• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOOM Gameplay Demo (E3 2015)

Kikorin

Looks really good, I appreciate the new movements and the double jump, hope to have a tons of enemies together, in levels shown they are a bit few, but I'm pretty sure I'll not be disappointed.

doomgaf_zpsinotkjwb.png

This looks excellent. Looks like everything I would've wanted in a new DOOM game. Hopefully they get 60fps footage of it being played with a mouse out ASAP.

sviri

This brings back so many fond memories! If they nail the atmosphere during the moments of downtime... this will be my favorite shooter in a very long time.

angelic

Banned
the colour issue is valid, doom 1 and 2 have great palettes, this is just standard grey metal red flames brown monsters. its boring.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
Don't get all the GAF hate.

this makes me worries for e3 announcements. anything that's not a megaton during the conferences is just going to be "meh, boring, and slow."

not everything has to be a AAA megaton looking game. this game looks like silly fun. and that MP gives me old school fps vibes.

ThePicard

Banned
Great graphics, the materials and the way they reflect remind a bit of the UE4 infiltrator demo.

As far as gameplay it looks like a good shooter, but in this day and age is just a good shooter enough?.

Even in the short demo the melee was starting to get tedious.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Seems like a lot of people are really struggling to not like this, the color 'issue' is laughable.

Yeah, the game is super detailed, full of color, features excellent post-fx work, great animation, nice reflections, realistic materials system, bokeh depth of field, lots of dynamic lights, etc.

Honestly, it think it looks nice to the point where I am totally skeptical that they'll be able to hit 60fps on console.

I feel like people can't see through the stream quality and recognize what's going on here.

As far as gameplay it looks like a good shooter, but in this day and age is just a good shooter enough?.
What else do you want?

Honestly, cramming games full of features just "because" is starting to ruin games for me. I don't want RPG mechanics in every game nor open world or any of that extra bullshit.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
this makes me worries for e3 announcements. anything that's not a megaton during the conferences is just going to be "meh, boring, and slow."

not everything has to be a AAA megaton looking game. this game looks like silly fun. and that MP gives me old school fps vibes.

I don't think people are disappointed because it's not AAA megaton looking (It looks great, from a production quality point of view, in my opinion). They're disappointed because many were expecting different gameplay.

Did the original doom games have so many fodder enemies? Also, I saw at least 3 different types of enemies in this footage that looked pretty much the same, just different sizes.

NotLiquid

I've gone from super hyped to cautiously optimistic. I'm confident that they can still make a good game, the action looks good and it seems they got the viscera of Doom down. But the design didn't inspire much confidence, the gun feedback wasn't as poppy as it felt like it could be, the pace could be a bit faster and overall it looks like it's mostly made from someone who only saw Doom from a surface level, or only watched the spectacle discerned from a Brutal Doom trailer.

The multiplayer looks nice. Most of my fears are things that I won't be validated on until I actually play the game but I hope it'll be good.

Did the original doom games have so many fodder enemies? Also, I saw at least 3 different types of enemies in this footage that looked pretty much the same, just different sizes.

Several areas in the games had a lot of fodder enemies but they weren't as many and close between.

CryptiK

Whether or not you like the gameplay is one thing but if you find it to be mediocre looking then I don't know what to say...
I don't find the gameplay mediocre as far its concerned it seems to be very faithful to classic DOOM movement. The look of the game is completely mediocre however. And most likely due to their shit engine.

This is why most games are 30fps.
? I play PC games I am and will always be a PC gamer. You have 0 idea. And the point that this game is running on a console centric engine annoys me. That and I refuse to play games any lower than 60 FPS.

laxu

My beef is that every surface and creature looks like it's made of plastic. I thought we were already past that.

Gameplaywise I think it looks ok. I can see they've taken cues from various shooters like Bulletstorm and Crysis. The pace could be just a bit faster. Level design actually seems decent.

Out of the monster designs only the Revenant is actually nice. The jetpacks are a good touch. The rest are very generic, I would rather they looked at original Doom games for inspiration instead of Doom 3. That "seen in every damn movie monster reveal" Cyberdemon roar is just bad.

dark10x

I don't find the gameplay mediocre as far its concerned it seems to be very faithful to classic DOOM movement. The look of the game is completely mediocre however. And most likely due to their shit engine.
Shit engine?

It's brand new tech. I just noted some of its features. It's competitive with anything else on the market especially since they're aiming for 60fps on consoles.

What is that you think looks mediocre?

M3d10n

The pace in the hell video felt more like Quake 2 than Doom for me. Should have hired Croteam, at least they know how to push lots of enemies on screen.

Fraeon

The graphics look fine if a bit desaturated,

I was hoping for more Painkiller and less Doom 3, though. So put me in the "meh" bucket.

dark10x

The pace in the hell video felt more like Quake 2 than Doom for me. Should have hired Croteam, at least they know how to push lots of enemies on screen.
Serious Sam is nothing like Doom. Croteam game design would be much worse than what we're seeing here.

CryptiK

Shit engine?

It's brand new tech. I just noted some of its features. It's competitive with anything else on the market especially since they're aiming for 60fps on consoles.

What is that you think looks mediocre?
idTech hasn't been a good engine in over a decade. I don't expect that to change. The level design still looks linear as well so yawn.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I don't mind the execution system, but it seems that there's just one execution per enemy at this stage, so hopefully that number goes up, plus the glow effect is unnecessary -- stance is enough.

Honestly, cramming games full of features just "because" is starting to ruin games for me. I don't want RPG mechanics in every game nor open world or any of that extra bullshit.

Agreed, but

What else do you want?

For that core gameplay to be really good. And the act of shooting here looks a bit weak tbh. One (OG) Doom's biggest strengths was a very direct feel to shooting and hitting something. You'd want that and then taken to some sort of next level or something. Not that muted/spongy Rage type of gunplay which I didn't like much at all (and seems to make a return here).

Other than that, purely from a 'graphics standpoint', it looks really good.

dark10x

idTech hasn't been a good engine in over a decade. I don't expect that to change. The level design still looks linear as well so yawn.
id Tech 5 was a misstep - but this is not id Tech 5. I mean, they hired away one of CryTek's top engineers.

There's a LOT going on here.

For that core gameplay to be really good. And the act of shooting here looks a bit weak tbh. One (OG) Doom's biggest strengths was a very direct feel to shooting and hitting something. You'd want that and then taken to some sort of next level or something. Not that muted/spongy Rage type of gunplay which I didn't like much at all.
I'm not yet ready to make a call on it. I actually thought Rage played very well and I adore Doom 3 (for different reasons than Doom OG, of course).

This seems like it builds off of Doom 3 and Rage but moves at a faster pace and throws around a much larger number of enemies at once.

Compared to most other faster, combat focused shooters of the last few years, this is one of the best looking titles we've seen in a LONG time. Did you play Shadow Warrior last year? How shit were THOSE weapons? ROTT? Felt like a budget game. I dunno, this seems like it could be excellent but we'll see.

Jito

Banned
That looked awesome, pretty much what I dreamed modern Doom would be like. It looked so smooth and fast paced, constantly on the move and so much strafing!
200w.gif

Sorral

I really enjoyed the demo especially the animations being so fluid and not missing a beat there. Snapmap looked great too as it allows for so many more possibilities.

Just hope that there is an option to turn off the highlights on takedowns since you can kinda tell from how the enemy's pose already. Oh and the ability to turn off the pause when you bring up the weapon wheel as well as an increase in monsters count when the difficulty is increased.

eso76

Not sure what people were expecting, maybe that's because i'm not a huge doom fan myself, but this looks like Doom alright to me.

Tech looks solid to me.

I'm not yet ready to make a call on it. I actually thought Rage played very well and I adore Doom 3 (for different reasons than Doom OG, of course).

This seems like it builds off of Doom 3 and Rage but moves at a faster pace and throws around a much larger number of enemies at once.

I'm actually pleasantly surprised they've chosen to build upon the art-style or look of Doom 3, because I did like Doom 3's tone very much.

As for how it plays, yeah, we'll have to wait and try for ourselves.

Compared to most other faster, combat focused shooters of the last few years, this is one of the best looking titles we've seen in a LONG time. Did you play Shadow Warrior last year? How shit were THOSE weapons? ROTT? Felt like a budget game. I dunno, this seems like it could be excellent but we'll see.

It definitely looks a lot better than those two.

Septic360

Banned
Looks sooo smooth. Got really get a bit samey after a while though.

Hey, at least we can all admit that its better than the cancelled Doom project shown off a few weeks ago right. RIGHT?

Top Bottom