• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOOM Gameplay Demo (E3 2015)

Looks like I missed the map editor reveal.

Wonder if it ends up being as robust as they are saying.

I mean. When do we get the original Doom episodes made with the editor?

red731

Tha looked vufking amazing!

I bet there will be (speed) mutators and what not to catter to us raised by Doom Guy.

Spoo

Are we sure this is real gameplay? Everything looked scripted as fuck.

Felt like there was enough awkward moments in the demo to make it seem legit -- even if initial enemy placement / spawns were changed to make it easier to 'do all the cool things' as the demoer went along.

Some stuff in the second demo was a bit disorienting when he got caught up on two enemies, and there was quite a bit of "that guy is stunned/sitting there doing nothing." Don't know if that proves anything, but it makes it feel like it's either not scripted or... it's real bad scripting?

Woorloog

Banned
Sad but true, hope we can just press numbers and switch to the gun we want

My point is, it emulates the fast weapon switching (from enemy POV) for a controller. Most likely not an issue on PC.
If you watch the footage again, you'll notice there are times when the player switches weapons without the wheel, i'm guessing "last used weapon" button.

Seyavesh

im still laughing at that e1m1 video posted

it's like performance art

edit:
seriously, thank you

also as a double moment of hilarity, i had to boot up doom 1 (in chocolate doom to be sure) after this and try my hand at this stage so here's e1m1 in literally under 1/10th of the time of that video
J9ahRiB.gif

i burst out laughing again after this because that was my first attempt at the stage in over a decade
god damn that video is just gold

Toxi

Banned
Hopefully that death animation with the Revenant killing you with your own arm is just something made for the preview and won't be in the game proper, or will just be in the game the first time a Revenant kills you. Having it happen every time an enemy kills you would be Too Human levels of annoyance.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Fine, animations. Whatever. Look at when the guy picks up the chainsaw. What follows is about 2 minutes of insta-kill animations that take control away from the player for the duration. once the novelty of the gore wears off, the player will more than like stop using that weapon because it will then be "that weapon that takes away control".

Just like the original chainsaw, and the berserk fists.

The more complaints I hear about certain things, show this is so much like an evolved original when one compares.

I think people are misremembering.

mrpeabody

Visually this game is a mess. Turn on the lights ffs, it's an action game. Make the enemies visually distinct. Use strong colors.

Hubble

I couldnt help think the terrible AI made the demo look poor. All of the enemies either stood still or just charged in a straight line. I understand DOOM is a run and gun shooter but I think they need to expand and have more with the story, lore, etc.

KingJ2002

The game looks amazing... The single player campaign video quality was ass but the trailer looks dope and the animations were on point.

Overall... it should be one of the better "visuals led" titles at e3. Id's tech 6 engine didn't disappoint.

gameplay on the other hand... meh

Kinsei

Banned
I don't quite get the hatred. It's fast paced; it's about shotgun, demons, and gore; the combat is intense and stylish; the graphics is on par with other modern shooters; the added parkour and takedown actions from the showcase clips are Titanfall-level fluid; and we have a more friendly editor to boost user generated contents. I really like what I saw and I believe that it has the potential to fully revive the franchise just like what The New Order did to Wolfenstein.

It's not fast paced. The combat was certainly not stylish and a far cry from the intensity of Doom 1&2, the takedowns completely destroyed what little sense of speed there was.

I think it looks okay, but the hate is justified imo. I highly doubt this will lead to a revival of the franchise.

ironcreed

Banned
I can't wait for an old school id shooter that lets me carry a ton of amazing and meaty weapons in such a drool-worthy environment. It is going to be a real treat. Hard to hate on DOOM being back.

drotahorror

The more complaints I hear show this is so much like an evolved original, I think people are misremembering.

Seen on giantbomb stream but one of them mentioned that maybe the chainsaw is controllable once you've got it locked into an enemies body. ie you can go straight down, diagonally right/left etc.

baphomet

That real time global illumination is insane. I would honestly be surprised if this could be pulled off anywhere near 60fps on consoles at this fidelity.

Walpurgis

Banned
Fine, animations. Whatever. Look at when the guy picks up the chainsaw. What follows is about 2 minutes of insta-kill animations that take control away from the player for the duration. once the novelty of the gore wears off, the player will more than like stop using that weapon because it will then be "that weapon that takes away control".

I don't mind them, to be honest. I'm used to forced walking scenes and scripted explosions and was happy to see none of that. I think the chainsaw let the player control their cut though.

Horp

This... Really wasn't what I expected. And definitely not what I hoped for. I honestly hought we would get a classic-shooter-made-modern type of game. Like a serious sam but with a lot better graphics and of course doom aestetics. This.. Well maybe it wont totally suck but it makes me sad that they didnt take the opperunity to make a real doom game.

Nephtes

They said it's "fast" but I was underwhelmed by the single player movement speed on display in the demo.
Worse, I was underwhelmed by the environments...

The DOOM and DOOM 2 levels are iconic and memorable.
There was nothing iconic and memorable on display here from what I saw.

This and Bethesda.NET were the big let downs of an otherwise great showing.

This... Really wasn't what I expected. And definitely not what I hoped for. I honestly hought we would get a classic-shooter-made-modern type of game. Like a serious sam but with a lot better graphics and of course doom aestetics. This.. Well maybe it wont totally suck but it makes me sad that they didnt take the opperunity to make a real doom game.
You claim to know what a real Doom game is then claim they should make it like Serious Sam? Get outta here.

Please find a MS-DOS simulator and play the original Doom. You clearly haven't.

Zoned

Actively hates charity
dafuck has serious sam anything to do with Doom?

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
The Good:
+ No ironsights
+ Carry whole arsenal at once

The Bad:
- Slow as fuck
- Most of the enemies they showed looked too similar
- Melee finishers
- Enemies spewing out fluorescent ammo all over the place like ammunition pinatas. Even weirder when it's an imp not carrying a gun
- The glow effect when enemies are ready for yet another scripted melee finish

Overall. Meh.

MiguelItUp

You claim to know what a real Doom game is then claim they should make it like Serious Sam? Get outta here.

Yeaaah, I'm glad it's not slathered with a Serious Sam sheen, I think it's looking pretty damn solid.. Better than what I was even expecting. I really don't think they could make a modern DOOM game that feels like the original more so than this.. This looks like it feels more like DOOM than 3 ever did, though I loved 3 regardless, so that's something. This thread is just a reminder that you can't make everyone happy, opinions are amazing and I appreciate them. However, personally I don't understand all the negativity.

The Bad:
- All the enemies they showed looked too similar

If I had anything to be concerned about in regards to what I saw it's this. However, this is the first time we've seen gameplay so I'm sure that'll change. But then again, it's DOOM, therefore I'm expecting to see similar enemies and not alternate variations.. Was there a good shot of a Pinky that I missed? Only time I noticed it was when the Specter was killed. Loved seeing the Mancubus too. Honestly I'm pretty excited to see what all of the classic enemies look like in this.

4Tran

I don't think this game looks too bad, but it's certainly not very Doom-ish. What really gets me is that you don't see more than 3 enemies on the screen at a time compared to opening a door and finding dozens of demons behind it. The way the enemy designs are a lot more modern, but they're also so far from the originals that they're not really even evocative any more. While I understand why Bethesda decided to move in this direction, it doesn't make me want to break out my credit card either.

Horp

The gameplay in SS is waaaaaay closer to doom than this. I could have said "make it like doom" of course, though.

I feel like they made a game that tried to invoke the feeling that the OG doom-games perhaps -tried- to invoke, rather than a game that actually resembles the old doom games. Yeah sure they were brutal and gory, with spooky scary monsters, but for us that grew up with it it was about the speed, the thrill of the amounts of monsters, and the maze like maps.

LOCK

I thought the game looked amazing.

My only problem is that it didn't convince me to actually play the game. Plus the gore really didn't gel with me for some reason.

Hmm I'm conflicted.

Toxi

Banned
The Mancubus is the one enemy I really thought looked nice and unique. The green highlights and distinctive silhouette means it still kinda works in brown.

Hope they don't just reuse old enemies and actually try to make some new crazy ones.

Spoo

At least PC version has the number row.

Exactly.

I mean, this is very clearly a concession made for console gamers which won't impact PC players. I have a tough time seeing why anyone dislikes it as an added option.

I mean, how else are they supposed to switch through weapons? Run around in circles while cycling through them?

The solution works.

Kinsei

Banned
Exactly.

I mean, this is very clearly a concession made for console gamers which won't impact PC players. I have a tough time seeing why anyone dislikes it as an added option.

I mean, how else are they supposed to switch through weapons? Run around in circles while cycling through them?

The solution works.

They can bring up the weapon wheel without slowing down the game for console players. The game isn't fast enough to warrant slow down on consoles.

nib95

Banned
I counted 53 kills, so he was pretty much dead on? Anyway, graphics looked amazing. Just didn't look especially fresh or exciting, but could still be lots of fun.

fedexpeon

Banned
Wow, graphic looks outdated (nothing is clean) and awful slow-mo for gun switching gameplay.
And those monster designs, just bunch of reskinned zombies with one texture/layer of flesh looking skin.

DrSlek

The more complaints I hear about certain things, show this is so much like an evolved original when one compares.

What? The chainsaw and berserker fists never locked me into a 2 second insta-kill attack animation when I played DOOM and DOOM 2.

Gloam

Needs to be faster for sure. Weapon switching on a wheel with the slow down seems a little silly as does the animation when you take a weapon out. Should be much faster across the board. Looks pretty though.

Overside

Banned

When the hell, did either the original chainsaw, or the berserk knuckles, stop gameplay for lengthy cinematic animations?

Nobody is misremembering.

The bullshit needs to stop.

Spoo

They can bring up the weapon wheel without slowing down the game for console players. The game isn't fast enough to warrant slow down on consoles.

Neither case would be ideal though. Slowing down the game at least makes up for the fact that on another platform you can do it without taking your hands off the primary controls -- wouldn't it be awkward running in a direction with the left stick while using the right stick to cycle through a list?

As far as being fast, we don't have a huge sample yet -- the latter demo looked fast enough to me where not being able to semi-pause to select weapons might really suck :\

baphomet

Wow, graphic looks outdated (nothing is clean) and awful slow-mo for gun switching gameplay.
And those monster designs, just bunch of reskinned zombies with one texture/layer of flesh looking skin.

Lol, the graphics are anything but outdated. Hell, the real time global illumination is better than anything else we've ever seen.

People expecting original Doom with updated graphics? Yeah, that's not going to happen.

That's exactly what people want, apparently.

Doom 1 with updated graphics would sell to everyone who played the original and still had time to play it. The interest from the mainstream players would be awful.

The older games are good because of nostalgia. People tend to forget their faults over time.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
What? The chainsaw and berserker fists never locked me into a 2 second insta-kill attack animation when I played DOOM and DOOM 2.

No, you had to hold down the chainsaw on some enemies cause it took a bit to kill, while others were insta-kill. Faster more powerful enemies it was useless.

It was a good stress relief for marines and imps mainly, but then got old, and no one wanted to pick it up since you lost your fists.

Berserk was your gib insta-kill animation that was also rewarding like a BFG one hitter.

You are comparing limited tech with something that evolved. We all would have loved even a bit more than what was presented in the originals since I know like many others at the time, we daydreamed about those very mechanics evolving over time.

Can't wait to see complaints with an evoked chain gun cha cha.

Top Bottom