• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOOM Gameplay Demo (E3 2015)

getting this day 1. and i swore off fps. but that looked great. dafaq@doesnt look like doom, habe any of ya'll played doom lately?

the only thing i saw undoom like was the melee kills.

jono51

Banned
Looks like a ton of fun. The only thing I wasn't a fan of was the flashing enemies when they were ready to be stomped - hopefully they can throw a toggle on for that/disable at a higher difficulty.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
dark10x said:
There's a LOT going on here.
Those gameplay videos being compressed to hell, they wouldn't look good no matter what you recorded on them.
That said, I don't think it's a problem of detail - trailer-video is sharp, but gib-effects aside it does look pretty ugly - I get it's part of the art-direction but still.

PnCIa

I came into this thread and saw tons of people crying that its shit.
Then i watched it and realized, NO, its not shit. Not at all.

Initially when he just walked around i was also worried how slow it was, then when the action started it got pretty fast, especially for a console shooter. And this is Doom for consoles, remember that.

They need to remove all the highlighting for demos though, seriously. They may think that people playing the game are fucking stupid and cant see that you hit an enemy enough that he is struggling so you can finish him, but most of us can. Just give us HUD options.

The basic gameplay looks great, i thought that it doesnt have enough enemies at once though. Needs way more enemies to make the action more crazy.

Enemy design does look a little generic, not bad but also not amazing. The shotgun and the rocket launcher look bad though, who designed those things?

Graphics are great. Remember, this is supposed to run at 60 FPS on those consoles.

J-Rzez

Visually looks OK. That remix to the stage one theme is far worse than what they did to the Battlefield theme starting in 3. Horrible. But visually looks OK, slowdown with the weapon wheel is neat for sure. Will follow this one.

wintermute181

Neo Member
This looks terrible. Even from a technical standpoint, the enemies didn't react to being shot until their hp reached 0, and half the time their bits would blow in the wrong direction. Glad Carmack left.

Unain

Put me on the meh pile for now.

Positive:
- Weapons look great.
- Pickups
- Chainsaw kills look brutal (even though there were only 3 animations)

Negatives:
- Not enough enemies on screen.
- Too much brown.
- Too slow compared to old Doom.
- Enemies look too similar.

-Gozer-

If they're aiming for a stable 60fps on consoles then I think that pretty much guarantees that simultaneous enemy count won't get crazy.

peakish

I still don't feel comfortable judging the game from these videos, even the hell video didn't feel like actual gameplay but more like a showcase. I'd like to see more of the level and encounter design proper before judging those aspects. The hell level seemed like a decent sized area, but I hope that encounters largely are in-place when you enter it so that there's a lot of ways to tackle it, rather than them spawning in mid-through battle. Couldn't tell where the enemy reinforcements came from in that video.

On the whole it reminds me more of a Flying Hog game more than Doom 1/2. That's still pretty decent although I was hoping for something ... more, for lack of a better word.

Finally found a video of the map editor https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5wQD9gO1tB0. That seems like a lot of fun at least, and could flood us with interesting fast paced levels.

Demy

A buddy and I recently beat Doom 3 together by swapping positions of either being the player or chugging beer. It took a few jumpy nights since we'd get so drunk but we got through it and was tons of fun. I don't care how homoerotic my story sounds. Doom 3 rocks and this one looks like fun as well.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
On the whole it reminds me more of a Flying Hog game more than Doom 1/2. That's still pretty decent although I was hoping for something ... more, for lack of a better word.
I dunno, there's plenty of verticality here and the actual areas in which the battles occurred seemed much more intricate in design. Flying Wild Hog's games feature a lot of open, empty areas with pretty set dressing. You're not just around the level geometry or engaging with the level in a meaningful way most of the time. It's just big empty rooms with streams of enemies separated by "mission grade" screens.

What I got from it is that it's more faithful to the originals than Doom 3 ever was. I'm excited for it, looks good and since it's releasing next year I'm sure it'll look even better. It plays smooth as fuck as well and reminds me of Mirrors Edge at times. Best thing about it to me is the double jump. Can't wait!

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
doomgaf_zpsinotkjwb.png

Remove "doom" and it can be posted on every single gaf thread.

Baleoce

Looks good, bar the fact it's scripted. Plasma Rifle needs more sense of feedback / hit detection. Hopeing for less atmospheric background music in general, and just more beats. Promising so far.

Jito

Banned
Throw up the last time you played Doom people, I've got a feeling most of you haven't played/seen it in years. I've been playing it solid for the last 2 weeks and this looks very Doom to me in artstyle, combat and enemy count (can't comment on level design, looks promising though). How are people complaining about the enemy count on screen, Doom was never fucking Serious (gun down endless waves) Sam!

Also, check you eyes people, I could see all the enemy types and match them up with the oldies. Even saw freaking invisible Pinky in that carnage.

MaLDo

Seems like a lot of people are really struggling to not like this, the color 'issue' is laughable.

No, it's not.

I'm not talking about a 'how pretty about the colors is'

Looks pretty.
Doesn't look fun.

Why:

*Enemy projectiles are too fast for a fun dodge gameplay. This was core gameplay in original Doom saga.

*Similar enemy shapes and colors prevent having a strategy gameplay based in the differentiation of AI behaviors. Again a main aspect in older Doom saga.

*Melee animations take the player control for too much seconds preventing an agile gameplay.

*Guns do not seem to impact the enemies until we see they have died.

*Overwhelmed and helpless feeling is completely destroyed because it seems that we control a super warrior bigger and stronger than most of our enemies.

*Gibs and blood are brown instead of bright red.

Playing original Doom you have to think fast mixing map layout with enemy colors on screen to find a safe path where you can kill them in the right order. Old Doom isn't a full straight forward kill after kill game.

When your concept of color is to apply the same gradation and tone to the whole scene including enemies on screen, you completely lose the strategic component of enemy encounters. Especially if there are vents, fake windows or spawn points that continually cheat on your plan of action.

peakish

I dunno, there's plenty of verticality here and the actual areas in which the battles occurred seemed much more intricate in design. Flying Wild Hog's games feature a lot of open, empty areas with pretty set dressing. You're not just around the level geometry or engaging with the level in a meaningful way most of the time. It's just big empty rooms with streams of enemies separated by "mission grade" screens.
Yeah, I'm not a fan of Flying Hog's level design, it's just boring. It's rather how the game doubles down on a violent concept, Shadow Warrior with it's katana and Doom 4 with it's gore and melee executions, although the katana was a lot of fun and these executions just leave me cold. The shooting also didn't quite grab me, but who knows how it looks in an actual gameplay video.

I do like the verticality and overall moveset of this doom guy, can't tell much else of the level design for now though.

dark10x

Throw up the last time you played Doom people, I've got a feeling most of you haven't played/seen it in years. I've been playing it solid for the last 2 weeks and this looks very Doom to me in artstyle, combat and enemy count (can't comment on level design, looks promising though). How are peopoe complaining about the enemy count on screen, Doom was never fucking Serious (gun down endless waves) Sam!
I still play Doom on a fairly regular basis myself.

I think there are plenty of similarities and plenty of differences. A nice marriage of Doom 3 and classic Doom along with some new elements.

For myself, I think a lot of it hinges on how the levels are made. The actual bits of level we saw here seemed well done and interesting - but if it's just a series of big rooms connected by hallways in a linear fashion then, yeah, I'd be disappointed. There is no indication one way or another if it will be like that or not.

Whoyouare

A buddy and I recently beat Doom 3 together by swapping positions of either being the player or chugging beer. It took a few jumpy nights since we'd get so drunk but we got through it and was tons of fun. I don't care how homoerotic my story sounds. Doom 3 rocks and this one looks like fun as well.

My friends and I did this in our younger days too.

On topic, this looks awesome. Can't wait!

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
gameplay looks like brutal doom mod with modern graphics. I approve, just need maze-like levels and heavy metal soundtrack.

Jito

Banned
I still play Doom on a fairly regular basis myself.

I think there are plenty of similarities and plenty of differences. A nice marriage of Doom 3 and classic Doom along with some new elements.

For myself, I think a lot of it hinges on how the levels are made. The actual bits of level we saw here seemed well done and interesting - but if it's just a series of big rooms connected by hallways in a linear fashion then, yeah, I'd be disappointed. There is no indication one way or another if it will be like that or not.

Right on man, it looks like the best bits of Doom 3 melted down into modernised Doom combat. It just all hinges on great sprawling level design now, I've got high hopes based on how open that first demo looked, lots of potential for platforming and checking every corridor for secrets.

kiguel182

Visually it looks great but the rest just didn't speak to me.

Hyper violent, standard shooting and just very one dimensional. It's the kind of thing that looks charming with old visuals like the first game but that looks boring with hyper realistic visuals. Maybe that's dumb but that's how I felt.

All of those "look how violent this is" moments just made me think less of it, not more. And this isn't exclusive of Doom but it seemed to stick out more here because there was really nothing else beside that extreme violence.

Looks very, very good! Seems like they will be focusing on what Doom does best: killing demons. Doom is all about mechanics and killing stuff, story side is minimal. I'll be definitely getting this.

I think it looks fun. Nothing groundbreaking, but it looks incredible and seems like fast paced brain-less shooter. Just what I want for a Doom title.

I don't know why everyone is down on it here on GAF. They obviously scrapped the Call of Doom bullshit and just made it a fast and fun FPS game. We'll see how fun it feels, it certainly looks cool.

The enemy design could've been a little more inspired, but overall, I'm looking forward to this!

Stevey

Eh..

Kinda generic and forgettable. Like Doom 3. Especially enemies, the all look like bland zombie variations. It seems distinctly less satisfying when shooting or killing an enemy than it did 20 years ago. It's amazing that those 1993 sprites still work way better then those ultra realistic enemies. Lighting is too realistic for it's own good. It's a game, it doesn't need to be a realistic space-military simulation, Dumb it down.

At least level design didn't seem too bad.

10/10
Amazing

NBtoaster

No, it's not.

I'm not talking about a 'how pretty about the colors is'

Playing original Doom you have to think fast mixing map layout with enemy colors on screen to find a safe path where you can kill them in the right order. Old Doom isn't a full straight forward kill after kill game.

When your concept of color is to apply the same gradation and tone to the whole scene including enemies on screen, you completely lose the strategic component of enemy encounters. Especially if there are vents, fake windows or spawn points that continually cheat on your plan of action.

But most of what you said is wrong. Projectiles are still dodgeable because they have an arc and charge up time (and hitscan attacks in the originals were not dodgeable at all). The only two enemy shapes that are similar are the Imp and Hell Knight and one is obviously much bigger, and they clearly behave differently, with the imp often scrambling on four legs.

And its actually harder to find an enemy that ISNT reacting to shots in the demos. Also being overwhelmed at helpless was really only a Doom 3 thing, Doomguy in the originals was a killing machine (also refelcted in the novels). Blood is clearly red too.

dark10x

But most of what you said is wrong. Projectiles are still dodgeable because they have an arc and charge up time (and hitscan attacks in the originals were not dodgeable at all). The only two enemy shapes that are similar are the Imp and Hell Knight and one is obviously much bigger, and they clearly behave differently, with the imp often scrambling on four legs.

And its actually harder to find an enemy that ISNT reacting to shots in the demos. Also being overwhelmed at helpless was really only a Doom 3 thing, Doomguy in the originals was a killing machine (also refelcted in the novels). Blood is clearly red too.
Plus, the melee kills are optional - you could just shoot downed enemies as normal.

Ulysses 31

Looks like a big improvement over Doom 3. I like.

Though it seems to take the floating arm+weapon appeach save for some landing cut scenes where you can see your lower body. This also explains why you're not casting any shadow in the environment. =((((((((((((((

Edit: Explosions only light up their direct surroundings, enemies and other objects in blast radius don't cast shadows.

Bl@de

Just saw that there is a trailer too. That E1M1 Remix. The Blood. People call this boring? Hope you all get your guts ripped out by a Cyberdemon. My Opinion of Doom:

tumblr_np4zeiqyNo1r7rm1so2_500.gif

Scotch

Count me in the "meh" camp for now. Most importantly, the weapon sounds disappoint. They made this big deal about having the double shotgun, but it sounds underwhelming. Like they completely missed what made the original so awesome to use. And that plasma rifle? Jeez. They all need a lot more oomph.

The recent Wolfenstein games had the same problem. Although the gunplay was still great, with better sound it could have been incredible.

Top Bottom