• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Forza Motorsport Hands-On: Xbox Series X/Series S First Impressions

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
No RT in a first party series s version is not a good look. Especially when the latest leaks show the vast majority of xbox owners are s owners. Not going to put this one on the devs seeing as how the XSX version drops to 1440p with ray tracing.
More of MS fault for not making a digital Series X earlier instead of a Series S, Turn 10 simply had to make the most of the shitty hardware the S had.

nikos

It's clearly started in the name of both the thread and the video that this is a video about the graphics of the console version. If you don't care, then don't click.

Digital Foundry: Forza Motorsport Hands-On: Xbox Series X/Series S First Impressions

Where does that say anything about graphics other than making the assumption because it's a Digital Foundry video?

Daneel Elijah

Gold Member
It Is not, But it is clear that misinformation on this issue has been a success.
If that misinformation was a real problem for Microsoft, they can easily fix it by telling us the real split between S and X consoles. 50/50, 60/40 or 75/25, does it matter that much to you? It should be normal that the cheaper console sells more than the premium version, don't you agree? As for the game, I hope that they reveal something like Sophy is for GT7. AI can do a lot for games and Microsoft is well placed in that area. I hope that they show some of that expertise on gaming.

Thirty7ven

Banned
It Is not, But it is clear that misinformation on this issue has been a success.

Or maybe you’re mixing 2023 YTD sales with lifetime sales?

If there was a big discrepancy last year, how could the Series X have leveled the playing field so much in just one year? Did the series S stop selling? It was the top selling Series in the UK just recently.

Off topic anyway

Last edited:

sinnergy

If that misinformation was a real problem for Microsoft, they can easily fix it by telling us the real split between S and X consoles. 50/50, 60/40 or 75/25, does it matter that much to you? It should be normal that the cheaper console sells more than the premium version, don't you agree? As for the game, I hope that they reveal something like Sophy is for GT7. AI can do a lot for games and Microsoft is well placed in that area. I hope that they show some of that expertise on gaming.
Why do you care ? People knew what they got for 300 - 350 euro , it wouldn’t be the premium experience.. but run next-gen games cheap with most visuals intact .

Last edited:

Daneel Elijah

Gold Member
Why do you care ? People knew what they got for 300 - 350 euro , it wouldn’t be the premium experience.. but run next-gen games cheap with most visuals intact .
Why would I not care? We are in a gaming forum after all. As you have quoted me, I will try to ask you the same question. Would you prefer that Xbox tells us the real split? Or that they stay silent and allow for "misinformation" to become fact? Not saying that 75/25 is the real split by the way. Just that with the lack of info we take what we can.

DanielG165

I think the fact that we’re getting pretty good RT and RTAO here, and RT in Spider-Man 2, on two separate consoles that aren’t inherently good at RT, is a solid win all around. I honestly wasn’t expecting that we’d see the level of ray tracing during gameplay in Forza that we’re getting on console (or the SX, specifically), so that’s a really nice surprise for me.

I think this just shows what the hardware can do when developers really squeeze the most out of it, and that goes for the PS5 also. I’ll be playing FM on PC and taking full advantage of those RT cores, but the XSX is making an impressive showing here, as is the SS for what it is.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I think the fact that we’re getting pretty good RT and RTAO here, and RT in Spider-Man 2, on two separate consoles that aren’t inherently good at RT, is a solid win all around. I honestly wasn’t expecting that we’d see the level of ray tracing during gameplay in Forza that we’re getting on console (or the SX, specifically), so that’s a really nice surprise for me.

That's the benefit of if the game is developed with RT in mind instead of adding via a patch or late in development.

Darsxx82

Or maybe you’re mixing 2023 YTD sales with lifetime sales?

If there was a big discrepancy last year, how could the Series X have leveled the playing field so much in just one year? Did the series S stop selling? It was the top selling Series in the UK just recently.

Off topic anyway
No I'm not. It is the one who confuses the period of Q2 April 2022 with LTD sales. In that specific period there was a shortage of XSX stock that produced that difference, not that sales have had that percentage during these 3 years.

I already gave you the evidence in the other thread but, to no one's surprise, you don't feel like accepting it.

The NPD (Matt Pisciella) data says the % is ~50-50 in USA LTD. Those same % have been seen in Japan every week . It is naive to believe that the rest of the world sales have been 10-90 in favor of XSX. Also, USA Is 60% XSeries total sales..

But OK, let's pretend that whoever gives the data in the US is wrong.🤗
MS would not be interested in giving the data as any confirmation not interesting to them. If you say that XSS sells too much vs XSX it gives a negative message towards the latter. If the negative message says otherwise that no one wants XSS and your strategy is a failure...

Whether it's 50-50, 60-40 or 25-75 doesn't really matter. But I think it is important not to draw conclusions if the information is not correct. And here conclusions are being drawn and assessments made without having information with complete certainty.

Then, for the purposes of penalties when the Studios optimize better or worse on XSeries consoles?, the % does not matter. In this, it matters more that PS5 is the console with the largest user base by far and normally it will be a base platform or one that has extra polish.

A Studios is not going to optimize the XSX version better based on whether the percentage is 25-75 or 60-40.

DR3AM

In the first tech interview Turn 10 specifically said that they are aiming for having the game look great while actually driving. So I wonder if still shots dont look as good.

Daneel Elijah

Gold Member
No I'm not. It is the one who confuses the period of Q2 April 2022 with LTD sales. In that specific period there was a shortage of XSX stock that produced that difference, not that sales have had that percentage during these 3 years.

I already gave you the evidence in the other thread but, to no one's surprise, you don't feel like accepting it.

The NPD (Matt Pisciella) data says the % is ~50-50 in USA LTD. Those same % have been seen in Japan every week . It is naive to believe that the rest of the world sales have been 10-90 in favor of XSX. Also, USA Is 60% XSeries total sales..

But OK, let's pretend that whoever gives the data in the US is wrong.🤗

MS would not be interested in giving the data as any confirmation not interesting to them. If you say that XSS sells too much vs XSX it gives a negative message towards the latter. If the negative message says otherwise that no one wants XSS and your strategy is a failure...

Whether it's 50-50, 60-40 or 25-75 doesn't really matter. But I think it is important not to draw conclusions if the information is not correct. And here conclusions are being drawn and assessments made without having information with complete certainty.

Then, for the purposes of penalties when the Studios optimize better or worse on XSeries consoles?, the % does not matter. In this, it matters more that PS5 is the console with the largest user base by far and normally it will be a base platform or one that has extra polish.

A Studios is not going to optimize the XSX version better based on whether the percentage is 25-75 or 60-40.
True, but it is one consequence of their choice of taking the S/X strategy. I do agree with the part about not drawing conclusions. If you had answered that to SlimySnake SlimySnake I would not have quoted you and let it go. Misinformation is a strong word for a poster that is not IMHO talking in bad faith against Xbox in this thread.

I do agree that the PS5/XBOX split matters more than the S/X split when we talk about optimisation. But here the game is a Xbox exclusive so the PS5 should not be in the discussion. As long as the game is good the details will just be that. Details.

eNT1TY

RTAO grounds the visuals more than rt reflections do imo when available in games and the implementation here looks good from what i could acertain from the video.

sinnergy

Why would I not care? We are in a gaming forum after all. As you have quoted me, I will try to ask you the same question. Would you prefer that Xbox tells us the real split? Or that they stay silent and allow for "misinformation" to become fact? Not saying that 75/25 is the real split by the way. Just that with the lack of info we take what we can.
To be perfectly honest, i don’t care, they can be silent as far as I am concerned. I am a gaming enthusiast, I browse a gaming enthusiast message board and I buy premium consoles . I play the premium versions . Others play the Series S version , they knew that, what they were buying .

Last edited:

FlyyGOD

To be perfectly honest, i don’t care, they can be silent as far as I am concerned. I am a gaming enthusiast, I browse a gaming enthusiast message board and I buy premium consoles . I play the premium versions . Others play the Series S version , they knew that, what they were buying .
Mostly causals who don't frequent gaming sites bought a series s. They have no idea what 4k resolution looks like or what raytracing is. I doubt they care as long as they can play the newest games that come out.

1440p + TAA. What the hell T10. Hurting IQ just to say they were able to get RT ingame, what a shame.

Good that John mentioned the car models as a downside. It's very clear that GT7 is way ahead in this regard. Also the Series S version looks so blurry damn.

At least (on the X) some of the environments look pretty good.

Last edited:

Senua

Indeed, there are three modes right? I think I'd choose no RT+4K. But I'm sure car models and overall textures etc are the same between game modes.
Yea probably, textures being lower res than FM7 is odd and hopefully not that case maxed on PC. Car models are kinda stuck the way they are I guess until T10 feel the need to update them. We'll still get that abysmal R32 model I know it!

FlyyGOD

1440p + TAA. What the hell T10. Hurting IQ just to say they were able to get RT ingame, what a shame.

Good that John mentioned the car models as a downside. It's very clear that GT7 is way ahead in this regard. Also the Series S version looks so blurry damn.

At least (on the X) some of the environments look pretty good.
You know there is a mode without raytracing that's full 4k.

Neo_game

I prefer realistic look rather than the artistic direction they have taken. The video also said the game can drop to 1440P in performance mode. I think they should have gone with 1440P 60fps game which seems to be sweet spot for gfx and performance. 1440P RT mode is useless IMO that too with their hybrid reflection. Cube caps updating at 30fps and some reflection does not even look good, may be it is a bug and will be fixed before launch.

mrMUR_96

The TAA doesn't look that great, why would they base it of the halo implmentation lol. Also, forza horizon 5 has way better terrain, vegetation and ground detail etc, why wouldn't they make use of that tech?

Zoloft

Banned
The graphics do not look that impressive to me like the ones in FH5, the environment looks flat and lacks something
I kinda like GT sports graphics more, but am sure Forza will be a great game.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
No RT in a first party series s version is not a good look. Especially when the latest leaks show the vast majority of xbox owners are s owners. Not going to put this one on the devs seeing as how the XSX version drops to 1440p with ray tracing.
You should definitely blame this on devs, at least partially, as they did promise ray-tracing on Series S. But ultimately, it proved to be just another lie.

The other half of the blame should be on the Xbox department, leadership, and the HW team for making it so difficult for devs to keep their promises.

hUNmvyw.png
wKZqJ4l.png
JmKdulS.png
ke9ty9U.jpg

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
T10 have always been guilty of overhype, but this one is bad
Yep, especially when it could influence a buyer's console purchase decision.

People here are blaming Xbox Series S customers, like "they should have known what to expect from a $300 console," but that is so unfair, when they were just going by the information promised to them by official sources.

DanielG165

I think the FM and GT comparisons this time will be pretty interesting, as both have their respective strengths. GT looks like it has slightly better RT on the cars compared to Forza (at least in the current build), but the latter has RT both in game and in the garage/Forzavista. And, will the PC version of FM push it significantly over the edge? That remains to be seen.

Top Bottom