• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you want more or less exclusives on each console?

What's you opinion of exclusives on consoles?

• The more exclusives the better

Votes: 118 56.7%
  • Exclusives are bad. The vast majority of games should be multiplatform

Votes: 90 43.3%

• Total voters
What's you feelings on exclusive games on consoles.

Do you think it's better when the majority of games are available on both platforms, or do you think that the more exclusive content the better?

Without a doubt, for me the more the better. I would be happy for 50% or more content being available exclusively on either console.
The previous generations of having 98% the same games on each platform, with maybe 5 or so quality exclusives per console a year is rubbish.

Let's see a real difference between the feel.of each ecosystem.
I loved how the PS1 and Sega Saturn went. There was a massive difference between the experience you got from either console. I bought both because I couldn't miss out on either catalogue.

What say ye?

Given I play far more online games than offline and I'm from Australia I prefer less exclusives. The more population down under for a game the better server/regional investment and more peeps to play games with. We also end up in a hyper competitive population the longer a game is around due to player pool sizes e.g. I'm stuck playing preds and masters every match in Apex when I'm a legit Diamond at best.

It's better for devs/publishers too, more gamers to sell to and more investment in content or games being made. This part holds true for single/offline games too.

EDIT: Back in the day exclusive games made creative use of hardware features to really provide unique experiences e.g. Mario Kart or Mario 64 or 4 player multitap or Sony brining CD-ROM or Xbox going with XBL. These days the playing field is so even who gives a shit.

Last edited:

Fbh

I want more proper exclusives.
Sony/MS/Nintendo using their first party studios to bring their A game and trying to outdo each other.

What I don't want is Sony/MS/Nintendo just going to third parties and paying them to not release their games on other systems

KàIRóS

Don't care but at the same time I wish there were more games that use the special features of each controller, like nobody uses the features of the Touch Pad on the ps4/ps5 controller or the motion controls of the Joy Cons for the Switch.

Kilau

Sony/MS/Nintendo using their first party studios to bring their A game and trying to outdo each other.

What I don't want is Sony/MS/Nintendo just going to third parties and paying them to not release their games on other systems
This Up Here GIF by Chord Overstreet

Robb

Gold Member
Don’t really care, what I want more of is games optimized to make the most out of the systems and use their unique features for cool stuff.

For better or worse that usually only happens when the games are exclusive to the platform.

reinking

Gold Member

...but what about companies buying third parties and absorbing them to not release their games on other systems? That is where it looks like we are heading.

I don't care either way about exclusives. How they become exclusive doesn't matter to me either because the end result is the same. Not sure why people get hung up on that part of the equation. Exclusives have been a part of the industry since forever and will remain part of it in the future. The only control I have over it is to buy the platform the games are available on if I want to play them. That is why I have always been, and will most likely always be, a multi-console/PC owner.

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
Doesn't really matter since I usually buy one of every console. Each one always has something to make it special.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum

I agree, there nothing wrong with first party exclusive, its good for consoles. I just dont care the ones that are paid to be be exclusives. I'm SUPER hyped for FFXVI, but did that game really needed to be exclusive? I think not.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
More. Always want more. If it wasn't for exclusives, there would be no reason for me to own both the Xbox Series X and PlayStation 5 consoles.

kikkis

after ps4 gen, i realized I don't really care much about sonys story driven 3rd person games or whatever microsoft puts out. Most of my favorite games are multiplatform games so I just went with series x.

Rykan

I believe there should be fewer exclusives in the gaming industry. In an ideal world, every game would be available on every single platform.

As a video game fan, I believe we should be able to choose the platform we want to play on based on its hardware and services, without having to worry about missing out on certain games. It's frustrating to recommend a game to a friend or coworker only to disappoint them because they don't own the right system.

It's absurd that I have to buy a PS5 and an Xbox console just to access their exclusive lineup. I already own hardware capable of playing these games, and it's a waste of money and resources to have to spend another $500 on nearly identical hardware just because of exclusivity licensing.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I think it’s smooth development can be accredited to just being a PS5 game at launch tbh.
To me that has more to do with Creative Business Unit III having great project management rather than because it was exclusive. FFVIIR was also exclusive but it had development problems even tho they were working with very familiar UE engine.

Poltz

To me that has more to do with Creative Business Unit III having great project management rather than because it was exclusive. FFVIIR was also exclusive but it had development problems even tho they were working with very familiar UE engine.
FF7R was rebooted. You don’t think having to optimise for PC and Xbox would have added time?

They're good for business but people should be able to play on whatever console they prefer. I personally dislike the PS pad (bc of the symmetrical sticks lol) so I never play shooters on PS5. As a result I never got into killzone games. I would've been more inclined to give the MP a shot if they were on Xbox.

...but what about companies buying third parties and absorbing them to not release their games on other systems? That is where it looks like we are heading.

I don't care either way about exclusives. How they become exclusive doesn't matter to me either because the end result is the same. Not sure why people get hung up on that part of the equation. Exclusives have been a part of the industry since forever and will remain part of it in the future. The only control I have over it is to buy the platform the games are available on if I want to play them. That is why I have always been, and will most likely always be, a multi-console/PC owner.
I think that the way the industry works will take care of that.
More now than ever we are seeing talented people breaking off to start their own studios.
If the bigger publishers become more consolidated, the more new studios will spring up behind that.
These guys have the ability to use the best game engine there is in UE5 free to start, they will get backing from either MS, Nintendo, Sony etc to help them build up their studio.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
More. They are straight up better quality.

How can anyone see the amount of unfinished and ugly games releasing nowadays and think, "yea, I think the more platforms these devs have to work on, the better".

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Less exclusives please. Even on PC I hate exclusives even though all I gotta do is download the stupid launcher to play them.

ryzen1

As long as the games don't lose quality because of that, I don't care at all on which platform they release.

SeraphJan

If that game would not exist at all due to first party pitch, then yeah, why not. Good example, Demon's Souls Remake, or else people would either need to play at 720p/30fps on a PS3, or hassle with RPCS3, not to mention Demon's Souls Remake was so much enjoyable to play than the original both in terms of graphic and load time

If that game was planned to be made for multiplatform, but was made an exclusive deal to stay on one platform, that would be stupid

Last edited:

Varteras

Gold Member
I think that the way the industry works will take care of that.
More now than ever we are seeing talented people breaking off to start their own studios.
If the bigger publishers become more consolidated, the more new studios will spring up behind that.
These guys have the ability to use the best game engine there is in UE5 free to start, they will get backing from either MS, Nintendo, Sony etc to help them build up their studio.

Have to agree here. I'm not all that concerned about industry consolidation. We are seeing tons of studios with veteran talent and plenty of funding popping up. Some of them will almost certainly be responsible for the next big thing in gaming. The industry seems pretty resilient to too much being under one roof.

Daneel Elijah

Gold Member
I voted more exclusives. But this is for when there is a gain for both parties. Fall guys and high on life are example where the studios used the console advantages to their benefits.
Pentiment and Bayonetta are what happen when the money is what those studios needed to be able to exist. The we have on paper exclusivities. Tomb raider was harmed by its exclusivity. They would have been better of day one on both consoles. Games like Callisto protocol and Hogwart legacy, with the marketing deals, have benefits for one side and negatives for the other side. With AAA games making up to 5 years or more, you can find games locked with doomed consoles that should have been multiplatform in retrospect.
The reality is that the console business is a lefr over of the times where having a PC is a rarity and being a gamer seen as a kid's occupation. As good as we have it now, allowing games on PC will allow for more games to be out and the ones that want high quality to have that. Imagine all of Sony games on PC day one, with their games not limited by consoles weak hardware? I prefer the present system but it will be harder to sustain especially when online offerings like stadia will proliferate in the future. I consider that like the cinema situation at the beginning of Hollywood, where cinema studios had their cinemas chains with had only their films to show. The US stopped that and it was better in the long run. If Sony can found the way to maintain the benefits of their walled garden with Day one on PC we will have the best of both worlds. Nintendo is so behind in that aspect that their games are better played in emulation than the real deal sometimes...

Exclusives were only an interesting concept when you had differentiated hardware. Switch is almost gimmicky enough to justify exclusives but not quite. The Sony and MS PC-in-a-Boxes sure as hell don't.

Alan Wake

I like exclusives because they differentiate the consoles from each other. But exclusives doesn't make as much sense anymore as they did in, say, the 90s when consoles where more unique and an exclusive game could potentially take advantage of that special advantage one console might have had over the other. Today there is virtually no difference between an Xbox and a PlayStation, apart from the controller. The exception being Nintendo's consoles which, for better or worse, remains unique.

I expect less and less exclusive third party titles.

Lasha

I can't fathom wanting more exclusives. It's irrational to want barriers between products as a consumer. One should want more options to play not fewer.

GenericUser

xbox and playstation are so close in terms of technical capabilities, that it doesn't make sense to me to exclude one or the other from getting a specific game. My general rule of thumb is: the more platforms a game is available on, the better for the gamers. It sucks that people have to buy an entire system just to play a specific game. The only people that benefit from that are the millionaires in the big corporations, that don't give a flying fuck about us gamers anyway.

Top Bottom