• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Digital Foundry] Watch Dogs Legion: PlayStation 5 vs Xbox Series X|S - Graphics, Performance, Ray Tracing!

Why dose the xsx not have a higher resolution, there has to be bottleneck, tools cant be this bad. Are xbox fans not upset about this, imagine ps5 was performing like a 8tf console, i would be very upset with sony.

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
nyw80Ue.gif
Not really. Just lots of willy waggling posts and reach arounds

It got boring two weeks ago.

waquzy

Hey I'm with you.

The PS5 is the way better machine right now: loading, controller, good exclusives now, amazing exclusives over the next year.

I don't really get why anyone would choose an Xbox tbh, unless they can only afford an S.

But whatever, each to their own. They're obviously both gonna be great machines eventually.

I got both the PS5 and XSX, both are amazing consoles imo. Currently I'm enjoying GTA IV at 60fps on XSX as it is one of my favorite games of all time.

Riky

$MSFT
You pea brained insect. I have witnessed you turn every thread into a shit show with your petulant attitude. You don't need to be triggered by someone saying PS5 version is superior. Yes the lower texture filtering makes the Series X version slightly inferior because textures get muddier at closer distance than PS5 version and you can see that easily as it affect most textures at a given distance and especially when viewed at an angle which is every gameplay moment.

Texture Filtering Quality >>>>>>>> Missing puddles in RT reflection on a glass.

Both appear to be bugs that can easily be patched to bring them on par.

For example if you don't know how important texture filtering is.

dirt-5-ps5-playstation-5-2.original.jpg

dirt5-1.png

They are both bugs, don't get so angry😅

I prefer puddles myself.

No puddles INSIDE reflections? That's a really weird one. Must be a bug. Also, xbox having worse anisotropic filtering? Isn't that effect just about the least intensive graphical setting in games? I never understood why so many last gen games had shitty AF.

Edit: Didn't an earlier DF video also show that the new gen consoles also have really limited reflection range? Sounds like they're just an all around much bag.

Last edited:

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
You pea brained insect. I have witnessed you turn every thread into a shit show with your petulant attitude. You don't need to be triggered by someone saying PS5 version is superior. Yes the lower texture filtering makes the Series X version slightly inferior because textures get muddier at closer distance than PS5 version and you can see that easily as it affect most textures at a given distance and especially when viewed at an angle which is every gameplay moment.

Texture Filtering Quality >>>>>>>> Missing puddles in RT reflection on a glass.

Both appear to be bugs that can easily be patched to bring them on par.

For example if you don't know how important texture filtering is.

dirt-5-ps5-playstation-5-2.original.jpg

dirt5-1.png

rgGmSra.gif

Last edited:

onQ123

No puddles INSIDE reflections? That's a really weird one. Must be a bug. Also, xbox having worse anisotropic filtering? Isn't that effect just about the least intensive graphical setting in games? I never understood why so many last gen games had shitty AF.

Edit: Didn't an earlier DF video also show that the new gen consoles also have really limited reflection range? Sounds like they're just an all around much bag.

It's bandwidth limited

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Means the reflections are not ray traced for this 'bug'.

My twitter favorite has some addition info but it should be stated DF is dropping The ball here, no bug.

@astaranx: Not only the puddle but also the windows 🪟, on #PS5 is grey white like a mere texture, on #SeriesS and #SeriesX, it looks like a real window 🪟

Joined Sunday.

You guys make it too easy. lol New accounts + posting tweets from known Xbox fanboys. Ok, PS5 has worse ray tracing and XsX can barely handle texture filtering.

Mr Moose

You guys notice his parting shot about how he wonders why the more powerful xbox isn’t using that power when it’s like for like graphics with PS5? What a douchebag.
And says this:
and I noted that general gameplay shifts between 80 to 100 per cent of full 4K, with nigh-on identical shifts in resolution on both consoles in the same situations.
Since it's dynamic, it is using that power.

You guys notice his parting shot about how he wonders why the more powerful xbox isn’t using that power when it’s like for like graphics with PS5? What a douchebag.
Why is he a douchebag, going by official numbers a 12.1 tf console should show better performance than a 10.2 tf console. Its only natural that a person in his position doing that job might wonder why that is the case, just natural curiosity.
People need to stop being so touchy about these things its not life or death or insulting your family if someone makes a comment like that.

M_A_C

Why is he a douchebag, going by official numbers a 12.1 tf console should show better performance than a 10.2 tf console. Its only natural that a person in his position doing that job might wonder why that is the case, just natural curiosity.
People need to stop being so touchy about these things its not life or death or insulting your family if someone makes a comment like that.
How many times do xbox fans need to be told that TF #’s don’t mean anything?

Unless devs get incentives to extract the extra power out of SX why would they waste the resources? #parity

Depends on how noticeable the power difference is. It could be that developers don't see any real differences between the two so they won't go through the extra mile of optimizations just to make the XSX version look a tiny bit better than the PS5 version.

Handy Fake

I bet if it was PS5 exclusive it would be the shit ! Like Godfall? Did anyone buy that game ?
Not at all. Godfall didn't really interest me either bar the looty bit, because I am a huge loot whore.
Quite frankly I'm just not a big Ubi/COD etc. fan? The technical bits interest me as the new console architecture is fascinating but beyond that there's nothing really caught my attention yet?
Apart from graphics-wise of course but again that's from somebody who started gaming on an Acorn Electron who is just flabbergasted by technology. :D

So much for those extra compute units, can't even run at a higher resolution than the PS5 version given the dynamic resolution scaling. The game seems well optimized too, so maybe this is more proof that the gap was never going to be much of a thing in real world performance.

Yet another basic tie and Playstation fanatics run to the hills screaming that the Xbox series X has "performance" issues, or that parity is somehow a "win" for Sony. Last I checked the machines actually sell for the same price. (you can't count a digital machine that literally has zero stock)

Parity is a loss in terms of perception given Microsoft's marketing of "The World's Most Powerful Console".

ethomaz

Banned
Yet another basic tie and Playstation fanatics run to the hills screaming that the Xbox series X has "performance" issues, or that parity is somehow a "win" for Sony. Last I checked the machines actually sell for the same price. (you can't count a digital machine that literally has zero stock)
That narrative was created by MS and own Xbox fans.

BTW PS5 has a $100 cheaper model that runs the game equal without any limitation... so not the same price.

Edit - Seems appropriate words.

"You reap what you sow"

Last edited:

assurdum

Banned
Alex wondering why SX “more powerful GPU” is not showing is hilarious.

Maybe because teraflops and other numbered specs don’t tell you anything about real world performance that’s why.
Unbelievable. Still they persist with this narrative. Series X is 18% more powerful and ps5 is faster in the same percentage. The faster GPU can't overperform the other, but the more power should. Just why? What is it the logic behind this assumption? It's like in DF mind everything is perfectly balanced on series X but on ps5 hardware is all confusing without a logic.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
Unbelievable. Still they persist with this narrative. Series X is 18% more powerful and ps5 is faster in the same percentage. The faster GPU can't overperform the other, but the more power should. Just why? What is it the logic behind this assumption? Can someone explain me the logic behind?
Can you explain how a second GPU can be inside the power brink? Nope.
That is the same case here... fans creates some weird (and perhaps fantasist) expectations based in paper specs marketing.

eNT1TY

The game looking blurrier 100% of the time on the X is a bigger oversite than missing puddles on reflections on the 5 during rainy scenes i would say. Every moment of gameplay is sharper on the 5 due to properly functioning AF where as once in a while (when it rains assuming puddles are dynamic) on the X you see a puddle in a reflection on applicable surfaces. One has to take into account the scope of both bugs; one is present across all scenes all the time the other affects just one type of object visible from limited angles during certain weather conditions visible only in low ground reflective surfaces that provide a field of view of the ground at the right distance of said puddle. Parity indeed.

Leyasu

Banned
Why dose the xsx not have a higher resolution, there has to be bottleneck, tools cant be this bad. Are xbox fans not upset about this, imagine ps5 was performing like a 8tf console, i would be very upset with sony.

The PS5 is though too..

Unless ofcourse you think that these cross gen launch games are the limit of these consoles.

Ev1L AuRoN

Unbelievable. Still they persist with this narrative. Series X is 18% more powerful and ps5 is faster in the same percentage. The faster GPU can't overperform the other, but the more power should. Just why? What is it the logic behind this assumption? Can someone explain me the logic behind?
If PS5 really perform as well as the Series X in the long run, it will be the first time I see a smaller chip with fewer CU's outperform a bigger one, If conformed. What a colossal screw up from Microsoft that would be, Series X must have some terrible bottleneck in its design.
The bigger more expensive SoC, the gas chamber cooling, Series X should be quite a bit more expensive to manufacture.

The console are basically equals, good for the average gamer bad for the people who replace the missing love of
their parents with fanaticism.

Means the reflections are not ray traced for this 'bug'.

My twitter favorite has some addition info but it should be stated DF is dropping The ball here, no bug.

@astaranx: Not only the puddle but also the windows 🪟, on #PS5 is grey white like a mere texture, on #SeriesS and #SeriesX, it looks like a real window 🪟

You are quoting a fanboy who understand nothing of the topic in order to explain something you also doesn't understand.

That sound like the usual behavior of the social networks and forums.

yurinka

10.2 = 12

OVcTMkVgvHu0wgnQmKo6Og0iAFo67yx8t4qIf74WRB8iK7jYVjTO80INWic_8n3WFaOJNI4FpSgBrPhmdsLNk0rcszCgWazeXvi_3EZ_p3D04u0De99r4_xTmoeVd8SXFq2V=w220-h161
Maybe the devs aren't wrong and teraflops aren't everything, maybe there are more things involved on what cause to have better or worse performance.
Maybe they are a theorical peak indicator for certain tasks and not a good indicator of overall real world performance.

If PS5 really perform as well as the Series X in the long run, it will be the first time I see a smaller chip with fewer CU's outperform a bigger one, If conformed. What a colossal screw up from Microsoft that would be, Series X must have some terrible bottleneck in its design.
The bigger more expensive SoC, the gas chamber cooling, Series X should be quite a bit more expensive to manufacture.
CUs aren't the only difference between the consoles. PS5 GPU is faster. Cerny explained on his PS5 talk why they took that approach of less CUs but higher GPU frequency, and why their memory management and I/O optimizations are important too.

So much for those extra compute units, can't even run at a higher resolution than the PS5 version given the dynamic resolution scaling. The game seems well optimized too, so maybe this is more proof that the gap was never going to be much of a thing in real world performance.
To have extra CUs helpd in some areas but adds zero in other areas where it's better to have the PS5 perks like having higher frequency for their GPU.

We saw from their PC version settings that their settings for these consoles are pretty much the same, so it isn't something related to the game trying to block the performance or something like that to try to artificially achieve an unneeded parity. We're also seeing pretty similar basically tied results in most multi games, so sounds that the real world performance of both consoles is basically the same.

Ps5 best version confirmed. Faster loads and dualsense features.
Don't forget #puddlegate2.0!
Psyduck.png

Now seriously, I assume they'll patch that reflections issue, same goes with texture filtering looking worse on XSX

Last edited:
Top Bottom