• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry - [4K] Horizon Zero Dawn In-Depth Tech Analysis

It's not a review or an opinion piece so their personal opinion isn't the point of these videos and it shouldn't factor into them. They're free to voice their opinions elsewhere but if you call a video an analysis, then that's what it should be. Excuse me for having higher standards than you.

This post first made laugh... then made me cry...

Found this rather enlightening. The trade-offs seem more than worth it for how insane the game tends to look and the smoothness of the combat. Hearing dark10x succumb to his love for incredible tech was awesome.

This post first made laugh... then made me cry...
I think they are dead inside, or think the analysis is for the performance of a corporation rather than you know. a videoGAME. Take your head out of your behind, Harlequin. Jeebus lol

Gitaroo

can't they add 1800c for performance mode, that drop is probably enough to help smoothing out the slight frame drop in certain area. 1080p with no enhancement and still locked to 30fps seems kind of pointless to me.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
can't they add 1800c for performance mode, that drop is probably enough to help smoothing out the slight frame drop in certain area. 1080p with no enhancement and still locked to 30fps seems kind of pointless to me.

Are Pro boost mode games pointless?

Harlequin

get the flip over it. If you don't like john expressing his viewpoints, don't watch DF.

Get the eff out of here with that "higher standards" garbage. That holier than thou attitude is the problem.

I'd say the problem is people having such a thin skin that they freak out at the slightest sign of negativity or criticism but alright.

If all the facts are there then what the fuck is the problem? Just ignore the bits where he so wrongly expressed his views. Isn't the whole point of the techniques they use to make a game is to make it look visually appealing and run well. So what's wrong with using words that describes what it looks like when all that tech is brought together.

That's the attitude I usually take (ignore the meaningless, subjective stuff and only watch for the facts) but this video was kind of extreme even for DF's standards which is why I felt the need to comment on it in the first place. If he'd just mentioned that he thinks the game looks good or beautiful or whatever a couple of times, I wouldn't have bothered saying anything but, like I said, it almost sounded like someone from Sony's PR department wrote parts of the script (before anyone starts misinterpreting that sentence, I'm definitely not suggesting that Sony actually had a hand in creating this video) and I couldn't even get myself to finish watching the video. I don't see the problem with sharing my POV on that. Apparently, I'm in the minority so I don't expect them to do anything about it and that's fine, I just don't think the kind of reaction my comment has elicited is the appropriate response to someone civilly voicing an opinion you disagree with on a message board (yours was about the least problematic response). (And yes, I am aware of the irony that can be found in me saying people should let me express my opinion when I've just criticised DF for expressing theirs but it's all about context. I wouldn't dream of telling anyone from DF that they shouldn't share their opinions on forums, in opinion pieces, reviews, etc. Just saying that I don't find it entirely appropriate in the context of a technical analysis.)

As for what's wrong with bringing so much of your opinion into an analysis? Opinions are subjective, they're not factual and they are, in the context of an analysis, pretty much a meaningless waste of time and space. Though, of course, not entirely meaningless because they do affect and distort the way the facts are perceived by the audience when the audience should actually be forming their own opinions based only on objective facts. You would never read sth like "this is the most beautiful painting produced in the entirety of the 16th century" in a professional art analysis, for example (which isn't exactly the same thing but I think similar principles regarding objectivity and subjectivity apply).

I think they are dead inside, or think the analysis is for the performance of a corporation rather than you know. a videoGAME. Take your head out of your behind, Harlequin. Jeebus lol

I wish I could but I'm afraid it's stuck :p.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
It's not a review or an opinion piece so their personal opinion isn't the point of these videos and it shouldn't factor into them. They're free to voice their opinions elsewhere but if you call a video an analysis, then that's what it should be. Excuse me for having higher standards than you.
Hmm, I think we just have a different idea of what the video is. It seems like you are expecting a type of video that I never set out to make.

For this one, I was going after an almost "nature show" kind of vibe simply because I felt it was so beautiful and wanted to showcase the tech. I want to showcase and recognize the achievements of developers - if they are deserved, of course. The facts are all there and can be parsed as you see fit.

...and I think the numbers show that people would rather watch something like this as the more straightforward, dry videos tend to do much worse overall. I simply prefer making this type of video but I'll consider your suggestions as well.

Gradly

That's the attitude I usually take (ignore the meaningless, subjective stuff and only watch for the facts) but this video was kind of extreme even for DF's standards which is why I felt the need to comment on it in the first place. If he'd just mentioned that he thinks the game looks good or beautiful or whatever a couple of times, I wouldn't have bothered saying anything but, like I said, it almost sounded like someone from Sony's PR department wrote parts of the script (before anyone starts misinterpreting that sentence, I'm definitely not suggesting that Sony actually had a hand in creating this video) and I couldn't even get myself to finish watching the video. I don't see the problem with sharing my POV on that. Apparently, I'm in the minority so I don't expect them to do anything about it and that's fine, I just don't think the kind of reaction my comment has elicited is the appropriate response to someone civilly voicing an opinion you disagree with on a message board (yours was about the least problematic response). (And yes, I am aware of the irony that can be found in me saying people should let me express my opinion when I've just criticised DF for expressing theirs but it's all about context. I wouldn't dream of telling anyone from DF that they shouldn't share their opinions on forums, in opinion pieces, reviews, etc. Just saying that I don't find it entirely appropriate in the context of a technical analysis.)

As for what's wrong with bringing so much of your opinion into an analysis? Opinions are subjective, they're not factual and they are, in the context of an analysis, pretty much a meaningless waste of time and space. Though, of course, not entirely meaningless because they do affect and distort the way the facts are perceived by the audience when the audience should actually be forming their own opinions based only on objective facts. You would never read sth like "this is the most beautiful painting produced in the entirety of the 16th century" in a professional art analysis, for example (which isn't exactly the same thing but I think similar principles regarding objectivity and subjectivity apply).

I don't have a problem with expressing views and opinions on videos dedicated for analysis tech cuz I don't expect robots to give me pure analysis, plus opinions and personal views are not limited to this game in particular, any game that looks pretty, believe me they will tell you it looks pretty, so it's fair for all games.

I'm curious to know your stance about reviews then? If they are opinions and subjective, why do we even care about reading them at all? You know, I actually prefer a tech guy's opinion on something than a so called pro reviewer's to make a purchase decision

Gradly

Hmm, I think we just have a different idea of what the video is. It seems like you are expecting a type of video that I never set out to make.

For this one, I was going after an almost "nature show" kind of vibe simply because I felt it was so beautiful and wanted to showcase the tech. I want to showcase and recognize the achievements of developers - if they are deserved, of course. The facts are all there and can be parsed as you see fit.

...and I think the numbers show that people would rather watch something like this as the more straightforward, dry videos tend to do much worse overall. I simply prefer making this type of video but I'll consider your suggestions as well.

Good job DF, I would rather listen to your own opinion about games rather than the opinion of some random reviewer anytime

Moosichu

I'd say the problem is people having such a thin skin that they freak out at the slightest sign of negativity or criticism but alright.

Stop putting your opinions in your posts. I thought you had higher standards than that.

What have opinions got to do with standards?

I understand where you are coming from, but it's clear when an opinion in the video is that, an opinion. Everyone views the world differently and has their own interpretation of things. There is always filtering going on as it would be impossible to capture everything that would be required to make an objective analysis. The danger is when opinions are presented as facts, which really don't happen in these videos.

Planet

And here I thought people would criticize the video for being nitpicky on minute bugs and compromises, while just trying to paint a compete picture. Silly me! XD

Harlequin

I think we just have different ideas of what constitutes an analysis and that's fine. Like I said, I'm obviously in the minority so it's only fair that you stick to what you've been doing and I do generally like your content. Personally, I'd appreciate it if it wasn't quite as full of marketing-speech-style commentary as this one tech analysis video but hey, life is not a bowl of cherries and I can't very well expect you to gear your content solely towards me :p.

I don't have a problem with expressing views and opinions on videos dedicated for analysis tech cuz I don't expect robots to give me pure analysis, plus opinions and personal views are not limited to this game in particular, any game that looks pretty, believe me they will tell you it looks pretty, so it's fair for all games.

Oh, I know, I never said that it was unfair just that it was a bit more extreme in this video than in most other DF videos I'd watched (where I personally also didn't like it but was able to ignore it for the most part).

I'm curious to know your stance about reviews then? If they are opinions and subjective, why do we even care about reading them at all? You know, I actually prefer a tech guy's opinion on something than a so called pro reviewer's to make a purchase decision

First off, reviews are supposed to be subjective and it'd be moronic of me to try and argue that reviews shouldn't feature the reviewer's personal opinion. That being said, I personally don't usually read reviews for games as I tend to find most of them far too lenient and forgiving (you know, the whole "7/10 is a bad score"-BS) but when I do it's often more to get a description of the mechanics, level design, game structure etc. rather than for the reviewer's opinion. Or for comparisons to other games which I have played. Of course, some reviews I also simply consume for their entertainment value (many of Jim Sterling's video reviews, for example).

Gradly

Oh, I know, I never said that it was unfair just that it was a bit more extreme in this video than in most other DF videos I'd watched (where I personally also didn't like it but was able to ignore it for the most part).

Yea but its not their fault if the game is EXTREMELY pretty haha

First off, reviews are supposed to be subjective and it'd be moronic of me to try and argue that reviews shouldn't feature the reviewer's personal opinion. That being said, I personally don't usually read reviews for games as I tend to find most of them far too lenient and forgiving (you know, the whole "7/10 is a bad score"-BS) but when I do it's often more to get a description of the mechanics, level design, game structure etc. rather than for the reviewer's opinion. Or for comparisons to other games which I have played. Of course, some reviews I also simply consume for their entertainment value (many of Jim Sterling's video reviews, for example).

I said it before, I think reviews should be (opinions + responsibility). Opinions alone are what I expect from a random gamer on some random forum, but not from a pro reviewer. And to give you an example, I didn't like Witcher 3 at all and sold it after like 2 hours of playing, if I want to give you a review as a gamer I'd give it 3/10 but If I were to do it as a pro reviewer I'd give it 9/10 or I'd not review it at all.

kyser73

I look forward to your YT video brimful of analysis and nothing else.

Harlequin

I look forward to your YT video brimful of analysis and nothing else.

This idea that you need to be able to do a better job yourself to be allowed to criticise sth is utter nonsense. By that logic, the majority of people on here would never be able to criticise a single video game. Neither would most video game reviewers.

Are we really criticizing a tech analysis because the person making the video injected opinions here and there? Geez. Those opinions have no impact on the facts presented. It's not like saying it's beautiful negates the fact that the water physics/shaders aren't that great, since he stated that. These sorts of videos can add all the opinions they want as long as they also state the facts.

Very rare occasions? DF do it in many of their videos just usually not quite as blatantly as in this one. An analysis is not supposed to be an ad, nor is it supposed to be a review. It shouldn't feature a reporter's personal opinion so heavily but rather concentrate on actual objective facts like (in this context) framerate, frame pacing, resolution, what kind of technologies are being used, bugs or glitches, etc. I cringe a little inside every time they start waxing poetic about how beautiful they think a certain game looks in one of their analysis videos.

Using the phrase "waxing poetic" in a cricism is ironic, as it is inherently self-descriptive.

That said, you know, I love the personal opinion aspect of their videos. The cold tech analysis is great, but given their expertise their opinions bring a lot of perspective to all those facts and figures. When they say a game is gorgeous, I really believe them, as they really aren't easily moved, and have high standards.

It's especially useful in cases like this when I listen to the video, instead of watch, so that I get some of the technical details but avoid small visual spoilers.

I thought GG and Kojima's engine was different hence why Kojima's was called the Decima Engine. That's what he said in an article that had an interview with him recently anyway.

Yes the engine itself was based on GG's (Whatever that was called) but they worked on changing it together and called the new engine Decima?

Death Stranding, using the same engine, has amazing water effects already.

But I'm happy with the trade-off. The game looks superb.

Talking about that trailer as if it were a gameplay demo should be a bannable offense
not really.
I'm excited about Death Stranding but Kojima fanboys are ridiculous.

Gradly

I thought GG and Kojima's engine was different hence why Kojima's was called the Decima Engine. That's what he said in an article that had an interview with him recently anyway.

Yes the engine itself was based on GG's (Whatever that was called) but they worked on changing it together and called the new engine Decima?

Not like that, it's GG engine and called Decima, but Kojima said that Death Stranding game will be different in art style etc and he kinda will add his own changes/enhancements to the engine, and they will share knowledge as well. This was mentioned in a video interview IIRC

Edit: This interview:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nhgwoJ5CYOI

kyser73

This idea that you need to be able to do a better job yourself to be allowed to criticise sth is utter nonsense. By that logic, the majority of people on here would never be able to criticise a single video game. Neither would most video game reviewers.

There's a fundamental difference between criticising a piece of art, and criticising a piece of criticism.

The production of art requires, talent, time and luck. Criticism requires none of these things, merely an opinion and a platform with which to make it - which is why critics rarely produce art themselves.

Micerider

And what makes the difference between two technical analysis? For me, personal touch and this includes opinion. I appreciate that, it's not an academical paper either.

Awesome video with a lot of information.
It's okay to be impressed by the way. Don't mind the people who have it wrong and accuse you of marketing. It's not your fault the game is a technical marvel.
Having said that, we should always be open to criticism. As i think you are. Maybe recommending the game was a bit too much (for some). But i can understand. Especially after watching this vid.

Too bad the foliage doesn't react to characters like it did in Uncharted 4.
And the water sticks out. That just doesn't look and behave as well as the rest.

Voice audio in surround sound is a shame too. But that can be patched, right?

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Just watching that video... holy fucking shit. Unbelievable work they've done here (and I'm not even watching full 4K like I will be when I play the game Tuesday).

Talking about that trailer as if it were a gameplay demo should be a bannable offense
not really.
I'm excited about Death Stranding but Kojima fanboys are ridiculous.

I don't see the problem, really. Horizon is looking so incredible, I'd believe almost anything to be possible on the same engine several years from now.

The DS trailer stands out from HZD because of its art style, not its fidelity.

Inuhanyou

This game def shows we had not hit the ceiling for this generation's graphics potential yet.

It would have looked that good on OG PS4 regardless i feel, it just is enhanced at higher res

Inuhanyou

What do you mean with "would have looked"?

I meant when i posted had there not even been a Pro PS4, the PS4 version would have still blown minds all the same, and really sold the capability of the PS4 base, but in hindsight it does sound dumb cause the base PS4 version is out regardless xD

I meant when i posted had there not even been a Pro PS4, the PS4 version would have still blown minds all the same, and really sold the capability of the PS4 base, but in hindsight it does sound dumb cause the base PS4 version is out regardless xD

Yeah, even the OG PS4 version seems to look stunning and run incredibly well despite looking this damned good.

Top Bottom