• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Inside The New Forza Motorsport: Turn 10's Radical Technology Revamp

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

In development for six years, the new Forza Motorsport for Xbox Series consoles and PCs features a complete revamp of the game's core technology. In an extended interview conducted remotely by John Linneman, the Turn 10 team go into depth on the technology behind the series reboot, covering tracks, vehicles, simulation, ray tracing, the various performance modes and much more.

00:00 - Introduction
00:51 - Why did Forza Motorsport Require Six Years to Build?
04:26 - Rendering Modes on Xbox Series X|S
06:32 - Switching from MSAA to TAA
09:13 - Why did the team choose to ship on next-gen only?
11:30 - Let's talk ray tracing
16:16 - The new sky system
19:03 - The new post-processing stack
19:58 - Advanced tire and physics simulation
21:37 - How do you make a track in Forza Motorsport?
24:37 - Trees and Crowds
27:22 - New shaders galore
29:53 - How the team handles materials
32:40 - How do they approach updating cars from prior games?
33:54 - DirectStorage
34:52 - The wrap-up

Last edited:

adamsapple

LuCrIRr.jpg

TBvre7k.jpg

Turk1993 Turk1993

relevant info that we were talking about in an earlier topic.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Some other relevant points from the video.

- PC version allows unlocked frame rate
- No longer relying on MSAA on console, moved onto TAA.
- PC version supports FSR and DLSS (no mention of XeSS)
- The decision to make the game not cross-gen was done very early in the prototype phase (5~ years ago)
- Real time RT in game play on SX includes RTAO and RT Reflections in both RT modes (RT Perf. and Quality)
- Turn 10 used visual techniques Play Ground games used in the Horizon series

- The game also uses a new sky/cloud system. Procedural methods applied for clouds/fogging/wind.
- Results in dynamic time of day on track which can 'drastically' change lighting etc in real time
- Post processing stack has been completely renewed from the previous games.

- New physics / tire models required the tracks to be rebuilt to accommodate it.
- 3D crowd / off-track environment detail created with help from Playground games

Last edited:

Elysium44

Banned
interesting to note in the video, they admit they stole the GI system Playground made for Horizon and we all know how good that looks.

Serious question for someone like me who owns FH5 on a PC with an RTX card, what is the difference?

The game looks fantastic by default but with RT on I literally can't tell the difference on my machine and nor can people in the comments to that comparison.

Last edited:

CeeJay

It was interesting to see some of the tools they have developed for testing the performance around the track. T10 have been top tier with their consistent performance in their games and it was cool to get a peek behind the curtain to see how they achieve that. It mentions in the video how the whole team are focussed on performance first whether that be environment artists or engineers, that culture within the studio really makes a difference to the end result.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
Serious question for someone like me who owns FH5 on a PC with an RTX card, what is the difference?

The game looks fantastic by default but with RT on I literally can't tell the difference on my machine and nor can people in the comments to that comparison.

You won't be able to tell at that distance. It's a fast moving cars and the reflections are changing every millisecond. If you do stop and take a closer look at the reflections, you will be able to tell the differences. There are things like self reflections that don't show up in non-RT mode but that's basically impossible to see while racing.

adamsapple

The RT in FH5 is just reflections, if I'm not mistaken.

They are talking about taking things from the GI system.

Different things.

CeeJay

So his direct storage answer pretty much explains my question about Starfield that's interesting it seems to be CPU heavy
It sounds like they still have some work to do with getting the loading speeds better from what the developer was saying which does worry me a little. Long loading times of the tracks has been something that's plagued FM forever. FM5 was ridiculous with how long it took and even more so when racing online multiplayer, the waiting times in between races was glacial to the point it felt like 50% of the gaming session. Seeing how SeriesX has all but eliminated lengthy loading times in other games I hope T10 have taken full advantage.

Darsxx82

interesting to note in the video, they admit they stole the GI system Playground made for Horizon and we all know how good that looks.
And not only its GI system, also the recreation of the vegetation, climate system and also RT optimization. PG was the best partner that T10 could find both in terms of technology, innovation and maintaining/promoting the FORZA franchise in a position of relevance and success in the genre after a couple of FMs that did not meet the franchise's standards of excellence in previous releases.

Needless to say, expectations for an FH 6 (although my dream is for PG to bring back the PGR franchise) are very high.

Chukhopops

It sounds like they still have some work to do with getting the loading speeds better from what the developer was saying which does worry me a little. Long loading times of the tracks has been something that's plagued FM forever. FM5 was ridiculous with how long it took and even more so when racing online multiplayer, the waiting times in between races was glacial to the point it felt like 50% of the gaming session. Seeing how SeriesX has all but eliminated lengthy loading times in other games I hope T10 have taken full advantage.
I would be surprised if the load times weren’t drastically improved compared to previous FM games considering the SSD vs HDD situation.

FH5 load times for race/fast travel are mere seconds long at worst on XSX.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life

Reflections on FH5 are only the player car reflecting itself. It's very meh.

Last edited:

CeeJay

I would be surprised if the load times weren’t drastically improved compared to previous FM games considering the SSD vs HDD situation.

FH5 load times for race/fast travel are mere seconds long at worst on XSX.
Yes they should be considering the tech but the devs answer to the question seemed to indicate he wasn't 100% happy with the load times.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
27:40 the car needs some polish. This effect is called "orange skin" if they f up touch up job lol

RoboFu

One of the green rats
They really didn’t say … just some vague gibberish about direct storage , but If the load times are as bad as 7 then I’ll pass.

Last edited:

ShakenG

Everything looks great but the cars stand out in a very bad way. I dont know what it is, the reflections or the paint not reacting to the sunlight. They look off. Otherwise, the performance looks very solid. Some other nitpicks but id rather see it on release first.

Top Bottom