• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you pay for YouTube premium?

Do you have YouTube premium?

• Yes

Votes: 81 31.3%
  • No

Votes: 65 25.1%
  • Lol, I use AD blocker

Votes: 113 43.6%

• Total voters

German Hops

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
I am surprised to see so many people pay for this.
A lot of people actively enjoy YouTube these days, even more so than standard TV or cable/satellite.

The only time I actually watch vanilla television is for sports.

If YouTube had a suitable sports package, I would never watch TV again.

highrider

Banned
I don’t but I used the trial once and really enjoyed it, I do watch primarily YouTube. I just can’t bring myself to pay for it lol

A lot of people actively enjoy YouTube these days, even more so than standard TV or cable/satellite.

The only time I actually watch vanilla television is for sports.

If YouTube had a suitable sports package, I would never watch TV again.
So you don’t watch Netflix, Prime, HBO Max or Disney+?

Great Hair

Banned
please clap jeb bush GIF
for Intel´s newest, noisy $2,300 craptop. Pay Youtube to watch shills s*ck intel´s p*nis? Nope. Just build a cheap HTPC and watch youtube over that instead of the shitty built apps of your TV.

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
Windows ad block plus

NVidia shield I use a custom side loaded Youtube APK with no ads etc.

TTOOLL

They lately have substantially increased the number of ads in each video hoping that people would pay for Premium.

I don’t mind ads, but what they did was disgraceful. I stopped watching YouTube on my TV because of it. Only on my laptop with ad blocking and on my phone I didn’t even have the YouTube app, Safari only.

Shai-Tan

Banned
yes, and it's good not having to ever watch ads, but I watch way too much YouTube. iOS screen time says the last 3 weeks were between 9 and 15 hours a week. I'm like 10 years behind on watching tv shows and movies and really should watch those instead.

Anyway, because I don't watch cable tv I never see video ads and don't want to go back to that.

Kazza

That is, i may be losing the war….
tired of the ADs… I’m planning to buy it.

any ad blocker that work not only on pc but also on chromecast?

iu

I started my subscription a couple of months back and can't imagine ever going back to the free edition with ads. If you value your time (and just value not being exposed to the retarded content of the ads themselves) then I say get it. I wish I had got it last year.

RPS37

I constantly watch YouTube on my living room tv.
So tempted to get it. 12 bucks a month feels steep compared to all my other subs.

Edit oh God it’s 16

Last edited:

Susurrus

So tempted to get it. 12 bucks a month feels steep compared to all my other subs.

Edit oh God it’s 16
Become a student! Spend thousands on school and spend hours and hours of time, just to save 9 bucks a month on youtube.

Soodanim

Gold Member
If you’re an iOS user, Brave goes out of its way to tell you it blocks YouTube ads to save your data. That’s great, but I’m sure YT is artificially slow in mobile browsers. I can live with that, but the worst bit is that NeoGAF doesn’t load gifs properly in anything but Safari for me. That means using two different browsers, which cuts down on the convenience.

Edit oh God it’s 16
Same. I really thought about it because the ads on TV are so annoying. But the price is just too high. If it were like 5 bucks I'd do it.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
YouTube 2008 more like.
remember when there wasn't ads?

Fuck no, the elites think we will pay 100$ a month in subscriptions for songs/films/series. They must think the world is the USA alone.

I dont have any active subscription at the moment.

Last edited:

SafeOrAlone

Banned
It's $16??

Holy crap. I was about to jump on for $5-7 month. How do you entice people to go from "free" to $16?
Crazy.

I use chrome and a few adblocks on pc.
As for mobile, I uninstalled the yt app from my phone and I'm using vivaldi browser with adblock to access mobile youtube.

Would be nice if chromecast google tv had a voice command like: skip ad

idk why but recently every time I’m cooking I play some pawn stars episodes

It's part of my YT Family Plan.

I get YT Music + YT Premium for 6 people for $15/m.... pretty damn good IMO.

I also have the Apple One plan (or whatever they call it)... Apple Music + TV + Arcade + 2TB iCloud Storage for $29/m split across my family.

Those are the only two subs I don't feel like I'm getting screwed on.

The ads have become too much. So i caved. I pay £1.84 a month for a family pass. Use a VPN and sign up from an Indian IP. its easy.

Thats me and 5 other people reaping the benefit of youtube premium for almost free. I should have done this ages ago as the ads are out of control. I used ad blocker on my PC but i watch most youtube on my smart TV.

Last edited:

TransTrender

Gold Member
Get fucked
Lol, I use AD blocker
When they decided to add pre roll, mid roll, and post roll ads for every 3 min video I didn't cave and pay to solve the problem they created, I just worked around it.

I also support my favorite YouTube creators with Patreon. No ragrets.

Xdrive05

I do, but not even because of the ads. I listen to a lot of long form content on YT, and almost always from my phone, with the screen off (basically like a podcast). So I need the videos to "play" while the screen is off, so I can still listen through my AirPod Pros. That feature, as far as I know, is still behind the subscription paywall.

If the free version let you do that, I'd put up with the ads and drop the sub.

InterMusketeer

Gold Member
I'm not entirely against paying for YouTube. I use it enough to justify spending a bit, but €12 a month is way too much. That's almost €150 a year! Insane. If they drop the price to €5 per month I might give it a try.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I do, until I can figure out a way around by spending the 2 minutes to research it LOL

What makes it easy is that I bill it to my phone bill so it just adds a little bit more to the bill which is something I don't really notice as much. I balance it all out and have an x amount of money going into that particular account anyway which is a thing responsible to do so I really have grown spoiled to not seen advertisements but have grown more annoyed of getting the advertisements within a video which kind of defeats the purpose of the premium at times.

It's really just YouTubers getting around some limitations but the ads have gotten a lot worse and just about every channel especially those that pause in the middle of the video and do clever skits and stuff like that but some of them often take a minute or two versus ones that maybe are 20 seconds or less so it's less obstructive.

Javthusiast

Banned
VPN + Indian ip + random address in india + my credit card.

Signed up on my android phone through the yt app like this. Less than 2 dollars a month for yt premium with their currency.

Had to use the vpn only on signup. 4 months in it just takes these under 2 dollars from my credit card each month.

Feels good. xD

Rathalos

Banned
VPN + Indian ip + random address in india + my credit card.

Signed up on my android phone through the yt app like this. Less than 2 dollars a month for yt premium with their currency.

Had to use the vpn only on signup. 4 months in it just takes these under 2 dollars from my credit card each month.

Feels good. xD

I did this recently. I paid £19 for 15 months of Premium.

oagboghi2

The ability to download videos on my phone is awesome.

and you get YouTube music included, which I find is better for discovery than any other music streaming app.

if you use YouTube a lot and don’t have it, you’re kinda dumb or stupidly cheap

Fox Mulder

No ads on YouTube is a must if you use it a lot. I pay for premium because it’s easy and just works across every device wherever I am. Haven’t seen a single ad since I started it last year.

nemiroff

Gold Member
I have a family and we're using a lot of different devices to watch on, so yes of course I have Premium.

Last edited:

DrNeroCF

I’m caught between wanting to pay to get rid of ads, and absolutely not wanting to pay for a standard OS feature (seriously, the one time Apple won’t be a thorn in developer’s sides?).

I always do Request Desktop Website (saved as default for YouTube), play, lock phone, unlock, hit play on Lock Screen, lock again, doesn’t take any time to do but it’s still tedious.

It can’t be that difficult to write a Safari extension that specifically blocks the garbage that YouTube adds to disable PiP and background video, right?

ShadowLag

I use premium and wont go back. I mostly watch on my phone and adblocker wont work on mobile. Youtube is by far my most used app/entertainment medium.

Download the Brave browser on your phone, and watch YT that way - built in adblock, on all the time by default. Since I installed Brave I've never looked back, it's like the Internet was given back to me.

RoboEight

I would if it was cheaper or they offered an ad free version by itself. Here in Canada YTP is $16 a month which I would say is fine with Youtube music included but I already have Spotify family which I'm paying $18 for so that's almost $40 a month and honestly I probably wouldn't use both music services. I do watch a lot of Youtube on my TV which has it built in so the ads are super annoying and get tiring which I guess it's doing it's job of making people want premium lol.

Top Bottom