• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dishonored |OT| The belle of the ball

After about an hour and a half on Back Alley Brawl, I had a score of about 350,000. I died, and then right before it would have saved my score, the game crashed. =(

Would have put me in 8th place on the leaderboard.

So are the trials worth it? Usually I'm not a big fan of challenge rooms and the like, but I'm wavering because more Dishonored is more Dishonored, and the powers and movement is really well-designed so challenge rooms may actually be more fun than usual.

So are the trials worth it? Usually I'm not a big fan of challenge rooms and the like, but I'm wavering because more Dishonored is more Dishonored, and the powers and movement is really well-designed so challenge rooms may actually be more fun than usual.

If you like the gameplay/powers of Dishonored then the trials is definitely worth it. There's combat stealth, puzzle, and agility trials. All are tons of fun.

taoofjord

Man, this DLC is awesome. A lot of love went into it, just like the main game. The whole thing is well thought out (great variety in challenges, expert mode, secrets, unlockables, thematically consistent.) The challenge levels are all unexpectedly beautiful and made to look like Corvo dreamed them up.

They really did a fantastic job with this. Too bad it will get overlooked here on GAF. I wish this game was more popular here, it's my GOTY.

Rufus

I like the Bend Time challenges, but the bonus rounds are really obscure. I don't get half of them. The chain kill challenge is also surprisingly difficult. However this is the first time I ever really got into combat, so it's no real surprise that I suck at them, hehe.

The only one I really don't like is the whale oil shooting.

I like the Bend Time challenges, but the bonus rounds are really obscure. I don't get half of them. The chain kill challenge is also surprisingly difficult. However this is the first time I ever really got into combat, so it's no real surprise that I suck at them, hehe.

The only one I really don't like is the whale oil shooting.

It seems like a lot of the Bend Time challenges are about killing only specific people.
For example, in one you have to kill all the Pendeltons. In another you kill all the overseers.
I can't figure out some of the others though as well. Especially the "Propaganda" one. I have no idea what to do during that one.

Lingitiz

I didn't play too much of it yet, but this DLC seems really cool. The assassination missions I played were really tough, replayable, and looked good as well.

Rufus

It seems like a lot of the Bend Time challenges are about killing only specific people.
For example, in one you have to kill all the Pendeltons. In another you kill all the overseers.
I didn't even think of that until the "Surgical Strike" one. Still guessing most of the time.

I can't figure out some of the others though as well. Especially the "Propaganda" one. I have no idea what to do during that one.
Might have something to do with the speaker above the desk. Haven't found out how to get that down without an explosion though.

Ricker

Some of you really managed to beat this game just by going non lethal and sneaking??? man kudos to you guys because I am finding the sneaking,non lethal way to be almost impossible so far...currently trying to go about the Cat house brothel thing by ways of the optional objective and I can't do it...(helping Slackjaw instead of doing something myself)....I will spoiler this small question in case...

I finally managed to reach the art dealer Butin,to have him give the combination to his safe so I can let Slackjaw kill the 2 other guys for me but I don't think he gave it to me yet...? I shocked him 3 times and now he says something about retribution but nothing else happens? do I keep shocking him till he tells me or what?

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Some of you really managed to beat this game just by going non lethal and sneaking??? man kudos to you guys because I am finding the sneaking,non lethal way to be almost impossible so far...currently trying to go about the Cat house brothel thing by ways of the optional objective and I can't do it...(helping Slackjaw instead of doing something myself)....I will spoiler this small question in case...

I finally managed to reach the art dealer Butin,to have him give the combination to his safe so I can let Slackjaw kill the 2 other guys for me but I don't think he gave it to me yet...? I shocked him 3 times and now he says something about retribution but nothing else happens? do I keep shocking him till he tells me or what?

Yeah keep shocking him until he gives you the answer. You'll see your objectives update once it happens.

BTW someone gave me this advice when I was first playing and it is good advice - save a no alert, no kill playthrough for your second playthrough. It's much, much easier when you understand the layout of the levels and where you're supposed to go. In your first run just let whatever happens happen, and you'll have more fun that way.

Ricker

Yeah keep shocking him until he gives you the answer. You'll see your objectives update once it happens.

BTW someone gave me this advice when I was first playing and it is good advice - save a no alert, no kill playthrough for your second playthrough. It's much, much easier when you understand the layout of the levels and where you're supposed to go. In your first run just let whatever happens happen, and you'll have more fun that way.

Ok thanks...yeah,that what's I am doing for now...I go stealth until I get caught and depending on how many come after me,I either kill them or let myself die and try again from the last save...

just beat it, amazing game IMO! Liked it a lot :D And it looks so fucking good on PC with super sample AA and 60 FPS at 1080p. This game proves, developers with spotty track records can come back and make a great game. This is probably my GOTY

Ricker

just beat it, amazing game IMO! Liked it a lot :D And it looks so fucking good on PC with super sample AA and 60 FPS at 1080p. This game proves, developers with spotty track records can come back and make a great game. This is probably my GOTY

I am almost at the end and my only regret is that I picked this up on the 360...I mean it plays fine and all but godamnit some sections looks horrible,texture wise on the 360...but I bought it with my nephew who doesn't have a gaming PC so it cost me half...Imight rebuy it on PC once it goes down in price and try a full non lethal playthrough this time...

Oh and I am at the last part I believe and kinda stumped on how to get out of there...might need help later lol...

Beat this last night. Didn't grab me at first but as the game got tougher and the level design became more abstract/less linear I really started to love it. Flooded District/Lighthouse were both incredible.

Tizoc

Alright I've started mission 2 and am doing some sidequests.
I am aiming for a pacifist stealth run, and am doing the Gentlemen Callers sidquest:
should I poison the elixir? I dunno if it'd have an effect on the main game events but I'm not really liking the idea of spreading the plague >_>;

Alright I've started mission 2 and am doing some sidequests.
I am aiming for a pacifist stealth run, and am doing the Gentlemen Callers sidquest:
should I poison the elixir? I dunno if it'd have an effect on the main game events but I'm not really liking the idea of spreading the plague >_>;

I think it causes more Weepers to spawn on the next level (or just adds chaos, but not enough to raise your chaos level. I don't know which), and those usually cost you tranq darts to take out without killing. It's not really important at all to do it, so you can skip it.

Not liking Flooded District. Have to keep quickloading, and then the game needs to load everything all over again and that's not very kind to my framerate. Need to play it again when I upgrade.

Rufus

Does killing your targets actually increase the chaos rating? As far as I know it doesn't. I thought high chaos was reserved for wantonly killing guards and such.

Tizoc

I think it causes more Weepers to spawn on the next level (or just adds chaos, but not enough to raise your chaos level. I don't know which), and those usually cost you tranq darts to take out without killing. It's not really important at all to do it, so you can skip it.

Not liking Flooded District. Have to keep quickloading, and then the game needs to load everything all over again and that's not very kind to my framerate. Need to play it again when I upgrade.
Alrite thanks for the info ill skip giving therat and go look for ruins then continue with the main objectives.

Does killing your targets actually increase the chaos rating? As far as I know it doesn't. I thought high chaos was reserved for wantonly killing guards and such.

I don't know if killing targets increases chaos, but I know for sure using the non-lethal method does the opposite.

Tizoc

I have reloaded custom saves dozens of fucking times to the point I feel like saving after every enemy I knock unconcious, it's fucking ridiculous oof.
How's the PC ver. compard to the PS3? The PS3 looks good but I had the long save load times >_<.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
I have reloaded custom saves dozens of fucking times to the point I feel like saving after every enemy I knock unconcious, it's fucking ridiculous oof.
How's the PC ver. compard to the PS3? The PS3 looks good but I had the long save load times >_<.

I played on 360 and did lots and lots of saves (I grew up as a PC gamer and abusing quick saves is part of my DNA). My general rule is to save right before anything that will really mess up your playthrough if it gets screwed up. So say I'm about to take a leap of faith to air assassinate some guy and then quickly blink up to cover before his buddy turns around, I would save right beforehand. If there are no other enemies around and it's just the one guy, that's kinda hard to screw up so I wouldn't save.

Yeah the load times are annoying but you get used to them after a while.

Rufus

No complaints on PC. Basically instantaneous, which makes it tempting to re-load after every tiny mistake, however insignificant.

Rufus

So you could play an even bigger prick? Kill everyone you see, then make it 'better' by showing dubious mercy to your targets? That's kind of strange, but I guess they wanted to support people changing their mind about how they want to play, huh?

Killing your targets seems to be pretty negligible anyway. Only a concern if you're doing a no-kill playthrough.

Although aside from exposing Lord Regent, the nonlethal methods are actually more disturbing and far less merciful than just killing the targets.

Tizoc

WTF?! I DIDN'T KILL ANYONE! WHERE DID THAT DEAD BODY COME FROM?! ...does knocking out Weepers with a sleeping dart count as killing?
Ugh anyways just made it past the Golden Cat mission, but I wish the game could tell u if u've killed someone while playing the mission instead of after finishing it >=/

Rufus

...does knocking out Weepers with a sleeping dart count as killing?
Nope.

Did you keep track of where the unconscious bodies dropped or what they were near to? Someone might have fallen to their death or drowned. My second play-through I killed someone by leaving them to close to the exploding prison door. Do rat swarms touch unconscious guards? I forget. Might be another possibility.

Tizoc

Nope.

Did you keep track of where the unconscious bodies dropped or what they were near to? Someone might have fallen to their death or drowned. My second play-through I killed someone by leaving them to close to the exploding prison door. Do rat swarms touch unconscious guards? I forget. Might be another possibility.

Hmm! I did knock out 3 members of The Watch but I'm pretty sure there weren't any rats around...Ugh I swear I can't remember I mostly used Sleeping darts and choking so I guess WHERE i left them may have resulted in their deaths @_@.

So far that's 1 kill only, but that'd still guarantee me the specific ending for getting a low kill count right?

Tizoc

....aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand now my death count is at 5 dead people, I even went so far so as to rescue that poor woman who was surrounded by rats, come on! These better count as accidental deaths!
EDIT: ...and what's the deal with Ghost? Does enemies finding bodies count as me being 'discovered'?

Jhoan

Beat this game last weekend with Low Chaos. The story got super cliché towards the second half of the game and the ending sucked like many people have said but what else is new? I didn't get the undetected achievement because a body was discovered during the Golden Cat of all of missions. *face palm*

I beat it without upgrading the abilities, but the fast choke bone charm did wonders during the no kill run. After getting the achievement and upgrading the abilities, I realized how OP the player is in this game; you're basically Rambo with Blink, Time Shift, Possession, and Dark Vision.

It was definitely more satisfying going for the non-lethal method as opposed to killing the targets. Loved the vertical design of all the levels and the many options to get around; it reminded me of Deus Ex: Human Revolution in that sense. Hopefully the story DLC is good.

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
Is there any hope of actually being able to run this game on an E8400 with GTX 260? I might just sell the key I got from the Gamersgate thing if it will run like crap.

Is there any hope of actually being able to run this game on an E8400 with GTX 260? I might just sell the key I got from the Gamersgate thing if it will run like crap.

I can't say. I have the same processor (hopefully not for much longer), but a 560 Ti and my only problem was some texture loading and framerate hitches with it for a couple seconds after entering areas and after loading a game.

vazel

Banned
I run the game well on my Pentium e5200@3.5GHz + GTS 250 at 1080p. I never noticed any chuggy framerates.

Tizoc

I'm in the final chapter and I'd like some help please.
I've now gotten past
Daud and his area and am now in an area where there are 3-4 Tall Boys, how can I get past this part easily?

I've finally gotten over the fact that this is in first person, so I'll probably pick it up this week.

Is there an art book for this game? I was watching a Let's Play and the art they show when giving tips is pretty good.

AEREC

Digging the game but why the hell is it a good idea to include quicksaving/loading in a stealth focused game?

Ya ya...I know, just dont use it right? I just dont want the temptation to be there.

wbsmcs

I'm in the final chapter and I'd like some help please.
I've now gotten past
Daud and his area and am now in an area where there are 3-4 Tall Boys, how can I get past this part easily?

If you have enough mana potions I find the easiest way is to use bend time, blink on top of them and sword them. When you kill one, blink out of there and wait for the next vulnerable target. I find it way too hard to hit them all with bolts and you might run out by the time you're done.

Tizoc

If you have enough mana potions I find the easiest way is to use bend time, blink on top of them and sword them. When you kill one, blink out of there and wait for the next vulnerable target. I find it way too hard to hit them all with bolts and you might run out by the time you're done.

Ah here's the thing though; I'm going for a Pacifist Stealth run as much as possible.

Rufus

You can avoid the tallboys there by going to the far left, through the ruined buildings. There's also a way to ride the train to the exit, but I'm pretty sure I just blinked up there last time.

Digging the game but why the hell is it a good idea to include quicksaving/loading in a stealth focused game?

Ya ya...I know, just dont use it right? I just dont want the temptation to be there.
It's the best checkpoint system in existence. You make it as easy as you want it to be. The biggest frustration to me in games is having to retrace my steps through every challenge on the way to the one I failed. That, and watching an unskippable cutscene right before a difficult bit.
There's of course something to be said for not leaning on it, sure. Maybe I don't mind because I grew up with it.

Does it force you to bind a key to it? If not, you could just not assign one.

Tizoc

You can avoid the tallboys there by going to the far left, through the ruined buildings. There's also a way to ride the train to the exit, but I'm pretty sure I just blinked up there last time.

Thanks! Heh when I started I went straight forward XD, will take the left route and see what I can do~

Really thinking about getting this. I loved bioshock and I see it gets compared to it but it also gets compared to dues ex and I couldn't get into all the stealth parts. Anyone want to help me decide.

Top Bottom