• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Inside The New Forza Motorsport: Turn 10's Radical Technology Revamp

JimboJones

jim-ryan-ps4.gif
Is that gif sponsored by AMD/FSR2? The ghosting is terrible.

Elysium44

Banned
You have literally paused it to pixel peep! I agree the new game looks better, of course - but IN MOTION the trees in FM7 were no big deal imo. I mean you are looking at the road and the other cars aren't you, while racing - not the trees which you only see out of the corner of your eyes. They were 'good enough' and keeping them simple allowed for more of the Xbox's horsepower to go on more important things. Look you've got me defending Turn 10 here :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

Turk1993

GAFs #1 source for car graphic comparisons
You have literally paused it to pixel peep! I agree the new game looks better, of course - but IN MOTION the trees in FM7 were no big deal imo. I mean you are looking at the road and the other cars aren't you, while racing - not the trees which you only see out of the corner of your eyes. They were 'good enough' and keeping them simple allowed for more of the Xbox's horsepower to go on more important things.
I do notice it quite easily and in 4K its even worse.

Look you've got me defending Turn 10 here :messenger_tears_of_joy:

:messenger_tears_of_joy: 🤷‍♂️

Elysium44

Banned
Did you ever look at the spectators close up in the Xbox One Forza games? They looked like something out of a PS2 game practically but unless you actually paused it and zoomed in, you'd never see.

Anyway yes the trees look a lot better in the new game and I am looking forward to playing it :messenger_ok:

Last edited:
Just had a thought, given how good Forza Tech is and the fact that the new Fable is powered by it making it more than just a racing graphics engine, is it possible this could be the go to engine for Xbox Studios? Not talking about ID and Bethesda etc or the Studios who are massively invested in Unreal. For instance 343 could make the switch from the awful Slipspace engine.

sinnergy

Just had a thought, given how good Forza Tech is and the fact that the new Fable is powered by it making it more than just a racing graphics engine, is it possible this could be the go to engine for Xbox Studios? Not talking about ID and Bethesda etc or the Studios who are massively invested in Unreal. For instance 343 could make the switch from the awful Slipspace engine.
Don’t know .. but they make racing games with UE5 now 🤣

Kakax11

Banned
These guys are low key dominating the racing genre, they make them so quick and they sell so good too !!!

Since forever

pasterpl

Isn’t ID using ID Tech? Their own engine. Same with Bethesda, they have got creation engine.

LostDonkey

I know some will consider this nitpicking, but the lack of self shadowing on car really sticks out to me (see the lack of spoiler shadow on the trunk in the image below). This doesn't look too hot...

Maybe just a night time bug because I'm sure it's there in the daytime footage.

Turk1993

GAFs #1 source for car graphic comparisons
I know some will consider this nitpicking, but the lack of self shadowing on car really sticks out to me (see the lack of spoiler shadow on the trunk in the image below). This doesn't look too hot...

Its not nitpicking, you have a good point. The cars have definitely self shadowing as seen in other video's with different tod and DF breakdown. But for some weird reason its disabled for track lights on that track in night setting. Maybe its a bug like LostDonkey said it or maybe its disabled for track lights and only works with the sunlight.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life

But there is shadow on the right side of the bumper.

Riky

$MSFT
When you look at comparison videos with Forza 7 the lighting model is an absolutely huge upgrade, very impressive.

clarky

Gold Member
When you look at comparison videos with Forza 7 the lighting model is an absolutely huge upgrade, very impressive.
Love your enthusiasm Ricky pal but im absolutely convinced at this point you are an AI bot.

Any moment now your going to go full Microsoft skynet on us, go back in time kill Donkey Kong and make sure Mario never happened.

Riky

$MSFT
Love your enthusiasm Ricky pal but im absolutely convinced at this point you are an AI bot.

Any moment now your going to go full Microsoft skynet on us, go back in time kill Donkey Kong and make sure Mario never happened.

If you're triggered by me being excited about something, I suggest the ignore function rather than derailing threads.

clarky

Gold Member
If you're triggered by me being excited about something, I suggest the ignore function rather than derailing threads.
You misinterpret me my friend all good. Very excited to check out what turn ten have cooked up as well.

Just a little joke about your unwavering positivity. Love it.

Back on topic have this preloaded ready to go but still knee deep in starfield so wont be taking the early access option.

Riky

$MSFT
You misinterpret me my friend all good. Very excited to check out what turn ten have cooked up as well.

Just a little joke about your unwavering positivity. Love it.

Back on topic have this preloaded ready to go but still knee deep in starfield so wont be taking the early access option.

Sorry, get a lot of hate around here as you've probably noticed 😂

Yeah Starfield is life consuming but I think Forza will be a nice balance to it. Getting early access as I'm holiday abroad for the launch so I want to get a few days in before I go.

clarky

Gold Member
Sorry, get a lot of hate around here as you've probably noticed 😂

Yeah Starfield is life consuming but I think Forza will be a nice balance to it. Getting early access as I'm holiday abroad for the launch so I want to get a few days in before I go.
Did the same with Starfield, suited me as i had a week spare before the actual "launch" so it was worth 30 quid. Enjoy I'm sure turn10 will deliver.

Top Bottom