• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Doom The Dark Ages Announced | Xbox Showcase 2024

Wow it's DOOM Souls huh, he has a shield and there's a parry system now LMAO

On the up side he rides a dragon that shoots a beam down giant enemy throats like Godzilla does so that's cool

RickSanchez

I came here to say that i also came, but is see that you came here before me to say that you also came.

On a more specific note, it looks like they have focused on what players liked most about Eternal. Which is basically more guns, weapons, demons, gore and fast movement. And they showed what looked like gameplay for almost the entire trailer. ID scoring bangers as usual.

Last edited:

Icymanipulator

Gold Member
It just clashes so bad with what is essentially high fantasy magitek armor

Like… what’s a cape doing other then getting in the way?

I also feel like the DoomSlayer himself wouldn’t even bother with one. In a way it goes against his no non sense mindset.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Not sure I need parryshit in my Doom games but I do appreciate ID mixing things up (even if I didn't really like Eternal).

Imagine just releasing an announce trailer with tons of gameplay, that shows off a bunch of stuff. Feels like ID is one of the few studios that actually get it, and maybe the only one at MS.

Icymanipulator

Gold Member
Not sure I need parryshit in my Doom games but I do appreciate ID mixing things up (even if I didn't really like Eternal).

Imagine just releasing an announce trailer with tons of gameplay, that shows off a bunch of stuff. Feels like ID is one of the few studios that actually get it, and maybe the only one at MS.
When I saw the shield parry I got kind of hype.
Hopefully there’s a Marauder level enemy that you can go back and forth with. Man. More think about it more hyped I’m getting.

I’m very curious what mechanics from eternal will carry over too. Eternal felt like a dance of mayhem when you got into a flow state.

It just clashes so bad with what is essentially high fantasy magitek armor

Like… what’s a cape doing other then getting in the way?

I also feel like the DoomSlayer himself wouldn’t even bother with one. In a way it goes against his no non sense mindset.
Doom has been known for its realism.

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
I missed that this was confirmed day one for PS5. Good on Xbox for following through instead of worrying about the reaction of a fringe group.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Doom has been known for its realism.
It is not realism it is character and lore consistency. Nothing to do with it being fantasy or realism driving the game.

Still, the pros heavily outweigh the cons in this trailer. It seems like we are finally getting levels where fighting is more organic and not confined to specific “rooms”/arenas.

Ovek

7Member7
I see someone at ID thinks a Doom game needs more than a paragraph of text in the readme.txt file in the game directory.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
The top brass at Microsoft really are a bunch of morons. You finally get games people would like to play and you port them Day 1 on a rival platform?

They kept trash like Starfield and Redfall exclusive but they port their good stuff. Sony isn’t even entertaining the idea of Lego Horizon on Xbox and they snatched Stellar Blade ride from under Microsoft’s nose. It’s like they haven’t got the faintest idea of what they are doing.

Michael Jordan Reaction GIF

Last edited:

hlm666

The top brass at Microsoft really are a bunch of morons. You finally get games people would like to play and you port them Day 1 on a rival platform?

They kept trash like Starfield and Redfall exclusive but they port their good stuff. Sony isn’t even entertaining the idea of Lego Horizon on Xbox and they snatched Stellar Blade ride from under Microsoft’s nose. It’s like they haven’t got the faintest idea of what they are doing.

Michael Jordan Reaction GIF
Would rather see everything multiplat instead of shit not going gamepass day 1, everyone wins this way. Would be annoying wondering if X ms published game was going to be day 1 gamepass or not.

I really like the horror/sci-fi mix of Doom being on Mars. I wish the game stayed in that kind of lane. The lore in Eternal didn't do much for me. But hey, the games are fun to play.

Toots

Gold Member
"Finally the doom x fantasy crossover i've been longing for" said no one except the dude who wanted to unload his ms paint art once again :messenger_sunglasses:

Rip and tear my young hylian warrior

2k7bqYi.jpeg

I wish some people would stop answering any critic towards Doom Eternal with "skill issue". Someone bought the game expecting more Doom 2016, didn't like what they got, and that's all.
Same with people who didn't like Darksiders 3, because they wanted more "Darksiders" and less Dark Souls, and that perfectly valid. And all of these - Doom 2016 and Doom Eternal, Dark siders 1, 2 and 3 - are still great games.

GinSama

Looks like they will have bigger arenas.
Curious to see if they will do the same game loop form Eternal.

Hyped for new Doom that's for sure.

BlackTron

Gold Member
Looks good so far, i'd like to see if it's more 2016 or Eternal to make up my mind.

I walked in wondering the same, but so far, it seems like its own new thing. Just having that focus on melee weapons practically makes it an anti-eternal with its ammo mechanics.

Mechanically I don't expect a copy of 2016, but the game will likely veer in that direction just for having simpler rules of engagement.

Laptop1991

I walked in wondering the same, but so far, it seems like its own new thing. Just having that focus on melee weapons practically makes it an anti-eternal with its ammo mechanics.

Mechanically I don't expect a copy of 2016, but the game will likely veer in that direction just for having simpler rules of engagement.
Yeah, i hope so, i wasn't a fan of Eternal's style personally, i couldn't replay it like i did 2016, i'm looking forward to finding out more.

Laptop1991

I really liked 2016 but personally didn't finish Eternal, meh. Doesn't feel like a Doom game to me
I think it was part of Zenimax/Bethesda's push for a live service game as it was just Deathmatch arena after DM arena with wall traversal in between and then hope the MP side takes off, because they added a rootkit patch that upset a lot of the players and had to remove it, i never felt immersed in a DOOM game when i played it, it was the same thing over and over and the battles became boring for me even though they were frantic.

Last edited:
Shield, swords, Serious Sam hordes... I can't get myself to care about this goofy direction they're taking the franchise in.

DOOM: The Dark Ages is a single-player action FPS that tells the epic cinematic origin story of the DOOM Slayer's rage
Cinematic origin story...Doom...? What? Does anyone who plays Doom give a shit or read those idiotic lore entries?

Stafford

It's gonna be awesome. I absolutely loved Eternal. I hope it won't be late 2025 though, I neeeeeeeed this sooner.

That being said, i have still the two Eternal expansions to play!

Tg89

Looks super interesting. I'm a little concerned with the parry and all that stuff, I just wanna shoot shit and Eternal was already going a little overboard on getting in the way of that by forcing you to rotate through all your guns and shit.

Top Bottom