• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age: The Veilguard Early Preview Thread

Švejk

Combat looks way better than Dragon's Dogma 2 and this is the very beginning of the game.
charlie-murphy-laugh.gif

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
Lol 3 abilities....gtfo. that shit looked so bad, bioware is dead to me.

How hard is it to make a game like origins in an era where bg3 is goty.
Not many RPGs have you start at Level 1 with full sky trees bro...lol, it looked great considering you were at the litteral start of the game. There's pics/footage of the skill/ability wheels in total action - you can control your mates like in ol' Shep did.

T4keD0wN

Looks like a repurposed mobile game.

My expectations were already low, but Holy shit.
It gives me those vibes too, but its kind of in line with Inquisition. Not the bar id expect 10 years later, but it could be worse.
Seems just decent enough for the story to be able to carry it, but its hard to trust them to deliver on that front either after Andromeda and Anthem.
Not many RPGs have you start at Level 1 with full sky trees bro...lol, it looked great considering you were at the litteral start of the game. There's pics/footage of the skill/ability wheels in total action - you can control your mates like in ol' Shep did.
I am sure that there will be a lot of spells/abilities, but 3 active slots that are suggested by the UI is not much.

Last edited:

Arachnid

This looked really bad. The combat, the atmosphere, the dialogue, the character/enemies designs. all of it. Wtf was with that pride demon? When did we go from actual demons to floating armor made of light? This is a pride demon:

513313536.jpg

All the demons in general looked corny as hell vs stuff we used to have

Dragon-Age-Every-Demon-Type.jpg

Last edited:

LectureMaster

Gold Member
Okay, watched the full gameplay video and thoughts are mixed.

1. The graphics are very solid. The video uses Playstation button prompts, if this is running on PS5, that is very impressive. The art style is less repugnant than the reveal trailer, but certainly don't feel like this is a dark fantasy saga.

2. Huge let down of the combat system change. The action combat feels more floaty and shallow even than Witcher 3. And the RPG elements are missing a hell, what's the point of rolling a rogue if you can't even go stealth in combat? (I'm sure it's probably there in the skill tree but stealth has always been a default skill). Without a proper tank-healer-dps system, the combat gonna lack depth, and so far feels very generic.

3. The butchered the OG trilogy's combat fabric by not letting player control companions anymore. One of a in-depth aspects of DA is that there are so many specializations you simply can't have on the main character, playing companions with various specs added a lot of fun but now it's completely gone.

4. My biggest worrying is the writing, but so far I don't hate it. The problem is that those characters are so disconnected from what they were in the previous games. Varric is the master of humor and sarcasm, even if the sky was ripped off a big hole he wouldn't stop kidding. But look at him in the prologue, he becomes that concerned and sentimental guy.
Solas is even worse, in trespasser he was set up to be one of the most dope antagonists. He's ripping the veil because he felt like it was him failed his own people and caused their decimation and he had to fix that. You can clearly sense his inner conflict in the dialogues. But now Solas is just another generic mad villain that wants the world to end. A huge downgrading from the previous setup.

I guess I still hold a sliver of hope the game will turn out decent. Dragon Age is such a good series that doesn't deserve to die.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
This "amazing" gameplay made me revisit the classic "The Revenge of Shit Mountain" topic, mainly to look for "press A for awesome" gif, but it seems like all pictures from it are gone. What a shame :/ One can hope that at least the OT for The Veilguard may become a worthy succesor of TRoSM.

I was thinking just the same watching it....

I also realized the game treats the character skills as "powerups" and instead of strategic systems like resources or cooldowns that you have to juggle it requires you to use your normal attack x times to allow you to use a skill. In the trailer you can only bank two uses, unknown if it's something that will increase as you level up. This is so dumb.

Superkewl

well, it looks better than what we saw a couple days ago, but still dont think I will play it. Reminds me of Inquisition, which I never could finish due to boredom.

Bkdk

Banned
Please just shut the studio down already. better to have a grave to remember its best times than being turned into a multi gender zombie.

Life Diff

Neo Member
This looked really bad. The combat, the atmosphere, the dialogue, the character/enemies designs. all of it. Wtf was with that pride demon? When did we go from actual demons to floating armor made of light? This is a pride demon:

513313536.jpg

Sadly we are never going back. Generic ass designs for the Marvel crowd. Think we know why they wouldn't go for 'dreadwolf' as its too gothic for the cute art.

Last edited:

Denton

"You've made a valiant effort, but this story does not end with my downfall."

Proceeds to fall down due to our Main Hero moving a piece of wood.

What is it with these western studios? Why are they so bad at this?
This really does look kind of generic and uninteresting. Granted, I wasn't huge fan of Inquisition, but this appeals even less I think.

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
Finished watching. I'm hyped.
It's the beginning of the game, so can't expect too much.

Graphics are great.
Combat looked solid.
Dialog is... passable.
No judgment of scene directing, as it's the opening of the game and there's urgency for the characters.

As of right now, I plan to get this, next year. I liked DA:I, so hope this is better.
Yeah half the peeps who are having a moan (which was me too, until I saw this) are going on about the combat being basic.....it's a level one character in a long-ass RPG, of course it's going to be basic with 1 ability available on cooldown lol.

Bet they'll release a later game example vid soon, with tons of combos and hopefully some synced attacks, that'd be mint.

Also, like I hate woke stuff as much as the next guy, but attacking those 2 just cause they're queer (Game Director & Patrick Weekes) is a bit lame guys. Hasn't Patrick been at BioWare for decades? I'm pretty sure he wrote a lot of Origins with Laidlaw.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member

513313536.jpg

You should thank the lord that a creature called pride demon and made by modern bioware wasn't just a white catholic straight dude :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

Last edited:

ebevan91

It gives me those vibes too, but its kind of in line with Inquisition. Not the bar id expect 10 years later, but it could be worse.
Seems just decent enough for the story to be able to carry it, but its hard to trust them to deliver on that front either after Andromeda and Anthem.

I am sure that there will be a lot of spells/abilities, but 3 active slots that are suggested by the UI is not much.

Yeah there could a couple dozen abilities per class but it doesn’t mean much if can only use 3 at a time. Guess they’re going the ME:A route.

J3nga

I haven't played previous dragon ages but I'm neutral to the series. I watched 6 mins before turning it off as I was full of it. Looks super bland and generic. Doubt I'll get into the series with Veilguard.

Quantum253

I wanted real-time combat (and it to be fun at that) and this sure seems like it. I really like the art style during gameplay, location looked great too. I really cannot hate on this. They never should have made that first trailer though.
I like this style of combat as well. It would be worth keeping an eye on

They should hire Jade Raymond to direct the next game. She could save this franchise. <3
Whats with people commenting about her? She didn't program or design a game, she is just a producer. A producer handles the money/Business and schedule side of game making, not the actual construction and art direction.

Also she wouldn't save shit. The new game she is producing is an ultra woke extraction shooter - Steal from the rich in Fairgame$, which makes Dragon Age look like dark fantasy in comparison. Some just like her because she was attractive, and produced AC1, but that means squat in current day.

Is that dude in the purple the main character? Do you get to make your own like in past Dragon Age games, or do you have to play as him? If it was just him as an optional side character I wouldn't mind, but the rest of the cast sucks. I also would hate to play a non created character dragon age game. Do you get to change armor/gear? Being stuck in some bright purple tunic isn't appealing.

Not that I am going to bother to play this, as the cast looks like wokeville on steroids. Maybe I'll try it when it hits $10 like tlou2.

Sometimes it feels like western devs got mandated to use their weirdo "progressive stack" instead of just making cool characters that fit into lore.

AJUMP23

I thought Dragon Age was more strategic combat....not turn based but you could pause give commands and the dice rolls were behind the scenes.

Because of course noone is straight!!! :messenger_tears_of_joy: Easy pass on this wokefest

Typical grumzz garbage tweet. It means every companion is romanceable you muppets. How is that a bad thing? I doubt any of you would complain if Panam or Judy would be bi, hell theres mods for that, which were praised for both being bi. Dont see how this is anything but a win since you can just pick whoever you want to romance now. Dragon Age Origins also has BI companions.

Last edited:
Because of course noone is straight!!! :messenger_tears_of_joy: Easy pass on this wokefest

They aren't limiting who your character can romance, I don't see the problem there. I guess they can all start to be attracted to each other too which is kind of funny. What's the point of putting in romance options if the character you want to romance isn't attainable? It's not a gay vs straight thing in this case it's about letting you have your own game work the way you want it to.

MujkicHaris

Whats with people commenting about her? She didn't program or design a game, she is just a producer. A producer handles the money/Business and schedule side of game making, not the actual construction and art direction.

Also she wouldn't save shit. The new game she is producing is an ultra woke extraction shooter - Steal from the rich in Fairgame$, which makes Dragon Age look like dark fantasy in comparison. Some just like her because she was attractive, and produced AC1, but that means squat in current day.

She started as a programmer for Sony. Also, she co-created Assassin's Creed and Watch Dogs. You can hate all you want, I think she is a great game developer and she left a big mark on the industry.

Top Bottom