• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do You take vacation from work to play new games?

Work leave/vacation to play video games:

• Yes, often

Votes: 6 2.6%
  • Yes, only for personal hyped games

Votes: 96 41.2%
  • No, never

Votes: 107 45.9%
  • I work from home/spend time in home - I play whole day anyway

Votes: 24 10.3%

• Total voters

Jaxx_377

Neo Member
Years ago I would take a day if there was a game I was really looking forward too playing. Get the house too myself and have a full uninterupted day too myself to just go at it, but now all my time off is reserved for the kids. But I could see myself taking a day off again once they are older if something peaks my interest.

420bits

If its something I really look forward to, like Elden ring?
Days off for sure. How many? Depends on the game and my situation at work and when its released.
Elden ring is out on a Friday so that means I will just quit early -> spend weekend to play and then 5 ways off + the weekend and that's plenty of time.

If its something less hyped I may just quit early or take a day off.

Most of the time I will play a game when I have the time for it close to launch but not take any time off.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Very rarely as I get 2 months leave a year, essentially I use maybe 2 weeks for this max a year, depending on the title really.

This year so far for example I have not got anything planned and of course I will prioritise work over my hobby, I can always just play it on the weekend.

The last time I did was for Monster Hunter Rise's launch on switch, which was a shame because Capcom forgot to release the ending to the actual game at launch, it took me 2 days to get there and that was that.

Last edited:

BigBooper

I really only did that once for Fallout 3. It was kind of cool, but after a few hours you get tired of doing one thing, so I don't know if it's worth it.

I don't really take regular vacations as a bartender, time off is money lost. That being said, I have occasionally taken a day or two off around a release that I'm personally hyped for. Last time was Bloodborne. Would've taken a day or three for Elden Ring, but I'm starting a new job the week of release so that ain't gonna happen this time around.

FingerBang

I don't remember ever doing it, but maybe I did it once years ago. Now I work from home and taking days off makes no sense, since we all know software engineers spend something like 1 hour working and the rest of the day masturbating and playing videogames.

Methos#1975

I took 2 days of PTO so I have a 4 day weekend to play Elden Ring at launch. What else I'm I going to do with all my PTO days really?

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Vacation days are way too valuable to spend them in front of a screen imho.
Vacation days are to valuable to relax and spend doing what makes you happy?
I understand family and stuff. But you should never put your wants and needs below work. It doesn’t seem healthy.

Also, the worst thing ever is working home renovation or chores on a vacation. Many people take days off to paint the walls etc

MikeM

They most likely do, but probably no spouses or kids. My wife will murder me if I dared to take a time off to play videogames.
Spouse. Kids. Career. Mortgage.

One thing I have learned is always make time for yourself. It does wonders for your mental health.

kingfey

Banned
1 day paycheck is 150$ bucks for me. I need that money. Taxes eat alot of my paycheck. I cant take a day off.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I'd be worried about doing this if it was physical copies honestly. Had so many games delayed over the last 2 years on shipping.

Shifty1897

I took a day off for Witcher 3, and for a few other big games here and there. Never more than one day a year, but it's a very special day when I do it.

I'm only off about 30 days a year including PTO and holidays, so dedicating one day just to sleep in and play games seems reasonable.

Last edited:

kyussman

I'm self employed.....but,no.....I would not close my shop to go play a video game.....I've got bills to pay,lol.

Havoc2049

I'll take a few days off once or twice a year to coincide with the launch of a game I'm hyped for. My job is also 24/7/365 and if I'm working in a department that isn't day shift/M-F, I'll schedule my normal days off around the launch of a game.

Kupfer

I did it with games like GTA5 (Ps3) and TLOU (Ps3), last time I tried was for Cyberpunk. 3 days of vaccation for nothing because it was postponed shortly before the release.

ToTTenTranz

Banned
I use my vacation days to visit foreign countries, go to the beach and be with my family.

I've never scheduled nor dedicated vacation days to play videogames. The closest thing I ever did was to spend most of a 1-month medical leave playing Skyrim but that was 10 years ago, before I was married and had children..

Kacho

I used take a Friday off for a game I was hyped for but I haven’t done that in almost 10 years.

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
I do once in a while but very rarely. I have so many holidays backed up it is almost a requirement for me to keep them in line.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
My brain is that retarded, I choose to play on consoles more than 10 years ago, because whenever I said in front of the PC, I have thought of "why the fuck you don't working you lazy fuck". So no.

NahaNago

Take a vacation would be a no, but I have taken a day off to play a game in the past. It's been a while since I've even taken a day off just to play a new release and I don't see any upcoming games that would convince me to do so.

MastaKiiLA

Fuck no!

Pussy? Yes. I'll take hours off of work each year, to smash. Video games? Fuck no. Games don't pay me, and there is no game known to man that rewards you like some poon. Unless you have disposable income, or have a spouse that will allow you to exchange quality holiday time for video game time, then this is just plain stupid. Video games are a hobby, something you fit in on the side. It shouldn't trump social or money-earning activities.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
I maybe have once or twice, but I doubt I would now. I voted for the last one because I do work from home and I do sometimes sneak game breaks in when I need to unwind.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
My brain is that retarded, I choose to play on consoles more than 10 years ago, because whenever I said in front of the PC, I have thought of "why the fuck you don't working you lazy fuck". So no.
Lol that’s not so untrue. Pc makes me watch twitch, alt tab and waste more time :p

GametimeUK

I don't take vacations from work specifically to game, but I will game a lot when I take my vacations. I just go with the flow.

Catphish

I used to. Madden Day was a guaranteed vacation day for years. For a few others, too, here and there. But then Madden became perennial dogshit, and day one now for most games generally involves patches and endless option tweaking and server issues and other assorted bullshit, so, now, no. I don't take time off for new game releases any more. Haven't for a few years now.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
Few times... I think when I was a student...

Now... Thanks to heaven and my job, I can enjoy travel to many cities.

Havoc2049

Fuck no!

Pussy? Yes. I'll take hours off of work each year, to smash. Video games? Fuck no. Games don't pay me, and there is no game known to man that rewards you like some poon. Unless you have disposable income, or have a spouse that will allow you to exchange quality holiday time for video game time, then this is just plain stupid. Video games are a hobby, something you fit in on the side. It shouldn't trump social or money-earning activities.
Some of us have paid Annual Leave and paid Sick Leave. Get paid to stay home, play video games, smash or whatever your heart desires.. Lol

Last edited:

CeeJay

I used to before having commitments, not a chance of that happening now. These days I can't just take a day off without it having some kind of purpose either to decorate, go to some shitty appointment I would rather not go to or a family holiday or event away somewhere. Even if i sneak a day off in my calendar I just get given jobs to do around the house so it's not worth it. There is the very rare occasion when the wife goes to her mums for a day or two and I get out of going but don't usually get enough notice to get some time off work booked in.

Top Bottom