• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you pay for YouTube premium?

Do you have YouTube premium?

• Yes

Votes: 81 31.3%
  • No

Votes: 65 25.1%
  • Lol, I use AD blocker

Votes: 113 43.6%

• Total voters
That is, i may be losing the war….
tired of the ADs… I’m planning to buy it.

any ad blocker that work not only on pc but also on chromecast?

German Hops

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
tired of the ADs…
giphy.gif

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
Too expensive just to block 2 adverts at the beginning. Plus you can use ad blocker.

£15 a month for that benefit? Do people really download videos to watch later from YT?

Larlight

Im on month 2 of premium. So far it’s been great. I use YouTube a lot on my phone which doesn’t allow Adblock so I bought to skip the ads but also so that I can keep my phone screen off while watching a video. I watch a lot of Asmr/white noise videos to go to sleep so I enjoy my phone screen being off.

HoodWinked

Need people to subside my ad free experience. If too many people use ad block and not enough people get premium, YouTube will just go the twitch nuclear option with unblockable, unskippable ads.

Pidull

I cancelled my music streaming with Spotify and switched it to YouTube Music (with YouTube Premium). While the features and suggestions aren't as strong as Spotify, the bonus of no ads on YouTube has made it worth it. Plus, there's a lot more videogame music to listen to.

Only ads I get now are on GAF.

Last edited:

Azzurri

I bought it to watch Cobra Kai a few years back and just kept it.

Makes watching youtube videos so much nicer.

on PC ads are blocked with uBlock. when I had an Android phone i used vanced. got ads on my iPhone/iPad and on my TV when watching YouTube. there's probably a way to stop the ads but i can't be bothered. i know my VPN blocks ads with "CyberSec" but i don't know if it works to block YouTube ads. (edit: it doesn't)

i don't plan on paying for YT Premium. I did consider using it for the Music when my Spotify ran out but decided to use Apple Music instead.

Last edited:

xrnzaaas

Hell no, I use an ad blocker with some strict settings in terms of tracking and (not) displaying recommended videos.

Too expensive just to block 2 adverts at the beginning. Plus you can use ad blocker.

£15 a month for that benefit? Do people really download videos to watch later from YT?
Hell yeah. But really mainly to watch stuff in the kitchen where my wifi is a bit crappy.
Also I fetch audiostreams from YT to put on my ipod.

It's da bomb diggy.

No way in hell. Imagine paying for every single website/platform you use.
Imagine paying for things you use.
You are paying whether you want to or not. By being harassed by ads aimed at retards, or by spending currency.

Hulk_Smash

Banned
Premium is great on mobile. You might be able to use ad blockers but I don't know of a way yet where you can use the "play when locked" feature without premium.

Susurrus

Ya, but I get student rate. $7/month.

I do use Youtube Music sometimes, but I also have Spotify (also student rate, $5). I don't really watch the Originals that much, but the A.I. one starring RDJ is pretty good.

CloudNull

Banned
I use premium and wont go back. I mostly watch on my phone and adblocker wont work on mobile. Youtube is by far my most used app/entertainment medium.

Rathalos

Banned
I took the free month trial and it was great as I do most of my viewing on my iPad, but it's not worth £12 a month, the most I'd pay is like £4.99.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Yup; we use YouTube across a variety of devices, they don't all have ad blocking abilities.

Use a TV app, a console app, etc. and you'll be shit out of luck watching ads if you don't pay for it.

Hell yeah. But really mainly to watch stuff in the kitchen where my wifi is a bit crappy.
Also I fetch audiostreams from YT to put on my ipod.

It's da bomb diggy.

Imagine paying for things you use.
You are paying whether you want to or not. By being harassed by ads aimed at retards, or by spending currency.
I use YouTube mostly on desktop so AdBlock does the job. On mobile granted the ads are annoying but I can live with it.

I’ll happily pay for something with a good value proposition. But YouTube is forcing ads down our throats to push the need for Premium. It wins either way and we don’t have a third option on mobile and tv. I don’t like that kind of business.

Good point on downloading podcasts and such, I used to do the same for years until I got a wifi router at home.

I also think you should download your favorite YouTube videos as you never know when they might be deleted.

Last edited:

Roxkis_ii

I pay for the family plan. I got grandfathered in as I actually bought the sub for Google play music (Rip). YouTube is my main content app of choice, and I watch it on on my Playstation and Chromecast. I probably could just get a pie-hole for my network, but I don't feel like setting it up, and having to troubleshoot it if I have connectivity issues.

All in all, I feel like I'm getting my money's worth. I also have started to enjoy youtube Music, so I'm hooked.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
No, I had to stop using YT on mobile, just too many ads, it's insufferable. Hoping for an iOS solution with no ads.

Cravis

I pay for it and then let my wife and brother mooch off the benefits.

The ability to continue to play music while my phone is locked is worth it alone.

teezzy

Banned
I got grandfathered in for a family plan. I've been meaning to kick my friends off but have forgotten for like an entire year now

Mattyp

Gold Member
Looks like vance is the way to go.

Which isn’t useful for 90% of circumstances, the only service I pay for is Spotify. A 80TB Plex server feeds everything else, with the rise in children in the household and travel/car documentaries quality rising on YouTube I’m about to go premium.

Ads aren’t blockable on TV where 99% of content is consumed now, and honestly for the hours of content we get out of it now it’s easily worthwhile cost.

Specially when you get thrown a 30 minute ad from the other room while you’re trying to cook.

Last edited:

Soodanim

Gold Member
They’ve shown no shame in stepping up their ads in recent week, and it’s nearly every video at this point. Did you see the update to their terms? They gave themselves the right to put ads on anything they want. As an iOS user, it makes me think about Android again. The minimum seems to be two 5 second ads with one skippable after 5 seconds, but sometimes you don’t get the option to skip.

For screen off play, I use one of the good enough alternatives from the App Store. Musi is my preferred one, and while it has its own ads they are silent overlays so audio isn’t interrupted. Fine if you only use it to play audio based stuff. It did get a bit funky and try and force me to sign in to continue searching at one point, but that seems to have stopped for now.

There’s another one I have called Silence, but it’s shit. You’re constantly asked to support by paying by way of a full screen interruption, and the no option is “I don’t want to support the developers” as if it’s going to shame me into paying, and half the features and functionality is locked behind it, like Soundcloud support. Maybe I would if your progress marker wasn’t 1 pixel wide with no tolerance.

Maybe Epic will get Apple supporting external installation and I can have Vanced too.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius

I subbed once for a month when they had Karate Kid exclusive, but stopped right after.

It is not only that they charge a very high amount for content they do not produce, but that they lock system features behind a paywall in yet another way that shows Apple does not treat all devs the same way: Picture in Picture videos and background audio playback of streamed videos are both hidden behind the paywall and are standard system features YouTube blocks even in Safari unless you have YouTube premium service which is shite.

Top Bottom