• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age Dreadwolf Full Reveal is Next Week

Draugoth

Gold Member
dragon-age-dreadwolf.png

https://www.xbox.com/en-US/games/store/dragon-age-dreadwolf/bsdx4fnnc0dk

Welcome to Dragon Age: Dreadwolf™. Enter the world of Thedas, a vibrant land of rugged wilderness, treacherous labyrinths, and glittering cities – steeped in savage combat and secret magics. Now, the fate of this world teeters on a knife's edge.

Thedas needs a new leader; one they'll never see coming. You’ll forge a courageous fellowship to challenge the gathering storm. Friendship, drama, and romance will abound as you bring striking individuals together into an extraordinary team. Become the leader and light the beacon of hope in their darkest moments.

Full reveal Summer 2024.

Last edited:

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
A recent history of BioWare:

2014: released Dragon Age Inquisition which IMO was pretty good

2015: work on Dragon Age 4 (code name Joplin) begins as a single player story-focused game

2017: released Mass Effect Andromeda which was released in a sorry state and was mediocre. But supposedly that was because the BioWare “A-Team” were all busy working on Anthem

2017: Joplin gets canceled because they want DA4 to be a live service game instead, based on Anthem’s code

2018: Dragon Age 4 development begins now code name Morrison, set to be a live service game

2019: Anthem releases and it’s such a broken, disappointing, half baked pile of shit that it makes ME: Andromeda look like a masterpiece in comparison

2020: Bioware announces their plan to totally overhaul and reboot Anthem

2021: BioWare cancels their plan to totally overhaul and reboot Anthem

2021: Bioware decides to remove the live service components from Morrison and make DA4 into a single player game

And there was a ton of staff turnover. I’ll just copy the section from Wikipedia because it’s too much to summarize:

The project has been marked by a high turnover of leading staff. Several veteran Dragon Age staff, including Laidlaw, left the company in response to Joplin's cancellation in 2017.[3] After the 2018 restart, Mark Darrah remained as an executive producer, while Matthew Goldman took over the position of creative director for the project from 2017 to 2021.[10] By December 3, 2020, Darrah had resigned from BioWare, replaced by BioWare Austin studio head Christian Dailey as executive producer.[11] Goldman left BioWare by November 2021,[5] and was replaced as Creative Director by John Epler.[12] Dailey left BioWare in February 2022.[13] Corinne Busche became game director thereafter, Benoit Houle director of product development, and Mac Walters production director.[13] Walters in turn left BioWare in January 2023.[14] In March 2023, Darrah returned as a consultant for the game and the Mass Effect team joined the production of Dreadwolf, according to EA.[15][16]

In August 2023, BioWare fired 50 people working on Dreadwolf and the next Mass Effectgame;[17] this included Mary Kirby who was one of the series' original writers and credited with "creating Varric and the Qunari".[18] PC Gamercommented "that's not to say there are no veterans of the good old days left, but you're looking at a very different group of people than the one that made the studio's greatest hits".[18] In October, seven of them sued BioWare for additional compensation, complaining that BioWare's NDAs prevented them from adding their work on Dreadwolf to their portfolio.[19]

Last edited:

Shut0wen

Hopes and dreams of this game being good is out right destroyed knowing it was in development for 4 years as a GAAS before turning into a single player game, its literally gunna be like inquestion, boring af side quests with a meh main story

Humdinger

Gold Member
A recent history of BioWare:

2014: released Dragon Age Inquisition which IMO was pretty good

2015: work on Dragon Age 4 (code name Joplin) begins as a single player story-focused game

2017: released Mass Effect Andromeda which was released in a sorry state and was mediocre. But supposedly that was because the BioWare “A-Team” were all busy working on Anthem

2017: Joplin gets canceled because they want DA4 to be a live service game instead, based on Anthem’s code

2018: Dragon Age 4 development begins now code name Morrison, set to be a live service game

2019: Anthem releases and it’s such a broken, disappointing, half baked pile of shit that it makes ME: Andromeda look like a masterpiece in comparison

2020: Bioware announces their plan to totally overhaul and reboot Anthem

2021: BioWare cancels their plan to totally overhaul and reboot Anthem

2021: Bioware decides to remove the live service components from Morrison and make DA4 into a single player game

And there was a ton of staff turnover. I’ll just copy the section from Wikipedia because it’s too much to summarize:

The project has been marked by a high turnover of leading staff. Several veteran Dragon Age staff, including Laidlaw, left the company in response to Joplin's cancellation in 2017.[3] After the 2018 restart, Mark Darrah remained as an executive producer, while Matthew Goldman took over the position of creative director for the project from 2017 to 2021.[10] By December 3, 2020, Darrah had resigned from BioWare, replaced by BioWare Austin studio head Christian Dailey as executive producer.[11] Goldman left BioWare by November 2021,[5] and was replaced as Creative Director by John Epler.[12] Dailey left BioWare in February 2022.[13] Corinne Busche became game director thereafter, Benoit Houle director of product development, and Mac Walters production director.[13] Walters in turn left BioWare in January 2023.[14] In March 2023, Darrah returned as a consultant for the game and the Mass Effect team joined the production of Dreadwolf, according to EA.[15][16]

In August 2023, BioWare fired 50 people working on Dreadwolf and the next Mass Effectgame;[17] this included Mary Kirby who was one of the series' original writers and credited with "creating Varric and the Qunari".[18] PC Gamercommented "that's not to say there are no veterans of the good old days left, but you're looking at a very different group of people than the one that made the studio's greatest hits".[18] In October, seven of them sued BioWare for additional compensation, complaining that BioWare's NDAs prevented them from adding their work on Dreadwolf to their portfolio.[19]

Boy, that does not instill much confidence...

Humdinger

Gold Member
Where is the "full reveal is next week" coming from? I see "full reveal summer 2024" on the webpage linked, but I don't see any reference to next week.

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Solas in particular was quite dramatic at the end of inquisition. After that lead up to the ending and the well of sorrow I think they’ll be a lot of attention on elves as a species.

After Anthem and Andromeda, unless BioWare had some sort of long night of the soul reflection and somehow magically EA isn't being EA with monetization and somehow they got back the old writing talent from the golden age of the company, I don't understand how anyone could have faith in this company and this game.

I could be wrong but there is a lot of conditionals for this not being utter modern AAA shit.

Last edited:

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
I've no expectations at all. It can be even worse than Inquisition or at the same exact level with outdated conversation system, animations etc. Can't even imagine that combat system will be even close to the first Dragon's Dogma, let alone remake. Also can't see how they're going to beat BG3 in pretty much everything. The game should've came out like 4-5 years ago, but now.... Good luck.

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Will this be a proper CRPG? Or an action RPG? I remember seeing some very early stuff with action combat and over the shoulder camera.

Last edited:

Sentenza

WIll this be a proper CRPG? Or an action RPG? I remember seeing some very early stuff with action combat and over the shoulder camera.
Unless there was some drastic and sudden change of plans it was already confirmed (and even leaked in some clip) that the combat would be action.
The leaked clip didn't look particularly encouraging, for the record.

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
It will be a dumbed down action RPG. Dont expect anything close to BG or even the first game
Unless there was some drastic and sudden change of plans it was already confirmed (and even leaked in some clip) that the combat would be action.
BioWare is so done, man.

40Oz Pour One Out GIF

Cautiously optimistic. Anthem was just so awful, in so many different ways, that I'm wary of Bioware being capable of putting something out of high quality in this day & age. It's been a long time.

It will be a dumbed down action RPG. Dont expect anything close to BG or even the first game
In all likelihood the best point of comparison for this gam would be Inquisition. So if you liked that game, well, look out!

Top Bottom