• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Doom The Dark Ages Announced | Xbox Showcase 2024

Braag

I gotta get back to Eternal to see if I can like it, it was cool until the resources management hit me, thing is that I didn't know the chainsaw just had a cooldown and could be kinda spammed so knowing that maybe I won't find the same issues.
I played Doom 2016 same way I play all games with consumables. I saved them for later and never ended up using them.
In Eternal I was constantly using the chainsaw, flamer and grenades because 1 charge always regenerated back fairly quickly, allowing you to just spam them. And it was almost impossible to survive many encounters without using those consumables.

sachos

This looks amazing! Doom with medieval setting is so interesting to me, really makes you wonder what a Quake Remake/Reboot with the original Q1 style would look like. Looks to be more horde based combat in an open world, i wonder if they will integrate some more open exploration and RPG elements. Looks like you can parry with the shield. Only thing weird is the complete lack of headbobing, it looks as if the slayer is sliding around the trailer.

This looks amazing! Doom with medieval setting is so interesting to me, really makes you wonder what a Quake Remake/Reboot with the original Q1 style would look like. Looks to be more horde based combat in an open world, i wonder if they will integrate some more open exploration and RPG elements. Looks like you can parry with the shield. Only thing weird is the complete lack of headbobing, it looks as if the slayer is sliding around the trailer.
I think that’s what this is.

SpiceRacz

Glad they’re going in a different direction with the series. I loved ‘16 and Eternal, but I don’t know if I want just more of the same.

Apocryphon

Well… there you have it…

At the start of every development cycle, I play the original Doom again, and have the team play it too. I realized that we still didn't hit the mark.
I noticed right away how slow those projectiles move – it just dawned on me that that is the maze. The movement is more horizontal as you weave your way between the projectiles, and every projectile mattered in the original Doom.
We couldn't go any higher in the air than Doom Eternal. That was a great experience, but we want each game to stand on its own..
We're making strafing-to-aim a thing again. You'll be weaving between projectiles, just like you did in the original Doom, to deliver that Super Shotgun blast to the chest… It almost creates this three-dimensional 'shoot 'em up' puzzle that you're weaving your way through.

Flatter field with much less verticality and air movement than Eternal and an emphasis on projectile avoidance and large numbers of enemies. Should be good but it will certainly disappoint those than stan Eternal.

Last edited:
Well… there you have it…

Flatter field with much less verticality and air movement than Eternal and an emphasis on projectile avoidance and large numbers of enemies. Should be good but it will certainly disappoint those than stan Eternal.
I am now slightly interested again!

I'm also glad to see the vomit-inducing Nickelodeon color palette gone. The UI and HUD in Eternal were some of the most garish shit ever in a game.

Kurotri

Well… there you have it…

Yessss this is music to my ears! I loved 2016 but really disliked Eternal. Glad they are toning that shit down.

solidus12

Alex Bugaga was hoping that it would be exclusive to Xbox

pndrGgB.png

Funny GIF

Last edited:
Top Bottom