• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma 2 Releases on Steam with $40 worth of microtransactions .Currently with 'Mostly Negative' Reviews on Steam

Kacho

I am just in the camp MTX doesn't bother me, if its something I want I grab it

I tend to grab silly little shit often in games I enjoy simply because I want it but doesn't make me dumb nor bad at that game.
He isn’t attacking you. He’s speaking generally.

Faust

Perpetually Tired
Staff Member
I am just in the camp MTX doesn't bother me, if its something I want I grab it

I tend to grab silly little shit often in games I enjoy simply because I want it but doesn't make me dumb nor bad at that game.
That isn’t an attack against you. Just a general statement at how utterly pointless this mtx is. The time you save is like 20-40 minutes of gameplay across 150+ hours. It really doesn’t do much for the player.

Last edited:

thuGG_pl

If you're incapable of disabling cloud saves and deleting local files, you probably shouldn't be gaming on PC. That's basic stuff.

I've had to do that with several games in the past because of Steam Cloud overwriting local files. It's not limited to this game.
Basic stuff is having "new game" option in the menus. This is malicious to force people to cash out. Stop justifying greedy practices.

That's not a solution, that's bearing with it.
We can't vote with our wallets because there are enough idiots who buy this shit up and it changes the way we are used to SP game offerings.
This is absolutely correct and needs to be said more.

Superkewl

Gold Member
The amount of "just ignore it" and "its completely optional" and "stop whining" comments in this thread make me think GAF is being invaded by Capcom's PR personnel.
I believe the practice is detestable; however, the idea that someone with a differing view is a paid advocate is absurd.

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
"pay to create a new character/save file"

shaq-laughingn.gif

SaintALia

Pawn Inclinations. It seems you need to pay rift crystals in order to change inclinations? First DD, you could sit them down(via Knowledge chair) or buy different pots to change them. The fact that you can buy RC and buy pots with irl money, but it assigns a random inclination seems sorta shitty tbh. Changing vocations for your pawn could require a change of inclination as well, you don't want your sorcerer trying to hang off large enemies. Pawns will tend to develop their own inclinations based on other things as well, causing you to set them back to your preferred inclination. Seems like you have less inclinations in general as well, but that's not really here or there I suppose.

DD1 Inclinations
Scather
Battles large or giant foes first.

Medicant
Prioritizes healing and pre-battle preparations

Mitigator
Attacks the weaker enemies first

Challenger
Prioritizes ranged attackers and magic-using foes above others

Utilitarian
??

Guardian
Pawn stays near the Arisen and only attacks foes that enter their close quarters.

Nexus
Pawns with Nexus as 1º or 2º will carry unconscious pawns to the Arisen. Pawns with 1º are more likely to carry. Without Nexus or Medicant, they are more likely to be left to return to the rift unless "help" is requested

Pioneer
With Pioneer as 1º the pawn will travel much further away than with any other inclination (out of battle). 2º makes the pawn stand at a short distance but doesn't cause wandering.

Acquisitor
Only pawns with Acquisitor will interrupt battle actions to collect loot from foes.

Pawns use 3 inclinations in DD:DA (one is hidden)

DD2 Inclinations
Kindhearted
“Compassionate, devoted, and dutiful. The most obedient sort of Pawn. Favors a balanced approach with an emphasis on support. Quick to aid allies in need.”

Calm
“Rational, shrewd, and strategizing. A Pawn characterized by caution. Favours defense and evasion, employing clever tactics to survive at all costs.”

Simple
“Curious, earnest, and adventurous. A Pawn with their heart on their sleeve. Enjoys exploring and gathering items, and is always up for a challenge.”

Straightforward
“Candid, flippant, and impulsive. A Pawn unbound by precepts. Enjoys the thrill of combat, tackling fierce foes head-on with daring assaults.”

The camping kit stuff is shifty as hell. Selling camping gear is whatever to me, but the fact that it's lighter gives me F2P MMO vibes. Your weight will affect your combat, speed and stamina drain, and you usually want to keep as light as possible playing as certain classes, so selling light weight camping gear is kinda sus.

The port crystal thing is just funny. So many people arguing that it's actually good that DD keeps that 'hardcore ethos' of making us travel and the Capcom devs spoke up about it and how they aim to make travelling fun and all that, meanwhile they just had MTX lined for it the whole time.

Overall, you don't HAVE TO buy any of this MTX, but the fact that it's there in a $70 game, revealed after the review period is just...yeah.
Oh and it seems some reviewers did know about the MTX...but in all the reviews I've seen I've never seen it mentioned..yeahh...
Just another day in the videogame industry I guess.

Last edited:

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
The original also launched with similar microtransactions.
It's all stuff that is obtainable in game, so what's the big deal? If people want to pay for what is essentially cheats, then let them.
The only paid dlc stuff I really don't like in games is when they try to sell me the rest of the story for an unfinished game.
They launched DD: Dark Arisens in Xbox 360/PS3 which was later ported to Xbox One/PS4/Switch/PC. In this version you had the Eternal Ferrystone. Very few people played the version of the original where you had to pay for fast travel.

Last edited:
We can't vote with our wallets because there are enough idiots who buy this shit up and it changes the way we are used to SP game offerings.
Yes yes we absolutely can. These profit margins can be slim and a chunk of lost sales will hurt greedy publishers deeply. STOP BUYING AAA before things do not change. It is very simple. STOP MINDLESS CONSOOMING.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
It’s weird to take it offensively. No one is forcing people to buy the DLC. I’ll be buying whatever they have. How on earth will we get Dragon’s Dogma 3? Where’s my exp boosts?

Faust

Perpetually Tired
Staff Member
Yes yes we absolutely can. These profit margins can be slim and a chunk of lost sales will hurt greedy publishers deeply. STOP BUYING AAA before things do not change. It is very simple. STOP MINDLESS CONSOOMING.

Many folks here aren't "mindless[ly] consooming" as you put it. We looked at the package, saw gameplay, saw the MTX and learned more about the game and still decided to purchase it after making an informed decision. Immediately making the assumption that anyone who doesn't view the game or product in the same light as you are "Mindless" is silly.

Many folks here aren't "mindless[ly] consooming" as you put it. We looked at the package, saw gameplay, saw the MTX and learned more about the game and still decided to purchase it after making an informed decision. Immediately making the assumption that anyone who doesn't view the game or product in the same light as you are "Mindless" is silly.
You can do whatever you want and I will keep my opinion on that, but I was mostly challenging the notion that "voting with wallet" does not work. It absolutely does.

Meicyn

Gold Member
It's beyond deplorable. I'm not surprised but it is really frustrating to go through this OVER and OVER. And then we ask why this happens? This company keeps getting worse and worse in my eyes...

Some common examples (sorry if I missed a few as I was going through them quick):
Since I was quoted, here’s my response. It’s been happening over and over for well over a decade. Horse armor is approaching two decades old. You can scream about microtransactions from the rooftops and you know what? I don’t give a shit. I didn’t buy horse armor. I didn’t buy rift crystals for cash in 2012, and I won’t in 2024 either. However, I’m not going to miss out on great games over consumers choosing to let themselves be fleeced by the greedy bean counters in these large corporations. I don’t have the time or patience for moral crusades.

They launched DD: Dark Arisens in Xbox 360/PS3 which was later ported to Xbox One/PS4/Switch/PC. In this version you had the Eternal Ferrystone. Very few people played the version of the original where you had to pay for fast travel.
Over a million people played the original, and it was chock full of microtransactions. A million more sales occurred when Dark Arisen shipped on those same platforms. Comparatively, the PS4/Xbox One port sold 700Kish. This is straight from the Capcom leaks from several years ago. The PC version sold millions, but that port came way later and so there is no basis for comparison on microtransactions for this title.

However, given how well Monster Hunter World and Rise sold on PC and how those two titles are packed with microtransactions including options such as paying to modify your appearance, seems to me that it’s not really about microtransactions. Heck, Rise has over 250 microtransactions alone.

I’m not going to defend scummy practices, but I’m not going to have someone quote me and then fabricate a narrative. I’m also, as I said above, not going to deny myself the joy of playing another Dragon’s Dogma over Capcom corporate selling wakestones for cash. I’m having fun, I’m not buying those absurd microtransactions, and if fools are separated from their cash, that’s a them problem, not mine.

Kacho

No in general and he’s right.
Generally there’s plenty of information and gameplay footage out there to make an informed decision. If publishers were doing release day review embargo’s sure, wait on that. But with DD2 we knew what we were getting into. These post release MTX are a non-issue.

Gojiira

OR…Just play the game, see that every MTX related item can be earned in game, cry some more, get on with life…Just saying this whinging for a game like this is quite frankly unnecessary. How about you whinge and mass downvote for the REALLY predatory games like Diablo 4, COD, every Ubisoft game, yet they still sell gangbusters….Point is sights are set on the wrong game.

OR…Just play the game, see that every MTX related item can be earned in game, cry some more, get on with life…Just saying this whinging for a game like this is quite frankly unnecessary. How about you whinge and mass downvote for the REALLY predatory games like Diablo 4, COD, every Ubisoft game, yet they still sell gangbusters….Point is sights are set on the wrong game.
Yes stop whining, games are free after all... oh wait

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Basic stuff is having "new game" option in the menus. This is malicious to force people to cash out. Stop justifying greedy practices.

Its not malicious at all, don't be silly!

Honestly anyone who played the original would've expected this, and if you think about how the pawn system works it makes sense forcing the player to commit to their runs. Which essentially only means they can still tweak and respec, just based on in-game conditions and restrictions.

Sorry, but like the DLC stuff, the people complaining about it seem to fall into two camps: Those who don't understand how trivial it is (basically time-savers for lazy players), and those who do but are complaining on behalf of those who fall into the first camp!

Its a circular argument which drives clicks and gives people that little dopamine hit of "harrumphing" about meaningless stuff!

Majukun

I really don't understand the "you can earn it in game" argument

Every single mtx item available in any game gives you stuff that you can earn in game.

that is not a redeeming quality, that's what mtx are, shortcuts to obtain stuff already in the game without putting effort or time

near

Gold Member
Its not malicious at all, don't be silly!

Honestly anyone who played the original would've expected this, and if you think about how the pawn system works it makes sense forcing the player to commit to their runs. Which essentially only means they can still tweak and respec, just based on in-game conditions and restrictions.

Sorry, but like the DLC stuff, the people complaining about it seem to fall into two camps: Those who don't understand how trivial it is (basically time-savers for lazy players), and those who do but are complaining on behalf of those who fall into the first camp!

Its a circular argument which drives clicks and gives people that little dopamine hit of "harrumphing" about meaningless stuff!
DD had a new game option that would allow you to override your save data. DD2 apparently does not. Limiting the item usage to enable the character edit, then ensuring the game doesn’t have a new game option, while offering you the alternative to purchase the item for real money is by definition malicious.

As someone who is not opposed to mtx in F2P games and has spent hundreds of £$€ on them, I can tell you for free that Capcom in this instance is being incredibly scummy with how they’re trying to upsell you on content. It is trivial until you’re affected by it. Some people just choose to see right through corporate bullshit. Capcom having included mtx in other games, doesn’t justify them using them now either. But I don’t recall them being this blatant in trying to corner there consumers.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
The game is using these expensive components for something. That’s a good thing. Right?
they're kind of not using it that well seeing as how the game isn't all that visually demanding and many other open world games with similar systems run better.

Griffon

Selling convenience is an incentive to make the game inconvenient.

This is an inexcusable move by Capcom. The more you tolerate it the more they will do it and the worse it will get.
DMC5 already had slow and infuriating death animations just so they could push you to buy yellow orbs MTX. It was fucking trash.

Those kind of mtx actively make the games worse.

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
DD had a new game option that would allow you to override your save data. DD2 apparently does not. Limiting the item usage to enable the character edit, then ensuring the game doesn’t have a new game option, while offering you the alternative to purchase the item for real money is by definition malicious.

As someone who is not opposed to mtx in F2P games and has spent hundreds of £$€ on them, I can tell you for free that Capcom in this instance is being incredibly scummy with how they’re trying to upsell you on content. It is trivial until you’re affected by it. Some people just choose to see right through corporate bullshit. Capcom having included mtx in other games, doesn’t justify them using them now either. But I don’t recall them being this blatant in trying to corner there consumers.

Given that the reviewers all got their hands on the game prior to the mtx going live, I do not see a problem at all.

Its literally the exact same scenario as the Resi 4 remake. These add-ons are just time savers for the lazy, so excuse me if I cannot share your concern. Its a nothing-burger to me.

To be truthful I don't feel like its the audience's place to dictate how things are upsold, I certainly cannot see Capcom pulling the MTX so I highly doubt anything's going to come of this.

It also doesn't seem like there's any "win" here, I mean ultimately it comes down to buy or don't buy, so you can either stand on (a meaningless) principle and deny yourself a good game, or just decide to deal with the restrictions the game imposes diegetically and don't pay for time-savers.

I know which one works for me!

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I haven’t bothered following this because I’m not buying DD2 anytime soon. But I saw in a review that they’re selling a Waypoint marker as DLC??

That’s Activision level shit right there.

Topher

Gold Member
I haven’t bothered following this because I’m not buying DD2 anytime soon. But I saw in a review that they’re selling a Waypoint marker as DLC??

That’s Activision level shit right there.

It is just stupid. Even then you have to use ferrystones to use those portals and they are very expensive in the game. Just not a feasible way to fast travel, imo. I use ox carts instead.

Certainly can't imagine the money Capcom is getting from this shit is worth the backlash.

Yes stop whining, games are free after all... oh wait

No keep whining, microtransactions are mandatory after all....oh wait

Last edited:

El gallo

The only thing i have to say about this game that no one is pointing out is how the fuck in 2024 you have an open world game set in medieval times and there’s no horse riding?

That’s some lazy ass programming, walk or take a cart is fucking lame. This game is more DD1.5 than a legitimate sequel.

Ogbert

It's amazing how differently certain games are treated.

Suicide Squad (admittedly shit) was eviscerated by the media. This, in contrast, not a peep.

Not being able to start a new game is absolute dogshit. Nudging people towards paying to edit their character is absolute dogshit. This isn't some 'high art' designer choice.

It's dogshit.

Liljagare

It’s not review bombing. People have legit complaints about the game. Whether you agree with them or not they are valid criticisms. These star systems on console are dumb because you can’t even articulate how you came to your rating.

Fair criticism is always good, but there is alot of FUD being spread too.

The only thing i have to say about this game that no one is pointing out is how the fuck in 2024 you have an open world game set in medieval times and there’s no horse riding?

That’s some lazy ass programming, walk or take a cart is fucking lame. This game is more DD1.5 than a legitimate sequel.
Or.....horse do not exist in that world? You know, like cyclops, ogres and griffin's don't exist in ours? Or dragons?

The game wants you to interact with it, not ride past it

Nudging people towards paying to edit their character is absolute dogshit. This isn't some 'high art' designer choice.

It's dogshit.
You can edit yourself and pawn, in game, using in game currency that is easily acquired from relatively early on, using an item that was also in the original (without the drama)

You also get a free character & pawn creator app to make as many edits you like before you even start! Then option to do that again at the start of the game also doest help your daft, unnecessary outrage.

So that's unlimited chances before game
+ 1 chance at start of game
+ 1 chance per game/ng+ to buy the ingame item to change your look

If you need to redesign yourself after that many goes and regoes, that's on you, not the game

thief183

BTW... you can buy the metamorphism thingy at the first vendor you find for 500 MO, the revive thingy is super common this time around, I'm 10 hours in and I got 6 (from pawn quests), the "change personality thingy" is bs cause iy is random and you are better of buying the Ingatestone one that are better. The only bs mtx are the crystals cause if you want you can take a really high level pawn and go on autopilot.

One last thing, there are 5 mobile telephone location and some fixed one on the cities, you can buy a max of other 5 mobile one cause you can't have more than 10, to use them you still need to consume the infame item.

I think this protest is a BS and I kinda want to buy it again just to spit on the haters.

near

Gold Member
I think this protest is a BS and I kinda want to buy it again just to spit on the haters.
Support the games you like, there is nothing wrong with that. But don’t be offended if others don’t share your sentiments. Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Shows how completely pointless the mtx are

You do understand this primarily a CONSOLE game right? And consoles aren't riddled with cheats/hacks like the PC space is.

The irony being that all the pearl clutching is coming from PC gamers FOR WHOM THIS WORKARAOUND WAS ALWAYS GOING TO BE AVAILABLE!

Just shows how empty and performative it all is, in my honest opinion!

Top Bottom