• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOOM Franchise Community Thread: That's one doomed space marine!

Nerdkiller

Membeur
Greetings from New Gothic Movement #1

this shit was fucking DIFFICULT to go through.

but I finished it.
I'm disappointed that there doesn't seem to be a middle finger feature, judging from those screenshots. But that would probably only remind people of Brutal Doom and we know that some folks 'round these parts don't want that.

jambo

I went to download DOOM from the Aussie Google Play store this morning and couldn't find it.

Am I dreaming or did it never come out on Android? Could've sworn it did.

jambo

I must've been thinking of my old iPhone 4.

Sucks that it never came out. With Carmack gone it probably never will.

Refyref

There's source ports of Doom on Android, which at this decade, are pretty much always more feature rich than official id releases. If you already own Doom on PC, just get a source port.

I keep getting this FOV look whenver I close in on an object or looking down at the floor, like I'm zoomed in for some reason.

Is there anyway to change it so that it stops making me nauseated? I'm using ZDoom right now. I tried fiddling around with the options, but so far nothing's changing it. Also I'm not getting any skyboxes, either.

64co35W.png

The Doom engine warps like that due to its raycasting system not built in mind for v-look, but you can circumvent all this by switching to GZDoom which renders that scene in OpenGL sans warping.

Use GZDoom instead. The distorted view when looking up/down is an inherent part of the Doom Engine's renderer, which is designed around the assumption that all walls are perfectly vertical and cannot be rendered in any other way. Only way around that is hardware rendering, which GZDoom provides.

lazygecko

Yeah, use GZDoom if you want to use mouselook. Personally I prefer playing without vertical mouse aiming so regular ZDoom suits me fine.

Incidentally, recent git builds of GZDoom let you take the camera rotation even further than just being able to look fully up/down without distortion:

This is as disorienting to play as it looks.

More subtle uses available right now include an implementation of Quake's strafetilt (IWAD-agnostic, so you can use it on Doom, Heretic, Hexen, Strife, Harmony, Adventures of Square (whenever that stops complaining about 'user_itemspawnid'), whatever).

Fugu

How do y'all feel about Hexen? I am fairly well versed in the sequel (a good game despite being a totally convoluted mess) but I've never really touched the original.

lazygecko

Incidentally, recent git builds of GZDoom let you take the camera rotation even further than just being able to look fully up/down without distortion:

This is as disorienting to play as it looks.

More subtle uses available right now include an implementation of Quake's strafetilt (IWAD-agnostic, so you can use it on Doom, Heretic, Hexen, Strife, Harmony, Adventures of Square (whenever that stops complaining about 'user_itemspawnid'), whatever).

That's real nice. I always liked how some console ports of the era like Duke3D and Quake on Saturn(?) accentuated tilts.

ElTopo

Banned
It's a Ying and Yang situation with Heretic and Hexen. Heretic has some pretty boring weapons and enemies but the level design is great and it was one of the earliest FPS that introduced the ability to store items and use them at will.

Hexen has really good gameplay (moreso if you pick the Barbarian dude) but the level design is incredibly confusing with an emphasis on looking for keys and switches. I remember putting almost 2-3 hours into the first world (after the first stage) and I thought I figured it out and got all the keys but nope, I still needed to get 3-4 more keys or hit as many switches. That's when I said fuck it and used cheat codes.

Honestly, I think the combat is better in Heretic as well. I mean, the weapon set is perhaps a bit too close to Doom's for its own good, but just the fact you get 7-8 of them instead of 4 total (per class) means there's more variety to the lot.

Hexen is a great showcase for the potential behind polyobjects, hub-style maps and scripting, but the actual game itself is wanting. Competent, but a little too focused on finding solutions in one map to puzzles in a completely different map with little to no indication of what the relationship between the two is, exactly, leading to a lot of time being wasted as I try to figure out where I'm supposed to go next. (Actually, I think Hexen 2 might be worse about that...)

I think Strife is actually a better realization of the "open-ish world in the Doom engine" concept, although that game's not free of level design confusion either (the sewer stage suuuuuuucks).

ElTopo

Banned
Honestly I'd rather have 3 playable characters with different weapon sets than just play a game that has the Doom weapons with a new skin. I think I would have enjoyed Heretic even more if every weapon had an Alt Fire like when you use that item that buffs your weapons (forget the name of it).

Hexen would have been better if Raven had the technology at the time to play a short cutscene or have an indicator on your map showing what changes have been made to the world and what doors have opened up. Something that the Steam release of Strife does in having in indicator on the over world map.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
For Hexen you could tell they were going for more "realistic" designed levels which is why they can get confusing. Heretic was like DOOM where the levels were more flexible with their layouts and realism wasn't really the goal. Strife also went for realism, but it was also a completely different type of game. It was an FPS/RPG.

I agree it'd have been smart to have indicators. All it did was give you a vague "Something has moved on the hub world" message when you pull switches that go across maps. Strife did some pretty cool stuff but they had to edit the code themselves just like Raven did. I guess they just never thought of the idea at the time. Plus it's not like they could switch the camera to the thing that changed on the other map because back then loading a map took a few seconds. So just pulling a switch would cost a lot of time while it showed you what happened. They'd have to pre-render an image of the map and show an arrow pointing to it. It'd be more work than it was worth. Best to just tell you stuff.

Heretic is colorful though. I loved its use of greens and purples and its blue water. Something DOOM didn't have. Which is why my favorite level in Hexen was the church with all the enemies that had green and purple glows to them.

ElTopo

Banned
I don't think realistic is the right word, it's pretty obvious that the level design behind Hexen was more fantasy-inspired and pretty successfully incorporated portals. The game just needed a better map system.

I'm replaying it again and I don't know if it's the current sleep deprivation I'm going through or something else but I got very nauseous while playing. Old school FPS sometimes do that for me though.

Hexen is still (IMHO) the better game, you just might need to pull up an LP to figure out some parts.

ElTopo

Banned
Not a lot of posts in this OT so I hope you guys don't mind a bump.

1: the dude who gave us Doom 64 EX is nearing completion on reverse engineering Power Slave. Called Power Slave EX. https://powerslaveex.wordpress.com/ It will be released some time this month as an Alpha and the author sounds very confident in getting it fully playable by May.

2: I started re-played Doom 64 EX and GOD DAMN is this good. I forgot just how fucking good this is. The level design is very good, very inspired by Doom 2's level design but it's still very unique. The use of lighting, fog, and the new Giger-esque textures add a lot to it. The music is fucking amazing, Probably the most unnerving horror game music in existence. I've seen almost everything when it comes to horror and I thought the Suspiria soundtrack was the scariest soundtrack of all time but I think Doom 64 topples it. The music is very late 80's/early 90's industrial/drone meets The Exorcist. Great stuff.

Doom 64 is the real Doom 3.

Refyref

I like Doom 3, but Doom 64 is definitely feels more like an actual sequel to Doom 1/2. (I also find it a better game as well, so that helps it.)

It's always surprising how a game made by a group entirely unrelated to the original development team managed to make such a good Doom game.

Raptomex

I like Doom 3, but Doom 64 is definitely feels more like an actual sequel to Doom 1/2. (I also find it a better game as well, so that helps it.)

It's always surprising how a game made by a group entirely unrelated to the original development team managed to make such a good Doom game.
It's very underrated but I also feel it hasn't aged well on consoles. However, Doom 64 EX is definitive. At least for me.

Ixion

I did not like Doom 64 when I bought and played the N64 version last year, but I definitely want to try EX. I have a Mac though, which makes it hard to set up...

Not that surprising, considering (IIRC) the team was made up of people who'd been modding the PC version of Doom in the interim - and we don't really consider good PWADs existing terribly surprising.

Doom 64 is the only Doom I played to completion. I love it. Still own the cart.

Bought Doom and Doom II on Steam but haven't played yet. Found the vanilla too low-res/pixilated, and tried a couple of the popular engine mods but it didn't feel authentic to me. I think I might need the ones in D3:BFG

Doom 64 is the only Doom I played to completion. I love it. Still own the cart.

Bought Doom and Doom II on Steam but haven't played yet. Found the vanilla too low-res/pixilated, and tried a couple of the popular engine mods but it didn't feel authentic to me. I think I might need the ones in D3:BFG
I mean, source ports are something of a sliding scale of authenticity.

On the "as close to vanilla as possible" end, you've got Chocolate Doom, which is basically vanilla Doom but compiled to run on modern systems without DOSBox. There's also Crispy Doom, a Chocolate Doom variant with marginally higher resolution (640x400 instead of 320x200). One notch above those would be Chocorenderlimits, which raises some of the engine's limits for testing purposes (so you can see where you'd run into a visplane error, but keep playing through without the game immediately bombing out).

Slightly higher up, there's Boom and its variants. For this subset, I tend to go for PrBoom+, since vanilla Boom is a DOS executable, and PrBoom+ is relatively well upkept. Generally speaking, it plays like vanilla Doom, but it's limit-removing, and has Boom-specific features like customizable linedef specials, scrollers, fake floors and such that expand level-designing capabilities significantly. Also comes bundled with GLBoom+, which is PrBoom+ with a renderer. You can enable proper mouselook in that one, although it's strictly optional, and will still play akin to vanilla Doom if you opt not to.

On the more advanced end of source ports, you've got ZDoom, which is generally geared toward modders, with even more advanced linedef and sector specials, ACS scripting (to enable Build-esque level events), DECORATE scripting (to allow you to create custom enemies, weapons or, well, decorations), slopes, 3D floors, et cetera. GZDoom is one step above that, being a very-up-to-date OpenGL renderer for ZDoom. Zandronum is also ZDoom-based, although it's a few versions behind; you'd only really want that one for multiplayer (ie: you will want that one, but probably wouldn't play single-player on it). If you're so inclined to see if the hype surrounding mods like Brutal Doom are really deserved, this is the engine you'll need to be using.

There are others like Doomsday, 3DGE, Eternal Engine, Doom Legacy, but the ones in the three prior paragraphs are the only ones I tend to dabble in.

G-Fex

I'd say Doom 64 is the sequel to PSX Doom's :p

I've gotten used to and I do not mind BD at all. I like Brutal a lot, It's not the end all be all nor the 'true' way to play doom but it's pretty fun.

Except what is better is..

BRUTAL DOOM JOHNNY EDITION.

ElTopo

Banned
Three things I dislike about Doom 64:

1: the artifacts needed to power up the Unmaker can only be found in secret levels. And considering the overall level design they're not easy to find. And there's no cheat code you can use to power up the Unmaker, not even the "give all weapons and items" code actually gives you the artifacts.

2: not enough enemy variety. I'm playing this on the hardest setting and I can't tell you how many times I've had to wade through Barons of Hell and slowly take them out with the Super Shotty. Really sucks that the Archville and Revnant didn't make the cut. A re-design of the Archville could have been sick.

3: a few too many ambushes for my taste.

These are just nitpicks and not really deal-breakers.

Edit: I finally beat it. I was playing on the hardest difficulty and the Absolution kicked my fucking ass. Didn't help that I didn't find any of the secret levels and I used all of my Cell and Rocket ammo on the initial horde. Which left me with just the Minigun and Shotty against the Absolution. Incredibly cheap boss on the hardest difficulty, makes fighting multiple Cyberdemons or Spider Masterminds easy by comparison. Very cool design. Too bad the Absolution wasn't a carry over like the Unmaker, would have fit Doom 3 really well.

ElTopo

Banned
Replaying Doom 64 EX again (twice in a month) and this time I'm using a guide to find all the secret levels so I can finally fucking kick some ass with a fully upgraded Unmaker.

I like the Unmaker and the concept behind it but I could see why it was cut from the original Doom. Finding upgrades for it would have been awesome (if they weren't so incredibly hidden like in Doom 64) but it makes the Plasma Rifle and BFG pretty much worthless. Could you imagine a world where the BFG isn't regarded as the mother of all super weapons in FPS?

ElTopo

Banned
So far I've got two of the demonic upgrades to the Unmaker in Doom 64 and holy shit I killed a Cyberdemon in maybe 10 seconds and only used 100 cell rounds. It's not even fully upgraded!

Raptomex

Are there texture mods for Doom 3 BFG?
From what I hear people don't want to mod the game since there are plenty of mods to make the original look even better than BFG. It kind of sucks considering I love the BFG Edition. But if people are modding the game I definitely want to check out some mods.

ElTopo

Banned
Beat Doom 64 again and this time with a fully upgraded Unmaker. Just annihilated the Absolution.

Why wasn't the Absolution/Mother Demon concept brought over to Doom 3? I hope Doom 4 does it.
And the return of the Spider Mastermind.

I can't speak for "we", but I seriously doubt Bethesda is holding a conference at E3 solely to show off Fallout 4.

I think itll mainly be for fallout because that series is bigger than doom atm imo but if there is anything about the new doom then ill be freakin happy unless it's as what was described to be a next gen brutal doom then no thanks.

I mean, it's inevitably going to have elements of that mod, since it's kind of what other games are doing in general. But unlike Brutal Doom, the mapset for Doom 4 would actually be designed around any different monster/weapon behavior introduced, so it might even out.

Although I really hope it doesn't force you to ADS. Doom and Quake are like the epitome of firing-from-the-hip gameplay, and should stay that way. Brutal added that for their pistol replacement and it strikes me as wholly unnecessary. (Kind of like the entire pistol replacement, frankly, since the entire niche for the pistol is "super accurate weapon but slow and weak so you'll want to get a shotgun ASAP and only revert to the pistol when sniping," not "it's another chaingun".)

I never really understood any mod that insists on implementing realistic and/or hyper militarized weapons (and this isn't a complaint aimed specifically at Brutal DOOM, but a mod on a multiplayer server I've played years ago). Why would I play DOOM if I'm not using boomsticks and portable plasma nukes?

Ixion

Do we think they will publicly reveal gameplay trailer at this years quakecon?

I'm thinking we'll get another teaser at Bethesda's E3 conference, perhaps with in-game footage, but not necessarily gameplay. And then QuakeCon will give the public a gameplay trailer, while attendees get another extended gameplay demonstration. Perhaps an exclusive Multiplayer demonstration.

I really hope it doesn't force you to ADS.)

The demo at last year's QuakeCon didn't have any aiming down the sights. There wasn't even any reloading. So unless they changed that, you should be pleased.

Top Bottom