• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry - [4K] Horizon Zero Dawn In-Depth Tech Analysis

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
I didnt watch the video but i listened to the audio of it.

Im fucking hyped beyond normal hype levels.

Woo, I've been waiting for this video. :)

I'll watch it in a few.

Question: Is good AI really that taxing, especially for open world games?

Also, I thought foliage reacted to Aloy in the first gameplay reveal after she drops down to the grass before she kills the Watcher. Maybe it didn't.

Blackthorn

"hello?" "this is vagina"

I'll watch it in a few.

Also, I thought foliage reacted to Aloy in the first gameplay reveal after she drops down to the grass before she kills the Watcher. Maybe it didn't.
Long grass does react to Aloy, but other foliage doesn't.

nOoblet16

I'll watch it in a few.

Yes it's CPU intensive and in open world game the AI has a lot more area to travel and a lot more variations in the area and environment.

Reminds me of

MYahiK4.gif

This was beautiful.

Space_nut

I'll watch it in a few.

It doesn't fully react. It sways a bit but it clips through her. But for any other foliage and grass on the ground there's no interaction at all. I would be cool to see the grass bend and stay bent after characters walk through them. Could be a cool mechanic for hunting. This is what sequels are for though!

Prithee Be Careful

Industry Professional
How do people do those?, every site I try makes terrible GIF's

3lG0pr.gif

All that talk of diminishing returns we heard back at the start of the gen seem really silly now. I know it's subjective, but I'm blown away by what we've seen developers achieve in a single console generation.

I remember seeing TLOU running on PS3 and thinking 'man there's not far to go from here, is there?'. How wrong I was - even the remaster of that game looks dated now.

AC Unity still has the best lightning this gen imo. Don't know why it hasben't been implemented more.

Because due to its nature, aka fully baked lightmaps stored on disk, most of the geometry has to be static and you can have dynamic Time Of Day, which in the case of Horizon or any open world would be bad.

Regarding the "No GI = pitch black when no direct illumination" question, the easiest way to solve this problem is to use Image-Based Lighting with reflections probes scattered all around the scene.

This way, it is possible to do proper lighting computation even when parts of the scene are supposed to be occluded from a direct light source. As long as there is an available probe in the vicinity, it will provide the necessary informations to compute the diffuse irradiance and the specular radiance terms (since they are most likely using a PBR workflow with something like a Cook-Torrance BRDF).

Ahasverus

Because due to its nature, aka fully baked lightmaps stored on disk, most of the geometry has to be static and you can have dynamic Time Of Day, which in the case of Horizon or any open world would be bad.
I see. Shame it's not even used in linear games, it really looks fatnastic. But most games have good enough lighting now, which makes them look really great. This gen has really been defined by lighting advancements imo.

I see. Shame it's not even used in linear games, it really looks fatnastic. But most games have good enough lighting now, which makes them look really great. This gen has really been defined by lighting advancements imo.

It is basically the same situation as in that video for example.

The reason it looks that amazing is because everything is precomputed and baked. And because of that, everything has to be static, else things would look off in an instant. The only way to approach this kind of graphical fidelity (in real time of course) is to use an approximation of Global Illumination.

Image-Based Lighting is such an approximation actually, with fairly obvious limits since while it allows fully dynamic scene, it still relies heavily on precomputed maps from the skybox or reflection probes (Ubisoft did something pretty interesting with The Division to counter that problem by updating informations of the reflection probes at runtime to achieve a more convincing GI).
Another way is to use Voxel Cone Tracing to achieve GI. Nvidia's VXGI and Tomorrow's Children lighting model are based on this technique. It still has quite an high rendering cost which explains why (among other reasons) we do not see this solution very often. But in my opinion, the future of affordable and convincing GI lies in VCT.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
All that talk of diminishing returns we heard back at the start of the gen seem really silly now. I know it's subjective, but I'm blown away by what we've seen developers achieve in a single console generation.

I remember seeing TLOU running on PS3 and thinking 'man there's not far to go from here, is there?'. How wrong I was - even the remaster of that game looks dated now.

And in an open world game too no less.

Thanks for an in-depth technical analysis :)

The article doesn't mention destructible log houses, rocks and trees; I hope it's discussed in the video.

i convinced my bro to get the game, it only took a lot of footage and gifs (and putting half of the cash myself lol)

we both playing at launch, shit is gonna be good

Wollan

Thanks for an in-depth technical analysis :)

The article doesn't mention destructible log houses, rocks and trees; I hope it's discussed in the video.
It is (both trees and houses). You see a creature taking down a few trees. They mention it affecting gameplay so not just visual pleasantry.

Ahasverus

I don't understand. If The framerate is already locked 30, what would "better framerate2 mean? And also, so the "perfomance" mode doesn't downsample? This is getting confusing.

Hanmik

I made Dark aware of the Patch..

he said "Nice! The patch must have just come online recently. I'll give it a look!"

can't wait to see what he has to say.:!

I don't understand. If The framerate is already locked 30, what would "better framerate2 mean? And also, so the "perfomance" mode doesn't downsample? This is getting confusing.
How is this confusing?

Favor resolution - 2160c and 30fps
Favor performance - 1080p, better effects, and more stable 30fps

EDITED for accuracy.

Ferr986

How is this confusing?

Favor performance - 1080p, better effects, and higher than 30fps

It's weird that the version with better effects has unlocked framerate. Feels like it should be like ROTTR: 4k mode, 1080p 30 fps w/better graphics mode, and 1080p unlocked framerate mode.

Depending on how better those effects are the unlocked framerate may do more harm than good.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
How is this confusing?

Favor performance - 1080p, better effects, and higher than 30fps
It's not higher than 30fps. It's still capped.

Not sure what the differences are outside of a lower resolution right now. Will require the microscope.

Tyaren

Maybe they bump the framerate up to something like 40fps and additionally have some power left for graphical enhancements like better shadows, better texture filtering etc...

Not sure what the differences are outside of a lower resolution right now. Will require the microscope.

Huh? Strange... Didn't you notice any visual enhancements?

It seems unlikely they'd bother patching in a separate mode that does nothing, but okay. I've changed my post in light of this.

Did you test that one house that consistently dropped frames before? Is it 30fps now?

dark10x

It seems unlikely they'd bother patching in a separate mode that does nothing, but okay. I've changed my post in light if this.

Did you test that one house that consistently dropped frames before? Is it 30fps now?
I want to but it's locked now and I have no saves near there. Might have to try that initial battle at the gates which showed a few minor dips. Just to see if it cleans it up.

What's odd is that the performance mode also drops the resolution on the text/HUD down to 1080p.

Ahasverus

It seems unlikely they'd bother patching in a separate mode that does nothing, but okay. I've changed my post in light if this.
It removes downsampling! hahaha.

There's probably some particles trickery going on, but I'd guess unless Guerrilla says something, we'll stay in the dark.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
John is a treasure

So is there a huge gap here between the Pro version and OG?

DF seems really focused on the Pro version and it gives me that feeling like OG is not the "real" one and that I'm missing out on how the game is supposed to look :(

They are literally the same game apart from AF, res and draw distance on Pro.

This is a PS4 game through and through

Wollan

Thanks for sharing this info. Does the video include any spoilers?
Kinda. Have you seen the intro or not? There are glimpses. I think I saw one weird new creature in the distance somewhere.

I don't feel bad having watched it and I'm spoiler-sensitive.

Shin-Ra

I wonder if it's the first PS4 game with 2160p or HEVC/VP9 encoded video. I'll be having a closer look once the game's on my own TV.

KZ Shadow Fall's cutscene video quality wasn't great so hopefully this is a big step up!

Kinda. Have you seen the intro or not? There are glimpses. I think I saw one weird new creature in the distance somewhere.

I have seen part of the intro, lots of the preview footage, the technical masterpiece and 4K Digital Foundry Video.

I'll take your word for it and watch the video later today. Thanks :)

dark10x

Yeah, I show a lot of locales but it's all without context. Tried to avoid spoiling any events in the game. Without knowing how the game progresses, the random shots really don't amount to much other than cool visuals, I think.

KZObsessed

I closed the video pretty quickly when I started seeing things I hadn't seen before. But what I saw before that was fucking incredible.

Seik

Banned
Wow, this game looks fucking incredible, and stable af!!!

I'm jumping on it right after BOTW, sounds like a must-have.

J-Skee

I said got damn!

Guerrilla really has upstaged Naughty Dog with this. It's insane. I can't wait to what ND does with Last of Us Part II though. And let's not forget about Santa Monica either. God of War can easily take the crown if what I saw at E3 still holds.

Top Bottom