• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Does Adderall bring back the magic of gaming when its lost?

Loomy

Thinks Microaggressions are Real
Lucky you, i tried the demo for a bit but it just feel too much like dmc X sekiro for my taste.
That's exactly what sold me on it! Wish every game had demos like that so we could come to these realizations before we spend money on a game we don't enjoy.

poodaddy

Just because it's available by prescription and taken by tens of millions of Americans doesn't mean it's not hard drugs. See also: vicodin, xanax.
I was on various forms of Riddlin from the age of 4 to 17 for ADHD that was diagnosed very early. Essentially, my parents were bothered by my high levels of energy and activity. I went from being a kid that people were worried about as I was "under weight" to being morbidly obese and zonked out half the time. I ended up on antidepressants as well, it was all bad. Best thing I ever did for my health was dump all my Wellbutrin, Concerta, and Zoloft, (what I was on at the time), down the toilet and commit to fitness and better eating. That was at 17, took me another three years to lose the weight and get in shape, as I did it the smart way, through exercise and carefully managed caloric deficits, but I've never been able to restore those energy levels and that enthusiasm for life that I had as a kid, and I've tried everything imaginable.

Fast forward quite a few years and I've got a 12 year old girl who has as much energy and enthusiasm as I ever did, and you bet your ass I've got her in the gym three times a week, she's in band, she's in Chorus, she's in STEM. These drugs blunt our greatest asset man, they blunt the human lust for life, and sometimes if you blunt it enough it's almost impossible to repair it. I won't let that happen to my daughter.

Take care of your body folks, and don't assume that someone has your best interests at heart simply because they have a doctorate; these offices receive kickbacks from pharmaceutical companies for prescribing their products. Hell I met a doctor recently when I took my wife to the ER that told us you can wish cancer away with good attitude and positive thinking. Think critically, and remember the "appeal to authority" falacy. Anyone can be wrong, as we all are sometimes, or often in my case :).

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
I was on various forms of Riddlin from the age of 4 to 17 for ADHD that was diagnosed very early. Essentially, my parents were bothered by my high levels of energy and activity. I went from being a kid that people were worried about as I was "under weight" to being morbidly obese and zonked out half the time. I ended up on antidepressants as well, it was all bad. Best thing I ever did for my health was dump all my Wellbutrin, Concerta, and Zoloft, (what I was on at the time), down the toilet and commit to fitness and better eating. That was at 17, took me another three years to lose the weight and get in shape, as I did it the smart way, through exercise and carefully managed caloric deficits, but I've never been able to restore those energy levels and that enthusiasm for life that I had as a kid, and I've tried everything imaginable.

Fast forward quite a few years and I've got a 12 year old girl who has as much energy and enthusiasm as I ever did, and you bet your ass I've got her in the gym three times a week, she's in band, she's in Chorus, she's in STEM. These drugs blunt our greatest asset man, they blunt the human lust for life, and sometimes if you blunt it enough it's almost impossible to repair it. I won't let that happen to my daughter.

Take care of your body folks, and don't assume that someone has your best interests at heart simply because they have a doctorate; these offices receive kickbacks from pharmaceutical companies for prescribing their products. Hell I met a doctor recently when I took my wife to the ER that told us you can wish cancer away with good attitude and positive thinking. Think critically, and remember the "appeal to authority" falacy. Anyone can be wrong, as we all are sometimes, or often in my case :).
Yep, a kid sitting still in a chair listening to an imbecile school teacher for eight straight hours every day is the unnatural condition, not being restless when put there. The rest of the world doesn't medicate children to anywhere near the same degree as we do in the US.

We have an endless supply of billion dollar solutions looking for problems. And we're among the least healthy developed countries, both physically and mentally. It's not a coincidence.

Good on you for looking out for your kid.

Caffeine

No drugs will not take you to where u want to go. You need to disconnect from everything and just enjoy the games by just playing them.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
It's ok and normal to go through periods where no games interest you. Been there, done that. Take that time away from gaming and do something else. Don't drug yourself up thinking that will help because it wont.

I get some 10mg THC gummies and cut them in half. Eat 5mg around 6:00-7:00pm and it makes most games enjoyable. Then I get nice and sleepy around 11:00-12:00pm so I don't stay up all night.

Crayon

I.... have not tried it. I got a few to experiment with. Haven't used it since college (i had a prescription).

Then again, I've always been sensitive to it and I have no problem staying glued to a game. Probably better not to play around with amphetamines.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
True non-shitposting answer is just smoke weed. Hard drugs are hard for a reason. They never hit The same after the first few times, and should never be taken habitually. I smoke weed like every damn day, but hard shit should fall into either the "No," category, or the "like once a year," category. If you do it that way, lowered risk for addiction and low tolerance build up means better effects when used, but frankly, just smoke weed.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
GIF by South Park

Trilobit

I'm out of necessity on some of those medications you mentioned, but I didn't start until my twenties. I wish I would have started them in my teens as it would have spared me a lot of suffering. So things are not so clear cut.

But age 4 is too early in my opinion. You should be allowed to try other options like therapy or sports. Medications should only be taken when nothing else works and there is suffering. Medication can be the easy and lazy way for parents to calm down an unruly child.

Maybe you could grind a game disc into powder, arrange it into a line and then snort it. Might achieve some kind of "gaming high" that way.

For the record, I won't be held accountable if you go through with this option.

angelgs90

As others said, if you are feeling unwell look out for help.

Self-medicating will only make things worse in the long run.

Top Bottom