• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Three New Xbox Series X|S Consoles Coming Holiday 2024

So, where is this happening? Cause this never happened in Illinois. I frequented Walmart in hopes of seeing some clearance sale but they never got rid of the physical games section. Certain countries?
Anecdotally, I'm currently in the Azores, Portugal and one major electronic retailer I visited recently, Wortons, has like a 3 foot wide( and that's being generous) Xbox games display. The PlayStation and Nintendo sections are both over twice as big and prominently displayed.

Another, Radio Popular, had a few Series consoles and controllers but IIRC they didn't have any physical games.Granted their gaming section in general was pretty paltry.

Then there was another smaller retailer in the city( Ponta Delgado) named Conforto which didn't have a single Xbox branded item asides from a few third party controllers.

Last edited:

King Dazzar

Here in the UK one of our few remaining retail park players is a store called Currys. Today I popped in to look at gaming headphones and they had everything on display from TV's to toasters, laptops to washing machines. Keyboards to microwaves. Yet the hardware game section has been reduced to locked cupboards behind the returns counter. I kid you not. And above that locked cupboard is a display case for all their games. A whopping total of 4 games on display which were CoD and Spiderman. Thats it. They obviously assume everyone just buys their gaming stuff online.

We do still have GAME, which is the equivalent of GameStop I guess, but that's in a very precarious place now and I doubt will be on the high street for much longer.

Come on that doesn't make you want to jump into the Xbox ecosystem?

Someone at green HQ thinks so

I think it's a strategic way to get out of the physical game market, and the broader hardware market altogether. Release gimped, expensive console, point to low sales. Then focus only on small scale "premium" hardware ($$$$$) and when the third parties murder them in sales numbers, say how it makes sense to let them handle the low margin hardware and pay royalties to Microsoft for the privilege.

Crazy to price the 2tb one at $599. They should have slotted that into the $499 price slot, the 1tb digital X $399 and 1tb S $299.

Or even more aggressively shave $50 off those numbers, but MS clearly isn't serious about moving the needle on hardware. They aren't positioning these systems to ride the wave of what is obviously a widely positive reception to the games they showcased 3 days ago.

Last edited:

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
Keep telling yourself that

What am I missing? the digital series consoles actually do less than the Xbox One X thats a fact

I had my series for sale in the marketplace just recently it was collecting dust

Last edited:

DKPOWPOW

So basically, M$ wants to have their worst holiday ever confirmed.

The Series S isn‘t quite a slap in the face as the other 2, but the new X variants? Is this a joke bro? You can get the X right now for $399. It was $350 last holiday. Price jump to go digital only is ass backwards. Don’t even get me started on a $250 increase for a measly 1TB upgrade in storage.

Now it all makes sense, Microsoft wants to eliminate physical media on the Xbox and make hybrid with PC and cloud on next gen.

Dude, old digital games don't chain me to the Xbox, if the consumer has the courage they will change ecosystems. Microsoft underestimates us.

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
So they are getting rid of the 500gb Xbox Series S and its $299 price point? Let’s see how that works out for them.

I don’t think so, but that would be a really, really bad idea. What they should have done is redesigned that version with newer components and permanently slashed the price to $250. Would have been a great entry level console and good for emerging markets.

Heck, if it came in smaller and more efficient than the current Series S, I’d had picked one up.

........ They are struggling to sell these and they want a $599 model?

Ponder Denzel Washington GIF by Entertainment Tonight

I believe the storage expansion is $150 for an extra 1TB, so this isn’t a terrible deal so long as they don’t kill off the other SKUs.

The baffling thing is that the Series X digital has the exact same footprint.

DAHGAMING

I have been keeping an eye on this thread since Sunday and it brings me so much joy to see so much intrest in the most powerfull console in the world and so many of you waiting to get your hands onit. I see no talk of the PS5 pro this week its all just Xbox 🥰. Try hold it together a little longer, pre-orders go up soon and you can pick up your new Xbox Series S/X this fall.

i might be interested in upgrading either my S or X if there are other improvements than just increased storage. I need wifi 6e or 7 preferably if they they can provide that then i'll bite.

spons

Gold Member
i might be interested in upgrading either my S or X if there are other improvements than just increased storage. I need wifi 6e or 7 preferably if they they can provide that then i'll bite.
Damn, you're right. The Xbox series consoles don't even have Wi-Fi 6. I suppose that's why speeds are so poor, I can barely get over 100 Mbit/s on my gigabit connection. Everything that's wired, and devices with Wi-FI 6, are much faster.

Skifi28

Gold Member
Odd, I get 224 Mbit/s on my laptop at the exact same location, but it has Wi-Fi 6e. The Xbox performs at more than half of that.
I do live in an apartment complex, so maybe it's the new 6 GHz band?
Even the laptop speed seem quite low. Obviously the xbox not having wifi6 doesn't help, but I feel like the root cause of your low wireless speeds is something else. With a decent wifi5 modem at the 5Ghz band most modern devices could easily reach 500+ mbps.

spons

Gold Member
Even the laptop speed seem quite low. Obviously the xbox not having wifi6 doesn't help, but I feel like the root cause of your low wireless speeds is something else. With a decent wifi5 modem at the 5Ghz band most modern devices could easily reach 500+ mbps.
After placing an access point/repeater with 2 physical connectors right next to my Xbox on the same wireless network, and then making a wired connection between it and the Xbox, I get 340 Mbit/s. If I ditch the wired connection between the two, and connect to the same repeater right next to the Xbox wireless (same settings, same location), I get 140 Mbit/s. So either my network setup is completely fucked, or the Xbox has a drastically worse wireless chipset/connection than the repeater, or both.

Skifi28

Gold Member
After placing an access point/repeater with 2 physical connectors right next to my Xbox on the same wireless network, and then making a wired connection between it and the Xbox, I get 340 Mbit/s. If I ditch the wired connection between the two, and connect to the same repeater right next to the Xbox wireless (same settings, same location), I get 140 Mbit/s. So either my network setup is completely fucked, or the Xbox has a drastically worse wireless chipset/connection than the repeater, or both.
I'd personally test the xbox next to the modem to rule out repeater shenanigans which you could be a victim of. Not to say the xbox wireless is perfect, but you should be getting much higher speeds than you are. From a quick internet search, many people seems to be easily getting 300-400mbps with just wifi on a series console.

Odd, I get 224 Mbit/s on my laptop at the exact same location, but it has Wi-Fi 6e. The Xbox performs at more than half of that.
I do live in an apartment complex, so maybe it's the new 6 GHz band?
Wifi on my series X is choppy, I can get 250Mb sometimes but its not sustained, averages about 150 I would say, but I also no that the environment is congested. My PC with wifi 6e in the same area can max out my download speed which is why if these new consoles improve the wifi i would be tempted to trade my current xbox.

Top Bottom