• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Does anyone else find themselves hoarding games for absolutely no reason

Seth C said:
That's nothing. I bought it for $5 and I don't even like Metal Gear.

I wasn't too fond of the original, but I keep trying to convince myself to pretend to like it.

Nah, actually, I don't really give a shit. I bought it cuz it makes my PS2 library larger. Pure and simple.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Wyzdom said:
We should buy only the game that we REALLY REALLY LIKE. The rest can be rented if you absolutely want to play. Not necessarily easy to do but it's a nice discipline to devellop.

I only bought games I REALLY REALLY LIKED, it would probably be like two or three titles a year, if even that.

Hmm...that's not a bad idea come to think of it. :lol

I'm on a quest to track down a copy of Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne. As much as I want to, who knows if I will ever actually play it.

Seth C

I can't wait till the new consoles launch. I'll be sure to buy 5-6 games for each system at launch, of which perhaps 2 games will really be worth buying. Awesome!

CVXFREAK said:
This was me basically in 2003 and 2004, but luckily 2005 has been a mellow year.
^

I'm pretty bad about games that might go rare, though. I just picked up SMT: DDS and I'm not even close to being done with SMT:N yet...

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
Lyte Edge said:
I only bought games I REALLY REALLY LIKED, it would probably be like two or three titles a year, if even that.

Hmm...that's not a bad idea come to think of it. :lol

You know, whenver there are those dumb threads about how much you've spent on games this year I admire those people who list 5 or less games. You know their getting their money worth. I've really been thinking differently about what to pick up and how.

I fall into the category of hoarder/completionist.
I bought Fzero GX 2 years ago, and I've got maybe 10 endings left to get and 10 staff ghosts left to beat. I can relate with the guy who couldn't complete all of his figurine collection, as i've tried 3 times and still miss one accidentally each time. My backlog is just monstrous. How do people deal with it?

MoxManiac

Circuit City sale added more games I don't have time for to the shelf. Damn you CC, damn you and your poor inventory management and crazy sales!

Yeah, definitely me. Mostly I've been spending it on rare Saturn and SEGA CD games on Ebay. But being handicapped I get money from SSI and not having a wife, kids, apartment, etc. Means I get to spend it on whatever I want.

_Angelus_

Banned
Outside of a used copy of GTASA I've stopped buying games that go over 20 dollars now. Mainly because I've reached my limit of going over more than 5 games to play backlogged.
But yes it can become an obsession buying one game after another. Sometimes I hate even going to the mall because old habbits are hard to break when I visit game stores. I usually pick up a copy of Play magazine instead, or perhaps a new control pad for one of my consoles.

Ryck said:
It seems like everytime I buy a game lately It's with the thought "Oh this will be great on a rainy day" or " ahh I need to make time for this" Im working almost 60 hours a week Im planning a wedding and buying a house, I hardly ever have time to sit with a game and yet I continue to buy games that Im not going to play. Mostly budget titles and fry's deals.......

what?

ToxicAdam said:
I had a bad year of doing this. I can't refuse games at 5 or 10 dollars. The worst part, it's usually games like ICO. Which everyone says is great, but I have no desire to play it. I should have never had bought it, but at 3 bucks it seemed like a steal. But there it sits on some anonymous shelf collecting dust unopened.

I still haven't opened Baten Kaitos, XIII, NHL Hitz, MGS2, Dark Cloud 2 (already rented it before), Metroid Prime, Star Ocean 3, etc etc. I really doubt I will ever have the time to play those games. There are too many great PC games that take up all of my free time.

I've been like this too... find pretty good quality games dirt cheap and I can't refuse them. I keep buying them because A) I wanted the game to begin with B) It was dirt cheap.

But after working 40+ hours a week I just sit down and workk on my baseball season and thats about it.... and the backlog just keeps growing.

firebricks3 said:
I fall into the category of hoarder/completionist.
I bought Fzero GX 2 years ago, and I've got maybe 10 endings left to get and 10 staff ghosts left to beat. I can relate with the guy who couldn't complete all of his figurine collection, as i've tried 3 times and still miss one accidentally each time. My backlog is just monstrous. How do people deal with it?

I gave up on completing games. If a game is short, or really REALLY good, I end up finishing it, but that’s about it. I purchased WAY to many games, and have far to little time to play them. So I decided that as long as I get some decent play time in with all of them, that’s ok. I don’t NEED to finish that nice RPG I bought, as long as I sink 20 hours or so into it, then I got my monies worth.

I had so many unfinished and unplayed games, I had to write a little program that randomly chooses a "game of the day" for me; it comes up when I start up Windows. That way I make sure that I at least play all of my games. ;)

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
The trap I keep falling in is buying up tons of console games but never even taking the shrink wrapping off of them because of freakin' MMOs on the PC. Luckily, after doing pretty much everything there is to do in WoW, I've overcome my PC dependancies and started in on my backlog. The only exception to this was when RE4 got released my life went on hold basically until I beat it. Game of the decade, no question.

To give you an idea of how bad it was, I opened "God of War" for the first time yesterday.

HCgamer

I own a bunch of games I do not play. I have a box full of Genesis games another one full of SNES games, one with N64 games and Dreamcast games, mostly games for classic systems that I got cheap. I stopped selling my old games I realized I eventually buy them back again so now I just store them until I get the urge to play them again. I busted out Resident Evil 2 for N64 thre days ago great fun. I do not own many games for the new systems but the ones I do own get played.

Normally i dont buy games just to shelf them for later. However, as long as I waited for Rise of the Kisai, its been unopened on my game rack for about 3 weeks. I've got a few games going i want to finish and i really haven't had alot of time. Oh, and my roomate's girlfriend got me a copy of Pandora Tomorrow at christmas, and i doubt ill ever even open it (never cared for Splinter Cell).

Dr_Cogent

Banned
I think a lot of you guys just need to get pickier about the games you buy. I only buy what I think are AAA titles myself and I won't buy a new game if I know I have too many to finish.

I have resisted buying Battlefield 2 simply because I can't justify it's purchase with all of the games I currently have to finish. I feel like a failure if I buy a game and don't finish it. I bought Fable and I just don't see myself finishing it now because I don't think it's all that great, but now I will have that guilty feeling that I didn't finish it. I just won't force myself to finish a game I don't care for though.

Yes, maybe I do miss a game here and there because I am just far too busy to get it, but it's no biggie. I have resigned to the fact that I can't play every game that looks interesting. As long as I am having fun, that's what counts.

[edited for spelling]

Ranger X

Dr_Cogent said:
I think a lot of you guys just need to get pickier about the games you buy. I only buy what I think are AAA titles myself and I won't buy a new game if I know I have too many to finish.

I have resisted buying Battlefield 2 simply because I can't justify it's purchase with all of the games I currently have to finish. I feel like a failure if I buy a game and don't finish it. I bought Fable and I just don't see myself finishing it now because I don't think it's all that great, but now I will have that guilty feeling that I didn't finish it. I just won't force myself to finish a game I don't care for though.

Yes, maybe I do miss a game here and there because I am just far too busy to get it, but it's no biggie. I have resigned to the fact that I can't play ever game that looks interesting. As long as I am having fun, that's what counts.

I think the same way as you here. But it still leads me into buying 1 or 2 games a month wich is still more play time than what my time allow me. ;(
With a PS2, GC + GBA player and a DS, there's always at the very least ONE AAA title a month.

Dr_Cogent said:

I have resisted buying Battlefield 2 simply because I can't justify it's purchase with all of the games I currently have to finish. I feel like a failure if I buy a game and don't finish it..

I think thats it exactly. I have really wanted to play BattleField 2, but I just have too many games currently going. Recently I started to feel bad because I have soo many games in indefinite "hold", and I decided not to buy anymore until I really finish some of them up.

Oldies just rapped up:
Wild arms 4
Red Dead revovler
Skies of Arcaida (DC)
MDK 2 (DC)

Oldies TO wrap up:
Star Ocean 2
RE code veronica (DC)
BoF 4
BoF 5 (I may have to restart totally)
LoK - DeFiance

bill0527

Not any more.

I broke that habit about a year or so ago.

I look at all the fucking money I wasted on games that I will never play or get around to even trying, and it makes me cry.

Get out of that habit and start saving for a new TV and a nice surround system. You're gonna need them next generation much worse than half the fucking unopened games sitting on your pile.

Top Bottom