• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Three New Xbox Series X|S Consoles Coming Holiday 2024

Pop

Whats the point of these

Excuse Me What GIF by Bounce

Banjo64

cumsessed
I was hoping for news on the new controller. It was rumored to be out May 24th of this year.
r7Oiq7v.png
Yeah what the hells happening with this?

The digital Series X doesn’t have the cylinder design, so in a worse case scenario this controller could have gone back to the drawing board or been completely scrapped.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: Isa

LordCBH

Man, two of my four controllers are damaged and I've waited till today because i expected the new controllers will be announced.

Fuck!

Now I order them old ones...

After playing a couple of minutes withe the PS5 controllers I really whish they get their stuff together and make a brand new controller! Not just haptic feedback,also the loud xbox buttons is something they had to fix soon!

The sticks in the Xbox controller I use for pc are feeling really tense and bad now and I only got it a year ago….i know I play a lot on it but man….

skit_data

Backlog in the warehouse? They aren’t selling like hotcakes.
Yeah, I guess that might have been part of it the last 1,5 year or so but IIRC there were shortages of both Series X as well as PS5s in the first year or so. If I were them I'd have put a team on it as soon as it was revealed there was a PS5 Digital Edition selling at $399. I suspect its due to not wanting to undercut the value proposal of Series S mixed with a more expensive BOM.

BlackTron

Gold Member

The digital Series X doesn’t have the cylinder design, so in a worse case scenario this controller could have gone back to the drawing board or been completely scrapped.

Yeah the controller was the only good part. Bringing gyro like the original should have had. Gyro is what makes shooters playable on a controller for me, and MS here being the shooter company with a whack gamepad.

hinch7

That $600 model is insane considering the current hardware isn't doing great. Heck even the 1TB model should be lower now considering the consoles would 4 years old by the time these release. And its new SKU's cut down, with no disk drives.

I'm thinking they're releasing these in limited quantity just to upsell the current stock. Makes no sense and a bit baffling really.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
MS just cant get their pricing right.

If the ps5 pro is 599....

I can only imagine that they have it on good authority that it's 699 because if not....oh boy!

• Fire
Reactions: Isa

Nydius

Gold Member
They are supposed to be lowering prices since they can't move consoles not raising prices.

I don’t get it either. They’re looking at a damn near 75% decline in hardware revenues over the last 7 quarters, and that was with them releasing the black 1TB XSS, and putting both consoles on sale for an entire quarter over the holidays. So, naturally, they’ll… release new, more expensive, hardware?

It’s like they live in their own reality bubble. 🤷

King Dazzar

Announcing a discless version for $449 when you can buy the disc version today at $399, real genius there at Microsoft.
I would have thought their strategy is to sunset the current options. So you'll be forced to buy their extortionately priced rehashed model if you want disc. All part of their push to kill off physical media... And as you say even the lower tier new hardware entries are pay more for less.

I sincerely wish them all the worst.

Astray

It's likely not going to happen because then they would have to establish support for it for all Series-era titles at least.

They also probably have a ton of controller stock at retailers this would render useless too.

The prices are insanity. So I guess Xbox aren't serious about selling consoles. If they had revealed a cheaper Series X with more local storage, I may have bought one just for access to my dormant library. But once again MS know how to extract a "fuck off" sentiment from me.

Is it arrogance, stupidity or both?
Both most likely.

Celcius

°Temp. member
Announcing a discless version for $449 when you can buy the disc version today at $399, real genius there at Microsoft.
This is a good point.
Why put the disc series X 1TB on sale today for $399 and then announce the diskless version the exact same day for $50 more?

edit: Also, I assume the cylinder design has been cancelled?

Last edited:

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
I don't know why you are all confused about msrp, consoles have done this forever.

If series x is $100 off, the digital will have a similar discount. In other words, if the white digital was out today, it too would be on sale for $349.

As to the limited edition, they will probably only build 10,000 or some other very limited amount, the high price doesn't matter, they will all sell. Considering the cost of increased storage on series X, it's not that expensive anyhow if you planned on going to 2tb ssd from day one.

West Texas CEO

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
Limited quantities for the 2tb XSX?

What does this even mean?

Why doesn't MS just kill off the disc version completely?
dueling.gif

This seems like a one foot in, one foot out, kind of move.

hinch7

Limited quantities for the 2tb XSX?

What does this even mean?

Why doesn't MS just kill off the disc version completely?
dueling.gif

This seems like a one foot in, one foot out, kind of move.
If I had to guess to try get rid of their old stock fast before the next generation. Got to make the current stuff more appealing somehow lol.

Imagine if they didn't launch anything alongside the PS5 Pro. Even with a load of new games on their system. It gets people talking about Xbox.

Last edited:
If I had to guess to try get rid of their old stock fast before the next generation. Make the current stuff more appealing somehow lol.
2 years in advance? Nah, definitely not. Nothing to do with next-gen. Just a limited edition to juice some interest

I would have thought their strategy is to sunset the current options. So you'll be forced to buy their extortionately priced rehashed model if you want disc. All part of their push to kill off physical media... And as you say even the lower tier new hardware entries are pay more for less.

I sincerely wish them all the worst.

Exactly this. This is Microsoft's equivalent of "fuck you, I don't want the job" contractor quote. Again why Microsoft and their tactics are so bad for the industry. This gives them the following strategic options:

1. Sell through the current stock of Series consoles, introduce the new ones. Watch them fail due to the ridiculous price and boom, you have data driven evidence that consumers don't want physical media. Or that you will be able to severely upcharge the people who do want it and rake in the money instead of taking such steep losses on consoles trying to establish marketshare.

2. Sell through the current stock of Series consoles to juice their userbase numbers out of FOMO that the only option for a disc console is $600 in the future. Then at release (or after) they can run sales promotions to reduce the effective price you'll pay, or straight up reduce the price and get praise because "we heard you".

intbal

They did the same thing when they launched the Xbox One SAD edition. The regular disc-based Xbox One S was still being sold and was cheaper than the gimped discless SAD edition.

Top Bottom