• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you get a Christmas bonus?

Do you get a Christmas bonus?

• Yes

Votes: 24 30.8%
  • No

Votes: 54 69.2%

• Total voters

Dural

Just wondering how many actually get them.

I was hoping for one today as we have had our best year ever and the company merged with a European company earlier this year. No luck, oh well, never gotten one at the current company. I was told years back before I was here, I've been here 4.5 years, it was a family owned company and the senior employees would get $10,000-20,000 bonuses at Christmas depending on seniority. My old job was also family owned and we would usually get gift cards, one time the prepaid Visas worth $1600.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Nope. The annual bonuses I get are always paid in February at every company I've worked at. Company needs to finalize all the numbers after the year is over. Then they take another month to figure out bonus math and pay it out.

Dural

Nope. The annual bonuses I get are always paid in February at every company I've worked at. Company needs to finalize all the numbers after the year is over. Then they take another month to figure out bonus math and pay it out.

It's funny you say that as we got a small bonus in February last year.

My brother worked for a company several years ago that would give big bonuses at Christmas because they wanted to help the local economy (they're from the area and are on the S&P 400).

Rival

Gold Member
No bonus for me. I do earn commission checks 4 times a year on top of my salary but that’s not a bonus. That’s just extra that I earned.

Last edited:

Quasicat

When I was in college, 20 years ago, I worked for the largest yogurt company in the world and would receive a couple thousand dollars depending on saved loss and total company profits throughout the year. This was on top of my $50,000 a year salary. I then went into public education, where I took a $20,000 pay cut and no end of year bonuses. I do get half of the month of December off though, so that is something.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
No.

I get a yearly bonus paid in March but I doubt many in America get anything called a “Christmas bonus” lol

Mine is pretty hefty usually, based on performance and oh boy do I perform 🍆

Shifty1897

Since I've moved to the software development industry, no Christmas bonuses for either company I've worked for. The first company (a publicly traded Fortune 1000 company) only paid bonuses to management, my current company (not publicly traded) usually only pays bonuses to management BUT this year about 30% of employees got an "individual contributor bonus" for being a top performer. This year I got one and it was 6% of my yearly salary. I didn't complain.

Last edited:

TheUsual

Gold Member
It was nothing big, but my company scrapped the yearly Christmas lunch and used that money to give to all the employees. Pretty good deal if you ask me.

NecrosaroIII

Ask me about my terrible takes on Star Trek characters
We didnt get a holiday bonus, we used to get a performance bonus as part of every pay check.

They got rid of that in May because it was apparently too difficult for Payroll to calculate

Fbh

Animated GIF

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
Honestly a bit surprised by the poll results, thought more people got Christmas bonuses.
Likewise, hopefully there'll be less Scrooges for CFOs next year.

I did get a Christmas bonus but it's part of my contract along with insurance and 3-weeks paid vacation per year.

Cohetedor

Pizza party yesterday and a check for about 2 days pay, at least it's something. Small family owned plastics shop, only about 30 employees.

Billbofet

I get mine in March once the prior year is finalized. It's 10-15% my salary based on performance and I usually get the higher end of it.

Blade2.0

I've never gotten a bonus. That shit is just another thing of the past that younger generations rarely get to have.

Celcius

°Temp. member
I get base salary + company stocks that I sell every year + 2x bonuses a year, but none of that is during Christmas

reinking

Gold Member
I get a holiday Amazon gift card and any PTO I sell back is paid in December. Other than that, my usual performance bonus is in Jan/Feb.

I don’t have Xmas bonus but 2 bonus a year.
June 25th and December 10th.

All same amount. Won’t say how much but this December bonus I got:
Ray Ban meta smart sunglasses
PS portal
Some brand earrings for wife
Kids Xmas present
Some money for going out (events, new year champagne at bar 😂 )

Still more than 90% left, already put it on index funds, qqq, voo.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I just get a raise. That’s my bonus. I did get a secret Santa gift from the owner. He doesn’t do this all the time, but it was a check for $1,000.00. It was nice of him. It’s the second year I’ve received it. It goes to family stuff, so no GPU for me.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Used to, but it was taken away a few years back in a pay deal and added onto our salarys. The issue is that a bonus is taxable but also exempt from employer pension contributions, by putting the bonus as part of our pay that means my employer has to contribute 25.7% of the value to my pension on top, while prior they did not. So it's an improvement, but you don't get that big lump sum at the end of the year to help buy presents sadly (I set up a savings account to do just that for myself)

Of course, trying to explain this to people who say "they took away our bonus" gives me blank stares... I can't help it I literally supported the pension service systems for years, I can't just not know why we did it or how it works.

Last edited:

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Lol. I wish.

My company is broke. Years of mismanagement mean they're potentially going into bankruptcy.

Instead of a bonus, they're making hundreds of people redundant just before Christmas.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Yeah. My boss has given me various different bonuses. Sometimes on no particular occasion just because I'm good at what I do. Pretty great boss.

Top Bottom