues they would certainly be in English. Also, they based Aloy's likeness on Hoekstra (who had her face scanned), I can't seem to find anything where they say that Hoekstra actually did the mocap or any kind of recording.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Loving this coverage but kind of wish they would wait for the day one patch since it will have significant changes to the way the game functions (optionally) on the Pro at launch.

I guess its the same effect, but would rather have an "All inclusive" video than a seperate video right now vs 6 days from now.

At work right now but can't wait to watch this in the morning. Keep up the hard work DF!!!
That patch will get its own video but, for now, I have to break off and work on other projects (and I'm not even sure I'll hit my target dates now). :(

Hanmik

That patch will get its own video but, for now, I have to break off and work on other projects (and I'm not even sure I'll hit my target dates now). :(

still sitting here and waiting for the patch... and the option to sync my trophies..

illamap

Wouldn't having no global illumination mean that shadowed would be pitch black? Also wouldn't metals be pitch black in areas where there is no direct lighting without some form of global illumination (indirect specular).

Kayant

Edit: off topic guys, but I am not very tech savvy. Can I see if someone replies to me in a thread, other than going through each page? Also, how do I subscribe to a thread, itself?
Click subscribe at the top right of the thread on desktop or on mobile from the thread page on the bottom right click tools --> Add subscription --> Check the thread --> Profit.

Edit -

It terms of replies see this chrome extension

Edit 2 -

Can also be installed on other browsers through a user script

Vuze

Everything about this game looks amazing. I've already have my Digital Deluxe edition pre-ordered!

Hopefully I can overcome my common problems with 30 FPS games. They tend to give me headaches after a few minutes of gameplay. Seems it's practically locked at 30, which should help me get used to it more easily.
Yeah I hope so as well. Horizon doesn't seem nearly as blurry during camera motion as UC4 which was the latest offender for me in this regard.
Overall, hugely impressive. It just looks superb and I love the setting. Glad it turned out to be a good game too.

Edit: off topic guys, but I am not very tech savvy. Can I see if someone replies to me in a thread, other than going through each page?
You can search for your user name. Other than that, unfortunately not.

danowat

Banned
The part I took from the video about "GPU based procedural placement for rocks, foliage, wildlife and sound affects, all placed in realtime" isn't (or doesn't seem to be) mentioned in the accompanying text "review".

This seems quite trick to me, is this a usual system?, is it GG proprietary tech?, or using something off the shelf, like Speedtree et al?

Salex_

Side note:

Guerrilla talk about knowledge sharing with other Sony 1st Party.

https://www.finder.com.au/horizon-zero-dawn-guerilla-games-interview

Pretty cool to read this. I've never really thought about when developers actually play their game.
Sony UK’s Jon Edwards said that Aloy would become a future Sony icon alongside the likes of Sackboy and Nathan Drake. It seems Sony has a lot of confidence in this IP. Have you guys already starting thinking about the future?

We definitely did a lot of world building. We also spent a lot of time, trying to build Aloy, not just as a character that goes through a series of events in the game, but as a fully rounded character. We had to build dialogue that actually made sense for Aloy’s character and write with the confidence that, yes, that is how Aloy would act or behave.

It’s awesome. The confidence Sony has shown by allowing us to get the reviews out a week before the game comes out. Even just the confidence in Guerrilla to say “yes, you can make this incredibly risky, long and dangerous project”. There’s definitely stories in people’s heads, and definitely lots of stories that we could tell. At the moment, there’s a lot of people just taking time off. Now that we’ve hit gold, a lot of people are playing through the game naturally. Because a lot of the time when you’re working on it, you play in God Mode. Which means you don’t fully engage with the gameplay in the right way. Because you don’t need to lay traps, you don’t need to be stealthy, because you’re not going to die. For the longest time, I didn’t even play the game without headphones on so for us to see all the final content with voice-overs and cinematics in there is pretty special. When I see a game dev who’s been working on this game for years and years still smile and get excited when they get to play, it makes me really happy.

Tajaz2426

Psychology PhD from Wikipedia University
Click subscribe at the top right of the thread on desktop or on mobile from the thread page on the bottom right click tools --> Add subscription --> Check the thread --> Profit.

Yeah I hope so as well. Horizon doesn't seem nearly as blurry during camera motion as UC4 which was the latest offender for me in this regard.
Overall, hugely impressive. It just looks superb and I love the setting. Glad it turned out to be a good game too.

You can search for your user name. Other than that, unfortunately not.

That is unfortunate, however, thank you guys very much for the information. It is very much appreciated and again thank you.

dr guildo

I also noticed that water and fluids seemed to be the weak point of Decima.
And God knows how I like water visual in games...

danowat

Banned
Now this is what i want to learn more about from Guerrilla games.

Yup, me too ,it sounds very interesting, looks like it is indeed proprietary tech.

http://wccftech.com/horizon-zero-dawn-gpu-based-procedural-tech/

Guerrilla Games' Senior Tech Programmer, Jaap van Muijden, will talk about this new procedural placement system during a programming session at the Game Developers Conference 2017 (GDC 2017) in San Francisco next year.

Jaap van Muijden from Guerrilla Games will describe the GPU based procedural placement system that dynamically creates the world of ‘Horizon: Zero Dawn' around the player. Not limited to just rocks and trees, the procedural system assembles fully-fledged environments while the player walks through them, complete with sounds, effects, wildlife and game-play elements. He will show the entire pipeline, from the graph editor where artists can define the procedural placement rules to the GPU algorithms that create a dense world around the player on the fly. He will demonstrate the power of this procedural approach by showing how painting in a tree line and redirecting roads can be just as easy as moving mountains and changing a desert into a tropical swamp.

Takeaway

Attendees will be introduced to our new GPU-based run-time procedural technology. Learn how the team at Guerrilla Games used compute shaders to dynamically populate the world around the player. Find out how artists define and edit their diverse environments and how this procedural workflow allows global and independent content iterations for both artists and designers.

nOoblet16

Shadow Fall has better water iirc.
I don't remember Shadowfall having water that didn't look flat and had interaction. It had good SSR in puddles and stuff but that's different from water rendering as often the tech used for puddles is different from tech used for water bodies like lake/river.

With that in consideration, every GG game has had shit water. Even the amazing waves in KZ3 lacked any sort of transparency and were just precomputed movements that went on loop and also had very harsh polygonal edges.

bombshell

The part I took from the video about "GPU based procedural placement for rocks, foliage, wildlife and sound affects, all placed in realtime" isn't (or doesn't seem to be) mentioned in the accompanying text "review".

This seems quite trick to me, is this a usual system?, is it GG proprietary tech?, or using something off the shelf, like Speedtree et al?

Isn't it this part?

The Decima engine employs a GPU-based procedural generation technique, which we'll learn more about at GDC, responsible not just for this insane level of world creation, but also for audio, wildlife and even gameplay elements.

The link is for the presentation details:

Speaker:
Jaap Van Muijden | Senior Programmer, Guerrilla Games
Date: Wednesday, March 1
Time: 5:00pm - 6:00pm

Takeaway
Attendees will be introduced to our new GPU-based run-time procedural technology. Learn how the team at Guerrilla Games used compute shaders to dynamically populate the world around the player. Find out how artists define and edit their diverse environments and how this procedural workflow allows global and independent content iterations for both artists and designers.

Top Bottom