• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Best SSD for PS5 2021

truth411

That's the hope. The prices have been trending downwards so l hope that continues.

By Black Friday Next year there will be plenty of options for M.2s fast enough for the PS5 and for real cheap. PCIE 5.0 M.2s will drive Prices of PCIE 4.0 M.2s further down. Heck the inevitable large capacity/cheap QLC PCIE 5.0 M.2 SSD would still be fast enough for the PS5.

In a Year and a half folks will be screaming at Microsoft to cut prices of its SSD looking at the options available for the PS5. But Microsoft cant really cut prices because there solution is proprietary similar to PS Vita storage situation.

Open Market > Proprietary.

Last edited:

By Black Friday Next year there will be plenty of options for M.2s fast enough for the PS5 and for real cheap. PCIE 5.0 M.2s will drive Prices of PCIE 4.0 M.2s further down. Heck the inevitable large capacity/cheap QLC PCIE 5.0 M.2 SSD would still be fast enough for the PS5.

In a Year and a half folks will be screaming at Microsoft to cut prices of its SSD looking at the options available for the PS5. But Microsoft cant really cut prices because there solution is proprietary similar to PS Vita storage situation.

I hated the price of those Vita memory cards. They never went down and were extremely expensive compared to SD cards which is what the 3DS used.

John Wick

I guess. And MS will have their tools ready by then I reckon? 😂 On paper SX is a more powerful machine overall and PS5 has a much faster SSD. In reality all that doesn‘t mean shit as pretty much every DF comparison so far has shown.
What are you going on about??? The PS5 SSD and IO are faster. The Sony games show this. R&C is loading in 2-3 secs.

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
I really don't need the answer to this, but...

If this a thread for owners of the PS5 or potential owners to discuss the best possible M.2 NVME drives for PS5, what's the point of bringing up anything about XSX? (Rhetorical). There is none. there is no point or discussion value add bringing that discussion up just because console _____ has an expansion card. Not everything needs to be some comparison between consoles and what's going on with them. This is for PS5. That's it. PS5.

Don't feed the trolls.

kyliethicc

Exactly. Look at the cost of a Gen3 drive now - like the Samsung 970 Evo is only $80 for 500GB. And that was a really fast Gen3 SSD.

We'll get plenty of "slow" Gen5 drives that will be fast enough for PS5 and prices of fast Gen4 drives will fall. Benefits us all as the users.

Recent games (RE Village and Doom Eternal) load 2x faster on PS5 compared to Series X|S.

I can understand the theory about Sony's marketing deal causing them to do that with RE7 but not Doom Eternal. Sony doesn't have a marketing deal with that title and the developers are owned by Microsoft so I'm sure they did everything they could with the XSXs I/O. Not that I think it's a huge deal but it's something worth pointing out.

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
Exactly. Look at the cost of a Gen3 drive now - like the Samsung 970 Evo is only $80 for 500GB. And that was a really fast Gen3 SSD.

We'll get plenty of "slow" Gen5 drives that will be fast enough for PS5 and prices of fast Gen4 drives will fall. Benefits us all as the users.
Yep. A 2TB will hold up nicely until 4TB are affordable. At that point al affordable 4TB ones should be compatible at around the price of current 2TB prices…. I’m guessing.

I was expecting a video

reading is hard

also, do u have to remove the 600gb one thats in there now and replace it with a 1tb which is really just 900 gb n sum change or can u kept both of them in there?

Last edited:

kyliethicc

I was expecting a video

reading is hard

also, do u have to remove the 600gb one thats in there now and replace it with a 1tb which is really just 900 gb n sum change or can u kept both of them in there?
Yeah go ahead and teardown your whole PS5 and rip out the internal storage right off the motherboard.

Morgan Freeman Good Luck GIF

Gamer79

Predicts the worst decade for Sony starting 2022
PS5 games are getting smaller with the advance compression techniques and what not. There is no way I'm paying $200 just to upgrade my hardrive space. I think I will just play 4 or so games at a time and just delete and redownload games. Seems just cheaper and smarter. Infact with game sizes decreasing you maybe to hold 10 or so games with the 750gb hardrive built in.

PS5 games are getting smaller with the advance compression techniques and what not. There is no way I'm paying $200 just to upgrade my hardrive space. I think I will just play 4 or so games at a time and just delete and redownload games. Seems just cheaper and smarter. Infact with game sizes decreasing you maybe to hold 10 or so games with the 750gb hardrive built in.
I'm hoping Sony releases some official ones that are 100 or less

Yeah re-downloading is not an issue for me, although I have good internet. I do wonder if future games will utilize super high quality textures or worlds that require lots of space. Seems like engines are getting better and more efficient, but who knows.

kyliethicc

I've not done mine yet, but I'm not sure he's done that correctly. There should be a spacer between the drive and the system.
Yeah idk if he nailed it exactly but it gets the idea across.

Sony has detailed instructions here.

KAL2006

Banned
I've said it before I think the best back for your buck is get a cheaper SSD for PS4 games that you attach to the PS5 USB which will free up space. All external games running on SSD run faster than internal. I paid £65 for my 1TB SSD, not a NVME but does the job.

Last edited:
so price wise on par or above the 1TB xbox expansion, all is well in the world and everyone is getting shafted equally.
Yeah sure buddy. Cheapest price I found for the X memory expension was 199€.

Western Digital SN850 1 TB
149,90€

Samsung 980 Pro
183€

Don't know where you get this bullshit from on par and above/getting shafted.

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Have they actually tested that all games run without issue from these, or have they just looked at the spec sheets and thrown up a list?

Shmunter

I hated the price of those Vita memory cards. They never went down and were extremely expensive compared to SD cards which is what the 3DS used.
Some say, that is the reason one thrived and the other died.

Same thing will happen with ps vs Xbox this gen. 😜

Lol, I kid, I kid, settle down, it’s jokes.

Last edited:
Some say, that is the reason one thrived and the other died.

Same thing will happen with ps vs Xbox this gen. 😜

I think for the most part it was the games that did the Vita in. The system had a pretty strong start with software but it quickly fell off a cliff.

As a Vita owner the expansion options was just too expensive compared to that the competition was using.

I personally like the PS5s expansion better due to the options that it offers. But I do admit the really technically ignorant people will struggle with it.

twilo99

Sony has listed that 5.5GB/s is recommended. Alot of us thought it was gonna be 7GB/s. Either something changed or we were all wrong.

No drive in the OP is 5.5GB/s. They are all 7GB/s.

You can go lower than 5.5GB/s and still be fine and save a lot of money in the process

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
You can go lower than 5.5GB/s and still be fine and save a lot of money in the process
Is the based on the Verge article, or the Insomniac dev tweet....

Because one of them says otherwise.

Last edited:

twilo99

Is the based on the Verge article, or the Insomniac dev tweet....

Because one of them says otherwise.

Easy fix, just get two drives and test it yourself...

or just wait a few weeks for someone else other than the verge to test them all out.

Mr Moose

I was reading some more impressions on the other forum and the one below seems to be the best deal in terms of performance and price for now:

Gigabyte Aorus NVMe Gen 4 7000S
£189.99 on Amazon UK, nice.
£183.98 on Scan (no free delivery? wtf).

Last edited:
Easy fix, just get two drives and test it yourself...

or just wait a few weeks for someone else other than the verge to test them all out.

Pretty sure Ratchet is going to be used as a benchmark in many of these tests. I'm very curious to see what stress points Insomniac was making a reference to.

twilo99

Pretty sure Ratchet is going to be used as a benchmark in many of these tests. I'm very curious to see what stress points Insomniac was making a reference to.

Right, I don't think there is any other game our right now that requires 5.5GB/s + to function properly. Once "next gen" games come out there will be more games to test this on.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
How much is it for 8TB of good speed SSDs?

For SATA SSD with 560MB/s speed: ($732)

PCIe 3.0 NVMe m.2 SSD 3.3GB/s: ($1400)

3.5GB/s ($1450):

3.4GB/s ($1150):

----------

Aiming for 8TB SATA SSD from Samsung myself for my PC for 11TB total.

Last edited:

Kuranghi

Thats a fuckton of money Bo, even if I had all your gold I wouldn't buy them, I can see how you'd want it for your work though ofc.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Thats a fuckton of money Bo, even if I had all your gold I wouldn't buy them, I can see how you'd want it for your work though ofc.

Got my first ad through at a humble 300 OMR (561 pounds / $780), hope this is a good beginning for my new side business. SATA3 is fast enough for 4K storage (my main storage is 1TB NVMe m.2 3.5GB/s), but HDD is floppy disk to me now and won't touch that filth again.

Also I'm not buying an extra storage for PS5 anyway, don't need that. But I had to buy this 160GB CFexpress Type-A for $400 for full access to all the camera's perks:

sony_160gb_cfexpress_type_a_1595931654_1578712.jpg

Might buy another one later, although don't seem to be needing one but good for backup to have them both in sync just in case.

Last edited:

S0ULZB0URNE

I can see Sony putting a works on PS5 seal on SSD's that work...BUT AT A COST!
These companies(who want this seal) will pay and pass off this fee on the consumer which could drive the prices up.

So it might be good to get one sooner rather than later.

ethomaz

Banned
Guys,

What do you think; I can get a deal for WD Black SN850 2TB for €300 (without a heatsink)
I'm not sure about currency conversion but if it was dollars $150 per TB is a great deal.
You can buy a $10 heatshink so I do not recommend to buy a SSD with heatsink included (it is way expensive in the bundle).

Last edited:

PSFan

So what's a good heatsink to buy to go with a Samsung 980? I'm thinking of getting the 2TB for when the firmware update goes live.

Kenpachii

I got samsung for my PC multiple versions of it and frankly they work great. will never change brands.

Last edited:

Hezekiah

Banned
Just seen the 2tb 980 Pro for £233. Anybody know of a good heatsink for it as the official one isnt available?

Last edited:
Top Bottom