• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOOM Franchise Community Thread: That's one doomed space marine!

Nerdkiller

Membeur

Raptomex

I'll still love Brutal Doom even if he acts like a fuckhead. I didn't realize he was banned from the zdoom and Zandronum communities. It sounds like he's an ignorant teen or "young adult" or at least he acts like it. It's sad because he has some talent.

Been playing Doom for the first time (on my iPhone no less, which took a little getting used to). Unsurprisingly this game is as amazing as everyone has said it is. Just got to the third episode.

Shoutouts to the titular Doom Community at Bethesda's E3 stage show!!

http://www.vg247.com/2015/06/05/fallout-4-doom-battlecry-bethesda-e3/

Thursday, June 18

11:00am PT - DOOM: id Software’s Marty Stratton sits down for a special interview that dives into DOOM’s strong community and the developer’s plans for getting players involved.

Seems like a strong hint that neo Doom will feature a level editor and other modding tools. Or maybe it's a 2 hour discussion announcing that they're hiring the Brutal Doom guy since that's the only Doom community effort they've acknowledged lately??

ElTopo

Banned
Seems like a strong hint that neo Doom will feature a level editor and other modding tools.

Or maybe it's a 2 hour discussion announcing that they're hiring the Brutal Doom guy since that's the only Doom community effort they've acknowledged lately??

That would be really cool. It would be great to see another big publisher that isn't Valve embrace fan creations.

Or maybe it's a 2 hour discussion announcing that they're hiring the Brutal Doom guy since that's the only Doom community effort they've acknowledged lately??

giphy.gif

Ixion

I'm 20 levels into the total conversion of PSX Doom. I like this version a lot, maybe moreso than the vanilla version.

I'm 20 levels into the total conversion of PSX Doom. I like this version a lot, maybe moreso than the vanilla version.

PSX Doom was the first version I owned, as such I have a real fondness for it. The soundtrack on the PSX version is SO. GOOD. I downloaded a wad of it and put it in my PC steam version.

Raptomex

Is it available for download yet.
Indeed it is. It's on the Brutal Doom MODDB page.

Project Brutality
The PB settings are really cool. They affect enemy spawning and balance.
Spawn Presets- With the expanded arsenal and bestiary in Project Brutality, it is in YOUR hands to choose how you want your play-through to be. This will affect the type of weapons, items, and monsters that will spawn throughout the game world.

Dynamic Progression- This is the highly recommended spawn preset because it dynamically adjusts the spawning as you progress further through the game, guaranteeing the most balanced-paced experience. This means you’ll discover the more powerful and advanced weapons, items, and enemies as you beat more levels. This is the way Project Brutality was meant to be played.

Default Random- All weapons, enemies, items spawn in a “balanced” random fashion independent of what level the player is on

Brutal Doom Classic- Spawns strictly the monsters, items, and weapons you encounter in good ‘ole vanilla Brutal Doom

Alternative- Modified variant of “Default Random” that swaps enemy spawns more often

Tiers I, II, III, and IV- these are the individual spawn tiers of the “Dynamic Progression” spawn preset

Death Wish- This will guarantee to spawn the hardest monster variants you’ll encounter every time.

I've been playing using "Default Random" and I'm having a blast. The arsenal is really cool too. Imps will climb on ceilings and stuff.

It's a pretty ridiculous mod. I love it. It's kind of addicting. The features really add a ton of replayability.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Checked out the Project Brutality Mod for Brutal Doom 2.0. Really amazing. Balancing, new weapons, effects, features. Incredible, action-packed stuff.

I love the idea that some motherfucker has a helmet with a little LCD display that shows his own face in it. What the hell so dumb lol.

Edit:

Is that supposed to be an imp?

Raptomex

I love the idea that some motherfucker has a helmet with a little LCD display that shows his own face in it. What the hell so dumb lol.

Edit:

Is that supposed to be an imp?
You can turn off the mugshot and, yes, I believe it is an imp.
What is that hud, and how do I use it?
DoomVisor HUD. I love it.

Looks like PB was updated on June 19. I noticed a new default rifle skin. Looks awesome.

Woorloog

Banned
Bought Doom 3 from Steam and been playing it for the last few hours.

Now it is dark though since the sun barely sets here during summer, there's this creepy stripe of light sky... and there's this repetitive creepy mechanical sound somewhere outside. I have no idea what that sound is and considering it is Sunday-Monday night, i have no idea who'd be working at this hour...

Say what you say about Doom 3, it is undeniably atmospheric game even with the fridge-logic inducing monster closets.

A shame the shotgun's crap, it should have been an all-around utility weapon like in the original.

TheUncleBob

Neo Member
Seems like a good place to put this.

Those of us old folgies who remember when Doom was new... remember the CDs like D!Zone that came pre-loaded with "6,666 new levels for Doom"?

Does anyone know of anyone who had levels on one of these various compilations? Were they asked permission to have their level included and were they compensated in any way? Or did the publishers of these compilations pretty much just download all the .wad files they could find, throw 'em on a disc and call it a day?

Frenden

Banned

Those of us old folgies who remember when Doom was new... remember the CDs like D!Zone that came pre-loaded with "6,666 new levels for Doom"?

Does anyone know of anyone who had levels on one of these various compilations? Were they asked permission to have their level included and were they compensated in any way? Or did the publishers of these compilations pretty much just download all the .wad files they could find, throw 'em on a disc and call it a day?

I remember owning that, and several other, discs, but can't recall what the circumstances of inclusion were.

mokeyjoe

I'm pretty sure it was the latter. Many of those wads were kind of crappy too.

TarnsmanDW on twitch has been playing a lot of Maximum DOOM. It really is a collection of newbie created levels (including wads that replace sound and music with copyrighted material, proof that they didn't really give a crap.)

G-Fex

TarnsmanDW on twitch has been playing a lot of Maximum DOOM. It really is a collection of newbie created levels (including wads that replace sound and music with copyrighted material, proof that they didn't really give a crap.)

He finished it.

Thank god, you could only take so much of that junk

lazygecko

Project Brutality is essentially what I envisioned Brutal Doom to be striving towards. It even makes Doomguy utter the ridiculous comic book quotes directly now.

One thing I don't like is how new weapons always need to be reloaded first, which really doesn't gel with autoswitching enabled. That'll flat out kill you at times.

Raptomex

Project Brutality is essentially what I envisioned Brutal Doom to be striving towards. It even makes Doomguy utter the ridiculous comic book quotes directly now.

One thing I don't like is how new weapons always need to be reloaded first, which really doesn't gel with autoswitching enabled. That'll flat out kill you at times.
Yeah, the auto shotgun reload time is too slow. I find myself having to run away during the reload. Especially when I'm dual-wielding.

That's pretty much the quintessential clickbait title making you expect something the article isn't actually about I've always heard about. That article is more of a retrospective of what made DOOM so culturally relevant and how DOOM 4 hopes to achieve some of the same merits it had with a couple of statements that really stretch the meaning of the term 'shocked' in order to make the title relevant.

The likes of Halo, Gears of War and Call of Duty introduced dozens of innovations to smooth out the process of endlessly shooting at enemies, but this new Doom rips them all out.

"It's a skill-based experience, it's challenging," says Stratton. "The way you use your weapons, the way you manage your resources... it's a game." His emphasis there is telling - there's a sense that as single-player experiences modern shooters have become mere interactive movies: anyone can finish a Call of Duty campaign - you just need enough patience to work through the corridor of action, reaching each checkpoint. Doom is different - the player needs to fully learn and master the capabilities of the lead character and the armoury in order to progress. "People comment on the speed of the game," continues Stratton. "There's no hiding, no taking cover or stopping to let your health regenerate. There are enemies all around you - but you move faster than everything else on the screen."
This sounds really great, though the trailer left me a bit skeptical, so I'm just gonna wait for some more genuine gameplay footage (that wasn't made using a map that was clearly made for that trailer and that trailer only to show as many elements of the game as they wanted in a short amount of time) to be truly sold on the product.

I've been playing Back to Saturn X Ep. 2 with a gamecube controller (because I like the controller too much), and I really like how ZDOOM handles mapping movement speed to the analog stick.

It makes me wonder if a regular flightstick style joystick combined with mouse might be a really good control setup.

lazygecko

Attempting to play Deus Vult with Project Brutality. You need to totally cheese your way through most of the fights. Things quickly become almost impossible in the first map once you face the Mancubus and army of imps. I managed to get into a tiny room separated by a very narrow door. I just waited in there for enough imps to gather up outside, open the door, cleave a ton of them down with the chainsaw, hope I don't take too much damage while the door is open and then repeat the process.

Now I need to figure out how to beat the part with the 4 barons and tons of pinky demons.

Top Bottom