• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma 2 |OT| Pawnworld

R6Rider

Gold Member
qPEhBPE.jpeg

kq3e5Mp.gif

5lm4KmS.jpeg

m8LisOW.jpeg

aMe9W35.gif

K9WsdLa.jpeg

CZ3u4xw.jpeg

pg35885.gif

kZNyxU2.jpeg

RwZIT2h.jpeg

pcT6FNa.gif

IJtQsTu.jpeg

KzaZLdN.gif

gGz9wU2.jpeg

Title chosen from Draugoth Draugoth 's post in another topic.
Information is from the official website: https://www.dragonsdogma.com/2/en-us/
I'll be updating this. I plan to add more details, images, videos, etc.​

Last edited:

RickSanchez

Gold Member
I'm a casual who only plays single-player games, usually on the easiest available difficulty level, usually modded up on PC. I focus on a good story experience and exploration rather than combat. I enjoy RPGs with good player agency. I also enjoy fantasy settings (Baldur's Gate 3 was amazing).

I know nothing about this game or its predecessor. Would you recommend i jump into this ? I tried searching for reviews but it seems my trusted review sources (ACG, SkillUp & the like) have not reviewed this.

Edit: ACG's review is now up. He recommends a buy. Unfortunately i have already blown money this month on the Horizon Forbidden West PC port. Once im done with that, I'll jump into this one. Hopefully, by then, this will have gone on sale once.

Last edited:

R6Rider

Gold Member
I'm a casual who only plays single-player games, usually on the easiest available difficulty level, usually modded up on PC. I focus on a good story experience and exploration rather than combat. I enjoy RPGs with good player agency.

I know nothing about this game or its predecessor. Would you recommend i jump into this ? I tried searching for reviews but it seems my trusted review sources (ACG, SkillUp & the like) have not reviewed this.
I was really hoping they would have dropped a demo like they did for the first game. The first being among my favorite RPGs ever, I'd say this one will be even better.

That being said, you might as well wait for reviews and more impressions. No need to impulse buy.

Mephisto40

I'm a casual who only plays single-player games, usually on the easiest available difficulty level, usually modded up on PC. I focus on a good story experience and exploration rather than combat. I enjoy RPGs with good player agency. I also enjoy fantasy settings (Baldur's Gate 3 was amazing).

I would not jump into this expecting a rich story with memorable side quests, the first game is very much a "Go to this place and kill this monster > well done you did it > here is your reward, it's some experience" type game

The first game is also fairly challenging if you don't grind levels and just play through the story

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Very nice OT. Can't wait anymore to play this game, Friday can't come soon enough!

I know nothing about this game or its predecessor. Would you recommend i jump into this?
Reviews should be out today.

About the game, it has a class system of sorts, and each class (called vocation in the game) offers a different playstyle, so you might find something that appeals to you. For example, you can be a Warrior or a Fighter that fights on the front-line, an Archer or a Sorcerer that strike from affar while your pawns fight on the frontline or a Mage or Trickster that offers support while avoiding direct combat. The idea according to the devs is to offer different ways to play so everyone ends up finding a way they like.

RickSanchez

Gold Member
you can be a Warrior or a Fighter that fights on the front-line, an Archer or a Sorcerer that strike from affar while your pawns fight on the frontline or a Mage or Trickster that offers support while avoiding direct combat. The idea according to the devs is to offer different ways to play so everyone ends up finding a way they like.

This sounds good but it also sounds like its meant for co-op, however the Steam description says Single Player. So is it like Baldur's Gate 3 where your main player character is whatever vocation you select, but you also control a party of characters of other vocations ?

Last edited:

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
This sounds good but it also sounds like its meant for co-op, however the Steam description says Single Player. So is it like Baldur's Gate 3 where your main player character is whatever vocation you select, but you also control a party of characters of other vocations ?
Pawns are AI companions. You manage their class, gear, inventory and behaviors for combat.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
You get 3 other characters to go with you, and can give them commands like "follow me" or "help me" but not direct commands. The idea is to make you feel the leader of a party without the hassles that come with co-op.

RickSanchez

Gold Member
You get 3 other characters to go with you, and can give them commands like "follow me" or "help me" but not direct commands. The idea is to make you feel the leader of a party without the hassles that come with co-op.
Aah ok, more like Mass Effect, got it. Sounds like fun. But i'll still wait for reviews to drop.

GymWolf

Hopefully it's nothing like the first game where giving simple orders or playing normally would give pawns bad traits that make them utterly useless.

You pick shit from the ground? Bad trait
You call for help during battle? Bad trait
You tell em to follow you instead of wasting time with hard level enemies? Bad trait
You finally managed to get good traits for your main pawn but you have played too much with borrowed pawns with bad traits? Well tought shit, your main pawn can aquire their bad traits.
Etc.

The system in dogma 1 was obtuse and absolutely retarded, i hope they actually fixed it because it was just annoying and didn't required any skill, it was annoying just to be annoying.
What is the fucking point of getting a useless trait that make pawns picks random stuff from the ground WHILE FIGHTING because the main character pick stuff from the ground? So i should not pick stuff on the ground on a damn rpg to not get my pawns become retarded, this is not hardcore, it's room temperature iq game design.

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

Hopefully it's nothing like the first game where giving simple orders or playing normally would give pawns bad traits that make them utterly useless.

You pick shit from the ground? Bad trait
You call for help during battle? Bad trait
You tell em to follow you instead of wasting time with hard level enemies? Bad trait
You finally managed to get good traits for your main pawn but you have played too much with borrowed pawns with bad traits? Well tought shit, your main pawn can aquire their bad traits.
Etc.

The system in dogma 1 was obtuse and absolutely retarded, i hope they actually fixed it because it was just annoying and didn't required any skill, it was annoying just to be annoying.
Yeah that shit was infuriating, nothing like having your pawn change inclination in the middle of a dungeon. >_>

I believe they have simplified it quite a bit, for the better, as you pick your pawn's inclination in the character creator and that's it. Pawn's voices are tied to their inclination, so I doubt those will be able to change on the fly like they did in DD1.

GymWolf

Yeah that shit was infuriating, nothing like having your pawn change inclination in the middle of a dungeon. >_>

I believe they have simplified it quite a bit, for the better, as you pick your pawn's inclination in the character creator and that's it. Pawn's voices are tied to their inclination, so I doubt those will be able to change on the fly like they did in DD1.
Thank fucking god.

DanEON

Players can customize their own main Pawn, and enter a covenant with up to 2 additional Pawns from other players throhgh the network

So I can use only one of the pawns I've created? I thought that all my party could be from my customized pawns.

TintoConCasera

I thought that all my party could be from my customized pawns.
Nope, only one. The idea is that your pawn learns from you, so when you hire a pawn from someone else they might know stuff about quests, locations and enemies that you still don't know, and they'll be able to help you better thanks to that knowledge.

For example, they can tell you about an enemy weakness, or guide you through a quest.

Last edited:

Majukun

the main issue of the first one for me was always that it was repetitive but also kinda shallow, in the sense that you were given a lot of options in the combat that were never actually necessary, and every encounter kinda became samey when you realize that.

they told me it gets much better in the dlc, but i never continued playing it ...maybe i should finish the first plus dlc before i consider buyying this one.

this being said, it does seem to be better in both regards from the footage

R6Rider

Gold Member
nice work. im still on the fence w/ this game though. i love great combat in games but the managing of team members is one of my least favorite things in games
You'll be managing your pawn's gear and skills, and maybe setting their aggressiveness and tactics slightly, but like the first game I'm assuming it's not super deep.

Most of the time you'll be doing your thing in combat while the pawns are doing theirs. You won't be in the middle of combat constantly directing pawns.

DavidGzz

#1 on Steam top sellers now.

Also, I'm psyched that it unlocks at 6pm tomorrow on Steam!
nice work. im still on the fence w/ this game though. i love great combat in games but the managing of team members is one of my least favorite things in games

You equip one pawn. The other two you'll most likely be swapping in and out since they don't level with you unless that changed in the sequel. You don't have to worry about their gear. It's super simple.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
I'm going to fence sit this one as I am still slowly working through the first game. If there are enough QOL improvements maybe I will make the switch. Regardless, excited to see games of this caliber and that respect the players intelligence coming out.

Interfectum

I'm going to fence sit this one as I am still slowly working through the first game. If there are enough QOL improvements maybe I will make the switch. Regardless, excited to see games of this caliber and that respect the players intelligence coming out.
Makes me want to support the game at launch even if I don't have time to play it right now.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Makes me want to support the game at launch even if I don't have time to play it right now.
Yeah same. Glad to see it's been selling well at least on Steam. Capcom & the devs deserve a massive bonus.

I can easily see myself caving and picking it up before the weekend.

SaiyanRaoh

Except for the casual part and playing on the easiest difficulty, I'm right with you. Don't let any one shame you in thinking playing exclusively single player is unusual. I don't enjoy playing with other people either. As long as the game doesn't force me into it and it's not broken, I'm there for purchase tomorrow.

Top Bottom