• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Drakengard 3 |OT| This Silence Is Mine

Jisgsaw

I thought Branch A's ending was supposed to lead into the first game. Or at least that's how I interpreted Brother's actions at the end, that it was supposed to be the origin of the Cult of Watchers. Granted it's been ages since I've played the first Drakengard.

I thought so too, but the pact was created in Branch B, so...

Terra_Ex

My import copy finally turned up, I played a bit of it and wanted to share some initial thoughts. From a technical standpoint, it's poor, control of your character is entirely too rigid and would benefit from some transitional animations as your character changes between different states and would give movement some sense of fluidity. I wasn't expecting anything approaching technically competent from these devs though, framerate issues are also prevalent even when there's nothing of note happening in the scene.

Level design so far is uninspired, the main draw is hearing what Zero/Mikhail and the various soldiers say as you cut them all down. Combined with the technical shortcomings listed above I honestly feel like I'm playing a PS2 era title in terms of mechanical scope. All this being said, I thought that both previous Drakengard's are guilty of all the above listed issues. While I enjoy Drakengard I'm still amazed Square greenlit this when they have a whole host of more deserving IPs and developers languishing in a vault somewhere.

On the plus side of things, I'm enjoying the conversations and voices overall, just beat Five and not much solid plot has presented itself thus far, hopefully that will change. I knew I'd heard Zero's voice before and it turns out she also voiced Mitsuro in Persona 3 and Hrist in Valkyrie Profile 2, so that's a plus and will help carry me through the game

This probably comes across as overly harsh considering I'm liking (but not loving) the game so far but it is what it is.

Yuterald

Nearing the end of Branch D. How much of a world of pain am I in for, ha!? Loved Ending A, but I've been completely confused since going through Branch B and C. What the fuuuuuuck has been going on in this game? I think we're going to need a spoiler thread soon. I've seen, I think, a connection to the original Drakengard game, but I could be totally wrong.

Szadek

Nearing the end of Branch D. How much of a world of pain am I in for, ha!? Loved Ending A, but I've been completely confused since going through Branch B and C. What the fuuuuuuck has been going on in this game? I think we're going to need a spoiler thread soon. I've seen, I think, a connection to the original Drakengard game, but I could be totally wrong.
You have not known pain until you fought the final boss.

Astarte

omg I'm here now! holllllllly shit!!! this is so bad I fucking love it lol lol!!!! How long is this segment!?
I got to the third flower bloom 0_0
This seems impossible!

Six total parts, two asshole notes. It'll only take a few tries to get the rhythm down, and then you can wallow in anger as the final note kills you.

Yuterald

6 parts? Christ...I can't even pass the third part! This is wild n' crazy kids stuff. Absolutely weirdest/most retarded final boss/segment I've ever seen...but I think I'm in love...with this entire game, actually. Eyes started to water during the scene that played before this part too...haven't been chocked up during a game in a loooong time. =*<(

Yuterald

I wanna say you get a few weapons from some of the Accord missions as a first-time clear reward. Maybe that's the one you're missing? Also, have you opened every treasure chest in the game?

Meanwhile...this final Branch D scenario ain't happening...at least not anytime soon. I got to the 6th part and it's just completely out of control. It's asking way too much of me, for now.

omg I'm here now! holllllllly shit!!! this is so bad I fucking love it lol lol!!!! How long is this segment!?
I got to the third flower bloom 0_0
This seems impossible!
When you get to the last note, get a stopwatch. Time it in a youtube video to get the perfect timing down. That's the only way I got it finished. I didn't have many problems with the first 6 parts, it's part 7 that gets difficult.

Anyone know where the Ring of Lament chakram is? It's the only one I'm missing. D:
Chapter 4 Verse 2. In one of the chests.

neohwa

art direction is superb. music, story and characters are good. gameplay is okay. graphics, framerate, animation, and loading are bad.

definitely worth to play if you want to play a game with crazy characters and story with some dark humor.

a question, why do people consider drakengard a RPG? If this is a RPG, then Dynasty Warriors is a RPG as well. They should be action games, no?

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
art direction is superb. music, story and characters are good. gameplay is okay. graphics, framerate, animation, and loading are bad.

definitely worth to play if you want to play a game with crazy characters and story with some dark humor.

a question, why do people consider drakengard a RPG? If this is a RPG, then Dynasty Warriors is a RPG as well. They should be action games, no?

Same way Mass Effect counts as RPG. It has light RPG elements.

Cheska

What weapon did you guys find yourself using the most throughout the earlier parts of the games? And how do I unlock the silver base upgrades?

Same way Mass Effect counts as RPG. It has light RPG elements.

It does have RPG elements: level up and weapon equipment customization which is not enough for me to consider it RPG. If it had ability/skills to customize and unlock then I probably would consider it RPG. Otherwise, it's no different than Dyansty Warriors like the other person mentioned which is action/hack and slash. Just my opinion though.

On another note, what's a good place to each the most money? I've gota obtain all weapons before moving to Branch D.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
What weapon did you guys find yourself using the most throughout the earlier parts of the games? And how do I unlock the silver base upgrades?

The combat bracers once I got them and switch to the sword for crowd control from time to time.

On another note, what's a good place to each the most money? I've gota obtain all weapons before moving to Branch D.
Do Accord's requests and you'll get a payday mission which is just money farming, but be sure to do the payday for each one first since it requires you do three more regular missions for that area to unlock again.

Yuterald

Well...I hate resorting to FAQs/YouTube to finish a game/see an ending, but this is just so beyond ridiculous. I attempted to sync the "how-to" video with my game and I got to what I thought was the end and paused my video, but it wasn't over and I missed a note! I've since tried to do a few more times and I guess I'm not synching the two together because now I'm not even getting close to the end... =/

This is the BIGGEST boner move I've seen from a dev in the loooooongest time, ha!

Does that end up being even stronger than the DLC weapons?

Doubt it. I haven't seen the DLC weapon's stats, but I don't think so. It gets pretty good towards the end and I never felt it necessary to use another sword. Though that could have been because I always had a very powerful lance weapon.

Cheska

You mean boxes? Coins and junk for money.

Alright, cool. Thanks =]

Doubt it. I haven't seen the DLC weapon's stats, but I don't think so. It gets pretty good towards the end and I never felt it necessary to use another sword. Though that could have been because I always had a very powerful lance weapon.

It's the strongest sword I have right now, so looks like I'll be sticking with it as well haha,

Yuterald

There goes Ending A...

Well... then...

Ending A was actually my favorite ending of the bunch, now that I've seen everything. The scene before the true final boss in Ending C did cause me to choke up, though. First time all year my emotional strings were pulled, ha! This game will definitely go down in my top 10 GOTY (probably my current GOTY) list despite it having THE WORST final segment...(END D spoilers below);

...So, yeah, I had to resort to a YouTube video for the final ending. I don't consider myself to be one without rhythm either. I just didn't have the patience to practice that fucking shit over and over again only to have to start over from the beginning because I couldn't get a particular note down. But whatever, it's done now and the game's out of my head...until the rest of the DLC comes out, ha!

Asturie

So just started playing the game and fought Five. After the fight
and you are stabbing her, two censored screens occur; the first is a video censor showing zero in moe form but can hear everything going on, and later the kid is shown but the audio is silenced.
Is that built into the game originally or was it edited for NA release?

and you are stabbing her, two censored screens occur; the first is a video censor showing zero in moe form but can hear everything going on, and later the kid is shown but the audio is silenced.

Pretty sure it's just a 4th wall joke.

Alright according to the game I have 88% of weapons, purchased every weapon from the store, is there a comprehensive guide to finding all the weapons? Or should i just got back to each chapter where I'm missing a chest and find it?

Also do I need to do any accord quests for weapons?

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!

Nope exactly the same in the JP version.

Happen to remember which ones in particular?

I found a list:

Swords:
Virginal Sin - "On the Move" Request in Land of the Forests
Broken Iron - "Shooting Stars" Request in the Cathedral City

Spears:
Spear of Empathy - "Flint Stint" Request in Land of the Mountains

Knuckles:
Azure Arms - "Comet's Trail" Request in the Cathedral City

Chakrams:
Imperial Coffin - "Book Club's: Sanctity" Request in the Land of the Forests

Some of the names might be wrong because it's translated from a Japanese list.
Also can I quit a story chapter verse after breaking a chest and still possess/register the item from that chest, or do i need to complete the mission?
I'm pretty sure you have to complete it to the end of the mission. There's a guide/maps for all the chests here.

Awesome! Thanks for the assistance friend! I hope branch D is worth this...

I have a feeling I have no idea how much agony that will soon befall me...

Mohasus

I used a 122 attack level 4 sword for a long time, Eternal Voice (not sure if this was the name). Then I switched to another one when I unlocked more materials, and finally Zero's Blade (level 4). Barely used another type of weapons, spears are good but you need an interrupted attack to be effective and that hardly happens.

I used a 122 attack level 4 sword for a long time, Eternal Voice (not sure if this was the name). Then I switched to another one when I unlocked more materials, and finally Zero's Blade (level 4). Barely used another type of weapons, spears are good but you need an interrupted attack to be effective and that hardly happens.

I used the same.

But now almost fully defaulted to Caim's sword/Nier DLC weapons though.

Noi

Reached and beat Branch D tonight.

I'm pretty sure I went through a couple of the stages of Grief in the past few hours. That feeling of dread as
the camera panned over the grey, eerily familiar landscape before the flower sprouted
and my bout of anger upon realizing that
YOKO TARO IS THE BIGGEST ASSHOLE IN THE UNIVERSE FOR REUSING THAT BOSS FIGHT FROM D1.

Reached and beat Branch D tonight.

I'm pretty sure I went through the five stages of Grief in the past couple of hours. That feeling of dread as
the camera panned over the grey, eerily familiar landscape
and my bout of anger upon realizing that
YOKO TARO IS THE BIGGEST ASSHOLE IN THE UNIVERSE FOR REUSING THAT BOSS FIGHT FROM D1.
I've given up on the game and went to youtube to see the ending I do not have the reason of mind to deal with
such a bullcrap rhythm game final boss like that. I MEAN WHO DOES THAT AND YOU MAKE THE CAMERA PAN AWAY SO THAT I CAN'T SEE ANYTHING HAHAH NOPE I REFUSE TO GET ANGRY I WILL JUST STOP PLAYING! I REFUSE TO WASTE ANOTHER HOUR OF MY LIFE ON THIS!

Noi

The only reason I even pushed myself to beat it is because
I did beat the D1 Final Boss, which is arguably harder since that one has two alternating colors to press. This one is technically easier due to it only being one, plus all the different camera angles and positionings on the rings made using sight alone moot up to a point. Completely lucked out and did the final invisible ring on the first attempt.

But whatever, I still love the game. Only need to finish maxing out weapons and to do the final survival request before I put it down.

Actually much high than I expected, 9.8% of people who have played Drakengard 3 beat Branch D. At the same time I suppose it makes sense given it's such a niche game.

Groof

Think I'm going to skip waiting for the EU update and just go ahead and play it this week. Really want to read all these spoiler tags!

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
I need to lay down.
9AjFW06.jpg

Clov

Branch D final boss.

I keep messing up on part of One's song. It's right when the camera turns and two rings get sent out. Not sure why my timing is so off on this. It's very frustrating.

Top Bottom