• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you have a broad taste in games?

your taste

• broad taste

Votes: 37 69.8%
  • narrow taste

Votes: 11 20.8%
  • something else

Votes: 5 9.4%

• Total voters
Do you have a broad taste? I mean do you play only one genre of games or are you diverse in your selection?
I play pretty much everything except sport games, mmo's and strategy games. I also don't care from what country the game is, I play japanese, euro, usa games etc.
How about you?

Impotaku

Mine would come under something else as my tastes are a mix of both. I do play some of the mainstream titles releases i also play a hell of a lot of really weird & obscure games, a mix of current gen and retro.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Fav
- WRPGs
- Military shooters
- Diablo
- Turn based strategy
- Puzzle games
- Cheesy free flash games
- Twin stick shooters
- Business/money games. Hard to find, but I like them. I used to still play Apple II emulated games of Cartels & Cutthroats up until 5 years ago. A game from I think 1983 where it's a basic game about selling shit, building factories and setting prices to make as much profit as possible. A fantastic game I played with my brothers in the 80s. And other ancient games about stocks called Millionaire and Tycoon. We didn't really know what we were doing, but had fun just trying to see who had more money.

I'll play it but not much
- Racers
- Your standard action slash em up game
- Retro metroidvania or side scrollers

Never touch, or at most I'll play a free demo for 5 minutes
- Japanese style games (RPG, Pokemon, weird niche voyeuristic games etc...)
- RTS
- MOBA
- Fighting games (excluding SF and Tekken in the 90s)
- Horror games
- Music games
- Card/deck builders
- Anything resembling MInecraft, LBP, community building games

Last edited:

Meowzers

As of right now I like to play Fifa and fps games.

Aaaand let's just say I gave up paying fps games especially Battlefront games.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I always thought I was well rounded until I met a group who only played MMO’s and RTS games. Then I started to realize that I have my own tastes. On the outside it looks like all I do is buy new stuff, but it goes much much deeper than that. A lot of the games I enjoy are from Japan, even going back to my days with the SNES. I have a lot of games I like from western studios, Polish, European, etc and etc

I’ve certainly changed the genres I like to play. Many years ago it was RPG then FPS, and now Action. I’ll play something like Myst or Sherlock Holmes, but I’ll favor God of War and Dark Souls. I only ever tend to not spend money on genres like MMO, Sports, and RTS. Racing is one I’m very hesitant on even though I own a bunch of GT, Forza, Burnout, and ect. Other than that I love finding retro games I’ve never seen before and I like to preorder new games. The next 3-4 games I have paid off are from Japan (if that matters?). I kinda drop the multiplayer after a while. I played the campaign and 9 hours of Modern Warfare. I love fighting games, so occasionally I’ll play online.

GHG

It's actually a bit of a difficult question to answer...

I try a lot of games but stick with very few for a sustained number of hours. I always go back to my preferred genres which are RPG's (which is actually quite a broad term these days since many games have elements typical of RPGs), and racing games.

So I clearly I like to think my taste is broader than it actually is. Having said that, I'm open minded and I'm always open to being surprised. I won't close myself off to anything even if I had a bad experience playing another game in a genre I typically wouldn't like.

For example I've put a lot of time into My Time at Portia this week and I've loved it despite me thinking I would hate it because I typically despise crafting orientated games. For some reason though this game has grabbed me in a way that no other game in the genre has. I would not say that I'm now a fan of that genre though.

This is why I love being subscribed to the spectrum of humble bundle, origin access and gamepass. I can try a lot of things out for little cost and I've found a ton of gems that I wouldn't have even looked at because of it.

Last edited:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Is this digital? I always tend to miss out on these gems. Even though I own two boxed copies of Tetris Gaiden and the import of PuyoPuyo Tetris. This is why love Arcade Archives and the various arcade collections out there. I’m thankful I went to the arcade, just for the variety of games that were released. Today it’s all about big show boat games with minimal gameplay.

Last edited:

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Is this digital? I always tend to miss out on these gems. Even though I own teo boxed copies of Tetris Gaiden and the import of PuyoPuyo Tetris. This is why love Arcade Archives and the various arcade collections out there. I’m thankful I went to the arcade, just for the variety of games that were released. Today it’s all about big show boat games with minimal gameplay.
Both PS1 versions are on Japanese PSN:

Dunno how they compare to the Saturn version, strictly speaking, but there ya go.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I would say may taste in games can be narrow, I enjoy some western games like God of War, InFAMOUS, Dead Space and Last of US but majority of games I enjoy are single player Japanese games but thanks to that I rarely get disappointed in the games I get because I know what I like.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Do I have a broads taste in games? No, I don't like mobile games and rarely play nintendo games.
LOL. I forgot to add those too to my list.

I'll play some Switch games with my bro's kids, but that's it.

I've never played a mobile game ever...... well except I think my first cell phone that had Snakes on it. I think it was on my Nokia brick phone from 1999 and I played it for 5 minutes and had enough.

Last edited:
I put something else because the way I work, the games I play usually gotta have something in common with each other, whether it be the games are from the same series, same dev., or same director/team. That being said, even though the games I like to play have certain common elements, they can be pretty different from one another...whether they're different genres from one another for example. So my game tastes can be broad, but not that broad, it's somewhere in between.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
I play a wide variety of games. Pretty much anything besides sports games, ironically I love sports maybe that’s why I hate sports games because they aren’t “real enough” for me. Though I do play racing games, but have just been bored of them for a few years now.

But otherwise I’ll play anything that I think looks good, I don’t care what genre it is. Of course I have favorite genres though.

Oddspeak

The only genres I actively avoid are MOBAs and licensed sports games.

Otherwise, I've enjoyed at least one game from damn near any genre you can name. But not always recently; some I might've been into when I was kid but so much now.

I think my tastes are probably pretty narrow, that go across genres but i pretty generally only stick to games with great story, some degree of customisability or crafting my own experience and, erm, how can i put this, very polished controls.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I like to think so. I'll try just about anything. I typically avoid multiplayer-focused games these days, though, because I just don't have enough time. I used to love playing them when I was younger and they still interest me, but I tend to gravitate towards more single-player games with interesting stories, settings, or gameplay mechanics/systems.

I've always been open to most types of games, tried them, and stayed with my favorites.

However I am in the process of narrowing it down; I don't want to spend humungous amounts of time on huge open world games anymore that got bigger and bigger, with way too much going on.

Kagey K

Banned
I’ll play pretty much anything. If I can control the character or the story I’m good. When I start seeing flaws in the story or gameplay is when I tend to drop it.

Don’t give me the illusion of choice only to get the same ending as someone who chose entirely different stuff. Don’t pretend I can get around an environment so many ways only to funnel me to the next cutscene.

Please, this is my big one. Please, please, please, stop using the same artstyle. There are so many games now where the only way you know what game it is, is because of the protagonist being in the front 1/3 of the screen.

We need more creativity there.

Last edited:

xrnzaaas

Yep. I generally never touch mobile games, MOBAs, strictly online games, sports games (not counting motosports ;)) and fighting games (with the exception of MK series). With the rest of the genres I'm always willing to give it a try.

Kagey K

Banned
Yep. I generally never touch mobile games, MOBAs, strictly online games, sports games (not counting motosports ;)) and fighting games (with the exception of MK series). With the rest of the genres I'm always willing to give it a try.
So you discount most of the industry, but are super open about that 10% AAA gaming that you try to play?

Id say that counts as narrow minded, even though you believe you are open minded.

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
I play pretty much anything and everything except sport games like football and stuff. But racing, shooting, platformer, puzzle etc, even cartoon or realistic of stylised etc, all good with me.

But sports? I can do them myself if I want.

xrnzaaas

So you discount most of the industry, but are super open about that 10% AAA gaming that you try to play?

Id say that counts as narrow minded, even though you believe you are open minded.
Don't worry, you can still have a broad taste even if you're ignoring some of the popular genres. I like fps shooters, action-adventure games, stealth games, platformers, metroidvanias, twin-stick shooters, racing games, RPG's, turn-based games, RTS games, adventure games, puzzle games, beat 'em up games, survival horrors, interactive movies, walking sims and indies in general. That's a little bit more than sticking with only 2-3 favorite genres. :)

Kagey K

Banned
Don't worry, you can still have a broad taste even if you're ignoring some of the popular genres. I like fps shooters, action-adventure games, stealth games, platformers, metroidvanias, twin-stick shooters, racing games, RPG's, turn-based games, RTS games, adventure games, puzzle games, beat 'em up games, survival horrors, interactive movies, walking sims and indies in general. That's a little bit more than sticking with only 2-3 favorite genres. :)
I don’t believe you. What is your Xbox/PSN/Steam name so we can dig in and see what you are really playing.

Mine is Kagey K

Feel free to dig in.

DelireMan7

I would say narrow.

I like :
  • (action)RPG/JRPG (80-90% of my games the past years)
  • Strategy (Very rare however)
  • Fighting
  • Action adventure (moderately)
  • FPS (But not so much nowadays)
I don't like :
  • Racing
  • Any kind of sports games
  • Visual Novel, only narrative games
  • Battle royal
I hate with great passion :
  • PLATFORM ! I just can't get the fun out of jumping again and again... (The only exception is Rayman Origins thanks to the art style and music)

My favorite genres are fighting vs, beat'em up, hack'n slash, musou, action rpg, racing. I love niche and obscure games, there's some rare hidden gems.

When i be allowed to create threads, i'll do some great ones about it.

But i still love some other genres like musical Rhythm games, sports (only tennis lol) and some random stuff like cooking mama (not shamed to say lmao)

Fps i like those more arcade like Doom, unreal, painkiller, bulletstorm.

I hate massive multiplayer games, and to be honest, online games aren't my thing also...

(And sorry my bad english, not my first language...)

Last edited:

-Troid-

Banned
Yeah for sure I love Metroid, Bayonetta, Tomb Raider, etc.....

Wait not that kind of broad.

Yeah I like pretty much most genres except sports games and PointNClick adventure/telltale games.

GymWolf

Not really that broad anymore, when i was young i was more broad.

I don't play anymore platform games, sport games, racing games, beat em up, strategic games,puzzle games, etc.

I Only tps, fps, open words, action rgp, action adventure, survival horror, jrpg, metroidvania and some other genres.

Top Bottom