• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disingenuous Discourse

ulantan

ef3bee16-079a-4ead-baf7-8eb56865b3bc-spiderman_thread.jpg
It's secretly a Starfield one.

oji-san

Banned
I guess when they say games are for kids they are kinda right. I also have games i didn't enjoy and occasionally will post on a thread why i didn't enjoy and will move on with my life, some people seems enjoying on hating or something, should try enjoying more games, it's fun. :)

GHG

I gave specific reasons for thinking that, based on my own experience with previous Fallout games. I would've had the same opinion if the game had been third-party.

I dunno about that:

My girlfriend and I actually went to the Xbox Showcase event last year, in Los Angeles. Fanfest is what they called it. We sat in the Microsoft theater to watch the Showcase then had free food and left for the beach. But they also had free Starfield and Redfall stuff, demo stations (for games that were already out), and lines for meeting with Phil Spencer and asking a question.

I'm pretty sure most of the people there were real fans. I also met Tina Amini there.

Crayon

Yo man moderation is not that easy and sometimes you catch one on the chin that seems a little unjust. It happens. It's like when you tried to tell the cop that other car was speeding faster. "well I got you".

Cashon

Banned
some people seems enjoying on hating or something, should try enjoying more games, it's fun. :)
This is what I'm talking about; I've mentioned 100% the first Spider-Man, that I think it's better than all of the open-world Batman games, that I played it again on PS5 with the dlc, and that I'll play 2 eventually. Yet, somehow, saying that I don't think Spider-Man 2 will win Game of the Year equals hating the game?

That's a very disingenuous take.

oji-san

Banned
This is what I'm talking about; I've mentioned 100% the first Spider-Man, that I think it's better than all of the open-world Batman games, that I played it again on PS5 with the dlc, and that I'll play 2 eventually. Yet, somehow, saying that I don't think Spider-Man 2 will win Game of the Year equals hating the game?

That's a very disingenuous take.
I think it's better to just move on, the internet is a meme place and no need to take it so hard, don't look for "justice" or something, enjoy the games you like and keep on smiling. :)

Cashon

Banned
Wonder why OP keeps ignoring people bringing this up;

Bu-bu,-but I wanted a nuanced discussion!!!!!1
I said likely. You even quoted it. Anyone could've come back and said, "I am not a fanboy, here's proof, and I do think it'll be Game of the Year, here's why." No one did that.

tmlDan

If you're mad about not being able to engage in spiderman threads, specifically, you are admitting you had an agenda against it and no other threads were worth your time.

When you say "what's the point of the wingsuit" you're already looking stupid because your troll opinion is baseless. It's obviously to glide around the city......if you know anything about the spiderman games the swinging and traversal it is what is all about, hell, i didn't even use fast travel cause id rather swing across the map.

Last edited:

Cashon

Banned
If you're mad about not being able to engage in spiderman threads, specifically, you are admitting you had an agenda against it and no other threads were worth your time.

When you say "what's the point of the wingsuit" you're already looking stupid because your troll opinion is baseless. It's obviously to glide around the city......if you know anything about the spiderman games the swinging and traversal is what is all about, hell, i didn't even use fast travel cause id rather swing across the map.
I also didn't fast-travel in the first one, with the exception of earning that one trophy.

I asked what the point of the wingsuit is as a means of pointing out how it's inclusion doesn't inherently make it superior to the previous two games nor will it likely make the game significantly different. If the instant fast-travel is the feature that makes it significantly different/superior to, but the fun of the game comes from the wingsuit, then what's the point of the instant fast-travel. And if the wingsuit doesn't feel significantly different than the swinging, how's it any different?

In other words, I was still arguing that this game, seemingly, isn't doing anything too terribly different from the games that came before. Which isn't necessarily bad, given that they're good games, but it will be a major reason for not being the Game of the Year.

Just forget about Spider-Man 2 OP. No need to make a thread about it. Move on and be happy.

I'm just surprised we got another Live thread in a such short time window.

Noice Thats Nice GIF

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Apparently I've been banned from responding further in the Spider-Man 2 preview thread. No response given.

Despite saying multiple times that I liked the original, that Spider-Man 2 will likely be great, and that I will be playing it eventually, I've been accused (whether implicitly or explicitly) of having some sort of ulterior motive. One person even said I was "blatantly trolling."

That's pretty absurd and makes me assume that actual legitimate, critical discourse is discouraged on this forum. I assumed that Neogaf was better, from a censorship perspective, than ResetEra, but I guess it isn't. Kinda disheartening.

Shouldn't we, as enthusiasts, be open to discussing praise and criticism about games, regardless of the platform on which they're played? Do we really want this place to be an echo chamber, validating our own purchasing decisions and discouraging people from making us feel FOMO and Buyers Remorse? Shouldn't we want to engage in critical thought surrounding our hobby?

I imagine this will also be banned, and possibly lead to my own banning, but I'm okay with that if this site is only for disingenuous discourse. So, with that said, I'd like to finish my point that I couldn't in that thread:

My larger point was that when one says "This is Game of the Year," they are generally saying, "This is THE Game of the Year, based on majority critical consensus of major publications and sites." Otherwise if Steve from down the way says that Disney Illusion Island is his Game of the Year, we'd have to call it a Game of the Year.

With that in mind, my argument is that Spider-Man 2 will not be Game of the Year, based on majority critical consensus of major publications and sites.

I'm sure the game will be great, and I'll definitely be playing it eventually. Not Game of the Year though. I will bet $1.00 that the majority critical consensus from major publications/sites will be either Tears of the Kingdom or Baulder's Gate III.

You've been threadbanned, just that.

On the purple forum you'd be perma and the rest of the thread would devolve in a performative chorus of people saying how evil you were and how much safer the forum is now.

Just move on, there's plenty of threads. I've been here a long time, I've had posts deleted and been warned, I've been threadbanned.... and that's okay, we're humans we aren't always at our own best, although it is very hard to see from our own perspective.

Gamerguy84

So you have queried all of us to ask us to speak of your innocence or your guilt.

I gotta say I didn't see anything too bad in your post history but mods have reasons. Maybe you got caught in some cross fire, I dunno.

Maybe if you pre-order the game and post the receipts in here it will prove your innocence and allow you back into the conversations.

Good luck dawg.

With that in mind, my argument is that Spider-Man 2 will not be Game of the Year, based on majority critical consensus of major publications and sites.
All this to fire off that opinion? Was it worth it?

Obviously I missed something in the other thread, but I'm going to guess you weren't banned just for saying the above, which is what you claim you said, which would make your discourse.... disingenuous

Last edited:

Sleepwalker

Ok let's see who's being disingenous:

This all started earlier in the week when you posted in the batman arkham thread about how you like the games, nothing wrong with that.

Tim Burton Film GIF by Tech Noir

After that you made your own batman thread because one wasn't enough, all was good in that thread, decent engagement and discourse for a few days until yesterday when you jokingly called Spiderman "Batman: Arkham Spider"

Meme Think GIF

Fast forward to today you spent 5 hours and 21 posts within the Spiderman thread arguing about it having outdated game design and some bullshit game of the year semantics, eventually you were banned from said thread, rightfully.

banned ban GIF

Then you make this thread and proceed to post in it 19 times, complaining about moderation but also making it a stealth Spiderman critique thread to continue your bullshit agenda.

mom son GIF

You have 350 posts in this board and 11% of those are about Spiderman. It's time to log out and take a breather.

gonna spider man GIF

And for my fellow gaf members, remember my content is free and any gold donations will go towards my investigative journalism. Thanks for coming to my TED talk.

PS:

Austin Powers Love GIF

Last edited:

Pelao

Reflect on the thought process that led you to make this thread and then aspire to never have it again.

DJ12

Apparently I've been banned from responding further in the Spider-Man 2 preview thread. No response given.

Despite saying multiple times that I liked the original, that Spider-Man 2 will likely be great, and that I will be playing it eventually, I've been accused (whether implicitly or explicitly) of having some sort of ulterior motive. One person even said I was "blatantly trolling."

That's pretty absurd and makes me assume that actual legitimate, critical discourse is discouraged on this forum. I assumed that Neogaf was better, from a censorship perspective, than ResetEra, but I guess it isn't. Kinda disheartening.

Shouldn't we, as enthusiasts, be open to discussing praise and criticism about games, regardless of the platform on which they're played? Do we really want this place to be an echo chamber, validating our own purchasing decisions and discouraging people from making us feel FOMO and Buyers Remorse? Shouldn't we want to engage in critical thought surrounding our hobby?

I imagine this will also be banned, and possibly lead to my own banning, but I'm okay with that if this site is only for disingenuous discourse. So, with that said, I'd like to finish my point that I couldn't in that thread:

My larger point was that when one says "This is Game of the Year," they are generally saying, "This is THE Game of the Year, based on majority critical consensus of major publications and sites." Otherwise if Steve from down the way says that Disney Illusion Island is his Game of the Year, we'd have to call it a Game of the Year.

I'm sure the game will be great, and I'll definitely be playing it eventually. Not Game of the Year though. I will bet $1.00 that the majority critical consensus from major publications/sites will be either Tears of the Kingdom or Baulder's Gate III.
fake interest cool story bro GIF

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
I hope Spider-Man 2 comes in and swoops up all the GOTY awards from Zelda and BG3 so OP has to join the eat crow thread.

Top Bottom