• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest composer Koichi Sugiyama has passed away at age 90

clem84

Gold Member
Damn, that's a big one. He's responsible for some incredible and iconic music.

I mean, having some shitty beliefs may not necessarily mean you're an irredeemable piece of shit.

Plus how sure are we that all that stuff that's been said about him is entirely accurate?

Still, most cases I'd like to separate the art from the artist. If what he's purported to have said is indeed true that's pretty crappy then.

Still not gonna dance over his grave like a fucking nut.
First reasonable comment I've read here or elsewhere.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
The only one that I really have fond memories of is Dragon Quest 1 on NES. Played through that with my mom a lot back in the day. That overworld theme is burned into my DNA.

I'm looking forward to seeing a new composer add to the series.

Velius

Banned
He made beautiful music and he lived a good, long life. He was loved by all his family and friends, and even by many strangers.
Rest in peace

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
RIP to a legend!!! BTW....you all that are shitting on this man and being happy for his death for what may or may not even be true, need to take that Era type mentality over there instead. Be better.

I don’t get the mental gymnastics of that, it’s not like the world has 10 artists. If Leonardo da Vinci was a child molester would we be having Mona Lisa in the Louvre?

Sugiyama was a thrash of a human being and the world is a better place without him, sad the reaper waited for 90 years to do his duty.
No offense, but the difference between holding a view or belief and actually commiting a heinous crime is as wide a gap as you can find, and misconstruing the two is a retard tier take.

Grow up.

On topic though he made great music, I just wish he didn't shit up the dq11 ost situation so much. Gonna miss his music.

LordCBH

I don’t get the mental gymnastics of that, it’s not like the world has 10 artists. If Leonardo da Vinci was a child molester would we be having Mona Lisa in the Louvre?

Sugiyama was a thrash of a human being and the world is a better place without him, sad the reaper waited for 90 years to do his duty.

Do us all a favor and fuck off. And I mean that with every bit of offense possible.

Saber

Gold Member
Sad that one of marks of DQ is passing away. DQ is as just a nostalgic and influential as its music and art.

Quite sad too to hear people is happy for the lost of old man. For all this counts, I trully respect his music. Hope the man finds rest and peace.

Cyberpunkd

Do us all a favor and fuck off. And I mean that with every bit of offense possible.
I'm sorry if I celebrate someone that denied unspeakable atrocities committed against helpless civilians. But hey - he made some sick videogame music, that makes everything good again!

Also - calm the fuck down, these are only videogames.

Deanington

People ( I ) really need to get off their fucking high horses already, nobody is perfect. I try to take accountability for my own actions if I hurt somebody, try to judge less, and sometimes is able to look at myself when I do judge. Also, thoughts, beliefs, opinions etc do change and should. Whats said today can change today. I need to try stop judging people on what they said/did. It's threads like these that sometimes remind me to check myself too. I can be a dick. Apologies for the off topic Dear Diary. The guys passing and comments made me do some reflecting.

RoboFu

One of the green rats

He is a convicted felon now? lol He hasnt done anything close to molesting children. His biggest deal was that he was patriot against anti-japanese media. oh no!! throw him in with the child molestors!!

Last edited:

Cyberpunkd

Fushitsusha

Banned
Last edited:

Cyberpunkd

He is a convicted felon now? lol He hasnt done anything close to molesting children. His biggest deal was that he was patriot against anti-japanese media. oh no!! throw him in with the child molestors!!
Nanjing Massacre is widely documented. I guess by the same logic Nazis were patriots as well.

I'm out of this thread and will not respond further to people quoting, I will let you guys mourn a PoS human that happened to make a good music.

Last edited:

kanjobazooie

Mouse Ball Fetishist
I'm sorry if I celebrate someone that denied unspeakable atrocities committed against helpless civilians. But hey - he made some sick videogame music, that makes everything good again!
The majority of people here have already acknowledged his shitty views, but we can still celebrate his work at the same time. That doesn't make us accomplices or anything.

We like the music, not his beliefs.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Just so you guys know, any comments in a thread like this are like 99% performative theater. No one here met the guy. No one here thought about this person yesterday or what he was doing on planet earth. Apparently he's been dead for a week and no one even knew.

People will compliment him like they knew him personally as a dear family member. And others will comment about how his death makes the world a better place because he's vile. It's all exaggerated.

Here's the facts:
1) Denying some of the most prominent atrocities in WWII is not okay. This is not an SJW stance.
2) The guy is one of the most influential and important figures in video game music, and his music has touched the childhoods of gamers everywhere. He remained up until his death, one of the most loved composers in gaming in Japan.

Whatever you decide to do with those two facts is up to you.

Last edited:

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Nanjing Massacre is widely documented. I guess by the same logic Nazis were patriots as well.

I'm out of this thread and will not respond further to people quoting, I will let you guys mourn a PoS human that happened to make a good music.
actually it wasnt widely documented and thats why its so debated. But it doesn't matter. Being on the spectrum of saying not all the allegations are correct is not nearly the same as praising NAZIs. The problem is you are buying into the outrage " ALL OR NOTHING" mentality that a lot of people have today.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
I don't know about the man, but his music is wonderful and the perfect score for the amazing DQ games. RIP.

justiceiro

Marlboro: Other M
The only feeling one must have about someone's death is sorrow. If you didn't like what he believed, then lament none of us managed to change his views before he passed away.

I fear living in a society that rejoice over game composers dying.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I fear living in a society that rejoice over game composers dying.

I’m afraid of online people nowadays. Cancel Culture, witch hunts, rejoicing over death, destroying a person’s life over hearsay. It’s like people are becoming twisted and they’re not even realizing it and think they’re doing good for society.

Last edited:

PhaseJump

Banned
The guy was 10 years old and probably raised to be super patriotic to the empire. He was too young to do anything, saw his nation defeated as a teenager, and raised in occupation years. It's not hard to understand why he may have a hateful bias or denial about the shit that went down.

His age alone, regardless of those circumstances, should make people disregard his personal views and politics on progressive shit of modern times. He was a fossil. His views were a product of their time. He wasn't wielding the power to oppress anybody, so you hand waive it and if you truly care, don't support his products.

Half of the people complaining enough to witch hunt and rejoice at this man's death are hypocrites that will contribute nothing in their lives that will be comparable to his body of work.

Fatbody

The resetera topic is 300+ posts of cheering. You'd think Hitler himself just died.
Most of the animosity towards him there isn’t even over the war crimes denial. It’s over some lgbt comments that were made a few years back. They don’t give a shit about the war crimes. They’d probably commit those acts today against their political adversaries if they could.

Rran

To dump on a 90-year-old Japanese man for not agreeing with the American modern culture's views of homosexuality is ridiculous. Gay marriage just passed, what, six years ago? But I guess in today's culture, there's no such thing as nuance. There are good guys and bad guys, and if someone bad dies, it's time to celebrate because obviously we're the good guys.

Ugh...

I digress. Koichi Sugiyama was a legendary composer and he will be missed. He's been a massive influence on game music, second perhaps only to Koji Kondo himself.

Interfectum

Most of the animosity towards him there isn’t even over the war crimes denial. It’s over some lgbt comments that were made a few years back. They don’t give a shit about the war crimes. They’d probably commit those acts today against their political adversaries if they could.
"Bigotry is allowed to fester and spread because people default to upholding decorum. In a better world we'd all be celebrating the death of someone who used his wealth to help make life so miserable for so many innocent people."

This REEEE post says it all. They actually believe they are righting the wrongs in society by being childish shits spitting on tombstones AND if you don't condone or participate you are a part of the problem. Amazing.

Last edited:
Top Bottom