• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you hold the appearance of the main character in Returnal against the game?

Well?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

MiguelItUp

Not at all. If anything I thought it was cool to see a character that didn't just look like some bombshell. She looks like an average person, with short hair. My original issue with it was the price tag. Knowing that the game is a roguelike, it felt weird to pay that much for it. Especially since we've seen some amazing ones over the years that were less than $30.

But then I got it for a great price during Black Friday! Just need to play it now.

KRYPT83

It's just a uninspired terrible game IMHO. You want a roguelite play Hades. Plus the devs telling me not to play it for a month until they patch it didn't help either

Tschumi

What an ugly ass character christ, add her to that pile of shame:

yRIVK2a.jpg

The name and the main character probably aren't the most appealing.

Space Karen is about right lol.

Can't get over how ugly the main character is... it's like they mixed Ripley (Alien) and that big hulking lady from Game of Thrones (can't remember her name, big blonde girl with short hair and a sword). Main character being so ugly legit makes my interest in this game go down severely.

That's the last quote I'll do, this is just why i wanted to explore the subject with a poll.

I have a feeling something similar might happen with Aloy in Forbidden West ...

The poll will close soon, I was just exploring the idea.

Last edited:

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
The main character is exactly what I would expect an older woman to look like in a video game. Further, it is easier to take the narrative seriously when effort hasn't been put into making the character "hawt. . ." (intentionally).

I don’t think a lot of people complained about how she looked… a few people just thought they made her that way to appeal to the woke and were more irritated by that.. then the actual woke people proclaimed those people hated it solely because of her looks and sexism..

We use to call that a “ carnival of stupid “ now it’s just society 🤦‍♂️

Me .. I just don’t like the concept of the game. 🤷‍♂️

In most recent threads where the general tone is people complaining about "wokeness" in character design, RETURNAL is almost always brought up.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Fuck.

The look of the character doesn't bother me at all, but I voted for the wrong option by mistake.

The problem is that if you don't pander to a certain group of people, you are either woke or sexist. These groups says that devs should do whatever they want but actually want things their way.

I don't care how my character looks because I'm looking for a good game with good gameplay. She could've been a walking nail with a gun and I'd still like the game just the same.
No no no that was not the question.

You can make whatever you want, artistic freedom. And people have the freedom not to buy it because of your design decisions.

I have literally not seen anyone argue that this game should not exist.
I do see many leftist wokes argue Japanese games should not exist.

Your "both sides" argument is false.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
She's no Samantha Carter that's for sure.
But she fits the story and is pretty much what you'd expect a 40+ female astronaut to look like..so no I have no problem.
Games like Resident Evil where they say certain characters are not dressed appropriately for the game when realistically they wouldn't be dressed that way because who would be dressed and equipped for a zombie apocalypse?
But they they say it's more realistic to have them dressed suitable to go through a zombie apocalypse when really it's completely unrealistic to have a person just going about their business as normal civilian to be ready for combat and survival.
Even Jill who was military trained wasn't on duty during RE3 but people expect her to be dressed like S.W.A.T
not realistic.
I actually liked the little touch of Leon being in civilian clothing at the beginning of RE2 Remake because it made it more believable.
They wasn't ready for what was to come.
And being unprepared is more realistic.

Last edited:
I don’t really care unless the developer(s) make a big deal about themselves and preemptively give themselves a pat on the back for making a more “realistic” character. Just make a game with a regular looking character, or a super hot character, or whatever you want, and just let the game speak for itself.

I think there’s just an air of superiority developers give off when they make prerelease statements about how “progressive” they are with their character designs that rubs people the wrong way. By the way I really don’t know anything about Returnal’s dev’s pre release statements, I’m referring more to someone like Neil Druckman who obviously likes to smell his own farts.

Last edited:

Kuranghi

The character looks incredibly dull to me. I don't know too much about the game, but seeing this character doesn't exactly draw me in.

Exactly, she needs more pizazz, like 1880s European prostitute makeup or something like that. Bring out Homer Simpsons makeup-gun!

Holammer

Well, yes? Duh... The game would have sold better if it used Chris Pratt's likeness and voice. That's a fact.
I haven't played the game so I can't really judge, maybe there's a moving subtext about motherhood and loss I'm not privy to.

Hezekiah

Banned
She's ugly as sin, and it's a shame Guerilla have gone down that path with Aloy.

However the game is great, and Sony picking up Housemarque was a great move.

Arcadialane

Yes, for sure. I think the game looks pretty cool and unique, something I have wanted to try, but I could never play a game with a main character like this.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Sometimes after a long series an actor can get typed cast and end up not doing anything of note after the show ends. Glad to see Mr. Horse from Ren and Stimpy bucked that trend.

Last edited:
This game is everything that is wrong in gaming. Women. Bleeump Bleeump Bleeump.

Why is everyone acting like adults right now?

I could careless how HAWT she is. Her suit can be COOLER though.

Closer

I have literally not seen anyone argue that this game should not exist.
I do see many leftist wokes argue Japanese games should not exist.

This part is funny because I never said anything about game existing or not and then you generalize on the second part, even tho I've seen many arguing games like "Tell me why" should not exist.

Last edited:

Spaceman292

Banned
Surely it's not crazy to notice that the faces of mass entertainment products tend to be conventionally attractive? It can be useful to cast against type sometimes and there are plenty of non-conventionally attractive character actors that thrive in smaller roles, but those are exceptions. It's not likely that people consciously made the decision described in the OP, but I bet there were plenty of people browsing the PS store who were subconsciouly offput by the character design in a game that was already a tough sell for a mass audience.

But that doesn't mean it was a bad artistic choice by the devs.
It's crazy to be upset about it

ssringo

Yup. It's bland and boring. Just like the ponytail, tank top/t-shirt, pants and boots look or the buzz cut grizzled soldier look.

But that isn't why I have no interest in the game. I simply don't like rogue/likes/lites. And I still can't get a PS5.

Kuranghi

I like her, she reminds me of Sigourney Weaver in Alien even if they don't look the same obviously.

de3filf-cd90f1de-f03f-4a8a-824a-a681c216b472.jpg

I dunno what it is but when I see her in those tiny pants I feel real squiggly, I basically turn into Garth Algar:

It also reminds me of THAT scene from Pretty Baby with Susan Sarandon, it must be the white knickers, fucking hell đź‘€ Google if confused and thank me via PM

Last edited:
Top Bottom