• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Digital Foundry] Inside PSVR2 - Horizon: Call of the Mountain Gameplay + Tech Breakdown

Lunatic_Gamer

Gold Member

We've delivered our verdict on the PlayStation VR2 hardware - and now it's time to play some games! Horizon: Call of the Mountain is a great VR experience for first-timers, but not exactly a killer app. That said, it's fascinating to see Sony's first-party exclusive in action and to see how Unreal Engine 4 delivers the experience. In this video, John Linneman's in the headset, with additional commentary from Alex Battaglia.

Its been said that this game feels like a Vr experience crafted for first time VR users who skipped the PSVR1. Its lacks the full locomotion control you would expect from a big title, but it still has that graphic fidelity you would expect from a AAA game. You got to have something to ease people in.

Bojji

They have probably the best console engine - Decima (before UE5 becomes common) but decide to use UE4 instead? 🤔

It's definitely impressive. Looks quite soft in the vr 2 headset as do most of the games. It seems to have some weird stutter and image retention going on too. The sense of scale is great but personally, I've been more impressed with kayak mirage.

FingerBang

This is the only game I played on the PSVR2 for now and it's been disappointing. It's not a bad game, but it's really nothing new. It's a climbing simulator + some bow and arrow fighting. The graphics haven't really blown my mind either, though the sense of scale is there.

Ivan

This looks like a terrible experience IMO. It took a minute to remind me why I have no interest in VR at all.

I guess it could be interesting to a young audience that still has that sense of wonder about all things, but to me it is just stupid.

Just look at John doing all that stuff, man...

ChiefDada

Gold Member
This looks like a terrible experience IMO. It took a minute to remind me why I have no interest in VR at all.

I guess it could be interesting to a young audience that still has that sense of wonder about all things, but to me it is just stupid.

Season 6 Vr GIF by Warner Archive
Happy Big Brother GIF by MOODMAN

XXL

I only played the opening a few mins after that, but my God the intro looks amazing.

Videos don't even come close to doing it justice.

Reactions: TLZ

XXL

It's definitely impressive. Looks quite soft in the vr 2 headset as do most of the games. It seems to have some weird stutter and image retention going on too. The sense of scale is great but personally, I've been more impressed with kayak mirage.
Yes, Kayak VR is the most photo realistic looking game on PSVR 2 and honestly one of the best looking games in general. The Jungle at Night is something EVERYONE should expierence. Blew my mind.

Raonak

Banned
Watching DF nerding out about technical details while inside the game is hilarious.

Even though it's not the most impressive game in PSVR2's lineup, it's great to have a real 8 hour story game to play.

The first game I played was Call of the mountain and had instant regret on getting the PSVR 2. Then I played GT7 and the feeling of regret went away instantly, it’s the best game I’ve played so far in VR and I have a Quest 2.

I like that you can also play the game with the dualsense so you don’t have to do all those weird gestures. Gaming on the PSVR2 is also significantly smoother than the Quest 2, Sony really might be on to something with the PSVR2.

Last edited:

CamHostage

To some extent, engines can have vr support or vr-friendliness built in. Decima might lack that.

Then there is learning curve. If firesprite knows unreal and learning decima would have slowed them down, that's a significant consideration.

Agreed on all your points, but to complicate the equation, Decima was used on a couple PSVR1 games.

Guerrila Cambridge used it for Rigs. Also, the rollercoaster horror VR game Until Dawn: Rush of Blood was made on Decima. (For Dark Picture Anthology and The Quarry, Supermassive instead uses Unreal, and I assume the spiritual successor PSVR2 rollercoaster VR game Dark Pictures: Switchback will be UE as well?)

So, it's a different VR platform, but the work from back them on PSVR1 would I assume be a base to support PSVR2 development if Guerilla or a company used it for that. Which, so far, is not known to be happening, but I'd personally like to see how it'd work out if a VR game does come out of Decima or a Decima game/content pack gets modded with PSVR2 support...

(*Back on your original point though, developer Firesprite Games' calling card VR title The Persistence was made for VR in Unreal, and I assume Air Force Special Ops Nightfall might have been too?)

Last edited:

Crayon

Agreed on all your points, but to complicate the equation, Decima was used on a couple PSVR1 games.

Guerrila Cambridge used it for Rigs. Also, the rollercoaster horror VR game Until Dawn: Rush of Blood was made on Decima. (For Dark Picture Anthology and The Quarry, Supermassive instead uses Unreal, and I assume the spiritual successor PSVR2 rollercoaster VR game Dark Pictures: Switchback will be UE as well?)

So, it's a different VR platform, but the work from back them on PSVR1 would I assume be a base to support PSVR2 development if Guerilla or a company used it for that. Which, so far, is not known to be happening, but I'd personally like to see how it'd work out if a VR game does come out of Decima or a Decima game/content pack gets modded with PSVR2 support...

Oh so there we go. VR games on decima years ago. Maybe we'll get an interview or something some day to shed some light on it.

Damn rigs looked pretty good for a vr game running on ps4. Like wipeout.

Mr.Phoenix

What you are seeing on the feed is not what John is seeing in the headset. The social screen is at 30fps, the headset is at 60-120fps. Also, the headset uses foveated rendering, John showed that off when he was looking at both sense controllers in the game, so at any point in time, if you are looking at anything on the social screen other than what John is looking at with his eyes, you will be seeing a blurrier image.

I think VR, like everything else, is not for everyone. I also believe that not all VR games need to or will be that physically exertive. Eg, my interest in VR has nothing to do with games where I have to be flaying my hands around to do everything. I want cockpit experiences, like GT7, an Acecombat game, and something like Wipeout in VR. And even when playing a VR FPS type game, I would prefer if the headset just replaces what I would have been doing with the right stick and the left stick just handles movement.

Last edited:
What you are seeing on the feed is not what John is seeing in the headset. The social screen is at 30fps, the headset is at 60-120fps. Also, the headset uses foveated rendering, John showed that off when he was looking at both sense controllers in the game, so at any point in time, if you are looking at anything on the social screen other than what John is looking at with his eyes, you will be seeing a blurrier image.

I think VR, like everything else, is not for everyone. I also believe that not all VR games need to or will be that physically exertive. Eg, my interest in VR has nothing to do with games where I have to be flaying my hands around to do everything. I want cockpit experiences, like GT7, an Acecombat game, and something like Wipeout in VR. And even when playing a VR FPS type game, I would prefer if the headset just replaces what I would have been doing with the right stick and the left stick just handles movement.
That's great but I'm talking about what I can see in my own headset.

Top Bottom