• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Does GAF have pets?

Stafford

I didn't see a thread for this, and I did search for it. Do ya'll have pets? I have one, she's my everything. My fantastic lovely Staffy girl Lara. I can't begin to describe how amazingly she pulled me through my most difficult times.

I got her in April of 2018, a year that started horribly with the sudden death of my mother and my French Bulldog had reached her last stop, so to speak. Lara has been tremendous support, as I always say, without a dog life is not really all that. Super loyal, the biggest friend of humans you can imagine.

i1zYbUx.jpg

9Mb5KTj.jpg
SQGyWJo.jpg

0h3yrmW.jpg

Last edited:

Patrick S.

Banned
It broke me when my dog died when she was 13. I don't really want to go through that again.

Also, the dog would be alone 9 hours during work days, and that's nothing I want to do to a dog.

For the moment, I'm happy looking at the birds in the trees outside my house, I guess...

Artoris

Gold Member
It broke me when my dog died when she was 13. I don't really want to go through that again.

Also, the dog would be alone 9 hours during work days, and that's nothing I want to do to a dog.

For the moment, I'm happy looking at the birds in the trees outside my house, I guess...
If you get a rescue dog, you can still give them a better life than they would have without you

Doom85

If you don't like dogs, you don't have a soul plain and simple.

I don’t blindly love dogs, the owner better assure me they don’t bite or shit or otherwise I’m out of there unless they keep the dog in a room while I’m there or something.

Sorry, when you feel like you nearly died as a kid because your friend’s dog broke its chain and jumped you and who knows how bad it might have gotten if your friend’s older sister hadn’t been right there to pull the dog off you, that shit stays with you.

Honestly, it’s some people’s blind love of dogs that makes even more wary. Like they let their bias affect their judgment on what their pet could potentially do. I especially hate the whole, “don’t get nervous around them, and they won’t bite” nonsense some owners say. Dumbass motherfucker, if people could just switch off anxiety like that, no one on the planet would have anxiety!

Yes, it’s why I prefer cats. Cats can be assholes too, but they’re not potentially life-threatening assholes.

Also, my friend and his wife have a second dog who is so obnoxious. Like, there’s needy, and then there’s THIS. She also barely obeys commands even after well over a year of training. Their first dog quickly became well behaved, but not this one. They try to do shit in the basement as a lot of their things are down there and it’s more convenient for us all to hang out there as upstairs is a bit more cramped, but because the second dog is scared to go down stairs, she’ll just never stop whining loudly until they come back. They’ve flat out said they’ve grown sick of the second dog, but don’t want to give her to someone else because they’d feel guilty. Also, they have two cats who rarely cause issues (well, one has swiped at a friend twice, but that’s because the genius thought he could hold the cat in his arms for a while and ignore the cat clearly wanting to be let go after like 20 seconds).

A Pomeranian that thinks she's 300 pounds until a big dog walks up to sniff her, then she's a little girl who wants to hide behind my legs.

Also have 9 Rhode Island Red hens in the back yard, goofy-ass birds. I have a lawn chair in the pen, and half of them will be crawling all over me when I sit with them.

Stafford

I don’t blindly love dogs, the owner better assure me they don’t bite or shit or otherwise I’m out of there unless they keep the dog in a room while I’m there or something.

Sorry, when you feel like you nearly died as a kid because your friend’s dog broke its chain and jumped you and who knows how bad it might have gotten if your friend’s older sister hadn’t been right there to pull the dog off you, that shit stays with you.

Honestly, it’s some people’s blind love of dogs that makes even more wary. Like they let their bias affect their judgment on what their pet could potentially do. I especially hate the whole, “don’t get nervous around them, and they won’t bite” nonsense some owners say. Dumbass motherfucker, if people could just switch off anxiety like that, no one on the planet would have anxiety!

Yes, it’s why I prefer cats. Cats can be assholes too, but they’re not potentially life-threatening assholes.

Also, my friend and his wife have a second dog who is so obnoxious. Like, there’s needy, and then there’s THIS. She also barely obeys commands even after well over a year of training. Their first dog quickly became well behaved, but not this one. They try to do shit in the basement as a lot of their things are down there and it’s more convenient for us all to hang out there as upstairs is a bit more cramped, but because the second dog is scared to go down stairs, she’ll just never stop whining loudly until they come back. They’ve flat out said they’ve grown sick of the second dog, but don’t want to give her to someone else because they’d feel guilty. Also, they have two cats who rarely cause issues (well, one has swiped at a friend twice, but that’s because the genius thought he could hold the cat in his arms for a while and ignore the cat clearly wanting to be let go after like 20 seconds).

I can assure you if you were to meet Lara you'd be sold, so to speak. She adores humans, so unless you give off some extremely vile and evil energy, she'd likely roll over and demand belly rubs. That's my Staffy.

Such an amazing dog breed, sadly gotten a bad image because of shit ass people who never should have gotten a dog. But as with all things in life, always pay attention as dog owner, we will never 100% understand them, and that's why I certainly won't just let her off the leash and meet every single dog we see outside, because you never know how the other dog might react. Too many people DO do this and it's not good.

Puscifer

How long was it before you could have memories that were pleasant? My baby boy died at 8 and it was the 2nd most devastating thing in my life and often I feel responsible because I was thinking we should just go to the vet that day for a checkup. The hours leading up to him dying are my biggest regret, I could've saved him or at the very least, made his final hours painless and peaceful.

I know this breed has problems but I adopted him, gave him a great life and we were inseparable. But the work I did nursing him back to good health attached is us to the hip. I seriously thought about cloning him because I sold my house and then it hit me he would be a totally different pet.

Guess what I'm saying is I understand and I'm sorry and I get never wanting to own another pet

Screenshot-20230712-213251-2.png

Last edited:

Nydius

I officially have one cat. She's 13 and I'm a bit concerned for her at the moment because she's been diagnosed with feline hyperesthesia syndrome (something I had never heard of until last month) and the vet is struggling to figure out a treatment plan. She's constantly licking a spot bald. This is her:

qnvppYQ.jpg

There are also two abandoned neighborhood stray cats who seem to think they belong to me. They just showed up here one day and now they spend most of their time laying in my carport. If I could get them to be less skittish about being inside and let me get them to the vet, I'd try to take them in. But they only hang out with me on their own terms.

v7SsGbp.jpg

Last edited:

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
Five cats, four in one house, one in the other

FdtcKB4.jpg
Mm8OolH.jpg
42FYyL0.jpg
EIutfiZ.jpg
LXivBe1.jpg

Recently we've had this crafty bastard turn up looking for food everyday. Another stray round the area that wants in, dont be fooled by the collar, someone seems to have stuck that on him even though he lives in the bush and no one knows where he came from. So yeah, six cats.. I only wanted a Beagle :messenger_tears_of_joy:

xYn7wzE.jpg

Mr Hyde

I had two cats in the past, but they are dead now. My first one, Ozzy (after Osbourne of course) was such a sweet and cozy cat, who was always up for some cuddling. He also used to lie on the radiator because it was warm and nice. His favorite spot 😃 Unfortunately he got sick and stopped eating when was only 2 years old. I took him to the vet and they diagnosed him with some illness I can't remember the name of. They decided it was best to put him out. Cried like a little girl when I buried him in the woods.

A couple of years after that I got a second cat because I was feeling lonely. I named him Bruce after Bruce Dickinson in Iron Maiden. I got to enjoy his company a couple of more years than Ozzy, but unfortunately he was killed by a fucking asshole who ran the cat over with his car. He didn't stop or nothing. Just killed my little Brucey and took off. I was so gutted after that that I haven't gotten myself anymore pets. I can't handle the loss of another one of my furry friends. At least not at the moment. Maybe when I'm retired and old.

Last edited:
I had two cats in the past, but they are dead now. My first one, Ozzy (after Osbourne of course) was such a sweet and cozy cat, who was always up for some cuddling. He also used to lie on the radiator because it was warm and nice. His favorite spot 😃 Unfortunately he got sick and stopped eating when was only 2 years old. I took him to the vet and they diagnosed him with some illness I can't remember the name of. They decided it was best to put him out. Cried like a little girl when I buried him in the woods.

A couple of years after that I got a second cat because I was feeling lonely. I named him Bruce after Bruce Dickinson in Iron Maiden. I got to enjoy his company a couple of more years than Ozzy, but unfortunately he was killed by a fucking asshole who ran the cat over with his car. He didn't stop or nothing. Just killed my little Brucey and took off. I was so gutted after that that I haven't gotten myself anymore pets. I can't handle the loss of another one of my furry friends. At least not at the moment. Maybe when I'm retired and old.
so sorry :( RIP Ozzy and Bruce.

after my cats passed away it broke my fucking heart but they all lived a long life. i can't imagine what you went through.

nemiroff

Gold Member
Had two dogs. Then one cat. Now we have two nice kittens (brothers, intended to take only one but we didn't want to separate them).

Mr Hyde

so sorry :( RIP Ozzy and Bruce.

after my cats passed away it broke my fucking heart but they all lived a long life. i can't imagine what you went through.

Thanks. It was a rough time, especially with Bruce. I think about them a lot from time to time. Pets can give you so much love but you also have to deal with the sadness that can come when getting emotionally attached to an animal. I wasn't equipped for that and thought they would live a long life without any issues, which made their deaths just too much to handle.

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Fucking hell.

Well described. Although the heroin laced water keeps him afloat. The by montly barbie doll insertion is far from hellish. Or rather in his mind. On those occasions I'll put some poppers in his his water and see his suppressed, boiled up sexual energy manifest.

it's quite the sight believe me.

On his birthday I put in 6 barbies and some crumbled oreos while playing the top 100 90's music playlist.

Mossybrew

Happily pet free for many years now. I say No Thanks to the hassle and responsibility. No thanks to paying for food, vet visits, cleaning up an animal's shit, etc etc etc.

Top Bottom