• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age 4 is Officially called Dragon Age: Dreadwolf

nowhat

Dragon Age: Dragon Sex
20110401-M-a70BVh-p1.jpg
20110401-M-a70BVh-p2.jpg
20110401-M-a70BVh-p3.jpg

(apologies if the formatting is off, I didn't realize Penny Arcade separates their comics into different images)

Kacho

I don't want to judge a game before there is at least a playable demo but EA knows this is do or die right?
That's what makes this project so fascinating to me.

The people we saw in the original announce video were your typical 'California' types with the danger hair and glasses. On top of a bunch of no name people working on core gameplay systems. Hard to be optimistic about that.

Ultimately there's the Dragon Age game everyone wants and the Dragon Age we're expecting to get. We'll have to wait and see how bad things turn out, but with the fate of BioWare studios on the line, it's going to be a beautiful disaster if they don't deliver.

CamHostage

Is it only me but I’m a little surprise by the purple color. I don’t really associate the purple color with dragon age.
Was it the case in previous game?
Not just purple. Purple and pink and almost neon-bloom glow... it seems much more modern and electric than I would have associated with the brand. I think more "rocks and fire and ice and blood" when I think Dragon Age branding.

BprNSAAs_400x400.jpg

I wonder if that's indicative of the game, or just a random design choice?

Last edited:

Fbh

sooooo...

Are Dragon Age 1-3 worth playing?

1 is the best, by far. It has the best plot and characters, and it's also the one that feels the most like a proper RPG and older style Bioware game. Some mechanics might feel dated though and it has always been kinda ugly.
2 was a big step down, felt very cheap and rushed, like they were given a third of the time and budget of the first one to make a sequel. There's very few locations and enemies, the visuals are ugly, the city where it all takes place feels dead and artificial, etc.
3 was a big step up in terms of presentation, maxed out on PC it still looks great IMO, the music was great too. But the combat is very bland, the story is just ok and it all gets bogged down by a ton of boring MMO style fetch quests and checklist open world design. The character are pretty bad too.

Last edited:

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
I sure hope 70% of the characters are gay and spend half the game talking about how difficult it is living as a homosexual.
Plus they will all be involved in tender, loving, totally boring and drama-free same-sex relationships that will be featured prominently in the story. Not because it’s good storytelling, more to serve as a teaching tool for us cis hetero normies.

I'm not playing this based on the previous games (after the first one) being shit... also the lead writers twitter bio is enough warning for me to stay away. I don't fuck with politics in my entertainment. I'm fucking over it.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
I'm not playing this based on the previous games (after the first one) being shit... also the lead writers twitter bio is enough warning for me to stay away. I don't fuck with politics in my entertainment. I'm fucking over it.
Wonder if they’re going to consult with the diversity experts at Feminist Frequency on this one like they did with Anthem

sooooo...

The first one is excellent, it released in 2009 and the PC version was essentially complete in 2008, which means it was written in 2006-07 and isn't woke crap. There's an expansion for DA1 that people liked but it broke the game on my PC so I never played it. DAII was a cash grab (and even its champions online have to bend into pretzels to defend it, I'm talking hardcore contrarian types only) and it's hard to find anyone with anything good to say about Inquisition anymore (although I remember people liking it when it first released).

R6Rider

Gold Member
Not just purple. Purple and pink and almost neon-bloom glow... it seems much more modern and electric than I would have associated with the brand. I think more "rocks and fire and ice and blood" when I think Dragon Age branding.

BprNSAAs_400x400.jpg

My thoughts as well.

The neon glow of Deadwolf is an odd choice.

Helghan

BprNSAAs_400x400.jpg

Might focus a lot on magic

kiphalfton

I don't want to judge a game before there is at least a playable demo but EA knows this is do or die right?

EA would rather shutter studios that showed promise, like Visceral and Pandemic. It also makes it that much more painful when you see Dice and Bioware still kicking.

• Empathy
Reactions: Fuz

TransTrender

Gold Member
sooooo...

The first one had a shitton of potential and I enjoyed it up until the point I couldn't get my 'gambits' or whatever the fuck to work correctly anymore and combat was a mess.
Interesting world and such that were ruined in the sequels.

Why make the main enemy is a Dragon Age game a quick and nimble creature? The more I think about it, the worse it gets. Maybe it will appeal to the furry crowd if there's a big titted wolfess.

I don't care what anyone says, I'm excited for this. A lot of Inquisition was a slog, undoubtedly, but the DLC's were brilliant. Trespasser in particular.

BadBurger

Many “Whelps”! Handle It!
sooooo...

Dragon Age 1 (Origins) was very good, but I don't think it aged well. 2 wasn't good at all, and 3 was so buggy for me on PC I never got further than about 45 min in. This was years after release, mind you. Two game breaking bugs - I wasn't about to start a third new game just to try and avoid them. Thankfully Valve / Steam allowed me a refund.

Top Bottom