• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Does anyone else find themselves hoarding games for absolutely no reason

Ryck

It seems like everytime I buy a game lately It's with the thought "Oh this will be great on a rainy day" or " ahh I need to make time for this" Im working almost 60 hours a week Im planning a wedding and buying a house, I hardly ever have time to sit with a game and yet I continue to buy games that Im not going to play. Mostly budget titles and fry's deals.......

PhatSaqs

Banned
Nah. I never buy games just to put them on the shelf. I have bought games, played them briefly when I got home, and then shelved them until I had free time to get to them (or ebay them).

If you find yourself having little time to play games anymore and you're out of high school, I say pat yourself on the back and congrats for having a life :p.

Dr_Cogent

Banned
Ryck said:
Yesterday I bought Metal Gear Solid 2 for 2.99! 2.99!!!! how could I say no ?

But the question is, will you play it? :lol

Have a kid or two on top of that 60 hour work week, and watch all that game time go bye-bye!

open_mouth_

insert_foot_
Ryck said:
It seems like everytime I buy a game lately It's with the thought "Oh this will be great on a rainy day" or " ahh I need to make time for this" Im working almost 60 hours a week Im planning a wedding and buying a house, I hardly ever have time to sit with a game and yet I continue to buy games that Im not going to play. Mostly budget titles and fry's deals.......

lol, you just described my situation. There are times when I do find free time to play, but those are rare. I try to finish 1 or 2 games at a time and then move on. That works pretty well.

ToxicAdam

I had a bad year of doing this. I can't refuse games at 5 or 10 dollars. The worst part, it's usually games like ICO. Which everyone says is great, but I have no desire to play it. I should have never had bought it, but at 3 bucks it seemed like a steal. But there it sits on some anonymous shelf collecting dust unopened.

I still haven't opened Baten Kaitos, XIII, NHL Hitz, MGS2, Dark Cloud 2 (already rented it before), Metroid Prime, Star Ocean 3, etc etc. I really doubt I will ever have the time to play those games. There are too many great PC games that take up all of my free time.

Reilly

I just bought

Kingdom Hearts
Jak and Daxter
Sly Cooper
Ratchet & Clank

I was never interested in these games, but there is NOTHING to play right now during the summer.

cvxfreak

This was me basically in 2003 and 2004, but luckily 2005 has been a mellow year. I've bought no worthless games at all.

I just keeping buying games I think I'll enjoy. I am afraid the game won't be available as easily in a few years and I won't be able to get it. It's kinda dumb though since I have enough money to get whatever at it's inflated price.

ToxicAdam

I think the solution is to ban Wario so he stops alerting us about all these cheap games.

Never blame yourself, always find a scapegoat!

Ryck

Reilly said:
I just bought

Kingdom Hearts
Jak and Daxter
Sly Cooper
Ratchet & Clank

I was never interested in these games, but there is NOTHING to play right now during the summer.
LOL that almost my exact recent purchases

Kingdom Hearts $10 ( mostly for the wifey but I wanted it too)
Jak II $10
Ratchet & Clank 2 $10
Socom II $10
Mgs 2 $3
Gta 3 $5

( and I've been looking for sly cooper cheap)

Dr_Cogent

Banned
I need to find a new copy of Spider-Man 2 for real cheap dammit!

It's not a horde though, I would actually play it. My 2 year old freakin loves Spider-Man and loves watching and trying to play it. The copy my uncle owns, who is finally moving out, is going in about a week or so. Dammit!

Reilly

Ryck said:
LOL that almost my exact recent purchases

Kingdom Hearts $10 ( mostly for the wifey but I wanted it too)
Jak II $10
Ratchet & Clank 2 $10
Socom II $10
Mgs 2 $3
Gta 3 $5

( and I've been looking for sly cooper cheap)

yeah, but are yours the originals? :D

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
Yes and it's made me very unhappy... last week I tried to start a few games I had laying around for awhile include the first Prince of Persia, Front Mission 4, etc... and I just couldn't get in to any of them... very depressing.

robot

I bought Shadow Ops and Second Sight and I'm not really sure why except that they were $10. I also had to convince myself not to add PoP: WW and Robotech to my checkout pile.

Add this to the fact that I'm still playing Conker, Doom 3, and Destroy All Humans - what in the hell am I doing?

Doesnt Killer 7 come out today too?

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
I'm horrible with this. Especially with web sales. If there's 10 games for 9.99 that I have a small interest in...I'll order them. I'm taking steps to change this now.

Ranger X

Well, i'm not buying any game i won't play. But i don't have time to finish all of them lately and my backlog is at an all time high.
I have a couple of NES games and N64 i bought lately. Those are "in-betweens" when i have more time for gaming. If not i'm 5 to 10 games per console behind compared to my purchase wich gives me a backlog of more or less 20 games right now.
I'm working 65 hours a week since the last 2-3 months but there's less interesting games coming out this year so i'll probably be able to kill my 2004 backlog before the end of 2005.

Razoric

Banned
I had the same problem as you only worse... I was hoarding games that range from $20 - $60 (collectors editions). And to make matters worse is, while I do have a full-time job, a full-time girlfriend and full-time friends I still have a good bit of free time to play games yet when I do it's almost ALWAYS computer games. I mean come on I just come home with 2 brand new Xbox games and I sit at the comp and boot up another game of Warcraft 3.

So for now I've cut myself off from buying non-big name console games that cost over $20. I've upgraded my computer and I'm gonna mess around with WoW, GW and BF2 until a console game appeals to me again (probably get Zelda, FFXII at full price). I dunno what the deal is but I get so much more out of my computer games than console games.

Tarazet

Yeah, it's never my intention of course but it often turns out that way. It's gotten to the point that I don't even open games up until I know that I have the willpower to spend significant time with them. One thing that is helping me is renting; I activated one of those BB unlimited-rental deals for a month and sampled every title for the GC I was interested in for one day. More recently I rented a few games for the PSP using a gift card before buying Hot Shots Golf, and now that I've rented Psychonauts, I know that I will buy it once the price is right.

(This is totally separate from the sealed copies of Nippon Ichi RPGs that I'm saving to resell at Christmas.)

Apenheul

I'm facing rediculous deadlines this summer so I won't touch anything besides a handheld game when on the move for now. But I'm still buying games like there's no tomorrow (at full price even), I don't want to miss anything when I finally have some spare time again.

Hah! I just bought four games I'll likely never play. Didn't even bother to open them. And I'm looking for more titles on the cheap. You're not alone!

Razoric

Banned
Apenheul said:
I'm facing rediculous deadlines this summer so I won't touch anything besides a handheld game when on the move for now. But I'm still buying games like there's no tomorrow (at full price even), I don't want to miss anything when I finally have some spare time again.

Problem with that line of thinking (which, in the past I have done as well) is that if you buy a game at full price and shelve it due to outside life stuff, by the time you get back to it the game may have dropped in price $10, 20 possibly even $30.

Unless it's some rare RPG (ala Suikoden series) or some weird limited release game, why not just buy it when you are ready to play it? You could save yourself a LOT of money that way.

Also if you are scared you'll "forget" about the game by the time you get some game time in, why not just make an Amazon.com / Ebgames.com / etc wishlist and buy them as you play them?

Link316

Banned
used to hoard, just buy a game cause it was $20, etc... I'm still hoarding but I'm more picky now, also gotten rid of all those hoarded games that I didn't actually want

FiRez

Don't you even open it, to know how the manual and discs looks like?

jeez, It must be because I don't live in USA so I need to order my games online, but I can feel the anticipation when I get the confirmation of shipping or the track number :)

Hoarder of a bunch of games that I think I'll play at some point
+ No time to play
+ Completionist
------------------------
LOL.

Problem is, when I had my N64, I tended to start a game but never play through to the end because something else would come along that I would get caught up in. So this generation, I decided from the beginning that I would play through each game fully before starting the next one (unless the game is more or less a pick up and play sort of game. For instance, Burnout falls into this category, Metroid Prime does not.) Unfortunately, that has lead me to the current situation where I'm likely 3/4 done with WindWaker, but with minimal time to put towards the game, I've been at it for probably over 6 months.

What frustrates me even more? I'm a completionist at heart, and I've come to realize that I can't take all the photos I need in Zelda in order to get all the Nintendo Figurines... AHHH!!!!

Razoric

Banned
FiRez said:
Don't you even open it, to know how the manual and discs looks like?

jeez, It must be because I don't live in USA so I need to order my games online, but I can feel the anticipation when I get the confirmation of shipping or the track number :)

Ahh but see that's another weird thing that I did.

If I bought a game I knew I wasn't going to play I would NOT open it. I wanted to play it "new" when I finally got around to playing it. Oh and I NEVER buy used games. :O

No reason? Psch. I paid my hard-earned money for these things. That's reason enough to keep them right-the-fuck where they are. I'll let go of the odd title that I just don't want anymore or find a good trade for, though.

Kingpen

I have found myself in the same predicament... I had bought a ton of games during grad school and working full time, and had no time to play them. I only have about 30 games between 2 systems, but already feel like that is a lot.... So I decided that I wasn't going to jump on the xbox 360 at launch and finish my backlot. Heck there are some games coming out this fall that I know I won't be able to resist buying. This has helped me to curb spending a lot of money on new games....

I'll probably hold off on the PS3 until they have the first price drop unless I can get it as a Xmas present or something as well.

I just recently discovered one of my shelved games, Winning Eleven 8, and it has sucked all the time away from other games..... I should be good with my backlog

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Yeah, I've toned down my purchasing habits, but I'm still buying way too many games. What keeps happening is that I'll get a game and play it for a few hours, and then something else comes out and I don't touch the previous game again. My backlog is overflowing with games. I've thought about just getting rid of a huge chunk of my collection and starting over again with the coming generation instead.

Ranger X

We should buy only the game that we REALLY REALLY LIKE. The rest can be rented if you absolutely want to play. Not necessarily easy to do but it's a nice discipline to devellop.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
I buy cheap games because they're cheap, even though I know I'll never play them.

Johnas

I find that this problem has somewhat worsened for me after coming to Gaming-Age on a regular basis. Not because of time I spend here, but that I'll hear a few people talking about Game X and how awesome it is, then I say crap I gotta check that game out. Right now I have about 25 or so games that I really want to complete, there's just so little time though.

Master

Banned
Ryck said:

I too can't stop. I should post pics of my setup to emphasize my point. My pile of shame just keeps getting bigger, and the amount of time I have to play games keeps getting less and less.

I need to lose my legs in a horrible accident one of these days and be stuck on bedrest for like 2 years. Then I might have a shot.

Top Bottom