• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

| DOOM Eternal OT | : Dragged Ripping & Tearing Into The New Decade!

#Phonepunk#

Banned
Aw dang this game is so good

Like that first moment you touch down and there is a skyscraper in front of you and a giant demon in the sky. Daaaaamn

Last edited:
Read this has a 5GB day one patch.

Are there any AAA games released today without requiring day one (especially big) patches?

Last edited:

hollams

Gold Member
Seems there is a bug using HDR on PC, the automap is very dark and almost unusable. If I turn off HDR the map is fine but I'm not playing with it off the game looks too good with it on.

Port of Doom 64 is excellent by the way. Bought the switch version for like, $2 with a discount, since that's where I get my retro doom fix! It's got anti-aliasing options, field of view options, the ability to change the colour of enemy blood and the ability to take the blurry graphics filter off. Nightdive did a fantastic job!

Last edited:
Game looks great and runs great. No problems with locked 60 fps, not a single dropped frame ever, on a 1080 Ti with Ultra Nightmare settings in 4K Native and scaling disabled. This is how you optimize a PC game, other studios. The Carmack may be gone, but the unsleeping tech wizardry that has long made Id Software famous remains to this day.

I can't wait to see what the ray-tracing engine will look like. Hopefully they'll add the RT support around when Ampere drops.

Arkage

Banned
Got this on Xbone X due to wanting it on the big screen with surround but Christ, using a controller really sucks balls for this twitchy game.

ZehDon

Gold Member
Glad to hear y'all are enjoying it, but I just submitted my refund request. Broke my heart. DOOM 2016 was my GOTY. This just didn't click with me at all. From the moment I hit the main screen, something felt off. From the whack-as-fuck "introduction", to the games incessant need to pause and explain rudimentary functionality every few steps, this just didn't work for me in the ways it needed to and was I bored before the first level ended. I think I might just replay 2016 and pick this up in a Christmas sale for a couple of bucks. Have fun folks!

AndrewRyan

Game looks great and runs great. No problems with locked 60 fps, not a single dropped frame ever, on a 1080 Ti with Ultra Nightmare settings in 4K Native and scaling disabled. This is how you optimize a PC game, other studios. The Carmack may be gone, but the unsleeping tech wizardry that has long made Id Software famous remains to this day.

Same here.. runs buttery smooth at 1440p/120fps VRR on a 2080s. Even smoother than 2016! Haven't messed with the settings too much but it's looking and feeling incredible. Id Software are indeed gods of the game engine!

For single player put Steam in Offline mode and you can bypass the Bethesda account creation/login shakedown.

Glad to hear y'all are enjoying it, but I just submitted my refund request. Broke my heart. DOOM 2016 was my GOTY. This just didn't click with me at all. From the moment I hit the main screen, something felt off. From the whack-as-fuck "introduction", to the games incessant need to pause and explain rudimentary functionality every few steps, this just didn't work for me in the ways it needed to and was I bored before the first level ended. I think I might just replay 2016 and pick this up in a Christmas sale for a couple of bucks. Have fun folks!

The pauses and tutorials are short and only in the first part of the game, and when presenting new weapons. But if you're not feeling it, you're not feeling it! That's one of Steam's great features - hassle free refunds for any reason.

xrnzaaas

Oh come on, every single game displays tutorial messages these days and you can turn everything off (including hud) in the options if you want to.

Personally I was only annoyed with tutorials before boss fights. The game literally tells you how to attack & defend every single time there's a new boss (I was playing on normal) instead of letting you figure out what to do. But again - this can be turned off.

Last edited:

TwiztidElf

Ehhhh. That first stage level and enemy design is not good. And it's all corridor. Can't even compare to anything in '16.
Hoping things improve from here.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Got this on Xbone X due to wanting it on the big screen with surround but Christ, using a controller really sucks balls for this twitchy game.
Doesn’t Xbox have mouse and keyboard support? Might be on a game-by-game basis though.

Dacon

Banned
I don't have any money for this, but I'd like to inquire anyway. Does anyone here have a 2060? How does the game run on it?

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
Recommended graphical settings? Turn off film grain? I never played with any of that on Doom 2016

Sygma

Combat finally clicked for me in Nightmare, I love how dash is actually the one thing you really can't afford to waste and how you ABSOLUTELY can't let Arachnotrons shoot you either

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Recommended graphical settings? Turn off film grain? I never played with any of that on Doom 2016
turn motion blur to low
sharpness max
filmgrain off
chromatic aberration off
stupid DoF blur off

gsync? turn off vsync
otherwise turn it to dynamic or whatever it's called

SCB3

Anyone else getting Frequesnt Crashes?

I've done all I can think to stop it, latest drivers, settings on High and reinstalled

Any ideas?

Gerdav

Sorry if this has been answered just bought it digitally, but is it recommended playing through Doom 2016 first which is on game pass before playing this? Or should I just jump straight in.

Tareskog

Sorry if this has been answered just bought it digitally, but is it recommended playing through Doom 2016 first which is on game pass before playing this? Or should I just jump straight in.
Just jump straight in. Doom 2016 is amazeballs, but story wise there is no reason to play it before Eternal.

Kev Kev

been spending too much money recently...

must...

resist...

thumb_buy-it-buy-ttnow-phiomemegenerator-net-buy-it-buy-it-now-49357926.png

FFUUUUUCCCKK!!!!!

Xdrive05

Hope it didn't catch the virus

Cacodemons, yo. They the carony.

This game is really something. It puts you in direct control of the outcomes. When you die you know it’s because you didn’t manage the resources, or just didn’t execute on your timing like you should have. It’s like a hyper fast paced Dark Souls or something.

That Hugo Martin fella is going places.

Last edited:
Honestly? I WOULD play 2016 before Eternal. The way they establish the lore and story in that game gets built on big time in this game. Plus, I think it'd be harder to go back and play 2016 after this as they made so many great improvements that it might feel a bit slow. If you start at 2016 though you won't even notice.

Last edited:

Shantae

Banned
I've only played through the first 2 main stages (in so much that I've seen clear screens only twice really). I'm already hating some of the platforming stuff. I got to a part where stupid enemies were throwing projectiles at me, and I wasn't sure how to get where I was going, so I kept getting my health slowly knocked down, while I was trying to figure out the path of these stupid falling platform jumps. Ended up losing the 2 extra lives I had that would have come in handy for the next encounter I had -_-.

I'm also not feeling the whole combat that much. I'm just kinda bored, because at some point it doesn't feel like skill. It feels like luck to me. Luck that I won't get swarmed by stupid little enemies while I'm trying to take out the big ones. The game is going for a feel like the original Doom games with the number of enemies coming at you, and that's something I thought I would appreciate, but the level design doesn't support that. You got so many climbable ledges that you can't see around, while in the old Doom games, everything was so flat that you could see all the enemies so you knew what you were up against. Here I feel like I'm always being surprised and killed super fast by piss ant enemies that I didn't realize were there.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Port of Doom 64 is excellent by the way. Bought the switch version for like, $2 with a discount, since that's where I get my retro doom fix! It's got anti-aliasing options, field of view options, the ability to change the colour of enemy blood and the ability to take the blurry graphics filter off. Nightdive did a fantastic job!
Yeah, i am super impressed by the lighting or overall work Nightdive did. Everyone should check it out if they’re interested.

Last edited:
So, just platinumed Doom 2016 while I wait for Royal Mail to deliver my copy of Doom Eternal. First time they've ever delivered something late in the day for me!

Skyr

8h in so far. It's definitely tougher than DOOM 2016 on nightmare. You really have to combine all the gameplay mechanics to survive and there a lot of them.

I've only played through the first 2 main stages (in so much that I've seen clear screens only twice really). I'm already hating some of the platforming stuff. I got to a part where stupid enemies were throwing projectiles at me, and I wasn't sure how to get where I was going, so I kept getting my health slowly knocked down, while I was trying to figure out the path of these stupid falling platform jumps. Ended up losing the 2 extra lives I had that would have come in handy for the next encounter I had -_-.

I'm also not feeling the whole combat that much. I'm just kinda bored, because at some point it doesn't feel like skill. It feels like luck to me. Luck that I won't get swarmed by stupid little enemies while I'm trying to take out the big ones. The game is going for a feel like the original Doom games with the number of enemies coming at you, and that's something I thought I would appreciate, but the level design doesn't support that. You got so many climbable ledges that you can't see around, while in the old Doom games, everything was so flat that you could see all the enemies so you knew what you were up against. Here I feel like I'm always being surprised and killed super fast by piss ant enemies that I didn't realize were there.
That's kind of the whole point of the game. The enemies are just as dangerous as you but as long as you have the skill to understand their weakness and strengths you can 'on the fly' plan out the best way to take them on.

Just wait till some of ya'll get to the third slayer gate. It's gonna be like...What? That?!!!!!!!!!!!!WHAT!!!!MORE!!!!!

Last edited:

wvnative

First of all, this is my own fault, i was born with a muscle wasting disease that severely cripples all aspects of the body. But i have always persevered with video games, for the most part. I struggled with Doom 2016, but i did manage to beat it. The devs made it clear this one would be harder, so i dunno why i went ahead and bought it.

Game has me slightly depressed, even on easy mode, it is ENTIRELY too fast paced for me. this is insane. I CANNOT PHYSICALLY KEEP UP. I get really tired halfway through a battle. I really wish easy mode just slowed the game down to more 2016 speed.

To be clear, I ain't criticizing the game, its well made, lots of layers to the combat, its just overwhelming me. :(

First of all, this is my own fault, i was born with a muscle wasting disease that severely cripples all aspects of the body. But i have always persevered with video games, for the most part. I struggled with Doom 2016, but i did manage to beat it. The devs made it clear this one would be harder, so i dunno why i went ahead and bought it.

Game has me slightly depressed, even on easy mode, it is ENTIRELY too fast paced for me. this is insane. I CANNOT PHYSICALLY KEEP UP. I get really tired halfway through a battle. I really wish easy mode just slowed the game down to more 2016 speed.

To be clear, I ain't criticizing the game, its well made, lots of layers to the combat, its just overwhelming me. :(
That's a bummer to hear. I empathize with ya. What platform are you playing on?

Xbox One X
Not sure what you think, but in the options or social or whatever if you add 3 people who are playing the game too, you will share XP. Which may make it so that you can unlock some of the better skills that could help alleviate some of the issues. Though, you are right, the game is crazy fast and there isn't much other than getting better at it that anyone can do.

Top Bottom